PDA

View Full Version : RUSH inducted in the R&R Hall of Fame!

Pages : [1] 2

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2012, 02:41 PM
This just in from Rush's FB page.

"We are honored to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The 3 of us are especially appreciative of our loyal fans whose support and dedication has gone a long way to making this possible. P.S. And special thanks to our moms for voting 6000 times!" - Alex, Geddy, & Neil

Does this mean that I have to stop trashing the R&R HOF?

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
It's about freaking time!!!!

Hell, no!

Public Enemy got in, too!

Sean
12-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Uh, is this even confirmed yet?

Facelift
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Rush AND PE. Wow - two legends, albeit from (peak material) different eras and different styles.

Better late than never for Rush - very glad to see it happen. It was the fan voting, I think, that got them in this year. I guess this means it will be Deep Purple next year.

cupwonder
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!

Wenner let Rush into the RRHOF. I guess hell froze over.

ItalProgRules
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
I just posted on a local radio station's FB posting" "ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME! I'd laugh if RUSH just told them to stick it, at this point"

What's with those other nominees? Albert King, rock and roll? Public Enemy? Randy "Short People" Newman???

Sharp
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2013-inductees-rush-public-enemy-heart-and-randy-newman-20121211

Personally glad Albert King got in there as well this year!

Rael
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Can't believe Deep Purple was snubbed.

bRETT
12-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I am sorry the Meters didnt get in. Tremendously important band and great to this day.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Uh, is this even confirmed yet?

Yes. As per my original post, Rush has announced it. It's also the RR HOF home page. http://www.rockhall.com/ The inductees were announced earlier today.

Sean
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/geddy-lee-on-rushs-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction-well-show-up-smiling-20121211#ixzz2EmAmZ818

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
About boycotting...

"We're nice Canadian boys. We wouldn't do that."

LOL!

timmy
12-11-2012, 03:21 PM
"It's caused some fans (most notably VH1 Classic's Eddie Trunk) to sour on the whole institution,..." - the hof doesn't want haters, people.

rush has a lot of fans.
a lot of fans that spend a great deal of money.
why in the world would wenner/hof/rs risk being jerks to brand that makes substantial money in an era where it is very difficult to do so in music?

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
why in the world would wenner/hof/rs risk being jerks to brand that makes substantial money in an era where it is very difficult to do so in music?

It's worked for them for years, so far.

Dan Marsh
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Congratulations!

Nearfest2
12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
This is great news. They finally get recognized.

Deep Purple got screwed.

gpeccary
12-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Good for them, congrats indeed!!

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Good to see Heart going in, too!

Rickenbacker
12-11-2012, 03:41 PM

East New York
12-11-2012, 03:42 PM
:D I couldn't be happier: Rush, Quincy, Public Enemy, Donna, Albert King, Lou Adler, and Heart.

It's a great, great day for me. :up

East New York
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
I am sorry the Meters didnt get in. Tremendously important band and great to this day.

Word.

Supersonic Scientist
12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Very pleased to see this for RUSH.

Deep Purple however have been shafted as with the passing of John Lord this year, it would have been a very honorable nod. Maybe the RaRHOF thought that it was "too soon" aftet John's passing to honor the band and will wait until next year (Just giving them the benefit of the doubt, not that they have earned that benefit)

East New York
12-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Personally glad Albert King got in there as well this year!

Right? I've never been a Newman fan, though...not quite sure why he's in there. He's not nearly as important to music as was, say, Quincy Jones.

MudShark22
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
If they dont play Hemispheres at the ceremony; then its not legit.

;)

Dan Marsh
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Heart, I disagree with.

arise_shine
12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Cool, good for them.

So now we can start whining about how other prog acts aren't in the RRHOF?

Facelift
12-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Very pleased to see this for RUSH.

Deep Purple however have been shafted as with the passing of John Lord this year, it would have been a very honorable nod. Maybe the RaRHOF thought that it was "too soon" aftet John's passing to honor the band and will wait until next year (Just giving them the benefit of the doubt, not that they have earned that benefit)

As I stated in an earlier post, Rush got in because of the relatively new "fan balloting" that the HOF has had. IIRC, they are not obligated to enshrine the winner of the fan ballot, but they are supposed to take it seriously. Rush won the fan balloting by a monstrous margin. Deep Purple came in second. Deep Purple (and Rush) have been eligible for awhile now and were not going to get in via the usual process. Presumably, Deep Purple will win the fan balloting next year (by virtue of their coming second this year to Rush) and maybe next year will be their year, if they take a large enough share of the fan vote.

I don't personally think the HOF is all that big a deal, but it is nice for Rush that they got in. They are an important part of rock music history and now the rock hall's '70s and '80s coverage is all the more complete.

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Right? I've never been a Newman fan, though...not quite sure why he's in there. He's not nearly as important to music as was, say, Quincy Jones.

Definitely agree.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Good article here, with an interview with Lifeson, from the Toronto Star.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/1300666--rush-to-be-inducted-into-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

mkeneally
12-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Re: Randy Newman, he's easily one of the best American songwriters, and one of my favorites, but his relationship to "rock and roll" is indirect a lot of the time - which could be said for a great many inductees of course, so, good on him.

Sean
12-11-2012, 04:00 PM
I too was pleased to see Randy on the list.

zeprogmeister
12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Way overdue for Rush.

Still no Deep Purple, which is very perplexing.

paythesnuka
12-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to the American Music Hall of Fame -- or International Music Hall of Fame, or something like it -- so that the argument that inductees are not "rock and roll" can come to an end. Hank Williams was inducted in the Hall's second class, as was Aretha Franklin. Country and soul artists. Not really rock and roll artists. But nobody complained then.

East New York
12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
If people simply understood that the RRHOF calls itself that just to piss you off, you'd all be a lot happier. :)

Jerjo
12-11-2012, 04:27 PM
I was surprised that Randy was not in there already. His body of work from the 70s alone (well before 'Short People') is worthy of him getting in.

gregory
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Can't believe Deep Purple was snubbed.

I can't believe Procol Harum was thrown away.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2012, 04:37 PM
If people simply understood that the RRHOF calls itself that just to piss you off, you'd all be a lot happier. :)

LOL!

Sean
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to the American Music Hall of Fame -- or International Music Hall of Fame, or something like it -- so that the argument that inductees are not "rock and roll" can come to an end. Hank Williams was inducted in the Hall's second class, as was Aretha Franklin. Country and soul artists. Not really rock and roll artists.

How about the Museum of Rock and Roll?

polmico
12-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Congratulations!

Yup. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Paulrus
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Presumably, Deep Purple will win the fan balloting next year (by virtue of their coming second this year to Rush) and maybe next year will be their year...

I don't personally think the HOF is all that big a deal, but it is nice for Rush that they got in. They are an important part of rock music history and now the rock hall's '70s and '80s coverage is all the more complete.
Yep. But it is still a bit odd that Heart gets in before Deep Purple. That's a head scratcher, but not like much of what happens with that institution hasn't been anyways.

CaffieneMan
12-11-2012, 04:58 PM
About time! :)

Digital_Man
12-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Attention all planets of the solar federation they have assumed control, they have assumed control..........:p

Great news and congratulations to Rush(one of my favorite bands of all time).

Chuck AzEee!
12-11-2012, 05:30 PM
:D I couldn't be happier: Rush, Quincy, Public Enemy, Donna, Albert King, Lou Adler, and Heart.

It's a great, great day for me. :upIndeed "Stacia. I agree 100%!

East New York
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Indeed "Stacia. I agree 100%!

Right on. It's total music extravaganza right here at the apartment--wish you could be here, too! :::cracks open a Samuel Smith's organic lager:::

Jefferson James
12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
“I think at the end of the day, really, what this is about is making our fans feel like their support has been worthy.” -- Alex Lifeson.

F'in sweet!

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Randy Newman's contribution to American music and music in general is far more deserving than just this induction.

East New York
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
“I think at the end of the day, really, what this is about is making our fans feel like their support has been worthy.” -- Alex Lifeson.

F'in sweet!

Yeah! Like...this one!

Yodelgoat
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
They truly will add alot of Class to the RRHOF. I dont think the being in the RRHOF is all that big of a resume enhancer for them. Its the Hall of fame sponging off of Rush. There are many artists in there already that would be totally forgotten, were it not for the RRHOF. (ie.. Hall and Oats)

Arkangel3
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
About fucking time!

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM
About fucking time!

