PDA

View Full Version : Simple Minds

Library Jon
12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Any Simple Minds fans? I just picked up a few of the 90s albums that I was missing and now basically have it all. Would anyone care to share their favorite albums? Least favorite albums? Anyone else pick up the new "5X5 LIVE" CD that was released recently?

Library Jon

markwoll
12-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Haven't thought about them for a while.
I wore the groves off of some Simple Minds vinyl.
At the time they were new I really liked "Life in a Day, Real to Real Cacophony, Empires and Dance, Sons and Fascination, Sister Feelings Call"
Theme for Great Cities is one of my favorite singles.
New Gold Dream (81–82–83–84) and then "Sparkle in the Rain" then it was pretty much downhill for me.
The whole Breakfast Club thing wore them out.

Now I need to rip all the vinyl, that's going to be a nice chore.

mark

Library Jon
12-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Mark, There is a recently released boxed set called Simple Minds- "5X5" which has the entire first five albums with a ton of bonus tracks for the die-hards. Highly recomended.

Library Jon

markwoll
12-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Ok, you sold me.
Amazon has one fewer for sale.
Trying not to sound like a total shill, but what a great deal. If you like that sort of thing.
mark

sonic
12-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Anyone else pick up the new "5X5 LIVE" CD that was released recently?

Yes. I picked this set up a few months ago. Awesome value! Strangely enough I like their first album the best followed by Empires and Dance. The production on Sparkle in the Rain is horrible, but I like the music.

spacefreak
12-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Would anyone care to share their favorite albums?

"Real to Real Cacophony".

Rufus
12-11-2012, 04:45 AM
A big fan from Sparkle in the Rain onwards. Just bought my ticket for their Greatest Hits tour next year !

Reach
12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Sparkle In The Rain for me. I also like some of their recent material. Dig it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5iW58473mg

sonic
12-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Sparkle In The Rain for me. I also like some of their recent material. Dig it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5iW58473mg
That's great. Is the whole album consistant? How about previous albums from the '90s on?

Library Jon
12-11-2012, 12:39 PM
For those of you who miss the early era Simple Minds, I highly recommend their newest 2009 studio album called "Graffiti Soul." With this release, they have clearly moved on from the Breakfast Club days. Warning: There is a two disc version with a collection of covers.

Check it out.

Library Jon

Reach
12-11-2012, 01:06 PM
That's great. Is the whole album consistant? How about previous albums from the '90s on?

Well, some of us think so. But then, I also really like the previous two albums: Black & White 050505 and Cry. Those are maybe a little more poppy/techno, but very well done. Very catchy, yet still arty.

Progbear
12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I really liked their stuff up to and including New Gold Dream, with Sons and Fascination/Sisters Feeling Call probably their high point. With Sparkle in the Rain they started getting too AOR-ish for my tastes. Life in a Day is an underrated album I find; it’s still pretty derivative (you can tell they were listening to lots of Roxy and Sparks) but I think the songs are strong.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Une nuit a Paris”-10cc/The Original Soundtrack

PotatoSolution
12-11-2012, 05:39 PM
I forgot about them.

Reach
12-11-2012, 06:52 PM
From what I've heard (most albums) I still think Sparkle In The Rain is the best. Why? I attribute it a fair amount to the production-- precisely what some others criticise. I don't mean the mix necessarily; but what Steve Lillywhite was able to bring out of the band: a passionate, powerful, mystical, spontaneous performance. I've never heard Jim Kerr quite like that, before or since. The tunes, and delivery-- regardless of sound or mix-- completely win the day. It sounds to me just what they were searching for, and on this one, they found it.

Sunlight Caller
12-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Loved them for years but quality dipped after New Gold Dream, though it took me a while to admit the truth! The 5x5 tour was wonderful though, I saw them twice this year, brilliant shows, so will be sure to get the new live set. The five disc set is such brilliant value too, if you remotely enjoyed the early days, get it you will fall in love again.

They are touring next year with a greatest hits package, but strangely not playing London. I'll see them for sure though.

Oh and of later albums, Graffiti Soul is very good, the covers disc less so.

Reach
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
To me, everything before Sparkle In The Rain sounds like cocaine-fueled claustrophobia. Creative and interesting, but not necessarily enjoyable, to my ears at least. With SITR, it sounds like they could open up, stretch, and breathe. It is both immediate and evocative/atmospheric. Energy plus imagery. For the first time, every tune is a gem.

