PDA

View Full Version : Invicta - The Enid's best so far?

Hurm
11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
It's time for a thread about an album that amazes me at every listen since it was released a week back.

I'm talking about "Invicta" by The Enid. And if you don't know this band: there's no band that in its career has been creating such a unique blend of classical and rock music. For instance, nobody in the rock or pop field is creating such rich and elaborate symphonic arrangement like The Enid. Or uses a purely classical instrument like timpany the way The Enid does. One reviewer used the description 'Pink Floyd meets the Berlin Philharmoniker'. It's not that accurate I think, but you'll get an idea of the uniqueness of their sound.

With "Invicta" they have reached a new level. You really need to listen to the album as a whole and will find out that it's majestic, overwhelming and moving at the same time. And it's extremely dynamic, soundwise. The production is top notch and several more or less cinematic effects will blow you out of your couch at every listen!

All six members of the current line-up are excellent in their own field, but they use their skills to create a true unit. With the addition of Joe Payne they've got a better singer than they ever had and he also writes though provoking lyrics. Don't turn away if you don't like too many lead vocals, there's a lot of that unique orchestral layered vocal sound also. It's a real good mixture of all the elements that make The Enid so special.

Since a couple of years, Jason Ducker is the main guitar player. On "Invicta" he manages to make his guitar sound like an operatic singer (in "Heaven's Gate") but he also nods to Brian May in a brilliant way (in "Villain Of Science").

All in all I think it's one of the best The Enid albums and a true contender for best classical/progressive rock album of 2012.

You can listen to clips on their http://www.theenid.co.uk/. And of course it's the best place to purchase their album, too.

I wonder if I'm biased by knowing these guys a little bit by now. So that's why I'm curious about other people's opinions about it.

jcarr73729
11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
I highly recommend the 24-bit version available as a download at the official website.
Great music, wonderful production, excellent dynamics, and what 24-bit options should sound like.

progcowboy
11-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Ever since I got the album it's been on auto play. Here is my take on the album.
With Invicta the band manage to surprise even the diehard fan base and also to my ears bring the band full circle combining the feeling of the early days with the vocal powers of the current. From the very surprising opener "One & the Many", where Joe starts with falsetto it is goose bumps. His voice fits perfectly with the orchestral music and carries the compositions. Also the choir harmonies are again quite prominent, Max Read is a true master in orchestrating these.
Some of the highlights include the instrumental melancholy "Heaven's Gate" with one of the most beautiful guitar pieces ever where Jason Ducker makes the guitar sing like Maria Calas.
Witch Hunt is another where the percussion duo of Nic Willes and Dave Storey are most prominent. Halfway through the album we get the quirky "Exicution Mob" a short odd number with a great bass groove that will make your house shake if turned to 11.
And let's not forget the unforgettable melody in "Villain of Science". There is still so much to discover, even after several spins.
Again, a new era dawned for The Enid and dare I say with confidence that this is the album of the year!

If you are curious to hear some tracks tune in to the Xymphonia radio show tonight 20.00 CET where we will be playing 2 tracks.
http://members.home.nl/xymphonia/

revporl
11-20-2012, 05:13 AM
This album has really surprised me. I've liked the Enid since the 80's and I was more than a bit dubious initially about the addition of a vocallist but this really works well. It is like a new band, albeit one that builds on ther tradition of the "Old" Enid. Melodically innovative, incredible production and wonderful musicianship, this is the first Enid album since "Something Wicked" which could reach out beyond the core fanbase.
On the first listen I said "Fkin masterpiece, Muse, Mika and Shostakovich in a tumble dryer!" as my first reaction on Twitter. Not far of the mark, still. My girlfiend says it's "Prog rock Brecht" which isn't too far off either.

Whatever the comparisons (a very lazy way of apreciating music of any sort, I know!), it's worth a listen, my album of the year so far.

Progger58
11-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Another Enid fan here.

To the top of my list of next purchases. :up

ChrisXymphonia
11-20-2012, 02:30 PM
According to a post by Max Read on his FB page they have already run out of the first batch of cd's :). I reckon more are already on their way.

Rael
11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I admit I was a little bit disappointed in the last Enid album-"Arise and Shine". How does Invicta compare?

ChrisXymphonia
11-21-2012, 06:12 AM
I admit I was a little bit disappointed in the last Enid album-"Arise and Shine". How does Invicta compare?

