Thread: 10cc-Clever Clogs (CD/DVD)

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

10cc-Clever Clogs (CD/DVD)

For whatever reason, a CD/DVD set of this '08 U.K. show by the modern iteration of this "too clever by half" art-rock band just showed up in the New Releases at Newbury Comics for $12. I've read some great reviews on Amazon.uk, as well as the inevitable "it's just Gouldman and friends, how dare they call this 10cc!" comments. Kevin Godley is on it as a "guest" and I loved Mick Wilson with Three Friends when I saw them at FMPM. Anyone want to weigh in on this set (BTW the CD is only 50 minutes while the DVD is 105 minutes), including what appears to be an new composition co-written by Godley?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    For whatever reason, a CD/DVD set of this '08 U.K. show by the modern iteration of this "too clever by half" art-rock band just showed up in the New Releases at Newbury Comics for $12. I've read some great reviews on Amazon.uk, as well as the inevitable "it's just Gouldman and friends, how dare they call this 10cc!" comments. Kevin Godley is on it as a "guest" and I loved Mick Wilson with Three Friends when I saw them at FMPM. Anyone want to weigh in on this set (BTW the CD is only 50 minutes while the DVD is 105 minutes), including what appears to be an new composition co-written by Godley?
    Yes, it's a song from the short-lived Godley/Gouldman project. I'm not too keen on that song, but the rest of the DVD is wonderful-- The band plays really well, Godley makes a few appearances, and it is true to the 10cc spirit. In addition to the full live show you get a nice, long interview with Gouldman talking about every song. Definitely worth the $12.

I have this. Unlike most 10cc fans, I think they were still great after the first few albums. I was also a big fan of Wax. The version of 10cc that plays on this has been together for quite a few years, and you can tellby this performance. Excellent set! The "new song" with Kevin Godley is actually a very sad song from GG/06, which was available as a download called Beautiful Loser.com. There's also a set of Graham Goulman songs that he wrote well before 10cc were even a group. It's amazing how many '60's hits he wrote! Every song on this disc is performed excellently! The sound on the DVD is great as well. I only wish they would come to Atlanta! But since that won't happen, this is the next best thing. Also, check on the 10cc release "Windows in the Jungle". One of their best, that a lot of people aren't even aware of. What a great group this was,is!!

Personnel and track list please.

For whatever reason, a CD/DVD set of this '08 U.K. show by the modern iteration of this "too clever by half" art-rock band just showed up in the New Releases at Newbury Comics for $12.
    Is this available to buy online at Newbury's? I can't find it on their site. Any help... a link...would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Personnel and track list please.
    Graham Gouldman – vocals, bass, guitar
    Mick Wilson – vocals, percussion, guitar
    Rick Fenn – vocals, guitar, bass guitar
    Paul Burgess – drums
    Mike Stevens – keyboards, saxophone, vocals, guitar, bass guitar
    guest:
    Kevin Godley – vocals, percussion

I now just realised that Mike Stevens is actually THE Mike Stevens who has been Take That's / Gary Barlow's musical director for many many years. He also was musical director / band leader for Jeff Lynne's ELO Hyde Park concert this past summer which had at its core the Take That live band (which includes Lee Pomeroy on bass) and also had Mick Wilson on vocals and percussion.

I say this particular 10CC tour and had a great night and was especially impressed by Mick's performance / multitasking capabilities :-)

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I was also a big fan of Wax.
    This '83 release just showed up in the used bin at Turn It Up! for 5 bucks. Never heard it or of it until today...synchronicity? This is graham and whom?
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 12-22-2014 at 09:09 PM.

This '83 release just showed up in theused bin at Turn It Up! for 5 bucks. Never heard it or of it until today...synchronicity? This is graham and whom?
    Andrew Gold. I remember “Right Between the Eyes” and “Bridge to Your Heart” getting MTV rotation back in the day. I believe G&C were responsible for the [animated] video to the latter.

