Page 63 of 341 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 8509

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Godless. Created, written, and directed by Scott Frank. If you're unfamiliar with his work, as I was, here are some other things he's written: Little Man Tate, Get Shorty, Out of Sight, Minority Report, and The Lookout (a great little neo-noir movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt).

Godless, on Netflix, is a limited series western, a genre that usually has me reaching for the remote. Not because I don't like the genre but because I don't think I could name a dozen good movies that were westerns (I used to tease my dad when I'd say the phrase "good western" is an oxymoron). I say that because I really liked Godless, which is kind of odd because there really isn't very much action in it. But what I did like about it is that the viewer is immersed into this world, getting to know certain characters and getting familiar with the town of La Belle and the region of the west they inhabit. So by the last episode you really like many of the characters.

Also recently read "Fire in the Hole", the short story that was the basis for the FX show Justified. Knowing I had season 1 on DVD and also knowing I had never finished it, I decided to do just that. Nearly finished and I gotta say, goddamn I miss this show. May also have to watch season 2.

Next up is season three of Mr. Robot, the best show that apparently no one is watching.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

Last night I finally watched season 1, episode 1 of Fargo. I can't remember a series with a better debut episode in terms of hooking you in.

I've got a shitload of viewing ahead!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Mine, too, until I saw episode 4 of season 4.
    Not there yet!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Last night I finally watched season 1, episode 1 of Fargo. I can't remember a series with a better debut episode in terms of hooking you in.

I'm about 6 episodes in and totally loving it. Half the stuff that happens is only half explained but you just follow along!

Yeah.

I just got into Fargo the last couple of months.

Have binged the whole 3 seasons since just before Christmas.

Very quirky stuff, but very compelling.

DtB

All 3 seasons of Fargo are great IMO.

And it's all excellent! Fantastic series.

Also digging Black Mirror season 4, I'm halfway through. Also halfway through The Crown season 2 (excellent) and Bad Blood (about Montreal mob boss Vito Rizzuto). Looking forward to finishing these all up and starting in on Victoria season 2!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Fargo is the best newer TV series I have seen in decades. Season 1 is fantastic. But wait until you see Season 2. May be the best season of TV ever. It's more like a long first rate theatrical movie. Fantastic stuff.
    And for someone like me, who grew up in the heart of that area, it makes it all the more poignant and relevant. Any upper Midwesterner will know what I mean.

Where are you guys watching Fargo? I missed that last four episodes of season three don't ya know. Netflix doesn't have it and Amazon wants $$ to see it fer crying out loud.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Anyone know if it's on Amazon Prime? I can check later, but I'm at work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Where are you guys watching Fargo? I missed that last four episodes of season three don't ya know. Netflix doesn't have it and Amazon wants $$ to see it fer crying out loud.
    I watched the first 2 seasons as it was going on FX. I loved the series so much that I bought the first 2 seasons on DVD (actually the 2nd season on BD)( found them very discounted) and have rewatched those. I have only bought a few TV series on disc ever, but these were so good I needed to have them. Plus the discs have extra features/interviews etc. I think the 3rd season just came out on disc, but don't have that yet.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 01-10-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Neflix in Canada has the first 2 seasons of Fargo...

Re The Crown- I find it a hit and miss affair. Season 1 was much stronger I find, but maybe that's because there was more going on historically. It also had Lithgow as Churchill.. I'm wading my way through season 2 and I don't know if I will continue on afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by

Also recently read "Fire in the Hole", the short story that was the basis for the FX show [b
    Justified[/b]. Knowing I had season 1 on DVD and also knowing I had never finished it, I decided to do just that. Nearly finished and I gotta say, goddamn I miss this show. May also have to watch season 2.

Watched all 6 seasons of JUSTIFIED gotta love it!!! full of great characters. Got the heads up on this show from an article about viewers that needed a comedown show after BREAKING BAD, they weren't wrong.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Neflix in Canada has the first 2 seasons of Fargo...

Re The Crown- I find it a hit and miss affair. Season 1 was much stronger I find, but maybe that's because there was more going on historically. It also had Lithgow as Churchill.. I'm wading my way through season 2 and I don't know if I will continue on afterwards...
    I dont have that problem with THE CROWN loved it as much as the series 1. Watched series one of the Indian Detective last night, very Canadian and cheesy in a PINK PANTHER sort of way. Love Russell Peters...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Ah, Justified. So many great characters, tremendous story arcs, and so very very unpredictable. Every time I thought the plot was going to go one way it went down a different path. And the ending was so satisfying. If I recall one PE member was shocked by the violence but hell, what does one expect of a drama based in rural Appalachia about a US Marshall going up against the Dixie Mafia (and Boyd).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Ah, Justified. So many great characters, tremendous story arcs, and so very very unpredictable. Every time I thought the plot was going to go one way it went down a different path. And the ending was so satisfying. If I recall one PE member was shocked by the violence but hell, what does one expect of a drama based in rural Appalachia about a US Marshall going up against the Dixie Mafia (and Boyd).
    Completely agree. Easily one of my favorites.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I really enjoyed the parts of Justified that I saw. Great characters is what made the difference. Unfortunately my wife burned through 90% of the episodes without me, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Unfortunately my wife burned through 90% of the episodes without me, lol.
    Something that is not allowed in my house. We decide beforehand if we will watch a series together or not and we respect that rule. If one of us gives up on a show then it's up to the other to continue on at his/her own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watched all 6 seasons of JUSTIFIED gotta love it!!! full of great characters. Got the heads up on this show from an article about viewers that needed a comedown show after BREAKING BAD, they weren't wrong.
    IIRC, I started watching it around episode 3 or 4 of season 2 when it first aired on FX back in 2011. It was the Elmore Leonard connection that piqued my interest. Hooked me pretty quickly. Justified ranks up there in my top 5 of drama shows. I ended up liking it better than Breaking Bad.

Boyd Crowder. Arguably the greatest antagonist ever on the small screen.
    “The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Boyd Crowder. Arguably the greatest antagonist ever on the small screen.
    Certainly gets my vote.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Shortly after we finished watching the last season of Fargo, my wife handed me a package containing something that she'd sent away for:

A Useless Box.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Something that is not allowed in my house. We decide beforehand if we will watch a series together or not and we respect that rule. If one of us gives up on a show then it's up to the other to continue on at his/her own pace.
    I'm sure my wife have stopped if I asked her to, but at the time I was busy with other things so I just let it go. Plus it was already several episodes in before I realized I would have liked to watch the whole thing.
    <sig out of order>

I happened to notice last night that FX must be re-airing Season 3 late on Wednesday nights. My Directv Guide had 3 episodes in a row playing last night. So if you have cable or sat and get FX, you may be in luck.

Has anyone watched The Man In The High Castle? I don't recall any discussion. I'm watching S1 Ep 1 and it's a bit over the top. It got good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth sticking with. Any opinions?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Has anyone watched The Man In The High Castle? I don't recall any discussion. I'm watching S1 Ep 1 and it's a bit over the top. It got good reviews, but I'm not sure it's worth sticking with. Any opinions?
    Watched the first couple of episodes and the wife wasn't sold on it so we dropped it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.