Simply put: not. Arise And Shine wasn't a "new" album but an album of pieces from their backcatalogue re-recorded by the current line-up. I actually quite like it due to the fact that the arrangements are different. Since the first one their have been 2 more volumes where the last one, Shining, say the introduction of Joe Payne as lead vocalist. Yep, I have most songs now pretty much in multiple editions but as said they are quite different compared to the original.

Invicta should be compared with the previous studio album Journey's End (which I think is really really good) and as such Invicta is also quite a different animal, one I haven't totally come to grips with but at least two friends of mine whose opinion I value highly are super enthusiastic about (they both posted in this thread alread).

Meme Prog Mutation
11-21-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.theenid.co.uk/. And of course it's the best place to purchase their album, too.

Ordered! (and very much looking forward to delivery).

Tom

Rand Kelly
11-22-2012, 04:43 AM
I ordered the cd.

Meme Prog Mutation
12-04-2012, 09:15 PM
With "Invicta" they have reached a new level.

All in all I think it's one of the best The Enid albums and a true contender for best classical/progressive rock album of 2012.

Just received my CD today and after two listens I have to agree with both of these statements.

Tom

revporl
12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I can't wait to hear it played live. Also, I have to stop referring to it as "Evicta"! Duno what I'm thinking of.... eviction? Evita?

This is up there with their very best albums, a few weeks down the line and I'm enjoying it more and more every time I put it on.

Duncan Glenday
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Listening to it for the first time right now.

Very interesting - thanks for the recommendation. I think it will grow on me and become a fave ... and I'm only on track 6 so far.

jeffworman
12-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Presently available for previewing in its entirety on Progstreaming. I'm heading there right now for a listen - - - - - - Jeff

ChrisXymphonia
12-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Presently available for previewing in its entirety on Progstreaming. I'm heading there right now for a listen - - - - - - Jeff

And if Invicta isn't entirely to your liking then I do urge you to check out, due to it being quite different then Invicta, the live disc with the CBSO that is also on Progstreaming.

GreenD
12-27-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.progstreaming.com/ 3 albums at streaming.

Sunhillow
01-06-2013, 05:52 AM
I think it's a great album, and it moves me to plunge into their back catalogue.

Rand Kelly
01-06-2013, 06:48 AM
I think I prefer Journey's End after owning this for awhile.

ChrisXymphonia
01-06-2013, 07:32 AM
I think it's a great album, and it moves me to plunge into their back catalogue.

Markwin, while at its core it is still very Enid-like Invicta is nonetheless vastly different to what they have done before. However they are all worth exploring. My personal favourite will always remain the original version of Aerie Faerie Nonsense (can be bought directly from the band, if you get it elsewhere make sure it is on the Operation Seraphim label and not on the Inner Sanctum as that one is a vinyl rip).

Rand Kelly
01-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Robert calls them Inner Scrotum. lol

Rand Kelly
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Christian,I started with Six Pieces in 1980 and therefore it remains my favorite,but they're all good at varying degrees. Punch and Judy Man still leaves me stunned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2te3aLe-q5s

Meme Prog Mutation
01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
I joined the Enidi. Used to be a member of the Stand, so not a big leap for me, but good grief what a bargain. As a member you can download practically their entire back catalog. I was able to pick up the one studio release I didn't have, and a concert recording only available to members of the Enidi.

Rand Kelly
01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
I joined the Enidi. Used to be a member of the Stand, so not a big leap for me, but good grief what a bargain. As a member you can download practically their entire back catalog. I was able to pick up the one studio release I didn't have, and a concert recording only available to members of the Enidi.

Cool...I was considering joining. What can you tell me about this Live at Loreley dvd being offered for free? Is it PAL or NTSC? What's on it please?

Meme Prog Mutation
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Cool...I was considering joining. What can you tell me about this Live at Loreley dvd being offered for free? Is it PAL or NTSC? What's on it please?

I'm afraid I'm clueless. I didn't see that the DVD was being offered, and can't find a mention of it on the web site.

Tom

Rand Kelly
01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm afraid I'm clueless. I didn't see that the DVD was being offered, and can't find a mention of it on the web site.