And curiously, I still remember Rush bassist/singer Geddy Lee playing this song on the radio circa 1984, when asked what he is listening to now (he also played King Crimson's Discipline):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2p3uzgFyUPo&feature=endscreen

Library Jon
12-11-2012, 09:24 PM
I just listened to the Simple Minds' "Sunday Express" live 2 disc set. It was some kind of promo CD given away by a British newspaper. It can be found on Ebay at a fair price. Highly recommended. Some interesting studio bonus tracks on it.

Library Jon

Mythos
12-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Simple Minds were a very easy band for me to like coming out of a prog-rock back ground of the 70's.

Sons and Fascination IS Progressive rock, all the instruments and musicianship is there.. love that release..

Although my fav has to be New Gold Dream, that is so polished and just perfect, another of my top (10) 80's fav's.

Herbie Hancock is awesome on Hunter & the Hunted...

rottersclub
12-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Another reco for the 5x5 box set. Previously, I only knew their stuff starting with New Gold Dream.

I think it's the second disc that I liked the best of the bunch - uh, Real to Reel Cacophony. Then Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call.

sonic
12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Life in a Day is an underrated album I find; it’s still pretty derivative (you can tell they were listening to lots of Roxy and Sparks) but I think the songs are strong.

My sentiments exactly.

ProgUK
12-15-2012, 10:21 AM
I cant believe no one has mentioned the two Trevor Horn produced albums, which i think are just fantastic!:Real Life and Street Fighting Years!

Rufus
12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Like i sed...Sparke in the Rain onwards was their best period so that includes Street Fighting Years & Real Life !

roddenberry
12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Argh. I have all their early stuff on vinyl, including rare EPs and singles. I really like them but I don't know if it's worth my time to rip the old vinyls to MP3s... I could buy that 5x5 thing maybe? I see it at around $30 on eBay...

Robert

roddenberry
12-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Well I splurged! I was waiting for an order at the restaurant and wandered to FreeSon and saw they had 5X5 at $25!
Been listening to it since this morning. A lot of music on these six CDs!!! A worthwile box set!!

http://www.progmontreal.com/arch/simpleminds.jpg

Robert

Library Jon
12-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I love The "Real Life" and "Street Fighting Years" albums. Does anyone have that early 90s fan club live album which is mentioned on Wikipedia? How is it?

Library Jon

sonic
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Live in the City of Light is an awesome album. It shows them at their best during their heyday.

Library Jon
12-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Many years ago, I bought the Simple Minds' "Alive And Kicking" cassette single. I played it to death back then. Does anyone else have that? Does anyone know where I can get those tracks on CD?

Library Jon

everythingtoexcess
12-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I bought Good News From the Next World out of a bargain bin about fifteen years ago. Hands down the best $5 I ever spent on music. Great songs and THUNDEROUS production. I also really like Live in the City of Lights, but I haven't been able to get into too many of their other studio albums. Not sure why. Maybe I should give them another shot.

yogibear
12-25-2012, 03:45 PM
i saw these guys back in the day when they toured for "new gold dream". i liked the show but not having heard any of their stuff prior to the show made it harder since familiarity breeds likability. think i picked up the new gold dream around this period and the next one but overall they were ok/good but with lillywhite produciing they came off a little like a U2 wannabe band.

JKL2000
12-26-2012, 07:33 PM
New Gold Dream (81–82–83–84) and then "Sparkle in the Rain" then it was pretty much downhill for me.
The whole Breakfast Club thing wore them out.

Ditto. Yeah, some of the earlier stuff was pretty good too.

JIF
03-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I got Once Upon A Time a few days ago at Second Spin. It was the original A&M/Virgin cd(not remastered). The sound was very good, so I don't think I'll be upgrading to any remaster. Has anyone heard the original CDs? I would like to get some opinions on the sound, because I might just pick up New Gold Dream since the original CD is only $1 on Amazon(used).

Progbear
03-08-2013, 01:19 AM
↑Beware those old Virgin CDs. I used to have the original issue of Life in a Day, and it was one of the worst CDs I’d ever heard. I’d hold out for the remasters, the sound quality is improved immesurably, and they’re not terribly expensive (I got used copies of Life in a Day, Reel to Real Cacophony and Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call for $5 a pop).

Incidentally, I’ve had Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call on the old MP3 player and...wow, those are good albums!

