PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the music related groups closing down?

Digital_Man
11-10-2012, 06:26 PM
I have posted a "warning" in the music groups I started. Anyway, Sean has decided that the music related groups(regardless of the bands discussed apparently)take away from discussions in the main board. A quick glance at the main board would suggest this is not the case but nonetheless Sean has made up his mind. Apparently he wants more Yes, King Crimson and whatever band threads then there already are. We can't have too many Yes threads right folks? Anyway, sarcasm aside it is Sean's site and he can do what he wants. While I don't agree with Sean's decision, Sean is a good guy and I respect his decision. To some degree I can understand his position but at the moment I don't feel it's an issue. Moreover, I don't understand why there was an option to choose a music related group in the first place given how Sean and presumably other moderators feel about this.

Anyway, I would like to hear opinions from others. I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone but would like to hear different opinions on this. Sean has not yet given a date as to when he is going to shut down and instead asked me to "wind down the groups" and close them. I refuse. He can kick me out of PE or close the groups himself but I'm not going to cave and close them. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe in(even with things that in the end aren't of paramount importance in the greater scheme of things).

In closing(no pun intended)I can only hope that Sean closes(or tells the moderators of these groups to close down)all the music related groups even ones that don't mention band names.

Trane
11-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I think the Admins are right about closing these groups... Although not the intent per se, these private group threads only serve to empty out the sustance of the main forum...

NogbadTheBad
11-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I agree with the admins, I don't want to have to check for groups to see if there postings. The main page is the right place for that stuff

Jerjo
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I started a group but I agree. I mean the Yes threads get tiresome but I just don't click on them.

notallwhowander
11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I will miss the "Robert Fripp Is Watching You" icon, but it makes sense to let the music groups go. The whole board is a music group, and the best strategy for getting new folks involved with the bands we like is to make discussions of them as accessible as possible. That means keeping them on the main board.

As far as letting us create music groups in the first place, this can be filed under the "bear with us as we get the new site sorted out" caveat. I honestly trust Sean and Duncan that their vision for the board will be a good one (years of experience backs this up). And if it isn't, I trust them to make the proper adjustments as problems become evident. So if the music groups prove to be a needful thing, they'll reinstate them.

polmico
11-10-2012, 08:05 PM
It was a good idea to start them, but I think closing them makes sense.

Digital_Man
11-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I already changed the Robert Fripp is watching you icon to the cover for ITCOTCK. I guess that shows how close you've been paying attention to these groups. LOL. If you like that icon though you can probably find it online by googling "Robert Fripp is watching you."

Well there seems to be a consensus here so I won't argue but at the same time I'm not closing them myself. If Sean wants to then that's his right to. Or people could just leave on their own. I might consider closing a group if it had less than five members or so in it but for the most part I'm sticking to my guns. I suspect a lot of people will just leave now that he's made that announcement(well he made it in one thread anyway).

Scott Bails
11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I don't see a need for a group that covers the same subjects covered on the main forum.

-=RTFR666=-
11-10-2012, 08:28 PM
Forming little cliques aka separate music groups on a music-related discussion board is redundant and needless when a dedicated thread can be followed. I'm with sean and what appears to be the majority...JMO YMMV etc etc, natch. D_M can always make like Moses, strike out on his own with his flock in tow, and create his own board, of course... :roll

I'm missing the PEv2 side menu, though...

Gruno
11-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I honestly trust Sean and Duncan that their vision for the board will be a good one (years of experience backs this up). And if it isn't, I trust them to make the proper adjustments as problems become evident. So if the music groups prove to be a needful thing, they'll reinstate them.

Agree 100%

Well there seems to be a consensus here so I won't argue but at the same time I'm not closing them myself. If Sean wants to then that's his right to. Or people could just leave on their own. I might consider closing a group if it had less than five members or so in it but for the most part I'm sticking to my guns.

Why don't you just help out Sean & Duncan and close the group as was asked? Why cause them more unnecessary work than they already have to do with this site?

A. Scherze
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm for keeping the group groups, if they are used for discussions of the past, and the main forum is for current activities.

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Well there's no way to know for sure what people who start the groups are going to be using them for. Some might talk about current activities by bands. Mine are mostly for past involvements of bands and lists(mostly of albums and songs). Sean hates lists and doesn't like to see them in the main boards. I guess I can't win. :roll

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Agree 100%

Why don't you just help out Sean & Duncan and close the group as was asked? Why cause them more unnecessary work than they already have to do with this site?

Because I don't agree with it? Why should I help them do something that I don't agree with? Besides, I don't see anyone else closing down their music groups. I'm not the only one with music groups on here.

If the moderators want to close them down fine. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to do. They are big boys I'm sure they can handle it.

Vic2012
11-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm with the admins on this too. It's very easy for this site to become very fragmented (as if the old site wasn't? :lol) with little clubs and cliques. Not sure why people feel they need to start "groups" anyway. It might be some ego-satisfying thing. People want to be the leader of their little classroom. And I'm probably full o' shit too ;).

