Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What Are Your Favorite Prog Instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ C'mon, dude! Jazz is all about the wind instruments.
    I often prefer windinstruments in classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ C'mon, dude! Jazz is all about the wind instruments.
    Not when you ARE a horn player it ain't.
    LOL.

Ricky bass and Moog Taurus pedals.

Odd that there isn't a guitar associated with prog. I guess anything other than a hollow body like a Les Paul... oh wait, Alex Lifeson played that white Gibson on Hemispheres... oh well...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Ricky bass and Moog Taurus pedals.

Odd that there isn't a guitar associated with prog. I guess anything other than a hollow body like a Les Paul... oh wait, Alex Lifeson played that white Gibson on Hemispheres... oh well...
    Vachalia.

Probably a little hijack of the topic, but I find my favorite music (prog or not) is where the bass player sounds amazing, but is solidly in the pocket. I think about Dave Hope with the first 5 Kansas albums, or John Jowitt with IQ and others, or Stefan Fredin with Trettioåriga Kriget. There are hundreds of examples. Prog has to have an interesting bass line, but too much noodling, trying to make bass a lead rather than a rhythm instrument rarely interests me for long.

Rickenbacker Bass. Mellotron. Taurus Pedals. Hammond. 12 String guitars. Moog. BOOM=Progtime!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Les Pauls, typically aren't hollowbody. I think since the mid 90's Gibson has built some hollow (or semi-hollow) Les Paul models, but the ones most of our heroes play, say Steve Hackett or Chuckles Fripp are most definitely solidbody instruments. And the white Gibson Mr. Son Of Life played circa A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres/Permanent Waves is an ES-355.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Rickenbacker Bass. Mellotron. Taurus Pedals. Hammond. 12 String guitars. Moog. BOOM=Progtime!
    Nailed many there! Regarding bass, Rickenbackers in the right hands, that is. Stingrays can be brutally heavy also in the right hands. 12 string electric guitars with humbuckers (not nasal Rickenbacker 12's a la The Byrds). Generally, all kinds of electric guitars fit and are well represented, from Hacket's Les Paul, Zappa's SG, Gilmour's Strat, even Howe's ES 175 to the modern Strandbergs used by Haken...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Les Pauls, typically aren't hollowbody. I think since the mid 90's Gibson has built some hollow (or semi-hollow) Les Paul models, but the ones most of our heroes play, say Steve Hackett or Chuckles Fripp are most definitely solidbody instruments. And the white Gibson Mr. Son Of Life played circa A Farewell To Kings/Hemispheres/Permanent Waves is an ES-355.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    No, the white guitar is an ES-355. Observe:

ebaf6565bd007dcc646545005a213b9d.jpg

Note the block fingerboard inlays, split diamond headstock inlay, Varitone switch, and the Maestro whammy bar system.

Alex used a sunburst ES-335 in the early days of Rush, on the first three or four albums, which was destroyed when a rogue PA horn got knocked over by a gust of wind during an open air show (said PA horn also took out his red Gibson EDS-1275 doubleneck, which he used before he started playing the white one).

He also had an ES-345 which he used occasionally around the time of Hemispheres also.

I knew he had a 335 and a 355, and a Howard Roberts too. I always thought he played the 335 mainly during this time. Apparently he's wrong too

What were the first guitars you used after the band became popular?

"I bought a Gibson ES-335 on our first tour, then got a Les Paul in ’76. Those were my main guitars until the late ’70s. I also had a Strat as a backup and for a different sound. I dropped a Bill Lawrence humbucker in it, and a Floyd Rose vibrato. In ’76, I got another 335 – my white one – which became my main guitar. I love that guitar and still use it on tour and in the studio. It’s a perfect weight, and has real creamy tone."