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Clairvoyance”-Asturias/Circle in the Forest

JIF
03-08-2013, 01:35 AM
↑Beware those old Virgin CDs. I used to have the original issue of Life in a Day, and it was one of the worst CDs I’d ever heard. I’d hold out for the remasters, the sound quality is improved immesurably, and they’re not terribly expensive (I got used copies of Life in a Day, Reel to Real Cacophony and Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call for $5 a pop).

Incidentally, I’ve had Sons & Fascination/Sister Feelings Call on the old MP3 player and...wow, those are good albums!

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Clairvoyance”-Asturias/Circle in the ForestIt was the original A&M cd, and it sounded just fine.

philsunset
03-09-2013, 05:11 AM
From what I've heard (most albums) I still think Sparkle In The Rain is the best. Why? I attribute it a fair amount to the production-- precisely what some others criticise. I don't mean the mix necessarily; but what Steve Lillywhite was able to bring out of the band: a passionate, powerful, mystical, spontaneous performance. I've never heard Jim Kerr quite like that, before or since. The tunes, and delivery-- regardless of sound or mix-- completely win the day. It sounds to me just what they were searching for, and on this one, they found it.

+1! Well said.

Rufus
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I rate every thing from Sparkle in the Rain to the present day very highly , anything before that not so highly !

Mythos
03-10-2013, 03:49 AM
I rate every thing from Sparkle in the Rain to the present day very highly , anything before that not so highly !

That's an odd statement on a Prog Site, because Sons & Facination, Sister Feelings call, and New Gold Dream are practically Prog albums (based on their instrumentation) while the later stuff was vocals dominated...

Sunlight Caller
03-10-2013, 04:17 AM
I heard the new single Broken Glass Park and thought what is this 80's track I've never heard, and what a Simple Minds rip off, then they said who it was. Only heard it once, it was ok, but I hoped for more of a return to the darker sounds, as they had toured 5x5 last year, which was wonderful. Mind you this years tour is greatest hits, so it going to ba all the stuff I like less. New Gold Dream was the pinnacle for me.

Rufus
03-10-2013, 08:47 AM
That's an odd statement on a Prog Site, because Sons & Facination, Sister Feelings call,
and New Gold Dream are practically Prog albums (based on their instrumentation) while the later stuff was vocals dominated...

Meant to say from New Gold Dream onwards...sorry but their earlier electronic albums were not as good as what their peers were doing ...kraftwerk , Depeche Mode , Tubeway Army / Numan et al !

Halmyre
03-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Life In A Day is a bit meh (but then I haven't listened to it in ages). Real To Real Cacophony is more interesting and then there's the golden age of Empires and Dance, Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call and New Gold Dream. Sparkle In The Rain is where the cracks start to show; Once Upon A Time is empty noise and I lost interest after that. Around that time Jim Kerr was a bit dismissive of complaints about the band's direction, he thought they were complaining only because they were now too popular (or words to that effect).

Library Jon
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I think that you guys are being too hard on Simple Minds for releasing "Once Upon A Time." At the time, all the bands were influenced by U2. Also, after that album they did move on to try other styles of music. Their last 4-5 albums don't sound at all like U2.

Library Jon

Library Jon
02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I am interested in picking up Simple Minds CD singles with worthwhile bonus tracks. Can anyone recommend which I should consider buying?

Library Jon

PeterG
02-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Their punky debut album is bloody awful.

I like their synthy, New Romantics sound from RTRC to E & D, S & F and finally on SFC.
Fav album: SFC or RTRC.....hard to decide.

I lost interest in 82 when they decided they were going to be an arena band called U2 ;) For me everything from 82 onwards is horrible and contains most of the elements that people complain about in 80s music.

Valen
02-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Street Fighting Years tour, Edinburgh Meadowbank Stadium 1989 - possibly the finest gig I've ever experienced......

The band were booked into the larger Murrayfield Rugby Stadium, but protested at the Scottish Rugby Union's decision to play apartheid South Africa, and decided to boycott the venue, at considerable expense and inconvenience.

You could tell they were angry and fired up when they hit the stage for a 3 hour show, that ranks as one of the most emotional gigs I've ever experienced. Nelson Mandela was still incarcerated, so you can imagine the vibe when they played Mandela Day. And by the time they closed with Biko, you could see distant lighters aloft on the Arthur's Seat crags overlooking Edinburgh.

