Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ten Hits You May Not Know Were Cover Versions

Windy by The Association was originally from Ruthann Friedman.

Hard-luck singer Evie Sands recorded the original version of “Angel of the Morning,” turned into a big hit by Merrilee Rush and later Juice Newton. Sands later had a (minor) hit of her own with “I Love Making Love to You.”

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Windy by The Association was originally from Ruthann Friedman.

Yeah, but she wrote as a waltz, which probably would not have produced a number 1 hit in America, in 1967. It was retooled for the Association and thus its popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    What About Love by Heart was a song that had been recorded just a year before by a Canadian rock group from Toronto, called Toronto which also featured two female singers. It was written by two of the band's members, Sheron Alton and Brian Allen, plus additional lyrics by famed Canadian producer/song writer Jim Vallance (who played drums on the recording). It was never released by the band however because the other band members vetoed it citing it was for pussies. The band did release it years later on a 'best of' compilation called. Songs You've Never Heard (and One We Were Too Stupid To Release)

I didn't realize Toronto had actually recorded What About Love. I always had the understanding Sheron Alton left Toronto because they refused to record more of her songs, and this was one of the ones that got rejected. It's funny to me, because I always thought of Toronto as the "Canadian Heart", with a female singer with dark hair, a female guitarist with blonde hair, and four guys making up the rest of the band. And I still say Your Mama Don't Know sounds like Jessie's Girl.