Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm somehow now intrigued by these small 2TB external hard drives their selling. Is there any kind of small, portable player that could be connected to one of those? Do they need an A/C power supply?

They could definitely make sharing a shitload of music with someone very easy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm somehow now intrigued by these small 2TB external hard drives their selling. Is there any kind of small, portable player that could be connected to one of those? Do they need an A/C power supply?

They could definitely make sharing a shitload of music with someone very easy.
    Most portable external drives that I've seen to require a power source, and aren't portable enough to fit in one's pocket like a typical mp3 player.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Most portable external drives that I've seen to require a power source, and aren't portable enough to fit in one's pocket like a typical mp3 player.
    I saw a Seagate one today that was smaller than the portable CD players I've carried around in my pocket at times. Definitely not bigger than some of the big smart phones in use lately.

But the power supply would be a problem.

I plugged my iPad into my computer last night and something has changed with the latest iTunes update. It wiped my entire iPad of all books and music. When I tried to restore the iBooks and music functions on iTunes were very unwieldy. God I hate iTunes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I plugged my iPad into my computer last night and something has changed with the latest iTunes update. It wiped my entire iPad of all books and music. When I tried to restore the iBooks and music functions on iTunes were very unwieldy. God I hate iTunes.
    Eric I just updated my wufe's ipod the other fY....no problemo...???

I don't know, it handled the iPhone just fine but something happened when it synced with the iPad. First all the books froze out on iTunes and then disappeared from the tablet, then I checked the music and it was the same thing. Very weird. I blame iTunes because that is one terrible piece of software when used on a PC.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My iPod Classic 160 GB hasn't been used for the past 2 years. The drive works fine, but there's a problem with the earphone jack: the left channel is dead. It had started going wonky well before, and I'd simply jiggled the wire to get the sound to come out right. Naturally, it gave out at one point. Remembering the glory days of soldering dodgy earphone jack connections in my dad's little shop next to the house, I figured that such a fix would be relatively straightforward. In mid 2013, I sent it to the place that repairs Apple hardware in Seoul (yeah, I'm still in Korea). The prognosis? Repairs would cost the equivalent of US $190... for a unit that at the time sold for $235! Apparently, there's a whole board inside that must be replaced. The obvious message there was "Buy a new one." I said "Thanks but no thanks" to that and haven't used iTunes since then. Frankly, I haven't missed its bloated presence, either. I do miss the very convenient player itself, though. Now I use the Sansa Clip (8GB), mostly for audio books, and it's pretty nice for what it is, but I'd still prefer to not have to have to load it up so often. http://tinyurl.com/m7op9n8

Itunes is definitely dicey when it comes to 40,000 plus tunes libraries.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Itunes is definitely dicey when it comes to 40,000 plus tunes libraries.
    It should behave better with all long prog epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I blame iTunes because that is one terrible piece of software when used on a PC.
    Yep. All the more reason to avoid it altogether.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

iTunes does not slow my Mac down.

Heck I just got a second 80 gig classic. Just so's I can load it up with electronic music.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    iTunes does not slow my Mac down.
    That's the point, it's different on PC and is a real bloated buggy piece o'crap. The only reason I use it is for the tablet and phone.

I saw a Seagate one today that was smaller than the portable CD players I've carried around in my pocket at times. Definitely not bigger than some of the big smart phones in use lately.

But the power supply would be a problem.
    Seagate is pretty good for storage drives. Don't know which one you looked at, but I just upgraded with one of these.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...d/backup-plus/

Unlike the older one I was replacing (from '07 or so), this doesn't need its own outlet for a separate power source. It just plugs into the PC with a short USB cord. That's probably becoming the standard these days if it isn't already.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a 1TB Seagate portable hard-drive that doesn't need a power supply. Pretty small & very nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

The Pono player is now available for sale. https://ponomusic.force.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Seagate is pretty good for storage drives. Don't know which one you looked at, but I just upgraded with one of these.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...d/backup-plus/

Unlike the older one I was replacing (from '07 or so), this doesn't need its own outlet for a separate power source. It just plugs into the PC with a short USB cord. That's probably becoming the standard these days if it isn't already.
    I'm looking for one of these today. Is there any more you can say about it, any problems. I've got music and alittle video, 500gb will hold me for quite some time. The price point is excellent.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I'm looking for one of these today. Is there any more you can say about it, any problems. I've got music and alittle video, 500gb will hold me for quite some time. The price point is excellent.
    These seem to be the go-to drives lately. They are almost always available at Costco. In fact, I know a few people who bought some Seagate 1.5 terabyte drives at Costco this past month during a sale. They were $69.99

I use one for my Blu Ray player. It has been going for just over a year with no problems at all. As with everything, make sure you back it up. And back up that back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    These seem to be the go-to drives lately. They are almost always available at Costco. In fact, I know a few people who bought some Seagate 1.5 terabyte drives at Costco this past month during a sale. They were $69.99

I use one for my Blu Ray player. It has been going for just over a year with no problems at all. As with everything, make sure you back it up. And back up that back up.
    Cool, thanks Gruno, I'm on this today.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm still amazed at how long it's taking to get to the point where our phones can have a huge amount of flash memory. Say, at least 500 GB but ideally a Terrabyte or more. Or a small portable drive with this much flash memory. Why are any of us still dicking around with hard drives? Come on, Asia - get cracking!

I'm still amazed at how long it's taking to get to the point where our phones can have a huge amount of flash memory. Say, at least 500 GB but ideally a Terrabyte or more. Or a small portable drive with this much flash memory. Why are any of us still dicking around with hard drives? Come on, Asia - get cracking!
    I blame the C L O U D

Yes, indeed....it's the cloud.

I want to make a hole in the cloud, insert my willy, and have my way with it.

Living in a small country in the EU the cloud is just not any good. As soon as you go beyond the borderline roaming charges will drain you bank account. The first 20mb are the cheap ones: 6 dollars!!! And after that gets even worse.... So after two songs from the cloud you have used 6 dollars. Anymore songs and it'll soon be 100 dollars.....
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

I don't think it's because it's not possible - I read about 500gb chips a few years back; it's whether or not companies like Apple think there's enough of a market for high storage capacity devices to make one available. Me? I'd pay for iPhones and/or iPads wirh 500Gb-1Tb flash drives. I just don't know how many others would.

Right now I'm pleased as punch with my 128Gb iPhone 6 & iPad Air...
    Last edited by jkelman; 04-05-2015 at 10:19 AM.