Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: iPod Classic, R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Our music collections probably just confuse them and skew their data. I can just imagine some analytic program blowing up trying to figure out wtf a Porcupine Tree is.
    "Sir, there's a troubling amount of people who say we will know them by the trail of dead."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Sorry - I'm not trying to come across as if I'm berating anyone - I'm sure it looks that way in text. I just don't understand the concerns here. I'm sure people have valid reasons. I'm just trying to learn what they are. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because this kind of stuff would never even occur to me.
    It's a reality I live with, but didn't grow up with. But I don't like the feeling of being "tracked".

I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but I don't particularly care for the fact that you essentially agree for corporations to track and use your data how they wish. I realize that on a macro level you are just "data" that is not really individualized. But I generally prefer to deal with companies that respect your privacy.

But it is a fact of every day life. Your TV watching and DVR activity is tracked. Your online activity is tracked. Most of your online purchase and transaction data is shared with someone. Your texts and emails can be stored indefinitely. And your phone activity can be accessed as well.

And some of your information can be used against you in ways not intended. Put aside things like criminal and other legal activity.

I'm not an "activist" in this regard by any means. I accept it as a lover of technology that I'm begrudgingly giving up parts of my rights to privacy. But sometimes I admittedly get a feeling of comfort when I would, say, buy a bottle of Scotch at the liquor store...with cash. "No one needs to know" and I like it that way.

I imagine those under 30 can't really relate to that as they've been 'tracked' all their lives.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

BTW, I store all my MP3s on a hard drive with a hard drive backup and a DVD-R backup.

We have an iPod Touch from 2008 and a pair of iPhones. I use my iPhone all the time in the car. I have about 17gb of music on there now. I swap out music every few months and it's totally manageable for me.

For those who do not sync your Apple devices, do yourself a favor and do it every 3 months at least. It's the best way to recover your data should something happen to your phone (many people I know lost their contacts last year after some F'd up Facebook app update - for example). It's also the safest way to update your OS (as opposed to Wi-Fi). And synching allows you to easily add/remove music through the iTunes interface.

When I get an updated phone (may get a 6 plus) I'll get more storage for music.

By writing this, I just remembered I'm due to sync up my devices and will this weekend.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's a reality I live with, but didn't grow up with. But I don't like the feeling of being "tracked".

I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but I don't particularly care for the fact that you essentially agree for corporations to track and use your data how they wish. I realize that on a macro level you are just "data" that is not really individualized. But I generally prefer to deal with companies that respect your privacy.

But it is a fact of every day life. Your TV watching and DVR activity is tracked. Your online activity is tracked. Most of your online purchase and transaction data is shared with someone. Your texts and emails can be stored indefinitely. And your phone activity can be accessed as well.

And some of your information can be used against you in ways not intended. Put aside things like criminal and other legal activity.

I'm not an "activist" in this regard by any means. I accept it as a lover of technology that I'm begrudgingly giving up parts of my rights to privacy. But sometimes I admittedly get a feeling of comfort when I would, say, buy a bottle of Scotch at the liquor store...with cash. "No one needs to know" and I like it that way.

I imagine those under 30 can't really relate to that as they've been 'tracked' all their lives.
    Right. I totally understand that. But that goes out the window as soon as you open an iTunes account.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm would be very impressed if anyone could tell the difference between a lossless audio format and AAC 256kbit (Itunes Plus) encoding through an Ipod. What are the circumstances and equipment for that?
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

But why would you feel this way? You're not "storing" it in the cloud, you're "copying" it to the cloud. You still have your original files.

And if you get hacked.....so what? You don't lose anything. It's not like they're nude photos or private financial info or anything that could come back to hurt you. You lost copies of music files.

Didn't realize that they even existed in that large of a size.

Again, why is this an issue? "Oh no! Apple knows what music I listen to!" Yeah....and...?

