Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: WTF covers

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    A truly hideous bit of (as Ben Minnotte calls it) Carlos-sploitation, courtesy of the Partridge Family's ghost keyboardist, Mike Melvoin:

I think there were a lot of Carlos-sploitation albums at that time. Not sure if one would consider Tomita Carlos-sploitation, but he defenitly worked in the same territory.

And later we got all those synthesizer-albums by anynomous players, greatest synthesizer hits, often with music not originally done on synthesizers, but also with covers synthesizerplayers like Vangelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think there were a lot of Carlos-sploitation albums at that time. Not sure if one would consider Tomita Carlos-sploitation, but he defenitly worked in the same territory.
    That feels like a bit more of a passing of the torch. Wendy Carlos abandoned the Switched On series with Sonic Seasonings (to less commercial success but to artistic triumph, as I thought her later albums were a lot more interesting). Unlike all those cheap cash-in records like the one I posted, Tomita always felt like a lot of care and thought went into his arrangements and song selection (at least until he let the cheese catch up with him and he started throwing the likes of the Star Wars theme and "Hora Staccato" in there. And even on that album we get an Arthur Honegger adaptation!).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

That feels like a bit more of a passing of the torch. Wendy Carlos abandoned the Switched On series with Sonic Seasonings (to less commercial success but to artistic triumph, as I thought her later albums were a lot more interesting). Unlike all those cheap cash-in records like the one I posted, Tomita always felt like a lot of care and thought went into his arrangements and song selection (at least until he let the cheese catch up with him and he started throwing the likes of the Star Wars theme and "Hora Staccato" in there. And even on that album we get an Arthur Honegger adaptation!).
    Well, Tomita is defenitly one of the better ones going in the tracks of Wendy Carlos.

Carlos-sploitation
    I'd much prefer Carlos-Santanazation to this stuff honestly. :P
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I'd much prefer Carlos-Santanazation to this stuff honestly. :P
    No thanks. Let Carlos Santana do his own stuff and hold back on the guestvocalists which gives his stuff the impression he is just a guest on someone elses song.

Just discovered this. Vicky Leandros covering The Moody Blues

A truly hideous bit of (as Ben Minnotte calls it) Carlos-sploitation, courtesy of the Partridge Family's ghost keyboardist, Mike Melvoin:

Actually if you told me that was a previously unreleased bonus track from Rick Wakeman's 'Rhapsodies' sessions I'd probably believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Just discovered this. Vicky Leandros covering The Moody Blues
    It's not even the only Moody Blues song she did:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...