There was certainly nothing horrible or empty about their music that night.

Rufus
02-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I have seen Simple Minds on numerous occasions & their set is always predominantly songs from New Gold Dream onwards. That in itself says the earlier stuff is not that popular with either the band of fans!

Everything up until NGD is very patchy, everything after is classic !!!

PeterG
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Sons & Facination, Sister Feelings call, and New Gold Dream

Calling NGD similar to the 2 previous albums is very odd. as they aren't even similar. And calling them "practically prog albums" is way off. Nothing prog about any of them at all. Up to SFC they were synth/New Romatic albums (with the exception of the punky debut).

PeterG
02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
That in itself says the earlier stuff is not that popular with either the band of fans!

Everything up until NGD is very patchy, everything after is classic !!!

Well, it's all very subjective in that the choice of fav SM albums all depends on what else any given fan is listening or listened to. I wasn't then listening to and still don't listen to U2, Big Country, Talking Heads, Thompson Twins and such like. But I was listening to these types of bands that follow and still listen to them and modern equivalents: Marilyn Manson, Depeche Mode, Kraftwerk, Human League, Spandau Ballet, Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Paradise Lost, Rose of Avalanche, New Model Army, The Stranglers, Cure, ABC, Icehouse, Nitzer Ebb, DAF, Siouxsie, Nina Hagen, Einsturzende Neubauten, Ultravox, OMD, Duran Duran, Visage, Gary Numan, Combichrist, Deathstars, The Cult and so on.......so Simple Minds soft poppy 80s albums from NGD onwards just weren't my thing.

Library Jon
02-24-2014, 02:58 PM
I had gotten interested in picking up all of Simple Minds' CD singles. I found on Ebay a brand new factory sealed box set of all of their singles on CD covering 1978- 1992. Basically, covering the era of "Life In A Day" to "Real Life". It was kind of expensive but I really wanted all those remixes and B sides. It shipped on Sunday from Taiwan and I hope for it to arrive in the coming days. I promise to post my thoughts on the box set once I listen to it.

Library Jon

Rufus
02-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I had gotten interested in picking up all of Simple Minds' CD singles. I found on Ebay a brand new factory sealed box set of all of their singles on CD covering 1978- 1992. Basically, covering the era of "Life In A Day" to "Real Life". It was kind of expensive but I really wanted all those remixes and B sides. It shipped on Sunday from Taiwan and I hope for it to arrive in the coming days. I promise to post my thoughts on the box set once I listen to it.

Library Jon
y
Would like that box set myself. I have a few on 3" CD singles that i bought back in the day
Some had different tracks & were released ad Blue, Red etc¡

Sunlight Caller
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
I have all of the Themes singles box sets, well all except the last one which ventured into the 80's stuff that didn't particularly appeal. They are cool collections with stacks of B sides and live additions, basically they collect the 12" singles onto CD's... I have the 12" singles somewhere too, I was ever the completist back in the day!

Rufus
02-24-2014, 04:36 PM
There's a live box DVD/CD set from their latest tour available on their web site, not cheap though!
Dont know if this will get a general release?

Library Jon
02-25-2014, 01:14 PM
I pre-ordered the new Simple Minds live CD/DVD book box set when it was made orderable, last November 2013. Anyone that ordered it before the end of December 2013, received an advance "Big Music EP" in the mail during January 2014 which I did receive. The book box set is due to be shipped out during May 2014. I have to recommend that the "Concert Live" website is selling sound board recordings of several Simple Minds shows which occurred during fall 2013. Being a big fan, I bought them. They sound great.

Library Jon

Library Jon
03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
It was posted on Simple Minds' official web site that the soon to be shipped Simple Mind's live CD/DVD book box set will cease to be orderable at the end of March 2014.

Library Jon

bob_32_116
04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I only have Sons and Fascination. there are 13 tracks; I have an idea that my copy of S&F is in fact the original album plus Sister Feelings Call.

I bought it for Love Song,but I like most of it, with special mention going to In Trance as Mission (amazing album opening), The American, Theme for Great Cities and Wonderful in Young Life. I have to be in the mood for songs like Boys From Brazil,Sweat In Bullet and Sons and Fascination.

Simple Minds are one of those bands I can like without feeling I need to own more than one album. They did seem to go a bit dull and too "radio-friendly" around the time of New Gold Dream. Belfast Child was an interesting exercise, though I think they dragged the song out too long.