It's all calculated.
Realistically, Albert King should've gone in 20 years ago. It's not about getting in as soon as you become eligable, like in sports. And unlike individual sports, the genre of Rock and Roll is both influenced and comprised of other genres. I'm not a big fan of Jann Wenner, but I don't subscribe to the notion that the choices are based on his own personal preference, nor do I have a problem with a rap artist getting in before Rush.

Neptune
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I love Geddy's cool take on it all. Accepting the honor with dignity. It's amazing to read some of the negative comments towards the RRHOF for taking them so long to get Rush in there.

To me, it makes no difference. I love Rush and always will - but recognition by any institution is nice - it's icing on the cake.

Long love Rush.

timmy
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by timmy

It's worked for them for years, so far.

"It's caused some fans (most notably VH1 Classic's Eddie Trunk) to sour on the whole institution,..." - the hof doesn't want haters, people.

until recently maybe?

Adrian
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
There's nothing to sour on. You can't have a "hall of fame" for something as subjective as music. It's just a music museum that Wenner and his monstrous ego decided to call a hall of fame. Nothing more. I will never understand why gaining entry into this thing is so bloody important to so many fans, and who so many people are outraged when their favorites are snubbed. Who the hell cares? Like anyone needs Wenner's validation. Like it's going to make you love your favorite bands any more or less.

BravadoNJ
12-11-2012, 07:22 PM
congrats to Rush & Heart.

Chuck AzEee!
12-11-2012, 07:35 PM
I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to the American Music Hall of Fame -- or International Music Hall of Fame, or something like it -- so that the argument that inductees are not "rock and roll" can come to an end. Hank Williams was inducted in the Hall's second class, as was Aretha Franklin. Country and soul artists. Not really rock and roll artists. But nobody complained then.

We all know that will never happen...

3LockBox
12-11-2012, 07:38 PM
All-Star jam with Rush and Heart - cool

Camelogue
12-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Anyone can get in if they pay admission.

strawberrybrick
12-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm sure that the Rush Documentary Beyond The Lighted Stage had a lot to do with their nomination, and rightly so.

Frumious B
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Rush is as deserving a band as there is on the planet. They have been on an awesome roll.

Dan Roth
12-11-2012, 09:11 PM
If Rush performs at the ceremony, they should do a Donna Summer classic..."On the Radio", "Hot Stuff", or the like. That would be a hoot.

Tangram
12-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Cool, good for them.

So now we can start whining about how other prog acts aren't in the RRHOF?

:D. Hell Yes. And a bunch of others too!

NogbadTheBad
12-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats to Rush

No Purple? Bizarre

East New York
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
If Rush performs at the ceremony, they should do a Donna Summer classic..."On the Radio", "Hot Stuff", or the like. That would be a hoot.

:lol I would so love to see that. Lerxst could go in drag, as he's so good at it!

FKYES
12-11-2012, 09:32 PM
At least they did something right with Rush finally getting in. I agree that it's a joke that Deep Purple was snubbed.

IMWeasel
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
ABOUT
FUCKING
TIME.

Yanks2014
12-11-2012, 09:45 PM
ABOUT
FUCKING
TIME.

Couldn't have said it better myself! But no Deep Purple. Public Enemy, Donna Summer and Randy Newman, but no Deep Purple. Shameful. But at least the Rush induction will be worth watching.

Yanks2014
12-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Nope, don't stop. They keep inducting non-rock acts, and bad ones at that. But I'm nothing but happy for Rush, being honored even by a joke organization like this is a very good thing.

Scott Bails
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
They truly will add alot of Class to the RRHOF. I dont think the being in the RRHOF is all that big of a resume enhancer for them. Its the Hall of fame sponging off of Rush. There are many artists in there already that would be totally forgotten, were it not for the RRHOF. (ie.. Hall and Oats)

Umm....Hall & Oates aren't in the RRHoF - though they should be.

As well as Chicago, Deep Purple, The Moody Blues, and on and on and on...

Personally, I think it would be awesome if Rush did "Smoke on the Water" during their induction. :D

JIF
12-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Hall & Oates have inducted a few people into the hall.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if Rush did "Smoke on the Water" during their induction. :D

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
They keep inducting non-rock acts, and bad ones at that.

OK, then. So who's "bad" out of this group of inductees? Explain to me - in as much detail as possible - why you think that Rush should make the cut over some of the others.

Adinfinitum
12-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Total sell-outs!

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Spoken like a true Philadelphian, but not until Loggins and Messina will that ever happen. :)

ThomasKDye
12-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Awesome. Genesis and now Rush. People may not care for the RRHOF, but I actually like the genre of creative rock music being legitimized by the mainstream.

ajcmixer
12-11-2012, 11:47 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^QFT!

All of the above bands are worthy of being "inducted". Hall and Oates for owning the radio waves from 81>85, Chicago for their 1st 10 years, ditto for DP and the Moodies.

Peace,
Alex

HealthyNational
12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Donna Summer.
"Sometimes it's a bigger honor not to be invited." - Robert Fripp

Adrian
12-12-2012, 01:09 AM
Awesome. Genesis and now Rush. People may not care for the RRHOF, but I actually like the genre of creative rock music being legitimized by the mainstream.

So it is about validation, then. If I needed someone's validation of my favorite music, I wouldn't be listening to most of it.

bRETT
12-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Donna Summer.

Whose hit "I Feel Love" is considered one of the most innovative dance records ever made (and hell, it's not totally removed from prog).

Garden Dreamer
12-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I guess hell froze over.

This also confirms it. The world is ending on the 21st.

MudShark22
12-12-2012, 08:59 AM
from a phone interview with Alex:

Maybe it should be the Music Hall of Fame and not so much the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," Lifeson said. "But maybe it all is rock 'n' roll. It started as a little seed and grew into this great big tree with a lot of branches. That's why it's so sad the whole progressive movement, bands like Yes and King Crimson, are not included in this. ... I hope there comes a time when these other artists and bands are included because they were equally as influential as any of the ones that are being inducted today."

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Spoken like a true Philadelphian, but not until Loggins and Messina will that ever happen. :)

Now I know you're trollin'! :lol

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^QFT!

All of the above bands are worthy of being "inducted". Hall and Oates for owning the radio waves from 81>85, Chicago for their 1st 10 years, ditto for DP and the Moodies.

Peace,
Alex

I'd argue that H&O's first ten years were more valid then their stuff from the 80s, but I love it all.

Facelift
12-12-2012, 10:00 AM
I'd argue that H&O's first ten years were more valid then their stuff from the 80s, but I love it all.

I don't know H & O much at all, apart from their biggest '80s radio hits, which I had the misfortune of living through. Is the earlier stuff different? What do you recommend for someone who has never heard anything they did before the early '80s?

Stevie B
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Donna Summer deserves it for I Feel Love alone - one of the most original and, yes, progressive records ever released.

JKL2000
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
When I really wanna rock out I crank up the Randy Newman.

MoZo
12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Congrats to Rush for being inducted into the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame. It is very well deserved and long, long overdue. I am now hoping that Deep Purple is next (maybe next year?). I also agree with the views of most here regarding who deserves to be inducted. But, I notice one name missing. Robert Moog. He should be inducted in the 'non-performer' category (yes, there is one...Quincy Jones this year for example). The idea that Robert Moog is not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is mind boggling, incredible, and any other fancy adjective you might be able to find. Public Enemy, Donna Summer (although she was a singer primarily) do not become popular if not for the work of Robert Moog. Most popular artists of the late 70's and beyond owe a lot to the technological advances that started with Robert Moog. I do hope the 'Rock and Roll' Hall of fame comes to their senses, soon, and corrects this oversight....

oilersfan
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM
The idea that Robert Moog is not yet in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is mind boggling, incredible, and any other fancy adjective you might be able to find.

I completely agree. I've been saying for years that Bob Moog is the biggest and least justifiable snub when it comes to RRHOF induction...

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm definitely on board with Mr. Moog getting in.

spacefreak
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
RRHOF my ass...

It will be valid when GG Allin will be in.

Mikhael
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm glad that Rush and Heart got recognized, but I agree with those that say a name change is in order. So many of those folks in there aren't rock, and contrary to another poster's comment, people threw a fit every time someone like Hank or Aretha got in.

Lastly, I don't really care. This ain't what Rock'n'Roll is all about, and is not based on any reality that I can see. Rush has already said that their recognition by their own country was far more important to them than this will ever be. And with the long laundry list of influential rock artists who AREN'T in there, the R&RHoF prove themselves irrelevant.

Scott Bails
12-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Great post, Mikhael.