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Track list for the DVD:

1. The Wall Street Shuffle
    2. The Things We do For Love
    3. Good Morning Judge
    4. I'm Mandy, Fly Me
    5. Life is a Minestrone
    6. Art For Art's Sake

7. Bus Stop
    8. No Milk Today
    9. Look Through Any Window
    10. For Your Love

11. Old Wild Men
    12. BeautifulLoser.com
    13. Silly Love
    14. Donna
    15. The Dean Abd I
    16. Bridge to Your Heart
    17. I'm Not in Love
    18. Dreadlock Holiday
    19. Ready to Go Home
    20. Rubber Bullets

According to the back cover, this concert was Kevin Godley's first live performance in 30 years. As for Wax, it did consist of Graham Gouldman and Andrew Gold. Many people don't know that Andrew Gold was a member of 10cc for a short time. He was on Ten Out of 10. Wax released 3 albums: Magnetic Heaven, American English, and A Hundred Thousand in Fresh Notes. All 3 were very good. Don't expect 10cc, but they did have a lot in common.

Andrew Gold was a certified musical genius and multi-threat instrumentalist. I had no idea he had any connection to 10cc...
    he was a California guy, i think. so i'm quite surprised to hear that.

fitting though... they're all monstrously talented
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I There's also a set of Graham Goulman songs that he wrote well before 10cc were even a group.
    That to me is one of the most enjoyable parts of the DVD. But it seems that he's since stopped doing those songs and has been doing strictly 10cc material.

Watched about 3/4 of the DVD last night, smiling (as was the band) the entire time. Who knew (well, not me anyway) that Graham wrote all those '60s hits (though there was one recorded by Herman's Hermits that is wholly unfamiliar to me, "No Milk Today"...not sure that was a hit on these shores!) BTW, this is a new ('14) package, in a nice digipack with 90 minutes of bonus material I've yet to check out but includes Graham talking about writing the songs); there's a 5.1 mix for those interested in such things. Both audio and visuals are first-rate. So glad I picked this up (correction: it was $15 at newbury).

Watched about 3/4 of the DVD last night, smiling (as was the band) the entire time. Who knew (well, not me anyway) that Graham wrote all those '60s hits (though there was one recorded by Herman's Hermits that is wholly unfamiliar to me, "No Milk Today"...not sure that was a hit on these shores!) .
    A smaller hit, on a double A-side with "There's a Kind of Hush".

A big Mary Crimble to you and the Mrs!

And to you and yours Brett!

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Andrew Gold was a certified musical genius and multi-threat instrumentalist. I had no idea he had any connection to 10cc...
    he was a California guy, i think. so i'm quite surprised to hear that.
    Mercury wasn’t optimistic about Ten out of 10’s chances to produce a hit, so they sent them back in the studio with Andrew Gold to record a passel of new songs which replaced some of the ones from the original British release. One of those tunes was “Run Away,” a sort of “I’m Not in Love” soundalike tune which was released as a non-LP single in the UK. It became their last charting single:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

10cc basically had no real hits of substance after 'Dreadlock Holiday'. What I've heard from them after that time doesn't do it for me either. I think 'Dreadlock Holiday' was a bit of a novelty record, I've never much cared for it.

With Wax I only know 'Bridge To Your Heart' which I've never liked. I like both Gouldman and Gold though. I know 'Ready To Go Home' from the Asia album 'Aura'. This was from the John Payne era...I find it a surprisingly good album and this is a very good song. There's a 2-cd compilation called 'Greatest Hits And More' which has all these songs mentioned here (from 10cc, Godley and Crème, Wax, Hotlegs, Gouldman's solo versions of his 60s songs, 'Ready To Go Home') which is perfect on paper, but I'm really not pleased about the way it sounds. A shame.

RE; 'No Milk Today'. The singles in the US and UK of Herman's Hermits often bore little relation to each other- 'I'm Henry The VIII I Am' and 'Mrs Brown...' weren't put out as singles here, mercifully. 'No Milk Today' was one of their biggest hits here and one of the best songs they did. 'East West' was another that Gouldman wrote for them.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.

"No Milk Today" - one of the first 45's I ever bought. Probably still sitting in my parent's stereo..... (I thought it was the B side)