Mythos
04-05-2014, 02:01 AM
And calling them "practically prog albums" is way off. Nothing prog about any of them at all.

Don't feel bad Pete, a lot of people don't understand what prog is, but you are in the right place to learn, listen and enjoy...!

markwoll
04-05-2014, 11:06 AM
^^^:up:up:lol

brahseph
11-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Is it possible that Simple Minds opened for Yes at some shows on the 90215 tour? It seems like they both played on the same date at the Westfalenhalle in Dortmund, Germany:

Simple Minds - The American
Dortmund Westfalenhalle, Germany (24/06/1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sR7t6LcAhA

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany, 1984-06-24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgsGQBaijig

I know that Yes planned to have some "new wave" bands like Berlin opening for them on the 90125 tour, but then settled on showing Bugs Bunny cartoons instead (at least in the U.S.) Can anyone confirm that Simple Minds & Yes played together that year?

bob_32_116
11-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Bugs Bunny cartoons instead - I'm not sure what that says about Yes' opinion of Simple Minds.

Halmyre
11-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Is it possible that Simple Minds opened for Yes at some shows on the 90215 tour? It seems like they both played on the same date at the Westfalenhalle in Dortmund, Germany:

Simple Minds - The American
Dortmund Westfalenhalle, Germany (24/06/1984)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sR7t6LcAhA

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart
Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany, 1984-06-24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgsGQBaijig

I know that Yes planned to have some "new wave" bands like Berlin opening for them on the 90125 tour, but then settled on showing Bugs Bunny cartoons instead (at least in the U.S.) Can anyone confirm that Simple Minds & Yes played together that year?

Derek Forbes - tremendous. What a pity we can't hear Mick McNeil's keys.

Rufus
11-13-2014, 01:32 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned the two Trevor Horn produced albums, which i think are just fantastic!:Real Life and Street Fighting Years!

^^^^Their best albums IMO. Never new Trevor Horn produced them!!!!

Just bought their new CD Big Music & its quite strong. Something to like for fans of the early stuff & also for fans of their stadium rock period!

Library Jon
11-13-2014, 01:39 PM
My deluxe copy of the new Simple Minds' CD titled "Big Music" came in the mail, a few days ago. It is a 2 CD/DVD set with six bonus tracks and some music videos. So far, I think that it is very good. I feel that it is one their best releases in a few years. Highly recommended to any Simple Minds fan.

Library Jon

Dusty Chalk
11-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Did they re-record Theme for Great Cities for it again? Aye keed, aye keed

I love them, from the original Theme for Great Cities -- which we almost tried to cover in our garage band, way back in the day -- all the way through their stadium rock period. I'll probably buy Big Music eventually, I bought everything else.

progeezer
11-13-2014, 10:16 PM
For your hilarity:

http://youtu.be/D6Rl0LSknqs

Yup, that's me:p.

Sunlight Caller
11-17-2014, 11:34 AM
I have to say that am really enjoying Big Music. I thought the title was off-putting, and harked back to the stadium days (and The Waterboys earlier phase) , but this album has a sheen that comes from earlier Minds periods (Sons/Sisters -> New Gold Dream) and the tracks are mostly very strong. Steve Hillage produces in part too I am told, but I haven't studied the sleeve notes to see which tracks. I'll definitely be looking out for them when they next tour, it's great to see one of my favourites still producing the goods.

Rick L.
04-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Revisiting Empires and Dance the past few days. Still holds up. The early stuff is really killer shit.

aith01
04-08-2019, 01:28 AM
Their early stuff up through Sparkle In The Rain was really something else, lots of great music to be found there.

That being said, I love their mid-period and even later-period stuff too. Once Upon A Time was an absolutely brilliant art-pop record IMO.

Mythos
04-08-2019, 01:37 AM
I gotta a new vehicle and it has a 10 speaker 550w stereo (with a sub) and the remastered version of New Gold Dream has the most awesome bass and drums...!

Sunlight Caller
03-28-2022, 04:14 PM
Resurrecting this old thread to highly recommend a new biography of the band, Themes For Great Cities, by Graeme Thomson, it’s a fascinating read about those classic early years, when they produced so much wonderful music in such a short span of time.

EBES
03-28-2022, 10:08 PM
Revisiting Empires and Dance the past few days. Still holds up. The early stuff is really killer shit.