Vic2012
12-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, I don't have a problem with classic R&B/Soul artists like Aretha Franklin (or any number of Motown or Stax performers) being inducted in this HOF. Without Rhythm & Blues, and Gospel there'd be no Rock & Roll. I mean, I'd have no problem with any classic, prog/rock groups being inducted but I think Aretha Franklin/soul music/R&B/whatever are more worthy of being inducted in a hall of fame that's about Rock & Roll than a prog group.

Congrats to Rush. I know we don't give a shit about the R&RHOF but it's good to see them being honored in the mainstream. Admit it, we all like that they're being honored this way. They deserve it.

JIF
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
It would be interesting to see who inducts Rush. I wonder if they could get Mike Portnoy?

meimjustalawnmower
12-13-2012, 10:38 PM
It would be interesting to see who inducts Rush. I wonder if they could get Mike Portnoy?
Sebastian Bach :lol

Scott Bails
12-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Jack Black

rapidfirerob
12-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame, HA! Large joke.

ThomasKDye
12-13-2012, 10:53 PM
So it is about validation, then. If I needed someone's validation of my favorite music, I wouldn't be listening to most of it.

Didn't say I needed it. Just said I liked it.

People worship the Beatles, and have never heard of, say, Karmakanic, but I like both of them equally whether they're validated by the public at large or not. But it's nice when bands who work very hard and create good music get their excellent work RECOGNIZED by the mainstream.

East New York
12-13-2012, 11:00 PM

God forbid.

I'd vastly prefer Primus.

Joe F.
12-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Jack Black

I think there's a good chance of this. I could also see it being Gene Simmons. Kiss and Rush toured together quite a bit in the early days of both bands.

meimjustalawnmower
12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Whomever inducts Rush would have to be not only a fan, but very famous and an insider as well. That's the way it works, and which is also why the Jack Black suggestion makes a lot of sense. Mike Portnoy? Please! Jann Wenner doesn't even know who Mike Portnoy is.

mkeneally
12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Jason Segel and Paul Rudd, most likely...

bRETT
12-14-2012, 01:42 AM
By the way, Jann Wenner doesn't run the RRHOF single handedly. It's a committee.

Facelift
12-14-2012, 09:26 AM
By the way, Jann Wenner doesn't run the RRHOF single handedly. It's a committee.

Aw, don't ruin the fantasy that Jan Wenner is the all-powerful R&RHOF anti-proggin' anti-christ!

Facelift
12-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Whomever inducts Rush would have to be not only a fan, but very famous and an insider as well. That's the way it works, and which is also why the Jack Black suggestion makes a lot of sense. Mike Portnoy? Please! Jann Wenner doesn't even know who Mike Portnoy is.

I don't know if Rush would *want* Jack Black inducting them. They've waited long enough - why be inducted by someone who will probably make jokes about it and make the moment more about himself than them?

Billy Corgan is high-profile enough but also a tasteful choice, no?

MudShark22
12-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Since we had Phish for Genesis; it should be FISH for Rush ("I remember opening for Rush @ Radio City and people threw bottles at us....")

Nearfest2
12-14-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't know if Rush would *want* Jack Black inducting them. They've waited long enough - why be inducted by someone who will probably make jokes about it and make the moment more about himself than them?

Could not agree more. However, even though Billy was great on "Beyond the Lighted Stage, " I would personally prefer someone of higher stature, and from a more similar rock genre, to induct them. Billy's cool and all, but I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan.

Scott Bails
12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Considering that Rush themselves don't take the RRHoF nor themselves seriously, I think he'd be perfect.

And there's nothing "tasteful" about Billy Corgan, IMO.

JIF
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I think there's a good chance of this. I could also see it being Gene Simmons. Kiss and Rush toured together quite a bit in the early days of both bands.Gene only likes Rush's fist album. He hates prog, remember?

meimjustalawnmower
12-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Aw hell, just let Eddie Trunk do it. :roll

Scott Bails
12-14-2012, 09:16 PM
:)

Vic2012
12-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I think Dave Grohl should induct 'em. He seems to be everywhere these days.

:lol

meimjustalawnmower
12-14-2012, 10:08 PM

That's because he's campaigning for his own induction.

Scott Bails
12-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh, he'll get in with Nirvana. No way they don't get voted in. :roll

Digital_Man
12-14-2012, 11:40 PM
I can see Dave Grohl doing it. I can also see Billy Corgan or Mike Portnoy doing it.

meimjustalawnmower
12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Oh, he'll get in with Nirvana. No way they don't get voted in. :roll
Oh, he'll get in with both Nirvana and Foo Fighters.

enpdllp
12-15-2012, 06:49 AM

I do not think being famous or an insider on the RRHOF is a requirement to be the one inducting someone on the RRHOF. I am more inclined to believe that the person who inducts a band or performer to the RRHOF is selected by the band inducted. Trey Anastasio is not that famous or an insider on the RRHOF and he inducted Genesis. I think both Anastasio and Portnoy are pretty unknown folks in the RRHOF circles.

Although it might make commercial sense for the RRHOF and HBO to have Jack Black inducting Rush, I hope someone else does the induction. Black is incredibly annoying, not funny and will try to upstage Rush on their night with his silly antics. I cringe every time they get him to any awards ceremony. Not being a real musician is another good reason for not having Black inducting Rush. If they want to have someone contemporary they could pick from Les Claypool, Kirk Hammett, Taylor Hawkins or Mike Portnoy. They are real musicians and better choices that will not try to overshadow Rush induction into the RRHOF.

BravadoNJ
12-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Kim Mitchell should induct them in..... not only a good friend of the band but also a peer. i always hate how the producers of these ceremonies have to shove pop pundits of today into the mix.

Robbue
12-15-2012, 09:28 AM
It's about time !!!! Now the place has a little more credibility. : ))

meimjustalawnmower
12-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Here's an idea...
Beavis and Butthead, now in their 40's, with beer guts and receding hairlines, both wearing Dream Theater t-shirts and arguing over what was the best post-80's Rush album.

Joe F.
12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Gene only likes Rush's fist album. He hates prog, remember?

And Lou Reed wasn't a fan of Zappa (from what I recall).

Gene may not like anything beyond the first album (I doubt that's entirely true), but he does respect them for being able to sustain their "brand" for as long as they have. Sort of like his band has done, don't you think?

In any case, this is just innocent speculation. I'm not placing bets in Vegas.

JIF
12-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I do not think being famous or an insider on the RRHOF is a requirement to be the one inducting someone on the RRHOF. I am more inclined to believe that the person who inducts a band or performer to the RRHOF is selected by the band inducted. Trey Anastasio is not that famous or an insider on the RRHOF and he inducted Genesis. I think both Anastasio and Portnoy are pretty unknown folks in the RRHOF circles.

Although it might make commercial sense for the RRHOF and HBO to have Jack Black inducting Rush, I hope someone else does the induction. Black is incredibly annoying, not funny and will try to upstage Rush on their night with his silly antics. I cringe every time they get him to any awards ceremony. Not being a real musician is another good reason for not having Black inducting Rush. If they want to have someone contemporary they could pick from Les Claypool, Kirk Hammett, Taylor Hawkins or Mike Portnoy. They are real musicians and better choices that will not try to overshadow Rush induction into the RRHOF.I don't think it's up to the band. For instance, Lynard Skynard(or was it Aerosmith?) wasn't too thrilled about being inducted by Kid Rock.

enpdllp
12-16-2012, 02:48 AM
I don't think it's up to the band. For instance, Lynard Skynard(or was it Aerosmith?) wasn't too thrilled about being inducted by Kid Rock.

Never heard any Aerosmith member slagging Kid Rock on their induction to the RRHOF. Aerosmith even brought Kid Rock into the stage to join them when they played Sweet Emotion after being inducted. I have not heard any comments either from any Lynyrd Skynyrd member slagging Kid Rock on their induction to the RRHOF.

JIF
12-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Never heard any Aerosmith member slagging Kid Rock on their induction to the RRHOF. Aerosmith even brought Kid Rock into the stage to join them when they played Sweet Emotion after being inducted. I have not heard any comments either from any Lynyrd Skynyrd member slagging Kid Rock on their induction to the RRHOF.It's not that they slagged him. They just wanted someone else to induct them.

Yanks2014
12-17-2012, 01:34 PM
OK, then. So who's "bad" out of this group of inductees? Explain to me - in as much detail as possible - why you think that Rush should make the cut over some of the others.

