Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Thread: The Ever-Expanding Gear Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    Attachment 17737

Like I needed a new amp but it was cheap and...I needed it! Trace Elliot Series 6 GP12 AH200, made in UK. Late '80s/early '90s.
    "Only" 200 watts but was plenty loud even with one 8 ohm cab. Has that built-in Trace sound if using the pre-shape button but didn't color the sound too much when not and that's the way I will be using it. The 12-band EQ is very efficient if needed. My most modern amp, all the other heads are from the late 70's.

Here's a clip of me mocking about with more or less overdriven sound. Just to test that the amp does like the pedals too.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-iE1...RteGtwaG5oMTI0
    Sounds nice! Yesterday I saw a used Markbass "Little Mark" head for sale and was very tempted just because I've always thought they had a very different sound than what I usually go for. But I just couldn't justify it since I rarely ever turn on the bass amp I already have (and I've spent too much on home maintenance projects recently). Lately I'm just plugging in to my interface and using plugins.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Sounds nice! Yesterday I saw a used Markbass "Little Mark" head for sale and was very tempted just because I've always thought they had a very different sound than what I usually go for. But I just couldn't justify it since I rarely ever turn on the bass amp I already have (and I've spent too much on home maintenance projects recently). Lately I'm just plugging in to my interface and using plugins.

To me the amp and cab at gigs is nowadays a personal monitor or even more like a bringer of warmth and feel as I use IEMs. Very rarely I get it mic'ed but I'm not worried about that as I have a cab IR in my pedalboard and the sound goes to the PA and the monitors from that. The same sound I "build up" on the board goes to my amp, naturally without the cabinet simulation.
    So I could manage without the amp or could use a monitor or a full range active cab to where I'd drive the same signal as is sent to the house but there's still something special with a real proper bass amp behind you. Other band members like it too (especially drummers) and with the in-ear monitors I don't have to crank the volume that it would make the soundman edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    To me the amp and cab at gigs is nowadays a personal monitor or even more like a bringer of warmth and feel as I use IEMs. Very rarely I get it mic'ed but I'm not worried about that as I have a cab IR in my pedalboard and the sound goes to the PA and the monitors from that. The same sound I "build up" on the board goes to my amp, naturally without the cabinet simulation.
    So I could manage without the amp or could use a monitor or a full range active cab to where I'd drive the same signal as is sent to the house but there's still something special with a real proper bass amp behind you. Other band members like it too (especially drummers) and with the in-ear monitors I don't have to crank the volume that it would make the soundman edgy.
    I, too, love the sound of an actual amp but since I don't play in bands these days I don't have much of a reason to use one. And I have always struggled to capture what I'm hearing from my amp when using microphones to record.
    <sig out of order>

Playing at work, I plug directly into the P.A. using a Hughes & Kettner Red Box. It's also my go to for recording. It can be described as an all analog Amp Sim, and it sounds amazing. I actually bought a second. To use a reference to troubleshoot the first, which stopped working. The problem turned out to be an internally shorted tantalum capacitor.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Playing at work, I plug directly into the P.A. using a Hughes & Kettner Red Box. It's also my go to for recording. It can be described as an all analog Amp Sim, and it sounds amazing. I actually bought a second. To use a reference to troubleshoot the first, which stopped working. The problem turned out to be an internally shorted tantalum capacitor.
    That's awesome you were able to fix it. For some reason, despite looking at various direct boxes/preamps/amp sims/simple-solutions-for-getting-good-sound-into-an-interface, I never came across the Red Box. Reading about it now....
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Cool approach. I love my H&K amp.