Sorry - I'm not trying to come across as if I'm berating anyone - I'm sure it looks that way in text. I just don't understand the concerns here. I'm sure people have valid reasons. I'm just trying to learn what they are. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, because this kind of stuff would never even occur to me.
    I think it sucks that you become entangled with some giant corporation and end up relying on them. I'm sure I'm in the minority, the general population will eventually be lulled into complying, and I'll be one of the Luddite hold-outs living in a cabin in the woods with my CD player, lol.

What if I decide I don't want to be required to be connected to the Internet some day? What if I get tired of all the horseshit of outrageously priced cell service or Internet when I'm retired....finally having time to listen to a bunch of music, but living on Social Security and barely having enough money for some Ramen noodles or whatever? What if my computer dies and I can't afford to get another one and get back online? And it's not that as individuals we'd be hacked, it's if the cloud gets hacked and somehow I can't get my music because all record of my having owned it gets erased (like if I completely switched to buying from the iTunes Store or whatever)?

Maybe it's all just paranoia, but I can identify with those that just want to retain control of their data locally. It's not a privacy thing (for me) at all. It's the fact that I'm relying on the continued benevolence of someone with a profit motive.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I'm would be very impressed if anyone could tell the difference between a lossless audio format and AAC 256kbit (Itunes Plus) encoding through an Ipod. What are the circumstances and equipment for that?
    You can definitely tell with an ipod hooked up to a decent stereo system. I can tell with moderately-priced headphones, too, if I'm familiar with the recording in question. But a new album I've never heard before? I doubt I could tell with a high degree of accuracy, and I doubt that many other people could, either.

For me, though, it's not about whether you can tell or not. It's about how small the difference is, even when you can completely tell them apart. 256 files do sound pretty good, and they enable you to carry a ton of music around with you.

Didn't realize that they even existed in that large of a size.
    Don't know how reliable this info is, but here ya go:

source

If You want to buy an SDXC 2tb you will have to wait a bit as they are not here yet. The sizes of currently awailable SDXC amd micro SDXC cards varie from 64GB to 256GB and microSDXC are usualy atleast one speed slower and about 50% more expensive than full sized SD memory cards. It also easo to understand why as micro sd xc are harder and more expensive to make fo to their smaller size of SDXC 2 tb card. When the maximum size of 2tb SDXC will be reached a new standart for this type of flash memory will be agreed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    What if I decide I don't want to be required to be connected to the Internet some day? What if I get tired of all the horseshit of outrageously priced cell service or Internet when I'm retired....finally having time to listen to a bunch of music, but living on Social Security and barely having enough money for some Ramen noodles or whatever? What if my computer dies and I can't afford to get another one and get back online? And it's not that as individuals we'd be hacked, it's if the cloud gets hacked and somehow I can't get my music because all record of my having owned it gets erased (like if I completely switched to buying from the iTunes Store or whatever)?
    What if your CD player dies and you can't afford to buy another one to listen to your CDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You can definitely tell with an ipod hooked up to a decent stereo system. I can tell with moderately-priced headphones, too, if I'm familiar with the recording in question. But a new album I've never heard before? I doubt I could tell with a high degree of accuracy, and I doubt that many other people could, either.

For me, though, it's not about whether you can tell or not. It's about how small the difference is, even when you can completely tell them apart. 256 files do sound pretty good, and they enable you to carry a ton of music around with you.
    That is my experience as well. I can't tell the difference in the car either, too much road noise and the stereo image is all wrong. But on the big system in my living room, MP3s sound...lacking. I listened to a bit of a Bill Evans recording on MP3 and then switched to a vinyl version. Oh mercy, it was just a night and day difference.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The phone + music player combo has always been the genius solution for me. I even got one of the early Motorola MP3-phones back in 2004 so I could listen to music and answering phonecalls using the same device. Nowadays I'm totally dependent on smartphones with internet access everywhere I go - not to listen to music or any streaming at all but the need to check things up on the internet. When does the next bus leave, where's the nearest drugstore, when does the library close, looking something up on wikipedia, using Google Map as a GPS device in the car etc.