I'm happy you asked. I know its the same as beating a dead horse, but I'm tired of seeing so many non-rock acts inducted. At this point we all know its just the "music after 1950" hall of fame, I actually with they would change the name. they wont, it's a losing battle on my part, I admit it. But really now, Donna Summer gets inducted? Disco was pretty much the anti-rock of the 70's. I remember all the "disco sucks" t-shirts back in the day. It was widelay hated by quite a large number of rock fans. Summer deserves some accolades, whe was a good vocalist, and was huge for a good 5 year period. But the R&R HOF? Rock and roll? Disco is not part of rock music, not to me anyway. Pop hall of fame? I'd have no beef with that.

Public Enemy? A nasty, vile rap act, pretty much inventing the horrible "gangsta" style -I love brain cells typing that word. We have them to thank for so much of the filth out there today, the violent lyrics, etc. And the only time they did anything rock was the ridiculous "duet" with Anthrax. Add to that a member of the group who got into hot water for anti-semetic remarks. Simply vile. Rap hall of fame? Absolutely, not matter how I feel about them, they were hugely influential. But rock? Nope.

Randy Newman - two big pop hits, not remotely rock oriented. Disney/Pixar soundtracks. Not exactly rock material. Love Toy Story to death, never like his music in it.

Do you need more details?

bRETT
12-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm happy you asked. I know its the same as beating a dead horse, but I'm tired of seeing so many non-rock acts inducted. At this point we all know its just the "music after 1950" hall of fame, I actually with they would change the name. they wont, it's a losing battle on my part, I admit it. But really now, Donna Summer gets inducted? Disco was pretty much the anti-rock of the 70's. I remember all the "disco sucks" t-shirts back in the day. It was widelay hated by quite a large number of rock fans. .

...which was a really silly attitude in the first place. Lots of really creative music (and lots of fun fluff) was made in the name of disco, and much of it turned out to be quite influential in the rock world, Summer's "I Feel Love" being the number one example. (And she made at least one full-tilt rock record, namely "Hot Stuff").

I'm not saying that Yanks2009 is one of these people, but I'm finding that a lot of those who say that rap/jazz/etc shouldnt be in the RRHOF are the same people who complain that Bon Jovi isn't in. The very best rock music always drew from folk, jazz R&B etc-- so far the non rockers whove gotten in to the HOF are the people you wouldn't have rock and roll without (and there was hardly a great 80s band who didn't ;listen to Public Enemy or the Beastie Boys, just as Hendrix and Miles Davis influenced each other). Some of us grew up on 70s FM radio, where you would expect to hear Randy Newman and Led Zeppelin in the same hour.

Besides, this is a prog board: By most of our definitions, Stravinsky should be in the RRHOF.

NogbadTheBad
12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm just going to let Yanks be the arbiter of all artistic discussion, he's clearly the expert, in future I will ignore my own ears and let Yanks tell me if it's ok to listen or not.

Yanks2014
12-17-2012, 03:03 PM

I find it to be very normal to seek validation. Yup, I want more respect for the things I love, I want recognition where I feel it's deserved. Doen't affect my enjoyment of the music, but it's nice when I'm not the only one offering praises.

ASIA Featuring John Payne
12-17-2012, 06:15 PM
A step in the right direction at any rate. Special congratulations to our friend Howard Leese of Heart for his induction as well. He was a big part of our recent "Raiding the Rock Vault" show.

Joe F.
12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
A step in the right direction at any rate. Special congratulations to our friend Howard Leese of Heart for his induction as well. He was a big part of our recent "Raiding the Rock Vault" show.

Did they finally announce who in Heart was being inducted? The interview I saw with Ann & Nancy right after the announcement suggested that they didn't know. They also said that if the early band members are part of this there will be no chance of them playing together. A lot of bad blood, at least between Roger Fisher & the Wilson Sisters.

bRETT
12-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Last time I saw Howard Leese he was in Bad Company-- surprisingly doing most of the lead guitar work even though Mick Ralphs was still there.

Baribrotzer
12-17-2012, 11:56 PM
Public Enemy? A nasty, vile rap act, pretty much inventing the horrible "gangsta" style Not so.

Public Enemy were and are heavily political, and musically and verbally are considered the strongest and most influential political rappers. They're not gangstas, nor do they glorify gangstas. They're also not a bunch of tough guys from the hood - in fact, they're middle-class college kids from Long Island. Their material is centered on angry left-wing black militancy, and full of outrage at Society.

Gangsta rap, in contrast, is apolitical, or perhaps anti-political. It has an undercurrent of despair - that the deck was stacked against you since before you were born, that it always will be, that hoping or trying to change that is for chumps, and that you will never get anything but what you can grab right now with your gun. Complete vicious individualism, complete nihilism, and very different from Public Enemy's "Stand together and demand your rights" militancy.

Now you, personally, might find both equally offensive. But they are not at all the same.

East New York
12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Not so.

Public Enemy were and are heavily political, and musically and verbally are considered the strongest and most influential political rappers. They're not gangstas, nor do they glorify gangstas. They're also not a bunch of tough guys from the hood - in fact, they're middle-class college kids from Long Island. Their material is centered on angry left-wing black militancy, and full of outrage at Society.

Gangsta rap, in contrast, is apolitical, or perhaps anti-political. It has an undercurrent of despair - that the deck was stacked against you since before you were born, that it always will be, that hoping or trying to change that is for chumps, and that you will never get anything but what you can grab right now with your gun. Complete vicious individualism, complete nihilism, and very different from Public Enemy's "Stand together and demand your rights" militancy.

Now you, personally, might find both equally offensive. But they are not at all the same.

This sista thanks you.

Baribrotzer
12-18-2012, 07:22 AM
This sista thanks you.You're welcome.

By the way, I should add that Gangsta Rap could also be seen as very political, but its political content is all by implication. However, that content is also big, gray, and standing right in the middle of the room. Note when "gangsta" started out as a genre: in the mid-Eighties. Note what else was going on in the U.S. at the time. Then, is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to hear the "gangstas" as saying, "OK, motherf*****s, you want independence? You want self-reliance? You want me pulling myself up by my own bootstraps? Then you got it, motherf*****, you got 'independence', you got 'self-reliance' you got 'me pulling myself up by my own motherf***ing bootstraps'! 'Cause when you ain't got nothin', THIS is what all that sh*t looks like. Now hand it over, all of it, the motherf***ing watch, too. AND the tie. AND the glasses. AND the cuff-links. Thanks, motherf*****."

BravadoNJ
12-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Did they finally announce who in Heart was being inducted? The interview I saw with Ann & Nancy right after the announcement suggested that they didn't know. They also said that if the early band members are part of this there will be no chance of them playing together. A lot of bad blood, at least between Roger Fisher & the Wilson Sisters.

even if there's bad blood, the other original members deserve to be there. in the 70's, Heart was more then Ann & Nancy.

Joe F.
12-18-2012, 10:27 AM
even if there's bad blood, the other original members deserve to be there. in the 70's, Heart was more then Ann & Nancy.

I agree 100%.

MudShark22
12-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Not so.

While I commend you for taking the time to point out the distinction (and to perhaps avoid others from being misinformed); you are wasting your time with Thomas. To him, it is both the same and offensive with no room for nuance or context. His posts over many years here on the subject are consistent in that regard.

Lino
12-18-2012, 11:56 AM
While I commend you for taking the time to point out the distinction (and to perhaps avoid others from being misinformed); you are wasting your time with Thomas. To him, it is both the same and offensive with no room for nuance or context. His posts over many years here on the subject are consistent in that regard.:lol You nailed it bro.

...and Thomas going on about what is or isn't rock'n'roll - that is even more hilarious!

MudShark22
12-18-2012, 12:30 PM
:lol You nailed it bro.

...and Thomas going on about what is or isn't rock'n'roll - that is even more hilarious!

Wow...High praise from the master! :D Gonna mark this day on my advent calendar! :up LOL

bRETT
12-18-2012, 12:42 PM

I agree, but they probably don't, since a few years back they did a "Dreamboat Annie" tour using only the (then) current band.

Klonk
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Glad to see Rush get in there. It's well deserved. :up

As a big metalhead in the 80's-90's I always appreciated Public Enemy, NWA etc. In a strange way I found them quite similar with the in your face, no bullshit attitude. I even had metal mix tapes with this stuff on there. It always fit right in. Their influence can't be denied in music, like 'em or not. Good for Public Enemy getting the nod :up

Lino
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I even had metal mix tapes with this stuff on there. I know my kid is a big fan of the rapper Tech9...he says you see as many young tatooed metal fans at the shows as you do (traditional) hiphop fans. The fact is that rap/hiphop has hung around longer than most trends/styles, and now it's permanently seeped in to the popular music/rock psyche.
Congrats to both RUSH and Public Enemy.

