Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: A Thread About COFFEE

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So those are legs, and not Juan Valdez's whiskers?
    Regards,

Duncan

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I hope the cockroach juice doesn't dilute the percentage of caffeine, or I'll have to make it even stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I read one of those unusual lists the other day and they said if you drink ground coffee ten percent of the grounds are cock roaches.
    I remember the same thing - except I read it in Mad Magazine about 50 years ago - no kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    The sad thing is that no one yet makes (reasonably) decent coffee pods with recyclable or compostable pods.
    Both Peets and Nespresso themselves will recycle the pods (their own, anyway) for free. You can get a bag from them and, when it's full, drop it off at a UPS store. We've been doing that for a couple of years.

And you are completely right about the convenience. I make one "real" pot in the morning; if I want more when that's gone, I use the Nespresso.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Aren't there reusable pods that you can just refill?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I read one of those unusual lists the other day and they said if you drink ground coffee ten percent of the grounds are cock roaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ If you buy whole beans and grind them, do 10% of them turn into cockroaches?
    I grind my own coffee beans, and if there are cockroaches among them, they are mighty tasty ones which are quite adept at disguise.
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Aren't there reusable pods that you can just refill?
    Yes, but that's VERY inconvenient, messy, a PITA.
    Regards,

Duncan

Funny:

Frog in boiling water

Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I heard about someone who went into Starbucks, and said his name was "Marc, with a C".

The barista gave him his cup with a naughty wink - on which she'd written "Cark"
    Regards,

Duncan

This might cause me to be flogged, beaten, and summarily expelled from this thread:

I've retired my old Breville system. and have gone the Nespresso route

We buy Lavazza or Illy capsules online (whenever they're discounted) - and with a milk frother I can turn out a very decent flat white, latte, or cappuccino in precisely 2 minutes.

The quality is okay (actually good, though perhaps not excellent) for day-to-day use, and you cannot beat the convenience and fast delivery.

Okay, I've braced myself, let the whipping begin
    Regards,

Duncan

I drink coffee only in the morning, cold brew currently. Black. A couple of minutes of prep every other day.
    I suppose it also equals 'coffee on demand' like the capsule systems, without having to fill, wait for heating, descaling, etc.
    But it generates just a couple of cups of grounds that go into the compost, and I still can get cheap of expensive beans depending on my whims.
    Oh, and if I want to complicate things a little more, I can use my Nitro cold brew maker, and have a whippit to toss in the recycling.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

This might cause me to be flogged, beaten, and summarily expelled from this thread:

We buy Lavazza or Illy capsules online (whenever they're discounted) - and with a milk frother I can turn out a very decent flat white, latte, or cappuccino in precisely 2 minutes.

The quality is okay (actually good, though perhaps not excellent) for day-to-day use, and you cannot beat the convenience and fast delivery.

I don't concern myself with the preferred poisons of others, even if I have never heard of most of yours. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll
    I drink coffee only in the morning, cold brew currently. Black. A couple of minutes of prep every other day.
    I suppose it also equals 'coffee on demand' like the capsule systems, without having to fill, wait for heating, descaling, etc.
    But it generates just a couple of cups of grounds that go into the compost, and I still can get cheap of expensive beans depending on my whims.
    Oh, and if I want to complicate things a little more, I can use my Nitro cold brew maker, and have a whippit to toss in the recycling.
    I've tried cold brew but didn't care for it. Not awful. Just not as good as my hot brewed black coffee. Our water here isn't too hard, and I filter it, which seems to make frequent descaling unnecessary. So, what I do for a daily cuppa joe or three isn't difficult for me. I never yet had to toss out one of these:

Frog in boiling water

Ember
    Now that I have time, all I care about is flavor, really. Not convenience, and cost only to a limited degree. I have a very specific target flavor profile; it may not fit anyone else's preferences, but I know it when I taste it. I'm sure many purists would turn their noses up at it. I care not. I achieve it with dark roasts, a burr grinder, and a pour-over setup. I have a set of six 20-oz mugs, and use one every day. All routine and repeatable.

I get my beans via mail order from Craft Coffee. Their "Into the Black" dark roast is $8.50 for 12 oz, shipped. I also really like their "Ruckus Blend," which is $11. But if money is tight, I can get by with Starbucks French Roast, which frequently goes on sale at Costco for around $15 for 2.5 pounds. I pour it into UV-blocking vacuum-seal containers.

If I get a craving later in the evening, I fill it with Irish Breakfast tea.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

I have no problems with Nespresso, we have one (wife and son use it a lot, but I usually only use it in coffee emergencies). But seriously -- Illy? Stuff tastes like boiled hay to me.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ...But seriously -- Illy? Stuff tastes like boiled hay to me.
    It may depend on which blend you get.

We use Lavazza more than Illy, and I have an app that tells me when it's on sale - so I can get the pods around half price.

'Course, you have an advantage over me: I've never tasted boiled hay!

(kidding)
    Regards,

Duncan

Frog in boiling water