I don't need the conveniance of carrying my entire record collection on me, but I do need the conveniance of NOT having two devices in my pocket, a phone and a music player.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Eh, I've never been big on iPods anyway. I listen to all of my music on CD, even in the car. The only time I use my iPod is on long trips and I've always been disappointed by the sound quality.

I think it sucks that you become entangled with some giant corporation and end up relying on them. I'm sure I'm in the minority, the general population will eventually be lulled into complying, and I'll be one of the Luddite hold-outs living in a cabin in the woods with my CD player, lol.

Maybe it's all just paranoia, but I can identify with those that just want to retain control of their data locally. It's not a privacy thing (for me) at all. It's the fact that I'm relying on the continued benevolence of someone with a profit motive.
    But that day's never going to happen. Who are you kidding? Like the rest of us, you're in it for life.

I've been slow to accept some technologies (ie: I still don't have a Facebook account) but I've never gone back once I've embraced one. These days I'm into digital downloads because I just don't have the space to keep adding to my CD collection. I've held on to my original CDs but 90% of the music I listen to is a digital download purchased in the last 2 years, which has not been backed up to anything that wouldn't require a computer to listen to it (ie: no DVD-R copies made). I'll worry about the future in the future. I'm not static by nature so I'll go with whatever flow there will be. I may even reach an age where(gasp!) music just isn't important enough to me (esp. the quirky prog of my youth!) that I'm really concerned about not owning all the music I did as a youth. The older I get, the more I enjoy silence. I do not bring my iPod with me on extended bike rides, nor do I bring it when taking nature walks. I have swapped it for my DSLR camera and I need to hear the birds I want to photograph. I'd rather hear the wind in the trees or the babbling of a brook than CTTE for the millionth time. So music has now become something that I rarely spend more than 8 hours a week listening to. My commute to work(via public transport) involves reading a lot more than music, and I cannot do both at the same time.

Life is about letting go, man... not holding on...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Don't know how reliable this info is, but here ya go:

source

What if your CD player dies and you can't afford to buy another one to listen to your CDs?

I'll get one at a garage sale for cheap $$$. And I won't have to worry that, due to it's age, it will be instantly hacked when logging onto Internet for lack of security updates.
    <sig out of order>

I don't need the conveniance of carrying my entire record collection on me, but I do need the conveniance of NOT having two devices in my pocket, a phone and a music player.
    I don't mind having a device for music and one for a phone. I use the iPod in my car, mainly, so it remains there or in the house. A cell phone has never left my side since 1995. I don't have any music on my iPhone; I don't need to waste the battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    But that day's never going to happen. Who are you kidding? Like the rest of us, you're in it for life.

I've been slow to accept some technologies (ie: I still don't have a Facebook account) but I've never gone back once I've embraced one. These days I'm into digital downloads because I just don't have the space to keep adding to my CD collection. I've held on to my original CDs but 90% of the music I listen to is a digital download purchased in the last 2 years, which has not been backed up to anything that wouldn't require a computer to listen to it (ie: no DVD-R copies made). I'll worry about the future in the future. I'm not static by nature so I'll go with whatever flow there will be. I may even reach an age where(gasp!) music just isn't important enough to me (esp. the quirky prog of my youth!) that I'm really concerned about not owning all the music I did as a youth. The older I get, the more I enjoy silence. I do not bring my iPod with me on extended bike rides, nor do I bring it when taking nature walks. I have swapped it for my DSLR camera and I need to hear the birds I want to photograph. I'd rather hear the wind in the trees or the babbling of a brook than CTTE for the millionth time. So music has now become something that I rarely spend more than 8 hours a week listening to. My commute to work(via public transport) involves reading a lot more than music, and I cannot do both at the same time.