Vic2012
12-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Is anyone left from the original band (Heart) besides the sisters? I've never been a huge fan so haven't followed them in recent years.

bRETT
12-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Is anyone left from the original band (Heart) besides the sisters? .

No. The 80s band (including Mark Andes from Spirit) is gone as well. Ben Mink produced the new album and plays all over it, so he may now be in the touring band as well.

Jymbot
12-19-2012, 04:54 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/butt.jpg

This thread is thoroughly disgusting.

Be made aware: I have taken down names.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/hole.jpg

East New York
12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
You're welcome.

By the way, I should add that Gangsta Rap could also be seen as very political, but its political content is all by implication. However, that content is also big, gray, and standing right in the middle of the room. Note when "gangsta" started out as a genre: in the mid-Eighties. Note what else was going on in the U.S. at the time. Then, is it too much of a stretch of the imagination to hear the "gangstas" as saying, "OK, motherf*****s, you want independence? You want self-reliance? You want me pulling myself up by my own bootstraps? Then you got it, motherf*****, you got 'independence', you got 'self-reliance' you got 'me pulling myself up by my own motherf***ing bootstraps'! 'Cause when you ain't got nothin', THIS is what all that sh*t looks like. Now hand it over, all of it, the motherf***ing watch, too. AND the tie. AND the glasses. AND the cuff-links. Thanks, motherf*****."

::::veritable storm of applause:::: :D

While I commend you for taking the time to point out the distinction (and to perhaps avoid others from being misinformed); you are wasting your time with Thomas. To him, it is both the same and offensive with no room for nuance or context. His posts over many years here on the subject are consistent in that regard.

:lol You nailed it bro.

It's his subtext, too, that makes me want to take him back home to ENY and drop him off somewhere at about 10 PM or so. :bad

Glad to see Rush get in there. It's well deserved. :up

As a big metalhead in the 80's-90's I always appreciated Public Enemy, NWA etc. In a strange way I found them quite similar with the in your face, no bullshit attitude. I even had metal mix tapes with this stuff on there. It always fit right in. Their influence can't be denied in music, like 'em or not. Good for Public Enemy getting the nod :up

I know my kid is a big fan of the rapper Tech9...he says you see as many young tatooed metal fans at the shows as you do (traditional) hiphop fans. The fact is that rap/hiphop has hung around longer than most trends/styles, and now it's permanently seeped in to the popular music/rock psyche.
Congrats to both RUSH and Public Enemy.

Wise and good words...I personally appreciate them, too.

Scott Bails
12-19-2012, 11:26 PM

Not a fan, eh Jimmeh?

Baribrotzer
12-19-2012, 11:34 PM

[image of a Hogarth engraving on "the curse of gin", with Rush references Photoshopped in.]

To quote Pogo: "Sometimes I don't understand you, and so far it has allus paid off."

Jymbot
12-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Pogo quoter:
Your saying you do not see the relevance of my Hogarth cut-and-paste?

I'd say the message conveyed is BLEEDIN" OBVIHEARSE.

Sean
12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
You'll NEVER stop Rush!

JKL2000
12-20-2012, 11:01 AM
This just in: Alex has just been involved in another tasing incident, and the RRHoF thing is off.

Just kidding... what a weird thing that was, eh?

Jymbot
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Look at it this way -and this arguement is NOT perfectly untenable:

Say I, as Prog Masterman of the Finest Water, were to apply to a major university to teach a course on Prog and the entry level package (not executive, you understand) I would propose to include Rush somewhere in there with Asia and Boston.

Why I would be laughed out of the Doors of Academie!

I'd soon as rather hear my death-bell than teach Rush, least of all listen to that complete dungus.

Mikhael
12-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Who cares? Even Rush doesn't.

ForeverAutumn
12-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd soon as rather hear my death-bell than teach Rush, least of all listen to that complete dungus.

I would also rather hear your death-bell than have you listen to or teach Rush.

Scott Bails
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Nah - I think it'd be more fun to strap Mr. Jymbot to a chair and make him listen to Caress of Steel on infinite playback for a week. ;)

Jymbot
12-20-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/clockwork_big.jpg

Jymbot
12-20-2012, 01:56 PM
I would also rather hear your death-bell than have you listen to or teach Rush.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/Howerd.jpg

"Ooooh-eerrr missus....no, don't titter!"

Scott Bails
12-20-2012, 01:59 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/clockwork_big.jpg

LOL! EXACTLY what I was thinking! :lol

ajcmixer
12-20-2012, 03:13 PM

QFT.

Once again, common sense should ;) prevail in these instances: the band members in whatever group, whoever they may have been, that played on the albums that put them on the map should automatically be going in. But it should not be limited to just them if there is a compelling argument that can be made for other musicians from other periods that they did add something positive and lasting to that group's overall legacy.

Peace,
Alex

MudShark22
12-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Heart is only following Debbie Harry's 'lead' in this instance...however, I think it's wrong and the 70s band should be there.

Facelift
01-23-2013, 12:39 PM

And it is indeed Dave Grohl (along with one of the other Foo Fighters)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/23/showbiz/music/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-performers-presenters/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Not a bad choice.

JIF
01-23-2013, 10:44 PM
And it is indeed Dave Grohl (along with one of the other Foo Fighters)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/23/showbiz/music/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-performers-presenters/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Not a bad choice....but he's not prog?

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Neither is most of Rush's output. ;)

JIF
01-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Neither is most of Rush's output. ;)Why don't you try telling that to the mods that kept this on the main page.

Scott Bails
01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Because I really don't give a shit about which threads go on which forum.

They all appear on the "New Posts" forum, which is all I need. ;)

Facelift
01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
Because I really don't give a shit about which threads go on which forum.

They all appear on the "New Posts" forum, which is all I need. ;)

QFT!

And no, most of Rush's output isn't "prog," IMO.

Digital_Man
01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
QFT!

And no, most of Rush's output isn't "prog," IMO.

Dude, you could probably say the same about Kansas or Genesis or Pink Floyd or a lot of bands. Thing is Rush were prog during their peak period just like Yes, Genesis, Kansas etc.

Facelift
01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Dude, you could probably say the same about Kansas or Genesis or Pink Floyd or a lot of bands. Thing is Rush were prog during their peak period just like Yes, Genesis, Kansas etc.

I disagree. I do not think that Rush were "prog" during their peak period, which I consider to be 1980-1985.

enpdllp
01-24-2013, 12:16 AM
I disagree. I do not think that Rush were "prog" during their peak period, which I consider to be 1980-1985.

I consider 1976-1981 their peak period and they were pretty "prog" during that time.

JIF
01-24-2013, 12:20 AM
I agree with enpdllp.

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 09:07 AM
I do, too.

However, that's 5 years out of a 30+ year career.

JIF
01-24-2013, 09:31 PM
I do, too.

However, that's 5 years out of a 30+ year career.Does this thread have to go in the same direction as the Genesis thread? Who cares if it's prog or not. Btw, what makes Rush not prog to you, Scott?

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
We're getting into the whole "what is prog" discussion here.

To paraphrase a famous quote, I know it when I hear it. And there's no prog on Power Windows, for example.

Heck, there's really nothing remotely prog on anything after Moving Pictures.

They're just a great rock band - which is why it's such a disgrace that it's taken this long for them to get into the RRHoF.

But that's a whole other discussion that we've beaten to death.

JIF
01-24-2013, 09:38 PM
We're getting into the whole "what is prog" discussion here.

To paraphrase a famous quote, I know it when I hear it. And there's no prog on Power Windows, for example.

Heck, there's really nothing remotely prog on anything after Moving Pictures.

They're just a great rock band - which is why it's such a disgrace that it's taken this long for them to get into the RRHoF.

But that's a whole other discussion that we've beaten to death.I think that Power Windows is prog, but it's prog crossed with new wave. Rush was never strictly a prog band. They were '70s metal, prog metal, new wave prog, and then Alternative prog. I think that Rush should be in the hall for birthing the Prog Metal genre. Without Rush, there would be no Queensryche, Fates Warning, or Dream Theater.

Scott Bails
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
I think that Power Windows is prog

Obviously, we disagree.

Fantastic album, however.

JIF
01-24-2013, 09:46 PM
Obviously, we disagree.

Fantastic album, however.You started it by saying Rush isn't prog.

meimjustalawnmower
01-24-2013, 09:48 PM
However, that's 5 years out of a 30+ year career.

