Page 334 of 335 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335 LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 8362

Thread: Current fav US TV series

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Dark Matter on Apple TV+. So far, this is a top notch multi-verse mind-bender! Doesn't hurt that my celebrity crush for many years, Jennifer Connelly, is in this...

Still a couple eps to go, but so far, 8 out of 10 Schrödinger's Cats.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

^^ The novel is very good!

Several of you recommended this show back when it came out and thank you for that. Here are my thoughts:

Fallout Season 1 – Amazon Prime: I have absolutely zero knowledge of the video game that this series is based on, so went into this totally blind. All I can say is wow! This may be my favorite series that I have watched this year. I love just about anything Walter Goggins is in (The Sheild, Justified, The Hateful 8 just to name a few) and he is beyond outstanding here as one of the main characters. The entire cast is stellar with many well-known actors / actresses scattered throughout the season. The story is set mostly in a post-nuclear war wasteland where some people live in underground vaults and some are on the surface. The writing is outstanding, the cinematography and editing are all great. The show never drags or turns stupid. I liked it much better than the other recent video game adapted post-apocalyptic show “The Last Of Us.” Hopefully “Fallout” gets green lit for another season. There still appears to be a lot of story to tell and lots of things were left open. My highest recommendation.

5 out of 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Several of you recommended this show back when it came out and thank you for that. Here are my thoughts:

Fallout Season 1 – Amazon Prime: I have absolutely zero knowledge of the video game that this series is based on, so went into this totally blind. All I can say is wow! This may be my favorite series that I have watched this year. I love just about anything Walter Goggins is in (The Sheild, Justified, The Hateful 8 just to name a few) and he is beyond outstanding here as one of the main characters. The entire cast is stellar with many well-known actors / actresses scattered throughout the season. The story is set mostly in a post-nuclear war wasteland where some people live in underground vaults and some are on the surface. The writing is outstanding, the cinematography and editing are all great. The show never drags or turns stupid. I liked it much better than the other recent video game adapted post-apocalyptic show “The Last Of Us.” Hopefully “Fallout” gets green lit for another season. There still appears to be a lot of story to tell and lots of things were left open. My highest recommendation.

5 out of 5 stars.

Season 2 is greenlite. And possibly in production. I agree , I really liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Season 2 is greenlite. And possibly in production. I agree , I really liked it.
    Cool, I had not heard that.

Yeah I really enjoyed Fallout. Walt Goggins is so good as The Ghoul. It's cast real well all around. I wish there were more creature encounters though. I have played the games which are fantastic. The show does a great job recreating it.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah I really enjoyed Fallout. Walt Goggins is so good as The Ghoul. It's cast real well all around. I wish there were more creature encounters though. I have played the games which are fantastic. The show does a great job recreating it.
    As mentioned, I have zero knowledge of the games, so have nothing to compare.

Fallout is pretty good, thanks Steve et al

Has anybody been watching Dead Boy Detectives? I'm curious to know if it's any good...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I started Sweet Tooth season 3 and finished Eric. Looking forward to The Boys season 4 later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Has anybody been watching Dead Boy Detectives? I'm curious to know if it's any good...
    Stiv Bators deserves an Emmy.

Apparently, this is from 2013 but I just ran across it on Facebook. I googled to see if it was true and according to Snopes, it is absolutely true. Sadly, it was never intended to become public and both participants were disappointed it did.

Anyway, I thought I'd share with you a letter from Sir Anthony Hopkins to Bryan Cranston:

Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Sixth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

New season of Alone on History:

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    New season of Alone on History:

Thanks for the reminder. Love this show.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Does Lucy remind you of Winnie from Wonder years? Looking forward to next season hopefully.

Screenshot_20240615_165056_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240615_164837_Chrome.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by markowitz View Post
    Does Lucy remind you of Winnie from Wonder years?
    I thought so, too.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Season 20 of Deadliest Catch premiered this week for anyone interested. I have watched all 20 seasons and even did the Aleutian Ballad experience when we were in Ketchikan Alaska a few years ago. I still enjoy it.