Life is about letting go, man... not holding on...
    Truth be told - I am much closer to this way of looking at things than I probably sounded. And I agree about listening to nature. A friend of mine was telling me about a great set of mobile speakers for the iPhone that has a solar charger and said he listens to tunes while he hikes. I'd rather have natural sounds when I do that.

It's the sense of giving up control to some corporation that's harder for me to deal with....greedy bastards!
    <sig out of order>

Just checked Best Buy website.....all silver models sold out. Black models only available at stores...no longer available at website.

Going....going....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I listen to all of my music on CD, even in the car. The only time I use my iPod is on long trips and I've always been disappointed by the sound quality.
    I used to listen to CDs in the car too. Then Ford (I'm on my third Escape) stopped putting in players that held multiple CDs. I can't stand just having one CD in the player. I don't want to listen on repeat and I can't change it while cruising on the highway. So I had to move to my iPod while driving. Now the only time I put a CD in the car is when it's new and I haven't had a chance to load it onto my iPod.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead
    Just checked Best Buy website.....all silver models sold out. Black models only available at stores...no longer available at website.

Going....going....
    There were no Classics available at Best Buy or Future Shop (Canadian store owned by Best Buy) in Canada on the day this thread started. I checked. Sold out from day one.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 09-12-2014 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I used to listen to CDs in the car too. Then Ford (I'm on my third Escape) stopped putting in players that held multiple CDs. I can't stand just having one CD in the player. I don't want to listen on repeat and I can't change it while cruising on the highway. So I had to move to my iPod while driving. Now the only time I put a CD in the car is when it's new and I haven't had a chance to load it onto my iPod.
    I get that, that's why I use my iPod on long trips, but my daily commute equals 44 minutes, so I can usually listen to a full album.

Okay. They're all valid points, I suppose, but they're more a response to digital downloading, not the use of a cloud service. Again, you still own the music, if you choose to use it that way. Purchase whatever CDs you want and rip them. Best of all worlds.

Seems like a lot more work to fight the technology than it is to actually use it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

First, over the years I have protected my hearing with ear plugs when vacuuming, leaf-blowing, motorcycling, etc. Second, I use good quality Denon headphones and a FiiO E12 headphone amp. I can tell the difference.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    If I hook any of my MP3 players up to my TV or home theater receiver I can easily browse through the folders organized by artist or album name. If I hook up my iPod, I have to poke around and find the files that are randomly shoved into folders called F0 F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 F13 F14 F15 F16 F17 F18 F19 F20 F21 F22 F23 F24 F25 F26 F27 F28 F29 F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F35 F36 F37 F38 F39 F40 F41 F42 F43 F44 F45 and F46 and hope to find what I want.
    You just don't like that because you're not the creative "Apple" type of person. LOL.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 09-12-2014 at 09:54 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I know its an ocean in which we all now swim, but having my stuff in the cloud, its not the hackers so much that bother me (except when it comes to financial info, etc.) but the fact that I know my habits are being dissected and analyzed, anticipated and manipulated by Apple, or whomever they sell the info on to. It's probably a pointless paranoia, and doubtless iTunes reports all this back to them anyway, but still the idea of it doesn't sit easy in my mind.
    The cool thing is that the voyeurs will see you listen to prog and they will either put you on ignore, or at a lower likelihood increase the priority of prog in the musical universe.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Eh, I've never been big on iPods anyway. I listen to all of my music on CD, even in the car. The only time I use my iPod is on long trips and I've always been disappointed by the sound quality.
    I always feel a bit embarrassed when I take my portable CD player out on the train.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Apple has discontinued the iPod Classic, effectively saying "fuck you" to music lovers.

I am getting sick I am so mad...
    Don't own one Apple product here.

I use my iPod at work. Perfect. Sorry to see it go. But wait, Apple unveiled another boring phone and a stupid watch. How exciting.