Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog Magazine Top 100 - The Full List

Prog Magazine Top 100 - The Full List

Appreciate there's already a thread on this, but thought it would be helpful to put the full list on the top page, for those that don't want to scroll through other posts.

Prog Magazine Top 100

1. Close To The Edge – Yes
    2. In The Court of the Crimson King – King Crimson
    3. Selling England By The Pound – Genesis
    4. Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd
    5. Thick As A Brick – Jethro Tull
    6. Foxtrot – Genesis
    7. Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
    8. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway – Genesis
    9. The Raven Who Refused To Sing – Steven Wilson
    10. Fragile – Yes
    11. Brain Salad Surgery – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    12. Red – King Crimson
    13. Moving Pictures – Rush
    14. Animals – Pink Floyd
    15. 2112 – Rush
    16. The Wall – Pink Floyd
    17. Scenes From A Memory – Dream Theater
    18. Fear of a Blank Planet – Porcupine Tree
    19. Relayer – Yes
    20. Misplaced Childhood – Marillion
    21. A Trick of the Tail – Genesis
    22. Tales from Topographic Oceans – Yes
    23. Hemispheres – Rush
    24. Pawn Hearts – Van Der Graaf Generator
    25. Images and Words – Dream Theater
    26. Going for the One – Yes
    27. Deadwing – Porcupine Tree
    28. Tarkus – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    29. Brave – Marillion
    30. Larks Tongues In Aspic – King Crimson
    31. The Snow Goose – Camel
    32. The Yes Album – Yes
    33. Lateralus – Tool
    34. Bridge Across Forever – Transatlantic
    35. In the Land of Pink and Grey – Caravan
    36. Blackwater Park – Opeth
    37. Meddle – Pink Floyd
    38. English Electric – Big Big Train
    39. The Whirlwind – Transatlantic
    40. Script for a Jester’s Tear – Marillion
    41. Nursery Cryme – Genesis
    42. Trilogy – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    43. Aqualung – Jethro Tull
    44. Wind and Wuthering – Genesis
    45. Colours – Between The Buried and Me
    46. Ghost Reveries – Opeth
    47. Clutching at Straws – Marillion
    48. The Incident – Porcupine Tree
    49. A Passion Play – Jethro Tull
    50. Grace for Drowning – Steven Wilson
    51. Mirage – Camel
    52. Marbles – Marillion
    53. A Farewell to Kings – Rush
    54. The Mountain – Haken
    55. Journey to the Centre of the Earth – Rick Wakeman
    56. Acquiring the Taste – Gentle Giant
    57. Crack the Skye – Mastodon
    58. Moonmadness – Camel
    59. Weather Systems – Anathema
    60. Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
    61. De-loused in the Crematorium – The Mars Volta
    62. Aenima – Tool
    63. The Parallax II – Between The Buried and Me
    64. Operation Mindcrime – Queensryche
    65. Octopus – Gentle Giant
    66. In Absentia – Porcupine Tree
    67. Insurgentes – Steven Wilson
    68. Rock Bottom – Robert Wyatt
    69. Permanent Waves – Rush
    70. Discipline – King Crimson
    71. Atom Heart Mother – Pink Floyd
    72. Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – The Beatles
    73. Godbluff – Van Der Graaf Generator
    74. Hot Rats – Frank Zappa
    75. Free Hand – Gentle Giant
    76. Songs from the Wood – Jethro Tull
    77. Crime of the Century – Supertramp
    78. Still Life – Opeth
    79. Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    80. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence – Dream Theater
    81. Leftoverture – Kansas
    82. Subterannea – IQ
    83. Still Life – Van Der Graaf Generator
    84. Remedy Lane – Pain of Salvation
    85. UK – UK
    86. Six – Mansun
    87. OK Computer – Radiohead
    88. Snow – Spock's Beard
    89. Awake – Dream Theater
    90. Afraid of Sunlight – Marillion
    91. Damnation – Opeth
    92. The Six Wives of Henry the Eighth – Rick Wakeman
    93. Storm Corrosion – Storm Corrosion
    94. War of the Worlds – Jeff Wayne
    95. To Our Children’s Children’s Children – The Moody Blues
    96. Lizard – King Crimson
    97. Voyage of the Acolyte – Steve Hackett
    98. Tago Mago – Can
    99. Moving Waves – Focus
    100. Drama - Yes
    Last edited by Valen; 08-07-2014 at 04:34 AM.

Worse. No Magma. WTF?

Another click-bait list designed to bring out the arguers and increase monetization.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No Magma, no Henry Cow, no Hatfield, no Tangerine Dream, no Fusion, no Avant, first Canterbury at 35, first Krautrock at 98, yikes. Pretty exclusively old "classics" and Heavy to Metal leaning.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No Magma, no Henry Cow, no Hatfield, no Tangerine Dream, no Fusion, no Avant, first Canterbury at 35, first Krautrock at 98, yikes. Pretty exclusively old "classics" and Heavy to Metal leaning.
    "...no clowns, no tigers, lions or bears,
    candy-floss, toffee apples, no clowns."

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Another click-bait list designed to bring out the arguers and increase monetization.
    That's one way of looking at it, but I prefer to see it as an opportunity to broaden my tastes.