The wife and I just discovered the series “Black Sails”. Apparently it was originally on Starz Network, but has recently been added to Netflix. This show completely passed me by back when it was on, but had been recommended by some friends and we are really digging it after watching season 1 so far. It is a pirate tale that serves as a prequel to Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island” with a few characters from the book included in the series as younger men. There are 4 seasons. Has anyone else here seen this show?

I've not seen Black Sails, but started watching Ash vs. The Evil Dead, which I didn't see either as it aired. But watched several epsisodes last night off Philo and enjoyed the mix of humor, gore, and such, like the movies. It had three seasons that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Season 20 of Deadliest Catch premiered this week for anyone interested. I have watched all 20 seasons and even did the Aleutian Ballad experience when we were in Ketchikan Alaska a few years ago. I still enjoy it.

I experienced similar conditions first hand in the fall of 1986. When my carrier and her battle group sailed into the Bering Sea. There was a massive storm on our way to Anchorage. The ship slowed to minimum steerage. That's when the screws push just enough water past the rudder(s) to maintain control of the ship. A cab driver in Anchorage told me it was sunny and warm until that very storm rolled through.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Any of you watch Mayor of Kingstown? Binged it over the past week. Oz meets Gangs Of London. Crazy stuff. Not for the squeamish.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I experienced similar conditions first hand in the fall of 1986. When my carrier and her battle group sailed into the Bering Sea. There was a massive storm on our way to Anchorage. The ship slowed to minimum steerage. That's when the screws push just enough water past the rudder(s) to maintain control of the ship. A cab driver in Anchorage told me it was sunny and warm until that very storm rolled through.
    That would be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I was on an HEC in the Coast Guard, which is a little shorter than a Navy frigate. We were home ported in Seattle and twice while I was aboard we went on an Alaskan Patrol in the north Pacific and the Bering Sea. "Walking on walls" really sucks after a while.

There was one trip in '85, I think, when we were "riding in the trough" in some pretty bad seas. The 20-24 watch said they took a 44° roll. I was on the mid-watch and we recorded a 48° roll. The 4-8 watch recorded a 53° roll! A couple of lockers broke loose from the bulkheads and one slid across the deck in the berthing area and almost broke some guy's leg. The Coke machine also broke loose from the bulkhead and was sliding around in the passageway to the mess deck.

The only good thing about rough seas was the mess deck was usually only at 25-40% capacity. Most people were racked out at chow time, leaving me with lots to eat.

For anyone who's never been in those kinds of seas, this will give you an idea of what it was like being on an HEC in the Bering:

And for reference, this is how big an HEC is:

Small, in comparison to a destroyer or a cruiser, but as I said, almost as big as a frigate (~380').

Edit: in that first video, when the water hit the windows of the bridge, that's like being on the 4th floor of an apartment building.
    Last edited by Hal...; 1 Week Ago at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Any of you watch Mayor of Kingstown? Binged it over the past week. Oz meets Gangs Of London. Crazy stuff. Not for the squeamish.
    What channel/carrier has this, Ken?

Bodkin. On Netflix. Premise:

Gilbert Power [SNL's Will Forte], an American podcaster looking to discover his Irish roots, travels to Bodkin, an Irish coastal town, to investigate a cold case involving the disappearance of three people. He is joined by Dublin-born Dubheasa "Dove" Maloney, an investigative journalist in London who is sent on assignment after the death of her source, a government whistleblower. [Emmy, Gilbert's assistant, is also along for the ride] (Wikipedia)

The great Fionnula Flanagan also stars as the nun "Mother Bernadette".

This is listed as "a dark comedy thriller". Unfortunately, there isn't much dark comedy and "thriller" is a bit optimistic. It's a limited series of seven episodes and by the end, I was more anxious for it to end than I was to see how it all played out.

2.5 out of 5 fuck offs.