PDA

View Full Version : Emerson - Three Fates Project

Brian Griffin
12-01-2012, 03:27 PM
Killer CD - some fantastic orchestrated versions of classic ELP, and some other things as well, with Mark Bonilla on guitar

Pretty legit, bully for KE

BG

polmico
12-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Any camples anywhere?

80s were ok
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
can't wait to get this. Only $12.99 on Amazon.

gregory
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
eager to get this.

Reginod
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Just listened again earlier today. The arrangements are really finely done; they do justice to the originals, and add some really sweet nuance which allows them to stand on their own, yet at the same time they whet the appetite for the originals. There is more energy to it than one might expect out of a symphonic album of this nature, and there are a handful of Bonilla or Emerson compositions of which I am not sure whether they've been released before in some other form.

All in all it's better than I woulda thunk, but then again I went in with the notion of enjoying it, rather than trying to find fault, so I guess YMMV.

Arkangel3
12-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I've had this about two weeks, and it is impeccably arranged and performed. The orchestral "Tarkus" is flat-out jaw dropping. "The Endless Enigma" has some beautiful arrangements; very Elgar or RV Williams-sounding. Overall an excellent album that has been getting a lot of airplay. (Funny how "The Endless Enigma" stays in your head days after listening to it...it's kind of weird having an orchestra bang around in me brain! :D )

Jymbot
12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Any camples anywhere?

Out of 3 words you dont even take the effort to spell correctly, so...

NO, no samples for you, mate.

rickawakeman
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Have had this beautiful-sounding release for a couple of weeks. Great stuff, highly recommended. One of the best pairings of band and orchestra I've heard.

Paulrus
12-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds like someone needs an education in the great ProgEars "camples" tradition...

Baribrotzer
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Sounds like someone needs an education in the great ProgEars "camples" tradition..."Camples" originated as a misspelling in a post by Thomas Arena (Yanks). For some reason or other, it caught on as a PE in-joke, like "Lino's birthday" or "Wally" or "Blue Vino". And no, I don't know why it caught on, either - if I did, I'd be making the big bucks in advertising, rather than not making the big bucks in anything.

rickawakeman
12-03-2012, 11:52 AM
I really want this release. Does anyone here in the colonies know if it will be available at the stores that carry Prog magazine?

Arkangel3
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Camples live! :D

polmico
12-03-2012, 04:44 PM

NO, no samples for you, mate.
I will keep this in mind . . .

Rand Kelly
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
The version from Norway has a "making of DVD" and that's the one I want. It comes to about $31 when all is said and done.

Rand Kelly
12-03-2012, 04:55 PM
There is a trailer for it on You Tube.

Rand Kelly
12-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Ordered the cd/dvd....but why only Norway? Anyway,I could not find it anywhere else,so I await this masterful music.

80s were ok
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
"Camples" originated as a misspelling in a post by Thomas Arena (Yanks). For some reason or other, it caught on as a PE in-joke, like "Lino's birthday" or "Wally" or "Blue Vino". And no, I don't know why it caught on, either - if I did, I'd be making the big bucks in advertising, rather than not making the big bucks in anything.

new site, new traditions- from now on the correct word is SAMPLES!

Brian Griffin
12-04-2012, 11:26 AM

I found the tradition pretty stupid, but others seemed to enjoy it

Live and let live

BG

Jeremy Bender
12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I've had this about two weeks, and it is impeccably arranged and performed. The orchestral "Tarkus" is flat-out jaw dropping. I get that there were limitations in terms of rehearsal time and all that with the Works tour orchestra but it always bugged me that for years Keith would say "Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 should be orchestrated" and then they didn't use the orchestra on the cut-down Tarkus or First Impression Part 2, let alone do either Tarkus or Karn Evil 9 complete, but they found time to use it on Knife Edge.

Sounds like an interesting album, thanks for the heads up BG.

Reginod
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
but they found time to use it on Knife Edge.

Perhaps the orchestra were familiar enough with Janáček's "Sinfonietta" that it required less time and effort to do "Knife Edge".

Arkangel3
12-05-2012, 10:30 AM

Like hell! CAMPLES, baby! :D

No Pride
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Like hell! CAMPLES, baby! :D

Yeah! Don't be a party pooper, 80s!

bill g
12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
"Camples" originated as a misspelling in a post by Thomas Arena (Yanks). For some reason or other, it caught on as a PE in-joke, like "Lino's birthday" or "Wally" or "Blue Vino". And no, I don't know why it caught on, either - if I did, I'd be making the big bucks in advertising, rather than not making the big bucks in anything.

