Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gong You 40 years ago today

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    If ever there were a perfect album for Steven Wilson's 5.1 Surround Sound magic it is Gong-You.
    Sure, it would be nice.
    But in the "Love From The Planet Gong" (Virgin 1973-75 years) boxset there's a remastered version of You and also the original 1974 quad mix on DVD (both by Simon Heyworth)

Many bands at some point in their career (half to 2/3rd) are reaching what I would call the "Perfect Balance" and never made it again (DSOTM, BSS, CTTE,...)
    For Gong this "Perfect Balance" (between space-rock, psychedelic rock, jazz-rock, D.A's strangeness and crazyness, production and musicianship) was reached with YOU.
    They never managed to surpasss it later: Perfect balance, Perfect Record and a true classic now.
    Bought the LP in 1974 (still have it), loved it at first play, and still love it 40 years later. I wouldn't trade it for the complete Ozric Tentacles discography.

Shamal is beautifully recorded but let down by the lyrics. You is superb, as is Fish Rising (although the recording quality on Hillage’s album could be better). But for a combination of riffs, recording quality and clever yet funny lyrics there is no beating Angel’s Egg.

This album would be on my list of Desert Island discs and I spend ages pondering (were I ever invited on the programme ) which song I would have as my clip. Bearing in mind that any song on Desert Island Discs only gets played for about two minutes, that is not an easy task. It would have to be a track that is representative of Gong’s sound, but two minutes would rule out A Sprinkling of Clouds, The Isle of Everywhere, Other Side of the Sky, Flying Teapot and Zero the Hero as they are only getting started at that point.

I think I would choose Outer/Inner Temple off Angel’s Egg and hope to get as far as the great bass riff and Bloomdido’s sax on Inner Temple before the fade. I would hope, too, that the invitation to a cup of tea from the Hubba Dubba tea company’s representative would have the nation’s listeners scratching their heads and WTF-ing.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease (P. Blegvad)

You was my first Gong album - bought it at the time of the initial launch of Virgin imports (Cow/Hatfield/Wyatt/etc.) and wasn't sure what to make of it at first. The musicianship was astounding but I wondered if I could get past all the Octave Doctors / Pothead Pixies business. Before long I was won over (with the help of friends who professed their affection for it).
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    You turns 50 years today! Shamal is my favourite of all Gong's albums, but You is a good runner-up. Here's my extended review of the album: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-gong-you-1974/
    There's a paragraph there which you apparently missed translating from Finnish. Here it is in English (per Google Translate):

Allen himself grew tired of the power struggles within Gong for good a few months after Moerlen's departure. There simply seemed to be no more room for his views in the group. On the other hand, without bitterness and a bit philosophically, Allen also said that Hillage, whom he considered an apprentice in a way, had now become ready to continue his work as Gong's pilot.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

I was already familiar with the first two in the Trilogy when this one hit the import shelves (U.S. release came later). Since they didn't sound like any other band I'd ever heard, "You" just seemed like a natural extension/progression of the first two. I've come to love every track on all 3 albums. Heard the earlier albums ("Magick Brother" and "Camembert") for the first time soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    There's a paragraph there which you apparently missed translating from Finnish. Here it is in English (per Google Translate):
    Oops! Thank you for informing me! That is now fixed.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post

I think I would choose Outer/Inner Temple off Angel’s Egg and hope to get as far as the great bass riff and Bloomdido’s sax on Inner Temple before the fade. I would hope, too, that the invitation to a cup of tea from the Hubba Dubba tea company’s representative would have the nation’s listeners scratching their heads and WTF-ing.
    I would just blast them with Eat That Phone Book (Coda). They would inevitably be very appreciative and then undertake a voyage of Gong discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I would just blast them with Eat That Phone Book (Coda). They would inevitably be very appreciative and then undertake a voyage of Gong discovery
    Reading this post, & Munster's, is the first time I've ever wanted the dreadful Sue Lawley to be back in the DID chair - just to hear the distaste in her voice after the music finished!

(I harbour a secret suspicion that Kirsty Young is a Gonghead.)