Progatron
11-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Not a fan of the groups. I like everything out in the open where I can see it. I come here, click on 'New posts' and I'm good to go. If it is a matter of such importance to you that you make posts like "I can't win" and "Why should I help them", you are of course free to construct your own prog forum and run it the way you please.

Amy
11-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Because I don't agree with it? Why should I help them do something that I don't agree with? Besides, I don't see anyone else closing down their music groups. I'm not the only one with music groups on here.

If the moderators want to close them down fine. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to do. They are big boys I'm sure they can handle it.

Wow, Mike. Really? This is so vital to you that you'd be this obnoxious to the admin/mods of this site, who are about as fair and reasoned as can be? You're a long-time member of PE. Ask yourself why.
I'm pretty surprised at your attitude. :(

Poisoned Youth
11-11-2012, 03:37 PM
I have mixed feelings about it, but I do understand the reasoning behind closing them. Don't take it personally, Mike. If it wasn't you, it would have been someone else. I think it's better we address this now than months down the road long after the barn door has been opened.

I think you will see some music groups exist, but they may be much more niche focused. Because are main boards ARE ripe with discussions about Yes, Genesis, KC, etc., having groups seems a bit redundant and confusing for readers.

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
May as well close this thread now too.

I'm not the only one who felt that the main boards get too cluttered especially with what Cozy used to call Flonkus bands.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to even stay on here at all. Aside from the group thing, I'm not too happy with this new site. No chat room for one thing. It's just not the same.

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Amy said: Ask yourself why.

Yeah why do they need to close down the groups. That's what I'm asking. Don't make me out to be the villain here. They had it set up a certain way and now I'm the bad guy for wanting to keep them? Give me a break. I ask myself why alright. These groups posed no threat to the main board and a look at all the KC threads on the main board tells me I did the right thing by standing my ground. Disagree with me but NEVER give me crap for standing for what I believe in. Anyway, it's all over know. The powers that be won. I hope they are happy. But.........

NogbadTheBad
11-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm sure we'll find a way to post Crimson news

Progatron
11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't make me out to be the villain here.

Melodramatic much? There IS no villain. "The powers that be won, I hope they are happy"? Wow.

Someone send him a Get Well card or something.

Poisoned Youth
11-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Don't make me out to be the villain here. They had it set up a certain way and now I'm the bad guy for wanting to keep them? Give me a break.

Mike, just relax. No one is calling you a villain. Just let it go. No one is painting you out to be a bad guy.

There's one thing you're just not taking into consideration here and that's how we are only ONE WEEK into a testing period with this site. In fact, because the site URL was essentially leaked, the "testing period" ended prematurely, and there were suddenly a few hundred people on the site.

There are many features of this version that differ from the last one and we're really just testing them out. The Groups feature is one of them. It's likely that if we had the proper testing period, this wouldn't have become a topic of discussion.

Digital_Man
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks for helping to put that in perspective for me Cozy. I still disagree with the reasoning and think they should give the groups a chance but whatever. What's done is done and I don't really have anything more to say about it. But I want to thank you for your very professional attitude. If I seemed hostile to anyone including Sean I apologize. I tried to present my case in a level headed way but I admit I might have gotten a little emotional about it. Kind of like some of us in the political threads or when discussing Yes and Genesis. :)

Duncan Glenday
11-11-2012, 11:15 PM
There IS a chatroom.

Go to the OLD PE (there's a link for it at the top of this screen) and use that chat room.

that is what we'll do until the new chat room is enabled.

Music discussions belong on the main board - whether the artists are old or new. there's no mystery about it, and no conspiracy - it just makes sense ... IMO.

Digital_Man
11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
There IS a chatroom.

Go to the OLD PE (there's a link for it at the top of this screen) and use that chat room.

that is what we'll do until the new chat room is enabled.

Music discussions belong on the main board - whether the artists are old or new. there's no mystery about it, and no conspiracy - it just makes sense ... IMO.

There is no chat room on THIS new site. I thought I made it clear that's what I was referring to. Of course I know about the chat room on the old PE.

sonic
11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm beginning to think PE 3.0 would be better off having only 2 main categories like PE 2.0 The more categories ... and groups the more people end up hanging out in one place and never even see what's going on elsewhere, thus not contributing to discussions they might have had an interest in if they had seen it.

Scott Bails
11-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm beginning to think PE 3.0 would be better off having only 2 main categories like PE 2.0 The more categories ... and groups the more people end up hanging out in one place and never even see what's going on elsewhere, thus not contributing to discussions they might have had an interest in if they had seen it.

Use the "New Posts" function - you get to see everything in one long list and therefore don't miss a thing.

sonic
11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Use the "New Posts" function - you get to see everything in one long list and therefore don't miss a thing.

True. But I don't think a lot of people know that ... not yet anyway.

Poisoned Youth
11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
True. But I don't think a lot of people know that ... not yet anyway.

It's only been stated about 50 times so far. I figure another 100 times oughta do it. :O

ffroyd
11-14-2012, 06:59 AM
The member formerly known as Prog_Traveller and analog_kid.Mike, how would we have ever known this was you if you had not put this as your signature? ;)

JKL2000
11-14-2012, 07:13 AM
I think the groups would go left unused and are unnecessary.