Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Samla / Zamla Thread!

Oh, my brother.

Reasons would have me stumble upon this simply -ace- live recording of the Samlas doing Oslo in January 1974, presenting some Måltid and more Knapitatet plus odds unheard and improvs. Sound quality complies with NRK standards of the day (Norsk Rikskringkasting/Norwegian Broadcasting Service), seeing as many of the student festival events at the venue in question (Chateau Neuf; adjacent to the university at Blindern) were indeed documented by recording, if certainly not always committed to aether. In addition there's a recording of them doing "Liten Dialektik" from September of that same year.

Did anyone in here even know about this? I personally was never aware of its existence - at all. What a fantastic find!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAV2kGF__xc
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Trivia: in Swedish Samla and Zamla are pronounced exactly the same, 'cause in Swedish there's no phonetic distinction between z and s.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Trivia: in Swedish Samla and Zamla are pronounced exactly the same, 'cause in Swedish there's no phonetic distinction between z and s.
    Didn’t know that. Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Did anyone in here even know about this? I personally was never aware of its existence - at all. What a fantastic find!
    There are a good number of high quality 70s broadcasts by the band.

When I visited Uppsala and Lars in 2001 (?), he played me a little bit of exactly this show, which a record label had sent him in hopes of getting an ok for release.

He asked me what I thought and I said it was great. He then said something like, “well, it’s all a long time in the past and I don’t think anyone really cares….”

When I had approached him a couple of years earlier about the Radio Bremen thing that became 1983, he said much of the same things and said that he wasn’t interested. Then he had me make an offer for what eventually became the reunion studio album Kaka. Several offers; this went on for a few months at least. But he didn’t tell me that he was mostly just interested in my offer for the benefit of showing it to the Swedish label he was already speaking to, and using that to get a better deal from them because of it!!

When I later found out that that’s what was going on, and that he was sort of yanking my chain without being particularly honest about it, I politely pointed out to him that that was pretty bad form. I guess I made him feel a little bit guilty, because a few weeks later he wrote back and said something like, “Well, maybe we can revisit that Von Zamla idea”.

And that’s how our relationship began!
    Last edited by Steve F.; 07-26-2024 at 08:25 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

"the masses have spoken, and this has appropriately vanished into the great Prog boner pile in the sky."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great story Steve
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Great story Steve
    Thanks! It’s 100% true, to the very best of my memory!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The main page of the ReR Megacorp site is listing (as "New Titles") 3 Samla/Zamla CDs.
    https://www.rermegacorp.com/

SAMMLA MAMMAS MANNA
    ZAMLA MAMMAZ MANNA - FamilyCracks
    SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA - Maltid
    (£12.50 each)

Each has the Silence records catalog number from previous issues. None of the CDs are available at the Silence website:
    https://silence.se/en/artist/samla-m...-mammaz-manna/

Maybe this is rediscovered old inventory and not the start of a new reissue series?
    Anyone have more info?

Hi Bill

Those SMM albums never really went away; they have been more or less available on CD in exactly the same version, since they were originally released.

AFAIK, there is no new series or updated versions of them coming; like you speculated, an old, forgotten box probably fell out from on top of the refrigerator…,
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com