PDA

View Full Version : PE Suggestion

JKL2000
02-28-2016, 10:04 AM
I just saw the thread about Finch posted by someone who was totally unfamiliar with the band, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a section on the site with links to some useful things for people who are new to some of the less-widely known prog - things like the GEPR, those old Prog FAQs if they still exist somewhere, etc. (with a note that they all may be out of date but have some very useful core information.

I cut my teeth on those information sources, and I know a lot of other people here did too. It might let people then start threads where they're not totally wading into the shallow end when discussing a band, etc. Not that they shouldn't, but it just might help people feel like they're up to speed faster, and make for fewer initial descriptions/discussions of bands. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just saying. If I were a newbie I'd be glad to see them.

bob_32_116
02-28-2016, 10:20 AM
^^ I appreciate where you are coming from, but it would be a lot of work for somebody. Also, regarding information about certain bands, where do you draw the line at who gets included? If you have too many entries, you need a search function, and then you ask why the person would not just go to ProgArchives database or to Wikipedia, or do a blanket search on PE.

Not trying to be too negative here. If the feature was there, I'm sure I would use it. Like a lot of other things in this world, it would be nice to have, as long as someone considers it worth the time and effort to set it up.

Zeuhlmate
02-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Before making a thread I use the search function to make sure I'm not creating just another thread allready there. Everybody should do that.

I would love if the search button as default only searched in titles, and as advanced searched the lot = opposite of what its doing now..

bob_32_116
02-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Before making a thread I use the search function to make sure I'm not creating just another thread allready there. Everybody should do that.

I would love if the search button as default only searched in titles, and as advanced searched the lot = opposite of what its doing now..
Definitely. When I started the Procol Harum thread, I knew the band would most likely have been mentioned many times. the important thing was to find out whether there was already a thread specifically devoted to PH.

Poisoned Youth
02-28-2016, 02:14 PM
it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a section on the site with links to some useful things for people who are new to some of the less-widely known prog - things like the GEPR, those old Prog FAQs if they still exist somewhere, etc. (with a note that they all may be out of date but have some very useful core information.
It's been my experience that people will come to PE to ask a question regardless if all the information is readily available elsewhere on the internet. ;)

But seriously, that's what the community is for, no? In that particular thread, the OP is not asking for information, just sharing something he/she discovered. This has led to several others participating. However, if the OP asks for information, maybe a link to PA's database, Gnosis, a band's homepage, or elsewhere would be helpful.

Steve F.
02-28-2016, 04:20 PM
It's been my experience that people will come to PE to ask a question regardless if all the information is readily available elsewhere on the internet. ;)

:lol

JKL2000
02-28-2016, 06:09 PM

But seriously, that's what the community is for, no? In that particular thread, the OP is not asking for information, just sharing something he/she discovered. This has led to several others participating. However, if the OP asks for information, maybe a link to PA's database, Gnosis, a band's homepage, or elsewhere would be helpful.

You're right. But my intention wasn't really to steer people away from starting threads or searching - it was to share some useful resources that I think a lot of people might never come across on their own.

Also, it could just be a sticky thread.