Perfectly said. Seems like there's a bit of a bifurcation on this thread between early album people and late album people, with the cusp being New Gold Dream. You can put me in the early camp. I tried Sparke In the Rain and Street Fighting Years but it felt too smooth; I missed the weird abrasive edge of the early stuff.

aith01
03-28-2022, 10:16 PM
Sparkle In The Rain smooth? :meh

I have both early and late albums by the band, and enjoy both for what they are.

Geoff O'Donoghue
03-28-2022, 10:48 PM
Sparkle In The Rain smooth?

Sparkle In the Rain's follow up, Once Upon A Time, is where my Simple Minds collection ends. After that one they pushed further into the epic stadium rock world and I lost interest. However, I have always gone to see them live whenever I have the opportunity as they always deliver. I'm not sure if I'll continue to go to their shows as they had a significant line-up change after 2018's Walk Between Worlds and, based on the performances on Live In The City Of Angels, the change has not been for the better. The replacement for drummer Mel Gaynor is particularly lacking in my opinion.

aith01
03-28-2022, 11:39 PM
Didn’t realize Mel Gaynor wasn’t with them still. That’s a difficult guy to replace; loved his work with SM over the years.

I think they still made some interesting and worthwhile music even after Once Upon a Time. But like a lot of bands, their later stuff has a very high bar to clear when comparing it to their heyday.

Sunlight Caller
03-29-2022, 03:10 PM
Put me down for the early album camp, I don’t mean to be judgmental, but anyone who prefers the stadium era is plain wrong ;)

I was such a huge fan that I stayed on course through to Street Fighting Years, but it was diminishing returns after the high of New Gold Dream. I did enjoy both Sparkle and Once Upon A Time though, even though by the latter it was definitely aiming at rock glory. Fundamentally I really missed Derek Forbes bass, which is an absolute unsung cornerstone of the golden era. Some of those bass lines sound simple, but try playing along to In Trance As Mission, it’s nigh on impossible. I did like Mel Gaynor’s drums, but Brian McGee’s metronomic simplicity and unusual patterns complemented Forbes completely.

I find that I have acquired most of their latter day catalogue too, and live they are still worth seeing. They play London on Thursday, I don’t actually have a ticket, but I may yet be tempted. I so enjoyed the tour when then played selections from the first five, it put me right back to the golden days, when they were the soundtrack of my Uni days. I’m not sure what the setlist is for the current tour, I may have to check it out and see if it’s one for me.

JKL2000
03-29-2022, 08:07 PM
I loved New Gold Dream and Sparkle in the Rain, and still play New Gold Dream sometimes - it's a great album! I seem to remember In Trance as Mission being good too - I hadn't thought of that title in so long! One they had that big hit in "The Breakfast Club" it was all over for me.

Geoff O'Donoghue
03-29-2022, 08:16 PM
Put me down for the early album camp...

Basically I agree with everything you said Sunlight except that I personally don't own any of their studio releases after Once Upon A Time.
I would have loved to have seen the 5x5 Live tour - the album run from Real to Real Cacophony through New Gold Dream is astonishingly good (they were still finding their feet on Life in a Day IMO). I at least have the live album from that tour.
The rhythm section combination of Forbes and McGee is remarkable and I love how many songs in the early era are basically grooves laid down by those two with guitar and keyboards adding colour on top. I've read an interview with Mel Gaynor where he said he had to work really hard in preparation for the 5x5 Live tour to capture the feel of some of those early tracks.
If you go to see them then please do a review. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not sure if the new line-up is still able to deliver live.

Sunlight Caller
03-30-2022, 01:24 AM
I read an interview with Mel Gaynor where he said he had to work really hard in preparation for the 5x5 Live tour to capture the feel of some of those early tracks.

If you go to see them then please do a review. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not sure if the new line-up is still able to deliver live.

