Page 7 of 335 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Another great series is the FX comedy Archer (available on Netflix).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Mad Men, one of the better series, ended well last night I thought. I was sorry to see it end, but at least it had a satisfying ending.
    Some of the younger people I work with did not get the ending as they had no reference point. Maybe you have to be of a certain age....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Some of the younger people I work with did not get the ending as they had no reference point. Maybe you have to be of a certain age....
    Can you say what that was for those of us who don't watch the show? I'm curious. Put a big spoiler alert on it for fans

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Can you say what that was for those of us who don't watch the show? I'm curious. Put a big spoiler alert on it for fans
    Ok, Spolier alert.........

Remember the “I’d like to teach the world to sing” Coke commercials from the 70’s? To this day it is still considered one of the most successful ad campaign’s ever launched and helped Coke become the king of all soft drinks to this day. Mad Men ended by implying that the main character Don Draper goes on to create this ad campaign based on his experiences in the final episode. If you have not seen the show, this might not sound like much, but in context of the story it was a brilliant ending. Many figured that Don was going to either die, become Dick Whitman (you would have had to see the show), or end up a strung out looser. All of those things are implied to be possibilities right up to the end, but instead he does what he always does and rallies to create the greatest ad campaign of all time.
    The thing is, for the ending to have any impact; you have to familiar with the original Coke ad campaign. Some of the younger people I talked to had no clue what it was alluding to as they were not even born when the ads aired so had no reference point

Ah, cool!

I missed that it was Don who was the one being credited for this... I thought Don basically dropped out of society and it was Peggy and Co that came up with the ad. I have to admit that I was dozing a little towards the end of the show. I'll have to catch that finale again!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I missed that it was Don who was the one being credited for this... I thought Don basically dropped out of society and it was Peggy and Co that came up with the ad. I have to admit that I was dozing a little towards the end of the show. I'll have to catch that finale again!
    Right towards the end Don is talking to a girl behind the counter at the retreat (or whatever you want to call it) where he is at. The girl has ribbons in her hair and basically looks exactly like the girls in the coke ad. The very last scene is Don in his yoga pose with the Pacific Ocean in the background. He gets that little smirk on his face, and then the show cuts to the Coke commercial. I guess it could be interpreted differently, but it seemed pretty straight forward to me what they were implying. Don is once again going to come out on top because that is what he does.

House was the last network show that I watched.

well the only two US eries I was following are now over:

Californication (loved the raw humour and the tits galore)

Sons Of Anarchy (for the RnR/rebel lifestyle), though I've got to see the last season yet.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just bingewatched the last three episodes of Agents of SHEILD Season 2. One OMFG moment after another.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Just bingewatched the last three episodes of Agents of SHEILD Season 2. One OMFG moment after another.
    The Sheild was a great series and pretty much stays strong all the way to the end.

The Sheild was a great series and pretty much stays strong all the way to the end.
    wrong show.

Don't know if anyone else watches Nurse Jackie on Showtime w/Edie Falco as a great nurse who also happens to be a junkie.

Tonight's episode was titled, "Are You With Me, Doctor Wu?", and in the waiting room of Dr. Wu's "pill mill", she helps a young girl named, of course, Katy.

Put a smile on my face.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Aren't TV series totally un-prog??

They're mainstream, commercial, popular, etc....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Don't know if anyone else watches Nurse Jackie on Showtime w/Edie Falco as a great nurse who also happens to be a junkie.

Tonight's episode was titled, "Are You With Me, Doctor Wu?", and in the waiting room of Dr. Wu's "pill mill", she helps a young girl named, of course, Katy.

Put a smile on my face.
    Cool! It's not every day that you hear a Steely Dan reference in a TV series!

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    wrong show.
    Oops......never seen Agents Of Shield so can't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Aren't TV series totally un-prog??

They're mainstream, commercial, popular, etc....
    I have stated this before, but IMO (at least here in the U.S.) we are living in the golden age of TV drama.

Right now Bates Motel is my favorite Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are great in the lead roles.
    I also enjoy Vikings although both of them only have 10 shows a season. Rather frustrating to have to wait so long to pick up the story again. Almost would be better to find on Prime or Netflix 3 years in.
    Game of Thrones is okay but I have to get this after the seasons end as we don't have HBO.
    My wife is loving the Starz series Outlander.

Right towards the end Don is talking to a girl behind the counter at the retreat (or whatever you want to call it) where he is at. The girl has ribbons in her hair and basically looks exactly like the girls in the coke ad. The very last scene is Don in his yoga pose with the Pacific Ocean in the background. He gets that little smirk on his face, and then the show cuts to the Coke commercial. I guess it could be interpreted differently, but it seemed pretty straight forward to me what they were implying. Don is once again going to come out on top because that is what he does.
    I was able to re-watch the series finale last weekend and I have to draw the same conclusion as you. I was able to piece it all together...

In other shows...

I'm eyeballs deep into The Walking Dead on Netflix. My girlfriend wants nothing to do with it so I am able to binge a little. I am just finishing up Season 2. No spoilers please...

I love a show where they are not afraid to kill off main characters, though I find that can sometimes backfire. I hope it does not in this series.

Binge-watched the first 3 seasons of Veep, recently. A very funny show. Season 3 wasn't quite as good as the first two and, so far, season 4 is usually as good as season 3... usually.

Fresh Off the Boat is a new show this season that is pretty entertaining. The standout actor on this show is Constance Wu who plays a stereotypical Asian mother. She's great. And great to look at, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    -the "profiler" uses "psychopath". It is an outdated term and has been replaced with a variety of more specific terms such as "sociopath" and "narcissistic"
    You may want to read this: How to Tell a Sociopath from a Psychopath.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Right now Bates Motel is my favorite Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore are great in the lead roles.
    My "Significant Other" and I have been watching it. It's almost like a crazed soap opera, but unlike soap operas, where you have to wait for weeks for something to happen, shit is happening constantly! And yes, Freddie Highmore is perfectly creepy!

Anybody else watch the Netflix original series Grace & Frankie? I'm really liking it.

The cast is amazing. Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen, Sam Waterston, and it looks like they're bringing in a character played by Craig T. Nelson.

Fonda/Sheen & Tomlin/Waterston are long married couples whose husbands are law partners. In episode 1, the men reveal that they are gay and have been having an affair for over 20 years.

These actors are all capable of hitting this premise out of the park, and they do! Regardless of what you think of Fonda, it is positively amazing how hot she still looks at 77!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Anybody else watch the Netflix original series Grace & Frankie?
    The old lady had it on, and shut it off after 15 minutes. I wasn't even paying close attention and I noticed that it was written and acted like a bad 70s or 80s TV movie.

Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin? All you need now is Dolly Parton and Dabney Coleman!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That shows sounds too young and hip for me!