I was impressed by newbies like Big Big Train and Haken scoring quite respectably against the big guns, and consequently I've just placed purchase orders for both albums. If other readers are equally inspired and buy into a band's back catalogue I see that as a positive thing for the reader, the band and the wider prog community.

Of course you'll never please everyone, but I was surprised at having over 85% of the albums that were chosen (by readers - not by committee!).

The editorial comments about us all 'liking lists' were nicely tongue in cheek and aware of the potential for heated debate....

Doesn't look to be any Italian prog either.

he editorial comments about us all 'liking lists' were nicely tongue in cheek and aware of the potential for heated debate....
    Ergo, click bait.
    Last edited by Dana5140; 08-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Let's count the ways ...

I have 67. Probably another 20 or so that I've heard and not particularly liked. That leaves @ a dozen that I need to check out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Someone please tell me how Radiohead's OK Computer is prog. Great album? Yes. Prog? NO.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    Someone please tell me how Radiohead's OK Computer is prog. Great album? Yes. Prog? NO.
    It's all opinion, I have everything by Radiohead from OK Computer onwardd squarely in the prog universe but then my definition is very very broad.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

"I know Radiohead say they aren't prog but, sorry chaps, you are, and it's brilliant." - Rick Wakeman

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    No Eloy? No Def Leppard?
    Chad

It's a safe list, but then it's a poll of top 10s from readers of a niche magazine, that rotates the big 5 from issue to issue. I'm not complaining here, it's great to have a magazine that we can read each month, and it has improved in coverage and writing since the early days. Just to say it will always be a lowest common denominator list, there's no way of getting around this.

I had 75 of these, and the other 25 are the Dream Theater / Metal end of the equation, which do zip for me. The only one I want to hear and never yet have is Storm Corrosion.

Radiohead definitely tick my definition of progressive, but OK Computer although brilliant is somewhat a safer release than those that followed (Kid A and Amnesiac for starters). I was surprised even to see Can, but then there's nothing else remotely Krautrock, and as has been pointed out, no Italian, French, Scandinavian etc. The magazine could use it's audience to try and broaden tastes, but I suspect most people are fairly intransigent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    It's a safe list, but then it's a poll of top 10s from readers of a niche magazine, that rotates the big 5 from issue to issue. I'm not complaining here, it's great to have a magazine that we can read each month, and it has improved in coverage and writing since the early days. Just to say it will always be a lowest common denominator list, there's no way of getting around this.

I had 75 of these, and the other 25 are the Dream Theater / Metal end of the equation, which do zip for me. The only one I want to hear and never yet have is Storm Corrosion.

Radiohead definitely tick my definition of progressive, but OK Computer although brilliant is somewhat a safer release than those that followed (Kid A and Amnesiac for starters). I was surprised even to see Can, but then there's nothing else remotely Krautrock, and as has been pointed out, no Italian, French, Scandinavian etc. The magazine could use it's audience to try and broaden tastes, but I suspect most people are fairly intransigent.
    So you have the MANSUN album? I have some songs on the radio which I liked so do you reccomend them. Never associated them as Prog!

I have 98 albums from that list.

There is no perfect list but this is a good one. To me Marillon and Dream Theatre are there too many times but hey, this is only my opinion. :o)
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have 98 albums from that list.
    Which two are missing?

Nothing with non-English lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Just to say it will always be a lowest common denominator list, there's no way of getting around this.
    How exactly is a list made up of many of the most successful artists in the genre a "lowest common denominator" list? Because it doesn't fit with your specialized tastes? It's a poll and that"s what happens. The most well known and popular win. Generally speaking, more people are familiar with and like these albums than some of the representation that you and others on PE are looking for. If you put together a movie poll, many more people are going to vote for Steven Spielberg than say Francois Truffaut. It doesn't mean Truffaut wasn't talented, it's just that more people are familiar with and like Spielberg's work. I understand when people don't agree with these lists, but I don't get the idea of "how could it be this way??!!" and "where is this album or that band??!!" It is what it is. They took a poll and more people are familiar with these artists than say Can, Henry Cow, Italian prog, etc.

I basically own all of them except:

54. The Mountain – Haken
    63. The Parallax II – Between The Buried and Me
    86. Six – Mansun

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    So you have the MANSUN album? I have some songs on the radio which I liked so do you reccomend them. Never associated them as Prog!
    Yes I do, they are a real favourite of mine, and I was surprised to see them on a Prog magazine list, shocked really! I personally prefer their first album "Attack Of The Grey Lantern", which is possibly a top 10 album of all time for me, it's proggy but in a new wave kind of way, and rocks too. "Six" is a really good album too though, worth your exploration for sure. "Little Kix" their third album isn't quite on a par, but they are unsung and deserve greater attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    How exactly is a list made up of many of the most successful artists in the genre a "lowest common denominator" list? Because it doesn't fit with your specialized tastes? It's a poll and that"s what happens.
    That is not what I am saying at all. Many of these are amongst my favourite albums, but in a poll of thousands of respondents, it will only be those that appear frequently that will occupy the top places. I can imagine many many responses that looked almost identikit, and so those with more esoteric tastes would have been swamped in the deluge.

Quote Originally Posted by dnieper View Post
    I basically own all of them except:
    You simply must get this one then, it's absolutely wonderful, and if you have the rest of the chart, you'll be sure to appreciate this release.