PDA

View Full Version : RIP Huw Lloyd Langton

strawberrybrick
12-07-2012, 06:19 AM
From Hawkwind's Facebook page,

"It is with immense sadness that we have to let you know our great friend of many years and fellow musician Huw Lloyd Langton passed away peacefully last night.

Huw had been bravely fighting cancer for a couple of years, but was determined not to let the battle affect his day to day life. He continued to play his guitar, laugh, joke and share the great love he had in his heart, with all who knew him.

As he wished, he was at home when the time came, with his ever strong and loving wife Marion at his side.

Huw was one of the great guitarists with an individual style and character. He is gone but never forgotten by any of us. He will live on in our music and in our hearts.

We will update you all with details of funeral and remembrance plans as and when we have them.

Meanwhile we are opening a book of condolence on our forum for all of the many people who will wish to share their thoughts at this sad time. (http://hawkwindforum.freeforums.org/)."

DrGoon
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I am privileged to have had many good times in Huw's company, and counted him as a friend. He was a good spirit, a kind and gentle man with a great sense of humor. His personal qualities were reflected in his playing - he was a truly great guitarist who gave transformative contributions to Hawkwind and Widowmaker. I'll miss him.

Lino
12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
RIP Huw! A great guitarist and Hawkwind legend. Took this vid last year in Cleveland...the only time I ever got to see him. He seemed like such a great guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrvqh0z5-Q&list=UUgK8xfapywy1HNf_LBC4P0Q&index=43

spacefreak
12-07-2012, 08:21 AM
RIP. I recently revisited his Lloyd Langton Group "Night Air" recording and it surprised me of how fresh it sounded...

Lino
12-07-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nO9CJolNGVM

kid_runningfox
12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Very, very sad. HLL's playing on those Hawkwind albums is tremendous, and he was a huge influence on my own guitar playing. 61 is WAY too young to go. RIP Huw.

dropforge
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Bummer. Had no idea he had cancer. I'll have to spin Chronicle Of The Black Sword today in remembrance. RIP. I have a CD by Huw's band somewhere. I'll have to find it somewhere within the stacks...

rapidfirerob
12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Saw him on the Space Rock Invasion Tour a year ago. Sorry to hear this.

spellbound
12-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Rest in peace, Huw.

tom unbound
12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
(click on pictures to enlarge)

I - I - I - can hardly believe this. I only saw him once, and he was beyond great both as a musician and a person. Loved his talking between songs. Bye Huw , fare well.

TheNefariousHED
12-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Very sad news to wake up to this morning -- combined with Ed Cassidy and Dave Brubeck, it's been a sad week in music.

Esoteric
12-07-2012, 01:13 PM
very sorry to hear this, Mark playe with Hugh quite a few times late 80's /early 90's. Lovely guy.

NewEARS
12-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Hawkwind have announced that former member Huw Lloyd Langton has died after a cancer battle. He was 61.

The guitarist joined the band in 1970, appearing on their self-titled first album. He returned for a second stint in 1979 and remained for nine years, ultimately appearing on ten of their records.

He’d been a member of Widowmaker and played as part of Leo Sayer’s band. He’d continued working with Dave Brock – the pair recently performed a charity concert for the Devon Air Ambulance Trust. He also made regular guest appearances with Hawkwind, or performed support slots.

He fronted his own band, the Lloyd Langton Group, which released nine albums. He also played session guitar for the Meads of Asphodel.

The band say in a statement: “Our great friend and fellow musician Huw Lloyd Langton has sadly lost his long battle with cancer. He passed away peacefully last night (Thursday) at home, with his wife Marion by his side.

“Huw had been bravely fighting cancer for a couple of years, but was determined not to let the battle affect his day to day life. He continued to play his guitar, laugh, joke and share the great love he had in his heart, with all who knew him.

“As he wished, he was at home when the time came.

“Huw was one of the great guitarists with an individual style and character. He is gone but never forgotten by any of us. He will live on in our music and in our hearts.

“A book of condolence has been opened.”

NewEARS - New England's Ear on Progressive Rock
www.newears.org

bRETT
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Guess we can be a little more grateful if we got to see his terrific performances on the tour with Nektar and Brainticket last year.

strawberrybrick
12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Thread in OT on it. Sad indeed.

strawberrybrick
12-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Glad to see this headlined at the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20640580

Lino
12-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Finally...home from work and able to enjoy some Huw music and vids.
Man I loved his song writing in the Chronicles era...Moonglum, Rocky Paths etc. Great vocalist as well as guitarist. RIP dude, you rocked!

Big Ears
12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I saw Huw with Widowmaker and, despite their incredible lineup (Keith Ellis and Luther Grosvenor) and the fact he may not have been an official member, he was a great guitar player and stood out from his bandmates. He played on the first Hawkwind album and several others on his return after Widowmaker folded. These include Sonic Attack, which I think is underrated. RIP

notallwhowander
12-07-2012, 06:20 PM
RIP.

Bummer.

Homburg
12-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm sad to hear this. Hawkwind have been a unique free-floating exemplar of counter-cultural psychedelic good vibes. Hugh has played a key part. RIP, man!

TheH
12-08-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm very sad. Huw's soaring lead guitar was once the main reason I became a Hawkwind fan.

I didn't know he had cancer. The poor guy was punished enough with legionnaires' disease he was infected with
while touring with Hawkwind.

Gonna miss him much. RIP, Huw!

bobert
12-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Saw him on the Space Rock Invasion Tour a year ago. Sorry to hear this.

Ditto. RIP to Huw.

Rune Blackwings
12-08-2012, 11:25 AM
So happy and blessed to have seen Huw in Sellersville last year. He and Marion were so nice and friendly. He spent a long time talking to fans, including me, after the show. He was among my favorite guitarists and I am very, very sad he is gone at such a relatively young age.

Rune Blackwings
12-08-2012, 11:26 AM
hope you don't mind i pinned your video on my pinterest board dedicated to Huw, Lino.

JohnTG8
12-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Don't know that anybody covered this but the former lead guitar player for Hawkwind as well as frontman for his own band has died at the age of 61 on Dec. 6.

AncientChord
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Wow...Sorry to hear of his passing. Saw him in 2011 as the opener of the Space Invasion Tour. Although I never really followed Hawkwind, I was surprised by his good and entertaining solo set. RIP.

Lino
12-10-2012, 09:42 AM
hope you don't mind i pinned your video on my pinterest board dedicated to Huw, Lino.

Not at all Jen. Glad you like it. :)

Lino
12-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow...Sorry to hear of his passing. Saw him in 2011 as the opener of the Space Invasion Tour. Although I never really followed Hawkwind, I was surprised by his good and entertaining solo set. RIP.

This video is just fantastic, one of the best modern Hawkwind representation out there. Arthur Brown even appears on guest vocals for a couple tracks and they even do a couple Arthur songs. But never the less... this is a SUPERB dvd, which you can see for free on YT. Here you will get to see Huw playing some BEAUTIFULL guitar throughout, a true testament to his talent and lovely style of playing. Who knows, might even make a new Hawkwind fan. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OciWQFO4ew

Lopez
12-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Sad news for sure. Saw Huw with Hawkwind years ago in Philly. Great show. All my favorites are leaving: Dave Brubeck, Cass, and now Huw.

Toka
12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Anything Huw related has been my go-to all week when I hit the "I don't know what to listen to" speedbump. RIP. Very thankful I was able to see him play and chat with him a bit in Sellersville last year.

ffroyd
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Wow, I just saw this. So sad. I hung out with him for a little bit after the show in Sayersville, too. Really nice guy. He will be sadly missed.