It's especially circumspect if we're talking of projects of Jon Camp.

Always look forward to another fine Emerson release.

per anporth
12-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm on my 4th listen through - this really is pretty good.

It lacks a bit of attack at times - Bonilla's guitar doesn't always mesh with the orchestra, & the drumming is a bit pedestrian at times - but there are lots of treats...

The orchestration on Tarkus is frequently surprising, & surprisingly effective - especially around Mass, there are lots of delightful moments. The Endless Enigma works very well; The Mourning Sun is excellent; & it's fun to hear a reworked Fanfare back to back with an orchestral run through "by the book".

I'd have liked to hear them maybe take a few more risks, perhaps try out some more new, or more experimental, material - but, overall, this is a rich & rewarding listen.

Mister Triscuits
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
It's especially circumspect if we're talking of projects of Jon Camp.

Or Junior Camples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVKUSUL9dYA

Rand Kelly
12-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Ordered the cd/dvd....but why only Norway? Anyway,I could not find it anywhere else,so I await this masterful music.

ordered on the 4th and received on the 17th. Not bad considering. I just wanted to let anyone who is planning on buying the cd/dvd that the dvd is PAL and cannot be played on any player that can't decode PAL. I never saw the site Simmax mention anything about play ability. So there's a heads up.

n.p.Three Fates Project

gregory
12-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Is it good? What's the sense of doing orchestral Endless Enigma? For I know well the orchestral Abaddon's Bolero, and I think it was a waste of time.

Rand Kelly
12-21-2012, 05:47 AM
I love it.

gregory
12-21-2012, 12:08 PM
I love it.
This maybe explains a lot for somebody, but not for me, sorry.. Some detailed observation is all I need here. I like some of Emerson's solo, but his orchestral foreys are different. Not always good. The orchestration on Nighthawks, for example, is way better than on Inferno - while it is not very problematic to exceed the disaster called Inferno.

80s were ok
12-21-2012, 12:37 PM
This maybe explains a lot for somebody, but not for me, sorry.. Some detailed observation is all I need here. I like some of Emerson's solo, but his orchestral foreys are different. Not always good. The orchestration on Nighthawks, for example, is way better than on Inferno - while it is not very problematic to exceed the disaster called Inferno.

Love those two Soundtracks!

rhymes with rogue
12-21-2012, 01:33 PM
A lot better than I thought it would be...and more rockin' than I thought, too. Endless Enigma and Tarkus work the best for me. Orchestration on Tarkus is creative and colorful. The drummer can be a little intrusive and irritating. The second part of Fanfare is inferior to ELP's original, and is my least favorite track. Overall, quite solid, and recommended.

donl
12-22-2012, 10:37 AM
i wish greg sang on it

Yanks2014
12-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Camples live! :D

They sure do, and totally appropriate in a KE thread! I've had this disc since Halloween and still have not spun it. Definitely will soon.

Rand Kelly
12-22-2012, 06:38 PM
They sure do, and totally appropriate in a KE thread! I've had this disc since Halloween and still have not spun it. Definitely will soon.

Good! God! Man!,what are you waiting for?

Harbottle
12-23-2012, 09:21 AM

I like Inferno - both the movie and the music.

Yanks2014
12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Good! God! Man!,what are you waiting for?

I have a lot of new music I haven't played yet, a good 10 cd's worth. That's what happens when you buy a boatload of music at two festivals in the same summer. Still getting caught up on my Nearfest haul, after only getting caught up on what I got at Rosfest a short while ago.

-=RTFR666=-
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I found myself more bugged by Bonilla's guitar then by the drumming. EE and despite Bonilla, Tarkus were terrific. Wasn't too enamored with the by-the-book runthrough of FFFTCM followed by a version of Fanfare that, to my ears, was weaker than the Works original. I think I preferred the Greg Lake w/Gary Moore version when hearing this guitar-centric version.

I've spent my money on worse orchestra-meets-rock CDs, though.

Jymbot
12-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Say what, Babylon?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/fuck_you.jpg

You DO understand you are speaking of the best prog release of 2012, don't you?