PDA

View Full Version : Converting cassette tapes to digital

ronmac
11-19-2023, 04:57 PM
I have a number of shows I recorded back in the day that I would LOVE to convert to digital. I used to do it with a Harman Kardon digital recorder othat actually still works. But I'm looking to do this on my Macbook using a converter. I'm just beginning to research.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on the converter, but I do want lossless and good quality.

Koreabruce
11-19-2023, 05:16 PM
You'd just need some sort of digital interface such as the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 https://focusrite.com/products/scarlett-2i2 Use the line output from your cassette player and a stereo RCA cable with 1/4 plug adapters on the ends that plug into the interface. Pretty simple! (I've done this sort of thing A LOT.)

MudShark22
11-19-2023, 05:23 PM
I am going this route right now - picked up a nice cassette deck here on PE and getting my band SB cassettes into the DAW.

The above is a perfectly awesome way to go.

ronmac
11-19-2023, 06:03 PM
Let me be more clear. I am not looking to use this with my stereo, which is currently inaccessible. I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.clearclick.com/products/cassette2usb-cassette-tape-converter

I just know that there's a lot of junk out there.

Koreabruce
11-19-2023, 06:12 PM
That looks pretty simple - and that's as it should be since this is a straightforward process. It should output in WAV and mp3 formats. I've never used one of those, however, so I can't comment on the quality of that particular product. If I were doing this, I'd use an older version of Adobe Audition (1.5) to do all the editing and clean up the audio.

markwoll
11-19-2023, 06:26 PM
I tried the cassette player to audio interface ( in my case, a PerSonus Audio box 96 ) . Old tape players gave me fits with transport issues.
So I bought an Ion Tape2PC which works ok for saving old casettes.

rdclark
11-19-2023, 09:22 PM
How do these things do wrt decoding various forms of Dolby Digital, and compensating for different oxide formulations? Can they properly play back a Dolby C cassette recorded on CrO2 tape, for example?

rcarlberg
11-19-2023, 09:51 PM
I've done this sort of thing A LOT.

Me too. My first advice would be to avoid gimmicky all-in-one converters like the ClearClick. If your source is a grotty old cassette, and you want "lossless and good quality," you're probably going to want to clean up the audio and cut it into tracks, so an intermediate step (editing the audio in Audacity (https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/) - which is much more powerful than Audition and also free) is probably what you want to do.

In order to get the analog cassette audio into your MacBook, you'll want something like this: Behringer UCA202 (https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0484). Works flawlessly and is simple to use. Of course you need a good-quality cassette deck to play the tape -- but they're cheap on the used market right now. Any decent deck will outperform a toy like the ClearClick.

Regarding Dolby... I leave it OFF during transfers. Gives me more high-end to work with when I'm doing the final EQ shaping.

Happy converting.

P.S. - One more note. You MAY have to dust off your old "cassette repair" skills, learning all over again how to splice broken cassette leader. Old tapes can sometimes get brittle! I've had to lay in some empty cassette shells (https://www.duplication.ca/Empty-Audio-Cassette-C-ZERO-clear-liners-with-screws.html) and splicing tape (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084DNGJJG?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_22&amp=&crid=IQM8K1ZPLXPX&amp=&sprefix=cassette+splicing+tape) for the adventure.

progmatist
11-20-2023, 12:36 PM
Regarding Dolby: I use the DDi Codec (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ddi-codec-for-dolby-b-c-nr/id1321722039?mt=12) app in the Apple and Microsoft stores. It accurately decodes Dolby B and C, rather than the sledgehammer approach used by most cassette decks. I have yet to hear a cassette deck which didn't muddy and/or muffle the sound with Dolby engaged on playback.

Another issue I've had with aging cassette tapes is some rapidly deposit iron oxide on the tape head. Friction between the tape and the head will start producing a squealing sound. The telltale sign of a tape which will cause this is if the tape itself has a dull rough appearance. A smooth shiny looking tape will be problem free. The only workaround I've found for this is to periodically stop the tape and clean the heads. I've had to do this as often as every 5 minutes.

Dave (in MA)
11-20-2023, 01:03 PM
One handy technique in this regard that's saved me a lot of work is:
Look to see if someone else has already converted and uploaded the same show

I was surprised how many times that I was able to find what I thought was something obscure, already uploaded.

Rarebird
11-20-2023, 02:57 PM
I used my harddisk multitrackrecorder for this.

That Behringer thing looks interesting. It's much cheaper than my Steinberg UR12. But well, that one is 24 bit 196 kHz. Alas it just has one line and one mic input, so transfering a stereo-signal to the computer is not possible.

rcarlberg
11-20-2023, 03:34 PM
Ahem, considering the fidelity limitations of cassettes, I would think 24 x 196 is a bit of overkill.

