Thread: Halloween music

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Halloween music

On my list:
    Zero Kama-The Secret Eye of LAYLAH
    Hexentanz-Nekrocrafte
    Various-The Archangels of the Sex Rule Destruction of the Regime
    Ava Inferi-Onyx (especially "Ghostlights")
    Stalaggh-Projekt Misanthropia
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I like George Crumb's "Black Angels" which was written for string quartet. I like the Concord String Quartet's version more than Kronos Quartet because the Concord's version is more to the root of how the piece was originally interpreted. What I also consider to be fine "Halloween Music" is Pauline Anna Strom's "Spectre" which is Electronic music revolving around the subject of vampires and ghosts. Three pieces are written around a theme for vampires and the other 4 based on the astral flight of ghosts. Released in the mid 80's, this is a timeless work that is bewitching on Halloween night.

I often play selective sections/pieces from Biosphere's "Insomnia". Other choices I have are...La Faulx by Univers Zero...which was narrowed down to being babble , yet creates the vibe of a Satanic cult ritual. Patricia Dallio "Barbe Bleue is a very dark and impressionable work. I like "Archives II', "Nosferatu" and "Le Mariage du Ciel et de I'Enfer by Art Zoyd. Another fine release that contains short instrumental pieces is "Neptune" by Celluloid. This is the album that Chuck Minuto recorded with mellotron when he was a teenager. The sound effects are actual tapes of bizarre recordings that are featured in the mellotron itself. I've spent hours on the phone with Chuck trying to recall what he did with the masters. Truly some of the darkest work I've ever heard. "Winter" by Wendy Carlos can be a very disturbing soundscape. You just have to give it a chance. The sound of howling wolves combined with a woman chanting or moaning creates a supernatural feeling.

Black Mass by Mort Garson has it's moments. Voivode Dracula by Karda Estra is one of my favorites for Halloween night. IIeesha Bailey has the most universal voice. She doesn't try extremely hard to sound eerie. She doesn't have to put a hundred percent into any sound because she's a total natural. One extremely scary flesh-eating piece is "In The Shadow Of The Sun" by Throbbing Gristle. This is a soundtrack to an underground film by Derek Jarman. Not a typical Throbbing Gristle release. The chanting, the moans, and the screams are very distant as they color over a soundscape of a disturbing group of notes that are vamped off a tri-tone interval. Not by far a very musical unit, but painted a picture and brought back memories of scary, sadistic events. Re-producing sounds that one would hear if they were 50 feet from a Satan cult ritual. It's very realistic in that sense.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Nothing to do with Halloween, but it's damned spooky-sounding.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Thilling, Thrilling, Sounds of the Haunted House (Disneyland Records)
    Carmina Burana (Carl Orff)
    Halloween (soundtrack) (John Carpenter)

Horrific Child: L'étrange Mr. Whinster
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Played last Halloween on our local PBS radio station- very creepy Romanian monks chanting.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Nox Arcana: Night Of The Wolf (and plenty others, inspired by the graphic work of Joseph Vargo):