Funnily enough I saw Mel Gaynor playing drums not that long ago at the Jazz Café, where we was playing with the reformed Brit Funkers “Light Of The World”, I was surprised to see him as I had no idea he wasn’t still with Simple Minds, and the music was very different. The last time I saw Simple Minds was soon after the 5x5 tour (I don’t have the live album btw) when they played a festival date, which I enjoyed a lot. Catherine Anne Davies was with them then on keys, she releases solo music as The Anchoress, but she too is now out of the live line up, so it’s just Jim and Charlie and a collection of support players. I’m not sure I’ll make it to Wembley tomorrow, it’s my least favourite venue in London and tickets look to be very expensive on the resale market.

per anporth
03-31-2022, 06:31 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/31/simple-minds-jim-kerr-interview

Here to perform the Munster duties

interbellum
03-31-2022, 09:17 AM
Put me down for the early album camp, I don’t mean to be judgmental, but anyone who prefers the stadium era is plain wrong ;)

I was such a huge fan that I stayed on course through to Street Fighting Years, but it was diminishing returns after the high of New Gold Dream. I did enjoy both Sparkle and Once Upon A Time though, even though by the latter it was definitely aiming at rock glory. Fundamentally I really missed Derek Forbes bass, which is an absolute unsung cornerstone of the golden era. Some of those bass lines sound simple, but try playing along to In Trance As Mission, it’s nigh on impossible. I did like Mel Gaynor’s drums, but Brian McGee’s metronomic simplicity and unusual patterns complemented Forbes completely.

First I was very curious when I heard John Giblin took over the bass from Forbes. I'm a hugh fan of Giblin's work on albums from Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Metro/Duncan Browne and of course Brand X. And yes, I also loved Forbes playing. But I think Giblin entered in the wrong (for me at least) period of the band where the guitars took over from the keyboards. I have never heard Giblin's typical sound on any SM-album. So I'm also one of those who love their earlier albums. Sparkle In The Rain was the last one I bought. I saw the band live just after New Gold Dream was released. They played at Torhout/Werchter on the same festival as U2, Peter Gabriel, Van Morrison, The Eurithmix and Warren Zevon (and a couple more). And that sounded likt this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFbnTEnu8aw

Scrotum Scissor
03-31-2022, 04:37 PM
"Real to Real Cacophony".

This is actually a very good album, and it's lost none of its initial gusto today. You can clearly hear their penchant for La Düsseldorf, Can and even instrumental Genesis in this.

Geoff O'Donoghue
03-31-2022, 11:01 PM
This is actually a very good album, and it's lost none of its initial gusto today. You can clearly hear their penchant for La Düsseldorf, Can and even instrumental Genesis in this.

Agreed. It's hard to believe that the same band released Life In a Day at the beginning of 1979 and then recorded and released this album at the end of the year.

aith01
04-01-2022, 12:13 AM
Agreed. It's hard to believe that the same band released Life In a Day at the beginning of 1979 and then recorded and released this album at the end of the year.

A pretty big leap for sure.

Sunlight Caller
04-01-2022, 04:28 AM

It is still an interesting listen and a great dance from the derivative Life Ian A Day, but I think Empires & Dance which followed quickly after again stepped up another level, brining a European dance undercurrent to the music, it remains a great favourite of mine. I like a lot of the music that followed with Hillage at the production., especially Theme For Great Cities which is quite a pioneering groove. New Gold Dream obviously went in a more pop direction, but it’s still ethereal and unlike anything else at the time, and remains a much respected recording.

Sunlight Caller
04-01-2022, 04:39 AM
So I went along to Wembley Arena last night for old times sake, and I have to say I rather enjoyed my trip down memory lane. They played a huge set, 25 songs in 2.5 hours with one 15 minute interval, so cannot fault the stamina of Jim and Charlie. The rest of the band are by and large younger, including three rather chic ladies on drums, keys and vocals, and the sound is augmented by a second guitarist playing mostly acoustic 6 & 12 string. Ged Grimes is on bass, and he was playing with them when I saw the 5x5 tour, he does a fine job, but I did notice the constant bass throb of Waterfront is not played live, so I wondered what he was doing during that one!

There was enough in the setlist to please my earlier years sensibilities, I Travel, Celebrate, Act of Love, Love Song, Theme For Great Cities, and five from New Gold Dream including the title track and Hunter & The Hunted. I also enjoyed the 4 cuts from Sparkle In The Rain. I was disappointed they didn’t play The American, Premonition or Changelong though, but I can’t have it all.

Halmyre
04-03-2022, 11:44 AM

Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures came out shortly after after Life In A Day. According to an interview with Jim Kerr:

He recalls listening to Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures in the band's van. "I was like [he puts his head in his hands and groans]: 'We're the Boomtown Rats! This is fucked!' We needed to quickly get back to being this searching thing again. Within six months we'd recorded Real to Real Cacophony."