[QUOTE=chalkpie;992887]I
    knew he had a 335 and a 355, and a Howard Roberts too.
    More accurately, he had a Howard Roberts Fusion, which I believe he started using around the time of Moving Pictures (the model had only just been introduced in 79 or 80, I think), you can see him playing it on some of the songs on the Exit Stage Left video. He eventually put Bill Lawrence pickups and a Kahler whammy bar system in it. He must regretted the latter alteration (a locking whammy bar system?! On a HOLLOWBODY?!) because I eventually saw pictures of that guitar with an ugly metal plate covering the hole and a regular Gibson style bridge and stop tailpiece installed.

I always thought he played the 335 mainly during this time. Apparently he's wrong too

What were the first guitars you used after the band became popular?

"I bought a Gibson ES-335 on our first tour, then got a Les Paul in ’76. Those were my main guitars until the late ’70s. I also had a Strat as a backup and for a different sound. I dropped a Bill Lawrence humbucker in it, and a Floyd Rose vibrato. In ’76, I got another 335 – my white one – which became my main guitar. I love that guitar and still use it on tour and in the studio. It’s a perfect weight, and has real creamy tone."
    Where did you get that quote from? For sure, the white guitar is 355 not a 335. He didn't put the Bill Lawrence pickup and Floyd Rose into the Strat until around the time of Signals or possibly not even until Grace Under Pressure. Circa GUP, he had several Strats that he was using, all of which had the humbucker and Floyd Rose. he also put a Gibson style pickup switch on them, placed on the lower horn. At some point, he also had a custom necks installed on them, which I guess were shaped more like his Gibsons. And he said he didn't use the locking nut. He only started using the locking nut when he swapped to those other guitars he used circa Hold Your Fire, I think they were made by a company called Signature. He said he didn't like it when he play in the open position and he'd feel this cold piece of metal down there, and he didn't like the way it looked either.

How about Gibson double-necks?
    What about them?

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;992913]
    I

More accurately, he had a Howard Roberts Fusion, which I believe he started using around the time of Moving Pictures (the model had only just been introduced in 79 or 80, I think), you can see him playing it on some of the songs on the Exit Stage Left video. He eventually put Bill Lawrence pickups and a Kahler whammy bar system in it. He must regretted the latter alteration (a locking whammy bar system?! On a HOLLOWBODY?!) because I eventually saw pictures of that guitar with an ugly metal plate covering the hole and a regular Gibson style bridge and stop tailpiece installed.

Where did you get that quote from? For sure, the white guitar is 355 not a 335. He didn't put the Bill Lawrence pickup and Floyd Rose into the Strat until around the time of Signals or possibly not even until Grace Under Pressure. Circa GUP, he had several Strats that he was using, all of which had the humbucker and Floyd Rose. he also put a Gibson style pickup switch on them, placed on the lower horn. At some point, he also had a custom necks installed on them, which I guess were shaped more like his Gibsons. And he said he didn't use the locking nut. He only started using the locking nut when he swapped to those other guitars he used circa Hold Your Fire, I think they were made by a company called Signature. He said he didn't like it when he play in the open position and he'd feel this cold piece of metal down there, and he didn't like the way it looked either.

What about them?
    As prog instruments?

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;992913]
    Where did you get that quote from?
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/10992/alex-lifeson-2/
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

And of course, the Rick bass has to be strung with Rotosound strings, played through an Ampeg SVT amp....and played with a pick.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

[QUOTE=Rarebird;992915]
    As prog instruments?
    Why GIbsons over, say, Shergolds, or Rickenbacker/Microfrets hybrids, or factory made Rickenbacker doublenecks?!

[QUOTE=chalkpie;992930]
    Well, that's gotta be a typo about the white 335. The one that became his main guitar for a time is definitely a 355 not a 335. And I've also seen photos and video of him playing an 345.

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;992990]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post

Why GIbsons over, say, Shergolds, or Rickenbacker/Microfrets hybrids, or factory made Rickenbacker doublenecks?!
    Because the Gibson is the one that pops up in my mind. Seen pictures of it with Barclay James Harvest and Hoelderlin.

My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Doudouk