Shadow
11-20-2023, 04:06 PM
I have a number of shows I recorded back in the day that I would LOVE to convert to digital. I used to do it with a Harman Kardon digital recorder othat actually still works. But I'm looking to do this on my Macbook using a converter. I'm just beginning to research.

Anyone have experience with this? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on the converter, but I do want lossless and good quality.

There are tapers on Dime-a-Dozen who offer to do transfers and probably mix and master your recordings for free. They will post it on Dime and you can download a good flac version you can burn to disc.

ronmac
11-20-2023, 04:07 PM
One handy technique in this regard that's saved me a lot of work is:
Look to see if someone else has already converted and uploaded the same show

I was surprised how many times that I was able to find what I thought was something obscure, already uploaded.

Correct. But I'm referring to shows I recorded myself. So, they are mostly uncirculated.

ronmac
11-20-2023, 04:12 PM
There are tapers on Dime-a-Dozen who offer to do transfers and probably mix and master your recordings for free. They will post it on Dime and you can download a good flac version you can burn to disc.

That's interesting. I'm not a Dime user. I was planning to reach out to a couple people I know who might be able to do it.

I'm not looking for super-high-quality professional dubs. These are cassette audience recordings. I want nice clean transfers for the most part that I can then play with a bit. So, I'm not sure if dropping a couple hundred bucks on a big component is the way I want to go. But, I'm also not looking for the $49.00 el-cheapo solution, either. If there's a decent device in the $100 range that I can plug and play without moving my cassette deck (digging a path to, moving furniture, un-cabling, moving, re-cabling), that's kinda where I think I wanna be.

Dave (in MA)
11-20-2023, 04:46 PM
Correct. But I'm referring to shows I recorded myself. So, they are mostly uncirculated.

You might be able to get the same show, for better or worse. :)

Shadow
11-20-2023, 05:08 PM
If you want to PM me a list of your shows and dates I'll look on Dime and Traders Den to see if anyone has ever posted them.

progmatist
11-20-2023, 06:50 PM
Ahem, considering the fidelity limitations of cassettes, I would think 24 x 196 is a bit of overkill.

24/192 is overkill for most home applications. That being said, transferring tapes in 24/96 using my new 3 head deck, and accurately decoding the Dolby NR renders a recording very comparable to a vinyl transfer. That accurate decoding alone makes a hell of a difference. [EDIT]: the primary culprit making cassettes sound bad is Dolby NR harshening the sound. Type B boosts the high end, and Type C compresses sound similar to DBX. The difference being a DBX encoded tape *MUST* be decoded to sound anywhere near acceptable. Decoding Type B isn't as simple as turning down the treble, because it's more complicated than that. And as previously stated, I have yet to hear a deck which could accurately decode either type.

ronmac
11-20-2023, 09:46 PM
You might be able to get the same show, for better or worse. :)

We're talking a couple dozen shows. I suppose there may be some others, but not many.

If you want to PM me a list of your shows and dates I'll look on Dime and Traders Den to see if anyone has ever posted them.

If they aren't on Sugarmegs, they probably aren't out there. Thanks, anyway.

I am looking to digitize MY recordings, not someone else's.

Rarebird
11-21-2023, 03:37 AM

You are right on that, but it is what I own, probably not what I would buy to transfer cassettes, because it only has one line in, so no stereo. I got it for free with Cubase 8 Pro. If I would have to buy something seperately that Behringer thing would be attractive.

rcarlberg
11-21-2023, 09:04 AM
If there's a decent device in the $100 range that I can plug and play without digging out my cassette deck, that's kinda where I think I wanna be.

Well there are certainly many devices on the market similar to the ClearClick:
https://www.amazon.com/cassette-flash-drive/s?k=cassette+to+flash+drive

If you just want a quick copy of something to play along with, maybe that's your best bet.

ronmac
11-21-2023, 10:35 AM

If you just want a quick copy of something to play along with, maybe that's your best bet.

Yeah, I know there are a lot. I was hoping someone here had experience with one of them.

Rarebird
11-21-2023, 10:57 AM

It looks like most of those convert the music to mp3-files. In a way it's the same problem most record-players with build-in converters have.

Shadow
11-21-2023, 12:43 PM

That's the tapers who might be interested in converting them for you. Then they could send you the files to download and burn to disc.

ronmac
11-21-2023, 12:52 PM
It looks like most of those convert the music to mp3-files. In a way it's the same problem most record-players with build-in converters have.