Problem is their record company lost faith in them and RTRC and Empires and Dance were very poorly marketed.

markwoll
04-03-2022, 01:10 PM
I bought Real to Real Cacophony first and then Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call and Empires and Dance and New Gold Dream..., eventually Life in A Day and Sparkle In The Rain on vinyl back in the day but nothing after that. Didn't resonate the same with me.
I did pick up the x5 box, just to get the cd's.

per anporth
06-27-2023, 07:43 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/27/a-nuclear-reactor-of-music-the-story-of-simple-minds-classic-album-empires-and-dance

Excellent article on the making of the wonderful record Empires & Dance.

Sunlight Caller
06-28-2023, 03:24 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jun/27/a-nuclear-reactor-of-music-the-story-of-simple-minds-classic-album-empires-and-dance

Excellent article on the making of the wonderful record Empires & Dance.

I read that article yesterday Robin, and completely agree. It is an edited excerpt from Graeme Thomson's superb book Themes For Great Cities, which I heartily recommend to any fan of the early Minds.

per anporth
06-28-2023, 04:15 AM
I read that article yesterday Robin, and completely agree. It is an edited excerpt from Graeme Thomson's superb book Themes For Great Cities, which I heartily recommend to any fan of the early Minds.

I only figured out that it was an extract from this book after I'd posted the link, Chris - I'm assuming you've read it, from what you've written here...I'm definitely tempted to invest, as I was a huge fan of that extraordinary run of lps from Real to Real through to New Gold Dream. I remember seeing them in the period before they released Sparkle in the Rain, when, I think, "Waterfront" had been released as a single (with a delicious live recording of "Hunter & the Hunted on the b-side of the 12") - so it wasn't yet clear just how much they would commit to the new sound - it was a great gig, but the "thunderous" sound sort of obliterated all the subtlety & nuance of the records that had come before...a portent of things to come.

Does the book deal with the transition to this later, "stadium rock", sound? - & give any indications of why they chose to follow that musical pathway (other than big bucks!)?

Sunlight Caller
06-28-2023, 12:02 PM
Robin, as I recall the book pretty much takes them up to Don't You Forget About Me, which was in many ways the transition point to the stadium filling rock they embraced. In all rock biographies the early days are always the most interesting, and in that respect you'll not be disappointed, and the book is really well written. Reading it I was catapulted right back to those days. I agree with you that Waterfront was an immense song but at the cost of the subtlety that came before, and I too have that 12" with the superb "Hunter" b-side. I also saw those pre-Christmas gigs that heralded the new sound, there were two in London at The Lyceum and two at Barrowlands. I was at the Lyceum show, down the front and loving it, but there was a new bombast for sure. Luckily I had seen them along the way as they developed, they were head and shoulders my favourite band of the time.

I thin k the quest for financial success, and the motivation of seeing how U2 came from behind and grabbed the mantle was a real driving force for them. There was a great reluctance to release a cover song as a single, but once the commercial success came along, they embraced and steered into the skid.

For me personally it was the loss of Derek Forbes that took away the essence of the early band. His hypnotic yet melodic lead bass-lines were the building blocks for all that was great about their music, much of which evolved from studio jams over his grooves. They have always had a ruthless edge to members in their quest for success, and so who can argue that they made the wrong call financially. Artistically though they were never the same band for me. For reasons of nostalgia I have gone to see them many times since, including when they toured the best of the first five albums, and I did really enjoy hearing these songs live once more. I wish Derek could have been a part of those shows.

interbellum
06-28-2023, 02:04 PM
...Graeme Thomson's superb book Themes For Great Cities, which I heartily recommend to any fan of the early Minds.

Thanks for the recommendation! Yes, I'm a fan of the early Simple Minds, so this one will certainly bring good memories especially when read with those albums in the background!

per anporth
06-28-2023, 02:16 PM
Totally agree with you, Chris, about Forbes - Burchill & McNeil created the textural "feel" of the band's sound, but it was Forbes who anchored it all, & created that distinctive sinewy groove which was so distinctive.

aith01
06-28-2023, 04:31 PM
Early Simple Minds was awesome! Since I didn't come to know them until well after the fact, I also really enjoy their stuff after Sparkle in the Rain (one of my favorite albums of the 80s by anyone ever). They released quite a few gems after that IMO.

Those early albums were magical though. :up