Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toto- any fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Toto was the band for most of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album as well.
    For the record, all the original members of Toto (apart from Bobby Kimball) were studio musicians. That's how they met and I think how the band ended up coming together in the first place. One of the reasons that so many of the records that came out of LA during the early 80's sort of sounded kinda similar was because they typically had some combination of Lukather, Paich and at least one or two Porcaros playing on them. They and a handful of other musicians were the "A Team", basically the late 70's and 80's version of The Wrecking Crew.

I remember talking to someone about that song She's A Beauty by The Tubes, and I made a comment about how surprised I was to find out it's Lukather playing the guitar solo (surprised because I know both Bill Spooner and Roger Steen were more than capable guitarists). The guy I was talking to said, "Yeah, that entire record was basically Toto pretending to be The Tubes". Now that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but that wasn't all that uncommon. I know for instance, Lukather also played on one song on Cheap Trick's Dream Police album. Lukather has a list of all the records he played on, on his website. Let's just say he's just as prolific as, let's say Tony Levin, for instance.

As for how many Porcaros there are. Well, Jeff of course is no longer with us, but there's also Steve (keyboards) and Mike (bassist). Mike actually joined the band later on, their original bassist was David Hungate. And for their record, their father, Joe Porcaro was also a percussionist, who was part of the Wrecking Crew and taught at the Musician's Institute, I believe.

Oh, and I've over the years read a few interviews with Lukather. He's a really funny guy. Foul mouthed guy, too, but extremely hilarious and brutally honest about his opinion today's pop music. My favorite line was in a piece he did around 2000 where he was talking about how eventually the metal guys were going to have their guitars tuned so low that it'd make you crap your pants. Another time, commenting on the autotune and quantizing software that was becoming common place in both pop and rock music, he said "Nobody sings that perfectly in tune, and nobody plays that perfectly in time, either". In one piece, he was asked what the studio scene in LA was like these days, and he said "What scene?! There's is no studio scene anymore, you come in, play four bars of music, they loop it and that's it! The session is over in 10 minutes!".

Another time, he was asked what his rig was like these days, and he said he dumped the giant effects rack rig he used in the 80's, because one day he plugged it into one of those multi-effects units, which had the various effects presets named after the various guitarists whose tones each preset was meant to emulate. And of course, there was one named after him, and it was this heavily effected sound with a lot of flanger, delay and reverb, and that was the first time he realized how "over processed" his guitar tone was. So he cut his rig back to just a few basic things as a result. The way he made it sound, he hadn't realized his guitar tone sounded like that, until he heard it on this one device, and realized it he had "gone too far" with the effects.

OH and as a side note about Jeff Porcaro playing with Steely Dan, but Lukather and STeve Porcaro went to high school together, and I guess were already playing in bands then. The story goes that when Jeff was playing with Steely Dan, he'd pass tapes of the new songs to Steve, and their band would then learn the songs. I think Lukather said that it was the Katy Lied album where they already knew the entire album front to back before it had even been released.

TOTO = quality.

Looking forward to this release. I too really liked FiB. Check out the DVD "Live in Amsterdam". They really stretch out and the song selection is great. Not just a greatest hits show. I thought that concert showed them at their best. I liked them from the time Hold the Line came out and bought that album immediately. To me though, they did release a lot of cringe worthy material so when FiB came out, it was nice to hear them head down another path.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I only own a box with their first 7 albums and a DVD.

Excellent interview with Lukather, reviewing the history of the band, for anyone interested.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ha, Africa was just playing on the radio in a taxi, so it's stuck in my head even though I don't like it.

They're no Poco or Yoso.

Toto are always great live. I've caught a dozen or so shows through the years, as my friend used to do sound for them.

My favorite from Toto is Tambu, with these:

• Gift Of Faith
    • Baby He's Your Man
    • I Will Remember
    • The Turning Point
    • Dave's Gone Skiing

Besides seeing Toto live, I spent a lot of nights at The Baked Potato watching Lukather & friends perform. I was also fortunate to catch some Los Lobotomys shows in the mid-late 90s. The Candyman CD is a must with the song "Hero With A 1,000 Eyes". There's always a party going on in Simon's pants, right? It's unfortunate that David Garfield and Lukather had a huge falling out. Those guys were like brothers with each other. Check out Los Lobotomys if you enjoy Toto.