Yep, lossless is what I want.

That's the tapers who might be interested in converting them for you. Then they could send you the files to download and burn to disc.

I get that.

Dave (in MA)
11-21-2023, 02:20 PM

Understandable. My brother recorded a Holdsworth show from between Road Games and Metal Fatigue, and although it sounded horrible, I must have played my dub of it hundreds of times.

rcarlberg
11-21-2023, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I know there are a lot. I was hoping someone here had experience with one of them.

They're only $30±. Just hold your nose and pick one.

BTW, you can't have "lossless" and an MP3 stick at the same time.

Rarebird
11-21-2023, 03:04 PM

Yes, and that's the problem with most cassetteplayers with build in converters, they give you mp3s. I wouldn't want mp3s, I want wav.-files.

Dave (in MA)
11-21-2023, 03:15 PM

At my age and mostly for use in the car, it would hardly matter.

ronmac
11-21-2023, 03:51 PM

I never stated that I wanted both MP3 and lossless, now did I?

I have a couple dozen shows I'd like to convert. I am not looking to drop $30± for each one.

rcarlberg
11-21-2023, 04:42 PM
I never stated that I wanted both MP3 and lossless, now did I?

Well, you kinda did. You stated you want "lossless and good quality" and then a couple posts later you said you wanted "something like" the ClearClick Cassette2USB Converter... which converts to MP3.

Incidentally, I see the ClearClick includes Audacity software, so for $60 that might not be your worst option. After you edit in Audacity you can always save in WAV and FLAC or AIFF.

ronmac
11-21-2023, 05:03 PM
Well, you kinda did. You stated you want "lossless and good quality" and then a couple posts later you said you wanted "something like" the ClearClick Cassette2USB Converter... which converts to MP3.

Incidentally, I see the ClearClick includes Audacity software, so for $60 that might not be your worst option. After you edit in Audacity you can always save in WAV and FLAC or AIFF.

I misunderstood your last comment. I thought you were referring to guys on Dime who would do a single conversion for about 30 bucks each.

But, to be clear, once again, I am looking for lossless. My point about "something like the ClearClick," was about an all-in-one device, as opposed to a separate component that I need to run my cassette deck through.

So, no MP3. Yes Lossless. Yes Single device. $100 range, like I indicated.

Sorry for the confusion.

rcarlberg
11-21-2023, 06:18 PM
With all due respect, the ClearClick says it does 320kbps MP3s. With a CASSETTE source -- recorded LIVE no less (probably from the audience?) -- that's more fidelity than you'll ever need.

ronmac
11-21-2023, 06:48 PM
With all due respect, the ClearClick says it does 320kbps MP3s. With a CASSETTE source -- recorded LIVE no less (probably from the audience?) -- that's more fidelity than you'll ever need.

Yeah, I get all that. With all due respect.

rcarlberg
11-21-2023, 10:03 PM
Your weak spot in this setup is going to be the tape transport, which is driven off the USB power, which is what, 5v? 4v? Reviews of similar items on Amazon often mention "wobbly tapes" and excessive wow & flutter. That's why -- if money was no object and the highest quality was your goal -- I recommended starting with a decent cassette deck.

But if the $ vs. qual balance is the other way, any of these "toys" should do the job.

Rarebird
11-22-2023, 06:12 AM
I have 3 cassettedecks.

rcarlberg
11-22-2023, 02:10 PM
Give one to ronmac.

Rarebird
11-22-2023, 02:43 PM
Give one to ronmac.

If he lived next to me. Two of them where my dad's.

ronmac
11-22-2023, 05:36 PM
Give one to ronmac.

That's interesting. I'm not a Dime user. I was planning to reach out to a couple people I know who might be able to do it.

I'm not looking for super-high-quality professional dubs. These are cassette audience recordings. I want nice clean transfers for the most part that I can then play with a bit. So, I'm not sure if dropping a couple hundred bucks on a big component is the way I want to go. But, I'm also not looking for the $49.00 el-cheapo solution, either. If there's a decent device in the $100 range that I can plug and play without moving my cassette deck (digging a path to, moving furniture, un-cabling, moving, re-cabling), that's kinda where I think I wanna be.

We'll give you some time to catch up.

rcarlberg
11-22-2023, 10:25 PM
We'll give you some time to catch up.

Take a moment to dig that unit out. I just saved you $100.

ronmac
11-23-2023, 08:40 AM
Take a moment to dig that unit out. I just saved you $100.

What would I do without you? My hero. (Where's that sarcasm font when you need it?)

rcarlberg
11-23-2023, 10:07 AM
(Where's that sarcasm font when you need it?)

:beer