Yeah, maybe, but YES hasn't been prog since 1977. Explain that. ;)

JIF
01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah, maybe, but YES hasn't been prog since 1977. Explain that. ;)Just like I said with Rush, Yes mixed prog and new when they did Drama. Therefore, they were progressive and contemporary without selling out.

enpdllp
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
I think that Power Windows is prog, but it's prog crossed with new wave. Rush was never strictly a prog band. They were '70s metal, prog metal, new wave prog, and then Alternative prog. I think that Rush should be in the hall for birthing the Prog Metal genre. Without Rush, there would be no Queensryche, Fates Warning, or Dream Theater.

Maybe it is a matter of semantics, but I have never considered Rush "metal" or "prog-metal". They might have influenced some of the earlier "prog-metal" bands, but I would not classify any of their music "prog-metal". Hard rock would be a more appropriate classification for some of their music. With that said, I would have a hard time placing A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres into any other category than Progressive Rock.

Facelift
01-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Maybe it is a matter of semantics, but I have never considered Rush "metal" or "prog-metal". They might have influenced some of the earlier "prog-metal" bands, but I would not classify any of their music "prog-metal". Hard rock would be a more appropriate classification for some of their music. With that said, I would have a hard time placing A Farewell To Kings or Hemispheres into any other category than Progressive Rock.

I agree with AFTK and Hemispheres. But it was nevertheless the work of a band that, despite releasing its first album in 1974, didn't start out as prog. Rush were big fans of Yes and Genesis, and they did go through a phase in the '70s when they made music that put their own spin on that kind of thing. For example, Hemispheres is a "prog" album, mostly because that's what they want it to be. If you look closer, though, you can see that Rush's long-form writing is quite rudimentary compared the work of their influences (the Hemispheres suite is ample evidence of this). IMO Rush got better when they stopped staying so true to these influences and really came into their own with shorter songs that packed a lot into 5 minutes.

And as far as Power Windows, big agreement with Scott here. Don't know what anybody is hearing that has much at all to do with prog. Sometimes I get the idea that some people think that any rock music that shows off instrumental ability and isn't clearly something else, should be called prog.

I think Rush is a great band and that while they flirted with prog at one point in their careers, that doesn't define who they were any more than the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire era does.

JIF
01-25-2013, 01:13 AM
I agree with AFTK and Hemispheres. But it was nevertheless the work of a band that, despite releasing its first album in 1974, didn't start out as prog. Rush were big fans of Yes and Genesis, and they did go through a phase in the '70s when they made music that put their own spin on that kind of thing. For example, Hemispheres is a "prog" album, mostly because that's what they want it to be. If you look closer, though, you can see that Rush's long-form writing is quite rudimentary compared the work of their influences (the Hemispheres suite is ample evidence of this). IMO Rush got better when they stopped staying so true to these influences and really came into their own with shorter songs that packed a lot into 5 minutes.

And as far as Power Windows, big agreement with Scott here. Don't know what anybody is hearing that has much at all to do with prog. Sometimes I get the idea that some people think that any rock music that shows off instrumental ability and isn't clearly something else, should be called prog.

I think Rush is a great band and that while they flirted with prog at one point in their careers, that doesn't define who they were any more than the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire era does.Compare the Hemispheres title track with Supper's Ready and the CTTE title track. CTTE and Hemispheres sound like one complete song(well, almost), while Supper's Ready(like the FFH title track) sounds like six totally separate songs. Btw, why can't Power Window be called "progressive" with just a small "p"? Do you think that PW isn't "progressive" enough because it doesn't have any epics? Open your mind, man.

Haruspex Carnage
01-25-2013, 03:08 AM
Haven't gone through this whole thread but is there a ceremony being aired on TV a la when Genesis was inducted? If so are there acts scheduled to pay homage to Rush? i can't see Dream Theater NOT doing anything, who knows...but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the whole Phish BUTCHERING those Genesis tunes...

JIF
01-25-2013, 03:53 AM
Haven't gone through this whole thread but is there a ceremony being aired on TV a la when Genesis was inducted? If so are there acts scheduled to pay homage to Rush? i can't see Dream Theater NOT doing anything, who knows...but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth after the whole Phish BUTCHERING those Genesis tunes...What drugs are you on? Phish did a great job. Besides how on earth can you butcher No Reply At All?

enpdllp
01-25-2013, 04:08 AM
Btw, why can't Power Window be called "progressive" with just a small "p"?

Because it is not "progressive" (Even with a small "p"). Just take your own advice and "open your mind" to the "fact" that Power Windows is not "progressive".:p

Do you think that PW isn't "progressive" enough because it doesn't have any epics?

Plenty of progressive rock albums without "epics".

enpdllp
01-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Phish did a great job. Besides how on earth can you butcher No Reply At All?

Not a fan of Phish, but I completely agree on the above.

Vic2012
01-25-2013, 05:07 AM
You started it by saying Rush isn't prog.

You started it by saying Dave Grohl is not prog. :lol

Regarding Rush being prog or not. I've only been into rush for about 12-13 years. I got into them because they were included under the "prog umbrella." I got lucky and found a bunch of Rush CDs used so I took a chance on 'em. It just so happened that all these wonderfull, used, Rush CDs were titled: A Fairwell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures. After those initial albums I moved backward and forward in the discography. I went nuts over this band. They had their prog-epic era but overall, they were a great, quality, adventurous, hard/rock band who were loved by musicians and geeks. Yeah, they were prog influenced. Prog fans who liked Yes probably liked Rush too. I don't really consider them prog though (and the same for Kings X - not prog).

Scott Bails
01-25-2013, 08:23 AM
why can't Power Window be called "progressive" with just a small "p"? Do you think that PW isn't "progressive" enough because it doesn't have any epics? Open your mind, man.

Let's try it a different way - describe prog to us, and then demonstrate how Power Windows has any of those qualities.

I think Rush is a great band and that while they flirted with prog at one point in their careers, that doesn't define who they were any more than the Power Windows/Hold Your Fire era does.

Yep. :up

Not a fan of Phish, but I completely agree on the above.

I'm the same way. Just can't get into Phish, but really enjoyed their RRHoF performance.

Facelift
01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Compare the Hemispheres title track with Supper's Ready and the CTTE title track. CTTE and Hemispheres sound like one complete song(well, almost), while Supper's Ready(like the FFH title track) sounds like six totally separate songs. Btw, why can't Power Window be called "progressive" with just a small "p"? Do you think that PW isn't "progressive" enough because it doesn't have any epics? Open your mind, man.

I'm not talking about "small p." The small p stuff just boils down to one person's perception of what constitutes mainstream music (whether it's accurate or not) and the extent to which that person perceives a particular band or album to have greater sophistication. To that end, virtually anything could be the subject of a discussion of whether or not it's small-p progressive. Which makes the distinction barely meaningful and therefore of little concern to me, especially with regard to this particular matter.

I'm taking about the genre of music called Prog/Progressive Rock. As we surely know, Prog need not be literally "progressive," in the descriptive sense - it has a recognizable set of characteristics, developed almost entirely by bands of the '70s, and other bands subsequent to the '70s play progressive rock when they use that music as a model. Furthermore, all rock-based music that pushes boundaries and requires significant musical skill isn't necessarily Prog.

I don't like it when "Prog" becomes a caliber of merit rather than a simple way to categorize a style of music - leave that for the small p stuff, if you must, but realize that that will be. by its nature, a very personal distinction that would not necessarily shared by others.

Since one can't prove a negative (the burden of proof, if we really want to go down the road of calling on people to present them, is on you to show that it is) I'm not going to bother with attempting to "prove" that post-1980 Rush isn't Prog. Suffice it to say that progressive rock is recognizable to one who knows it, and that era of Rush isn't doing it. In fact, they rather consciously moved away from their prog-rock past to work on new things at this point in their development. Certain aspects of their music got more interesting and intricate, IMO, (as I've stated above, I consider 80-85 to be Rush's peak period); however, it would be hard to say that they did so in a way that was either more so or equally reminiscient of prog-rock than what they already had been doing.

As far as the Hemisphere/Supper's Ready/CTTE thing goes, I agree that both Hemispheres and CTTE display greater musical and narrative unity than Supper's Ready. But so would a 15-minute drone, so where does that leave us? Anyway, my point concerning the Hemispheres suite wasn't that it isn't prog (I agree that it is), just that it's rather simple, musically, by the compositional standards I typically associate with progressive rock. It's mostly just the same music repeated several times - not even a variation on the theme going on there. Now, although I think that this is something that would have made the piece more effective, I still like it plenty as it is.