Weren’t Toto kind of like the “Wrecking Crew” of the L.A. music scene in the late 70’s and 80’s? The individual members appeared on dozens of studio albums by other people as either backup or additional musicians from what I have read.

As I posted in the Yes / Toto thread, I have had mixed feelings about them over the years having liked some of their stuff and hated some of their stuff.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Weren’t Toto kind of like the “Wrecking Crew” of the L.A. music scene in the late 70’s and 80’s? The individual members appeared on dozens of studio albums by other people as either backup or additional musicians from what I have read.

Oops……didn’t see Guitar Geeks earlier post saying basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Besides seeing Toto live, I spent a lot of nights at The Baked Potato watching Lukather & friends perform.
    A few years ago, somebody made me a tape of Luke, Simon Phillips and some other guys playing Mahavishnu Orchestra tunes at The Baked Potato; they slayed! Of course Lukather always seems to stay involved with fusiony side projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I was also fortunate to catch some Los Lobotomys shows in the mid-late 90s. The Candyman CD is a must with the song "Hero With A 1,000 Eyes". There's always a party going on in Simon's pants, right? It's unfortunate that David Garfield and Lukather had a huge falling out. Those guys were like brothers with each other. Check out Los Lobotomys if you enjoy Toto.
    Yeah, "Candyman" is a great album and "Hero With 1,000 Eyes" is a great song! Some of that album sounds like Toto, but with more jamming (which Toto tends to do in their live shows).

I have a Los Lobotomy's show from the Baked Potato which is excellent, and also an album by "The Greg Mathieson Project," which also features Lukather and Jeff Porcaro. I believe it's from around the time of Toto IV, and it sounds like that album instrumental, with more of an interest in fusion than pop. Fantastic album.

That Mahavishnu tape sounds amazing, Ernie!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That Mahavishnu tape sounds amazing, Ernie!
    Of course, I don't know what ever happened to it...

Excellent interview with Lukather, reviewing the history of the band, for anyone interested.
    Thanks for sharing that link, Scott. I just learned a whole bunch about a band I barely knew a thing about before. And holy crap, what a Greek tragedy their story has been! Just one disaster after another, but somehow they kept pulling it back together and kept going. Good for them. Now I'm intrigued to hear more of their music beyond the radio hits.

Another single from the new one...

A pretty extensive track-by-track review of the new album:

http://melodicrock.com/articles/revi...oto-xiv-review

Melodic Rock is useful for some things, but Andrew's reviews are the very definition of biased and non-objective.

I'm glad that he likes it, but that review is just so over-the-top.

I OD:ed on Rosanna and Africa in the 80s & had that album IV, but I thought they were far too cheezy even for an AOR band. But please educate me. Have they done anything hardy or proggier since IV?

Harder? Well, Hydra, which came before IV is somewhat "harder" and darker. Turn Back would also probably qualify, but isn't one of their best, IMO. Kingdom of Desire is probably their most rawk album.

They're not really "proggy" per se, but they have their moments, like the title track to Falling in Between.

Thanks Scott!

Melodic Rock is useful for some things, but Andrew's reviews are the very definition of biased and non-objective.

I'm glad that he likes it, but that review is just so over-the-top.
    Agreed. He has his favorites, and they are rarely seen in a bad light from him. Great site. I hardly check it since the revamp, though.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I OD:ed on Rosanna and Africa in the 80s & had that album IV, but I thought they were far too cheezy even for an AOR band. But please educate me. Have they done anything hardy or proggier since IV?
    Isolation, the follow-up to IV, is probably the hardest thing they'd ever done. It was like they were trying to apologize for the overt adult contemporary pop of IV. I liked it but fans of IV were a bit put if I recall correctly.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [And that Jon Anderson sang backings on this Toto song: ]

Ok. Then why isn't he in the video? I don't really hear him either.
    I think I hear him in the chorus and scatting during the phone call thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    check out “kingdom of desire” and prepare to be somewhat blown away. lukather at his most towering.