Tom

Tom,it came inside The Enidi pamphlet that arrived with my Invicta cd. On the last page it shows the dvd under The Perks. "When you join up you will immediately receive the current free Enidi dvd 'Live At Loreley'-and a membership card through the post. Phone:+44(0) 1604 251 668 e-mail: INFO@THEENIDI.ORG website: WWW.ENIDI.ORG ENID HQ 23 ABINGTON SQUARE NORTHAMPTON NN1 4AE

Rand Kelly
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I just e-mailed The Enidi and asked for more info on this Live at Loreley dvd. I also suggested they would gain more members by showing what I see in the Enidi pamphlet on their site BEFORE joining as an incentive you know? I told them they were missing an opportunity here by hiding the thing until after you join.

Duncan Glenday
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I gave it 10th best of the year:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=270#DuncanGlenday

Rand Kelly
01-08-2013, 08:39 PM
WoW! Duncan....District 97-Trouble With Machines No. 6? I gave them No. 1,but I haven't heard that many new albums in 2012. 6 is pretty damn impressive though.

Meme Prog Mutation
01-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Tom,it came inside The Enidi pamphlet that arrived with my Invicta cd. Okay, I received one of those too. Shows how well I read it! Well I just joined last weekend, so maybe it will arrive in the post.

Tom

Hurm
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't know if it's PAL or NTSC - my player and TV don't bother. There is no info about this on the label or sleeve.
The tracklisting is: Judgement Day / In The Region Of The Summer Stars / Sheets Of Blue / The Dark Hydraulic Forces Of The Id / Childe Roland.

And there is a very interesting interview with the band as a bonus, beautifully filmed with the Rhine below in the back.

arturs
02-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I figured there must already be an Invicta thread so I'm glad I searched... Several of my questions have been answered by previous posters.

I first listened to it yesterday on progstreaming, intrigued by the interesting cover. As for my take, as a total newbie: Holy Cow! This new cd is a totally over-the-top meisterwerk. I have listened to it 4-5 times already and don't think I will stop anytime soon. Must order! It is so interesting (lyrically and instrumentally) and varied and warm. Sounds like they are backed by a whole orchestra, but they're not are they? Just synths and their own inventive playing if I listen closely.

One more question: if I love this will I like the back catalogue? Not sure based on viewing some youtube clips.

Don Arnold
02-10-2013, 12:53 AM
One more question: if I love this will I like the back catalogue? Not sure based on viewing some youtube clips.

I would think you'd like much of their back catolgue, including their previous release, "Journey's End". The Enid's first 3 or 4 from their first era (circa 70's) are all worthy of a pick-up IMO. They gradually got a little softer in their sound as they progressed (no pun intended) from there. I have 6 lp's, 1 compiliation and 2 fan releases from that earlier period, plus 3 cd's from their more recent output. Not one of them is a clunker, yet some I go back to more than others.

I have yet to pick up Invicta, though it's on my to-buy list.

Rand Kelly
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I would think you'd like much of their back catolgue, including their previous release, "Journey's End". The Enid's first 3 or 4 from their first era (circa 70's) are all worthy of a pick-up IMO. They gradually got a little softer in their sound as they progressed (no pun intended) from there. I have 6 lp's, 1 compiliation and 2 fan releases from that earlier period, plus 3 cd's from their more recent output. Not one of them is a clunker, yet some I go back to more than others.

I have yet to pick up Invicta, though it's on my to-buy list.

Get Six Pieces next. But NEVER from Inner Sanctum. If you see any Enid music on Inner Sanctum it is to be considered 100% UNAUTHORIZED BY THE ENID=BOOTLEG!!! I hope I made that point clear. Enedi is the label that is approved by the band.

Rand Kelly
02-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I don't know if it's PAL or NTSC - my player and TV don't bother. There is no info about this on the label or sleeve.
The tracklisting is: Judgement Day / In The Region Of The Summer Stars / Sheets Of Blue / The Dark Hydraulic Forces Of The Id / Childe Roland.

And there is a very interesting interview with the band as a bonus, beautifully filmed with the Rhine below in the back.

Thank you for the info,since the band gave out zip.

Father Tiresias
07-03-2014, 09:44 PM
I just picked this up on vinyl. It's my first taste of The Enid, and I'm smitten with it. Glorious stuff, and the recording is impeccable. Side 1 is on nonstop repeat.

arturs
07-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Invicta still gets regular play from me in the 1.5 years since I bought it. Nothing else like it!