Dan Roth
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM
New article and interview with Rush about getting into the Hall. Nice that they spoke up for the prog scene:

""I'm relieved for our fans, who took it personally each time we were overlooked," says Geddy Lee, 59, who plays bass and fronts the band, which also includes guitarist Alex Lifeson, 59, and drummer Neil Peart, 60. Rush became eligible for induction in 1999, 25 years after the release of the group's first record, but didn't make the ballot until 2012.

"But I also hope this means other great bands like Yes will follow suit," says Lee. "Deep Purple was on the ballot this year, and I was hoping they'd get in with us. We wouldn't be the band we are without Deep Purple's existence."

Lifeson says he hopes Rush's inclusion "opens the doors for bands like the Moody Blues and King Crimson, who had a huge influence. It's a bit ironic, really. Rock music was born in rebellion, so it's odd to have (a Hall of Fame) where there seem to be guidelines for who's acceptable and who's not."

Lee adds that while the trio is "pleased and honored" to be getting in, "it wasn't something we thought about a lot … We've had a great career that's on a high right now.""

Entire article here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/04/16/rush-finally-in-rock-hall-of-fame/2071265/

Paulrus
04-16-2013, 11:15 PM
It's a bit ironic, really. Rock music was born in rebellion, so it's odd to have (a Hall of Fame) where there seem to be guidelines for who's acceptable and who's not."

Oooo, that's gotta sting! :D

JKL2000
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
Wait, The Moody Blues was never inducted? Holy crap! I wasn't even much of a Moody Blues fan until recently, but I would have thought they'd have been in there for a long time by now. That's crazy.

And Yes, too. Not that it's a financial success contest or anything, but Yes has probably gotten more airplay than LOTS of artists who've already been inducted. It's stupid institution...

mnprogger
04-17-2013, 12:44 PM
people might enjoy this list/site about Snubs, Eligibility History of the Rock Hall

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

the history of how many times many artists have not been nominated while eligible. Based on that, I think they need to induct about 10, maybe even 15 acts every year, and nominate about 25 or 30. It may reduce the total number of votes, but the 50% of the vote thing is BS. the 2/3 thing in Baseball may work, sort of, but for this, it shouldn't be enforced. Take the top 10 vote-getters. And then a Veterans Committee inductee or 2 as well.

also
http://www.soundopinions.org/shownotes/2013/031513/shownotes.html

some folks might want to hear this interview with Greg Harris, the new CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

1:38-11:05 of the Podcast. He is interviewed, and he explains how there is a committee of 30 people who nominate names every year, and then the top 10 of those gets sent out to 600 voters, who are people who are previous inductees.

But he mentioned how they set up a group for "prog rock" recently, so a band like Rush, who never had been nominated, would finally have a chance. If that continues, the likes of Deep Purple, Yes, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, etc very well may find their way in soon.

Paulrus
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
But he mentioned how they set up a group for "prog rock" recently, so a band like Rush, who never had been nominated, would finally have a chance. If that continues, the likes of Deep Purple, Yes, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, etc very well may find their way in soon.
Yeah, that's why Deep Purple didn't get in this year: they came in number 2 in the popularity poll side of this year's voting. So the assumption is now that Rush is getting in they'll be next up.

Man In The Mountain
04-17-2013, 12:59 PM
I still can't figure out what purpose a rock "Hall of Fame" serves. Music isn't a sport, and the band with the most receipts doesn't equal "the best". I think it's actually degrading to the art form to look at sales figures and determine a statue needs to be erected in honor of this.

Also, everyone that I've seen that has actually visited this museum said it was totally lame. I'm surprised it's still open for business.

ForeverAutumn
04-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I still can't figure out what purpose a rock "Hall of Fame" serves. Music isn't a sport, and the band with the most receipts doesn't equal "the best". I think it's actually degrading to the art form to look at sales figures and determine a statue needs to be erected in honor of this.

Also, everyone that I've seen that has actually visited this museum said it was totally lame. I'm surprised it's still open for business.

I have friends that have travelled to Cleveland for the sole purpose of visiting the RRHoF. Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way for it (well, maybe once Rush is in ;)), but they enjoyed it.

Man In The Mountain
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I have friends that have travelled to Cleveland for the sole purpose of visiting the RRHoF. .... they enjoyed it.

Maybe they like the type of bands featured there. What's in it actually? Pictures & some random memorabilia? So & so wore this jacket on stage? A few quick facts about their sales numbers? A hologram concert room where you can watch Michael Jackson live in 3D?

N_Singh
04-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Ding ding ding we have a winner! Which baseball cap will Geddy's bust depict? Blue Jays or Expos?

I guess they've set up, to use Cooperstown parlance, a "Veteran's Committee". :)

bRETT
04-17-2013, 02:47 PM
people might enjoy this list/site about Snubs, Eligibility History of the Rock Hall

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php.

Poor Todd Rundgren-- even snubbed by this list!

Facelift
04-17-2013, 02:51 PM

It's a really good museum of an aspect of our popular culture, which is what rock music is. I was very glad that I went. Much like the baseball hall of fame, the actual "hall of fame," where the plaques are, are just a small part of the overall experience.

ronmac
04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
And then a Veterans Committee inductee or 2 as well.

The problem I see is who gets to select the veterans committee.

Paulrus
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Um, isn't the ceremony tonight or something? OK, Rush fans -- I'm plowing through my complete library today. What are you doing to mark the occasion?

LOL that they're finally getting serious Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rush-take-a-tour-of-rolling-stones-headquarters-20130401) love these days. "Oh, you're in the R&RHOF? We better treat you with respect now."

ForeverAutumn
04-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Um, isn't the ceremony tonight or something? OK, Rush fans -- I'm plowing through my complete library today. What are you doing to mark the occasion?

Well, today Canada Post announced an upcoming Rush stamp release. http://www.rush.com/canada-post-rocks-out-new-stamps-featuring-canadian-bands/

SteveSly
04-18-2013, 06:39 PM
It's a really good museum of an aspect of our popular culture, which is what rock music is. I was very glad that I went. Much like the baseball hall of fame, the actual "hall of fame," where the plaques are, are just a small part of the overall experience.

Agreed, I have been there and really enjoyed it. Yea, there are a lot of bands that I think have been unjustifiably snubbed and there is not a lot of prog representation, but if you are into music at all there is a ton of stuff to see. It has been quite a few years since I have been there. If I found myself in Cleveland again I would probably go back.

Steve Sly

Brave73
04-19-2013, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omd_ft0n6M8

Paulrus
04-19-2013, 01:55 AM
That was awesome. Suck on THAT, Jan Wenner! :D

Digital_Man
04-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Yeah my brother mentioned this to me tonight over the phone.

"The godfathers of progressive metal." Yep, that's pretty accurate.

If any band deserves to be in there it's Rush. They are over all more of a "rock" band than Yes was or is or less progressive over all(although I admit that's subjective). I still think Yes deserves to be in there at some point as do most of the older bands who have been snubbed.

Brave73
04-19-2013, 06:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M7AEi68a20

ronmac
04-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Neil: "The highest purpose of art is to inspire."

Geddy thanks the fans for "the persistence of their voices that most certainly led us to this evening."

Alex: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..." (although, he went on a bit too long, I think he was making a mockery of it, as only he could.)

malterb
04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
There are videos on You Tube now of:

Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins inductions speech (quite excellent) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLOUgvsfDtg

The Foo Fighters doing 2112 Overture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xEr489gHY

Les Claypool and Primus doing The Spirit of Radio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taS06rvN8gk

Sean
04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xEr489gHY&feature=player_embedded#at=223

Mikhael
04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Damn, Alex is just plain silly, and doesn't care who knows it. I love that!

Nearfest2
04-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Les Claypool and Primus doing The Spirit of Radio http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taS06rvN8gk

This is from the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame on March 28, 2010.

Nearfest2
04-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Rush joined the Foo Fighters at the end of "2112: Overture", then played "The Spirit of Radio" and "Tom Sawyer." They ended the show by leading the all-star jam in a rendition of "Crossroads." It was very cool to see the likes of Ann and Nancy Wilson and John Fogerty on stage with Rush. It was also surreal to see Chuck D from Public Enemy standing next to Alex.

Billboard has posted some great photos (http://www.billboard.com/photos/1558848/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2013-induction-ceremony-photos).

dlm
04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
Not so.

Perfect. Rush and PE are both on my playlist. Welcome to the Terrordome...

frippster
04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Rush being inducted is a sight I never thought I'd see, but as my absolute, complete and total all-time favorite band it warmed me heart. True, I don't care about the HoF honor as much as I once did, but it made me happier than I would have expected these days.

