Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who here is still releasing new music?

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew_of_DIS View Post
    Our rock opera, formerly known as O Nox Ultima, has since become my debut novel, Regarding Tiberius.
    This looks really good... right up my alley. I will check it out when I have time. I also started writing during the pandemic, and have completed four novels that a publisher picked up. The first is due out at some point, but is also mired in editing. More on that at some point.

In the meantime, my classic rock band just released our second CD, Marathon (download is pay what you want if you'd like to check it out). https://bravepursuit.bandcamp.com/

We did small runs of CDs, because I agree with EBES that it just doesn't feel finished to me until I have a CD in my hand. There's a glut of content of all kinds out there, but people who have the urge to create will continue to do so, even if there's no money in it, or very little, unless you get extraordinarily lucky. So it goes.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholomew_of_DIS View Post
    That said, I absolutely love writing and arranging prog/art rock projects, and I've found that surrounding myself with far superior musicians like Jonathan and Frank helps distract would-be listeners from poo-pooing my guitar chops. What they can't hide, however, are my high tenor but otherwise nondescript lead vocals, so in the intervening nine years since my first post on this thread, I've since fired myself from role of Divine In Sight's lead singer/frontman.

There are no persisting delusions of financial reward or fame attached to either of these projects. JD and I will just make the best art we possibly can and loose it all upon the world on faith.

I guess time will tell if any of this comes to pass ... hopefully in a time frame measured in weeks and months rather than years and decades.
    I think your vocals sound great, so please continue, even if you switch lead singer roles back and forth with the new guy.
    I've been guilty in the past of saying the same thing"life gets in the way", meaning jobs and family and other commitments prevent one from spending more time on music.
    But as the years have gone by, I realize even time watching a favorite program on television, or a DVD, concert, listening to music, grocery shopping together, or other chores are precious moments we have in life. And these experiences outside the recording studio creating, are partially what feeds our soul to create and feel new things.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I'm pretty late to this thread and still reading/absorbing what a lot of other people have said but...
    1. why? I've actually come to the conclusion that trying to have a rational "why" is futile. Existentially, everyone's gotta have a thing. I've decided this is what I do with my time and energy. I can imagine lots of pleasant collateral effects it might have, but none of those are expected or required to do it. I can't advance much of a why beyond that.
    2. How do see the future of music as a commodity? Not great. For me, minimal at best. I'd love to get enough money to somewhat offset the costs of making the stuff, but that's about it. I haven't thought much about the monetization angle beyond that because to do so would require fans.
    3. Do you have second doubts about whether you're being realistic? At this point I've set my expectations to zero, so that seems realistic enough.
    4. What formats are you going to use? Streaming, Bandcamp and CD. If I don't have a CD I can put on my own shelf then it doesn't feel to me like it's done, and the companies that make them have minimum order quantities so I end up with 49 other copies that I can leave in public toilets.
    You've said everything perfectly Hans. I agree 100% except the toilets thing. I would suggest next time you have so many cds left, you could offer them here for free less cost of shipping. At least they would be going in the hands of someone who might appreciate it more than a stranger who may pick it up and be disappointed it's not Buck Owens or Justin Bieber. lol
    Also, why can't you burn your own copies and use a printer to create the cd cover, etc. Some of the printers also allow printing a design on the cd itself.
    I'm pretty sure I read where you have your music professionally mastered, so with your savings on manufacturing you can buy the kind of printer and software to do professional looking cds.
    I've found some cd jaclets constructed from cardboard, which I now use. Good for the environment and they work really well. I'll take a photo and share it here later.
    My wife is an home hobbyist artist and we use a heavy paper for her cards, which I've discovered are great for making my homemade cd jackets.
    Anyway, great comment Hans.
    Of course it's not as professional looking as a manufactured one, and I understand that. I'm just sharing if someone has to work on a budget, or if you're sharing with casual fans or family and friends.
    There is also room on the back jacket for a smaller photo or image.
    IMG_2691.jpgIMG_2695.jpgIMG_2698.jpgIMG_2699.jpg
    link to jackets
    https://www.amazon.com/Sleeves-Envel...418196&sr=8-19

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This looks really good... right up my alley. I will check it out when I have time. I also started writing during the pandemic, and have completed four novels that a publisher picked up. The first is due out at some point, but is also mired in editing. More on that at some point.

In the meantime, my classic rock band just released our second CD, Marathon (download is pay what you want if you'd like to check it out). https://bravepursuit.bandcamp.com/

We did small runs of CDs, because I agree with EBES that it just doesn't feel finished to me until I have a CD in my hand. There's a glut of content of all kinds out there, but people who have the urge to create will continue to do so, even if there's no money in it, or very little, unless you get extraordinarily lucky. So it goes.

Bill
    Great classic rock, keep the fires burning.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 02-09-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

At my current rate of creative throughput, someone just needs to re-reactivate this old thread again in, say, 8 years and I might have something to offer up

As was noted in the Spotify thread, there's no chance of my becoming a self-sustaining independent artist but I never banked on that either. My day job is grand (satisfying, even!) and keeps the bills paid so my art is just me & my whack muse entertaining one another. And luckily, there are a handful of you fine, crazy, wonderful people out there who actually LIKE what I do....so, it's a small little nano-sized ecosystem, but it's one that works and quite honestly makes me feel incredibly happy, fortunate and even successful by my own measures.