P.S. Enjoyed Grohl/Hawkins speech and Overture was cool. Was that Nick R on bass?

dgtlman
04-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Alex: "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..." (although, he went on a bit too long, I think he was making a mockery of it, as only he could.)

Exactly!

The Fantastic Progo Rican
04-19-2013, 01:40 PM
It's is pretty clear that one of those blahs! Was a f*ck you, that was priceless...

Plasmatopia
04-19-2013, 01:47 PM
I never thought Alex was all that funny (although he tried often enough) until now. THAT was the funniest thing I've ever seen him do.

trurl
04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Is it petty of me to point out that Foo Fighters couldn't actually play it :D :D

dgtlman
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM
I never thought Alex was all that funny (although he tried often enough) until now. THAT was the funniest thing I've ever seen him do.

I think the guy's hilarious. Some of those old La Villa rants were priceless

Nearfest2
04-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Post induction interview (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rushs-geddy-lee-strong-honesty-links-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fames-2013-class-20130419#ooid=55MHAyYjrvRez_BVOYyxVJSJiua0JEcJ)

JIF
04-19-2013, 03:35 PM
I don't have Fuse or VH1 Classic any longer. So, is there a place to watch the ceremony online?

Camelogue
04-19-2013, 03:37 PM
I thought Alex came off as a fool. What was the point?

JIF
04-19-2013, 03:42 PM
I thought Alex came off as a fool. What was the point?Hey, cut Alex some slack. I find Rush to be very funny. In my opinion, calling Alex a fool is a little harsh.

ThomasKDye
04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Dang, those three are such thoughtful, intelligent human beings. And I have way more respect for Grohl and Hawkins now (though I always did respect them heavily). It's funny, because for a while in 2007, I had a playlist that combined songs from "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" and "Snakes and Arrows."

To have fun.

ronmac
04-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Yeah, he did a bit.

JIF
04-19-2013, 03:52 PM
Dang, those three are such thoughtful, intelligent human beings. And I have way more respect for Grohl and Hawkins now (though I always did respect them heavily). It's funny, because for a while in 2007, I had a playlist that combined songs from "Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace" and "Snakes and Arrows."

To have fun.I agree with everything you say. Was never much of a Foos fan, until I saw Dave and Taylor induct Queen into the rock & roll hall of fame on VH1 in 2001. I now respect them totally for having inducted Rush. Was it because The Foo Fighters and Rush share the same producer? ;)

Rickenbacker
04-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Yes. For me, it started to get awkward after the 1st minute & I can only imagine how it felt for Neil & Geddy. But for the sake of mockery, it was cool. :)

Rickenbacker
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Post induction interview (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/rushs-geddy-lee-strong-honesty-links-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fames-2013-class-20130419#ooid=55MHAyYjrvRez_BVOYyxVJSJiua0JEcJ)

Damn, could that crowd be any more sedate & quieter for that?? For the 1st few seconds, I really thought I was watching a sound check or rehearsal. Than I saw the audience!

Paulrus
04-19-2013, 04:26 PM
To have fun.

And what was he going to say that Neil didn't already say better? I'm glad he used the opportunity to be *Alex*, and give those who don't know Rush too well a little more insight into what makes the band so special.

JIF
04-19-2013, 04:32 PM
And what was he going to say that Neil didn't already say better? I'm glad he used the opportunity to be *Alex*, and give those who don't know Rush too well a little more insight into what makes the band so special.I agree. I like how Rush throws people for a loop. People would probably think of them as intellects because of the music that they play, or the lyrics that Neil writes, but they can be quite funny. I remember from a 1980 interview on the R30 DVD where Alex gives an interview wearing a mask. When the interviewer asks Alex why he has the mask, Geddy says that Alex has a horrible skin disease. On a Rockline interview from '84, the boys did English accents.

progeezer
04-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know when/what channel the concert will be edited & televised?

JIF
04-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Does anyone know when/what channel the concert will be edited & televised?The last few induction ceremonies were on Fuse, because VH1 did a bad editing job(try to combine induction speeches with performances).

Jerjo
04-19-2013, 05:21 PM
HBO is going to run something, not sure what.

JIF
04-19-2013, 05:27 PM
HBO is going to run something, not sure what.Oh yeah, I forgot. The last one was on HBO, wasn't it?

progeezer
04-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Thanks!:)

ForeverAutumn
04-19-2013, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omd_ft0n6M8

They didn't even have to say the band's name to get the standing ovation!

Suck on THAT, Jan Wenner!

What Paulrus said. "D

3LockBox
04-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Who knew that Alex was such an Andy Kaufman fan ;)

Seriously though, even if he did go on a tad long with that joke, it was in the true spirit of Andy Kaufman in that it was only mildly amusing before shifting to awkwardness and even obnoxiousness before he was finished. Somewhere, Kaufman has to be smiling and the RRHOF hopefully "catches the drift".

JIF
04-19-2013, 07:01 PM
I wish I knew what you all were talking about. :(

Progatron
04-19-2013, 07:34 PM
What a bunch of terrific videos! So proud of my hometown boys, as I always have been. :)

Ya gotta love that frenzied crowd of fans, Grohl could barely be heard during parts of that introduction, and I loved his quip about Alex's tight pants on the back cover of 2112 - in high school, my friends and I used that photo to coin the term "munt", which still gets bandied about when we get together for a beer.

I haven't read this whole thread, has anyone mentioned this page?:

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/04/19/3600/Rush-inducted-into-the-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame

Here's what (Chris Squire) had to say to RollingStone.com when asked whether he was upset that Rush was getting inducted before Yes:

... I can't object to that. Logistically, it's probably difficult for whoever the committee is to bring in Yes. Rush is fairly simple. It's the same three guys and always has been. They deserve to be there, no doubt about that. But there still seems to be a certain bias towards early-Seventies prog rock bands like Yes and King Crimson.

JIF
04-19-2013, 07:44 PM
What a bunch of terrific videos! So proud of my hometown boys, as I always have been. :)

Ya gotta love that frenzied crowd of fans, Grohl could barely be heard during parts of that introduction, and I loved his quip about Alex's tight pants on the back cover of 2112 - in high school, my friends and I used that photo to coin the term "munt", which still gets bandied about when we get together for a beer.

I haven't read this whole thread, has anyone mentioned this page?:

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/04/19/3600/Rush-inducted-into-the-Rock-and-Roll-Hall-of-Fame

Here's what (Chris Squire) had to say to RollingStone.com when asked whether he was upset that Rush was getting inducted before Yes:

... I can't object to that. Logistically, it's probably difficult for whoever the committee is to bring in Yes. Rush is fairly simple. It's the same three guys and always has been. They deserve to be there, no doubt about that. But there still seems to be a certain bias towards early-Seventies prog rock bands like Yes and King Crimson.Maybe it's the many lineup changes that keep Yes, Tull, and King Crimson out of the hall? ;)

ronmac
04-19-2013, 09:02 PM
The induction ceremony will be broadcast May 18 on HBO.

JIF
04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
The induction ceremony will be broadcast May 18 on HBO.Thanks, Ron. I have HBO, so I am looking forward to that.

Rickenbacker
04-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I really don't think it'll be much longer for Yes & KC, now that Rush made it in. They, like Rush, can't be ignored forever.

Wisdomview
04-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Loved Lifeson's speech. To me, it pretty much summed up the fact that the RnR HoF is such a joke. I'm glad that he made fun of the situation following the two sincere speeches.

Adinfinitum
04-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Loved Lifeson's speech. To me, it pretty much summed up the fact that the RnR HoF is such a joke. I'm glad that he made fun of the situation following the two sincere speeches.

Alex's speech was the most poignant speech I think I ever heard, whether a political or awards ceremony speech. He captured the pointlessness, ridiculousness, meaninglessness but also the humor and humanity of it with just a single word BLAH!

In fact, if you analyze his facial expressions, gestures and mannerisms, he basically captured every single type of award acceptance speech. Pure genius.

progeezer
04-19-2013, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the date, Ron!

ronmac
04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the date, Ron!

Sorry, pal, you're not my type.

Digital_Man
04-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Heh. Rush were more worried about their fans worrying than they themselves. Obviously it was an honor for them but at the same time not a real big deal like it seems to be for many bands.

progeezer
04-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Sorry, pal, you're not my type.Rimshot !(that misses;))

Guess Who
04-20-2013, 01:44 AM
I'm sure that Rush is one of the most OVER-RATED bands ever existed. Don't like their music and almost hate Geddy's vox.