So as long as my brain keeps reminding me to get those odd ideas out of the head and into my DAW, I plan to keep dropping bits whenever ready
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Also, why can't you burn your own copies and use a printer to create the cd cover, etc. Some of the printers also allow printing a design on the cd itself.
    I'm pretty sure I read where you have your music professionally mastered, so with your savings on manufacturing you can buy the kind of printer and software to do professional looking cds.
    I've found some cd jaclets constructed from cardboard, which I now use. Good for the environment and they work really well. I'll take a photo and share it here later.
    My wife is an home hobbyist artist and we use a heavy paper for her cards, which I've discovered are great for making my homemade cd jackets.
    Anyway, great comment Hans.
    Of course it's not as professional looking as a manufactured one, and I understand that. I'm just sharing if someone has to work on a budget, or if you're sharing with casual fans or family and friends.
    There is also room on the back jacket for a smaller photo or image.
    Thanks for the recommendation -- I may look into that. I've been doing the music that I release as Electric Brain Electric Shadow since 2015, and with every release I've increased the amount of professionalism (i.e. expense) without increasing the amount of external reward (i.e. people giving me money). The increasing outlay of time, money & effort has started to increase the perceived stakes around the quality of the end result, and honestly it's starting to burn me out. Looking into measures like the one you mentioned might be some way to ramp that down.

new Advent single (and brief update on what's coming)

Greetings,

Advent released an instrumental single last month that can be heard (and purchased) here:

https://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/track/pas-de-quatre

An "in the studio" video for the tune as well:

I'm also in the process of working on my first solo album that I hope to release later this year, along with several new Advent-related tracks for our next (album) release as well.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

Advent released an instrumental single last month that can be heard (and purchased) here:

https://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/track/pas-de-quatre

An "in the studio" video for the tune as well:

I'm also in the process of working on my first solo album that I hope to release later this year, along with several new Advent-related tracks for our next (album) release as well.

Cheers,

Alan
    So exciting! All the best on these new projects
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    If I don't have a CD I can put on my own shelf then it doesn't feel to me like it's done, and the companies that make them have minimum order quantities so I end up with 49 other copies that I can leave in public toilets.
    Now there's a marketing strategy! I've been missing a bet!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    So exciting! All the best on these new projects
    Thanks so much, Kim!

I still write and record and it's long hours of work . A person who has a natural talent for composing is periodically in limbo. It's pretty logical to be in limbo until the idea comes to you. In several cases an idea will come to you overtime and it's better not to force it .

If your writing something that has similarities to a Progressive Rock suite..and you know how you want the piece to begin and end...and you have definite ideas for the middle section..( all in your head), but there's something missing...something you can almost hear.....You have to wait for that idea . If you become impatient and persist in creating a part that you think may be suitable and you record it...you'll end up deleting it when the really worthwhile idea comes to you.

Recording is an on going process. It's easy to figure out your mix as you record. It's always a good idea to blend your instruments with the dynamics that the piece requires . Then it's easier to mix. It takes hours to get everything just right. It's so easy to never be satisfied with the end result. After taking Excedrin and drinking diet Coke I run the race until its complete. If I have solid ideas ready to go. If I don't I'll leave the piece alone .

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Now there's a marketing strategy! I've been missing a bet!
    Sometimes when I leave one I'll write on the wall above it "for a good time go to electricbrainelectricshadow.bandcamp.com"

I released my former band's first and only album on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc in 2020. Songs from the Heart, by Concept of Innocence.
    https://open.spotify.com/album/3XVzm...SBOhQ2GPOWzqYQ

I'm working on more material. I have six songs written, four of them recorded. I'll probably write a seventh one to put on the album. It may be a while before it's done. The songwriting, recording, mixing, all are better than anything I was able to do years ago.

As to the questions in the original post, I'm not doing this under the illusion that I'm going to make money. I'm a musician and making music is what I do. I spent years playing in bands playing other people's music. But I have my own music that I'm writing. I want to record it, release it, and let whoever wants to out there enjoy it. And as long as I feel like every new song I record is my best one yet, I'll keep writing and recording them.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    If your writing something that has similarities to a Progressive Rock suite..and you know how you want the piece to begin and end...and you have definite ideas for the middle section..( all in your head), but there's something missing...something you can almost hear.....You have to wait for that idea . If you become impatient and persist in creating a part that you think may be suitable and you record it...you'll end up deleting it when the really worthwhile idea comes to you.
    This has been a struggle for me for decades. I am now, in 2022, recording pieces with musical ideas that I came up with in 1987-1990. But it was always "Wow that would make a great intro" and I was never able to find something to put after it that I thought fit, or "Wow that's a cool ending" but I was never able to figure out what to put before it.

Another way out of this is to collaborate with fellow musicians. But you have to find the right ones. If you have an idea for an intro, or verse, or something, and they've got a chorus and a bridge that goes perfectly with it, it's amazing how much more quickly songs can happen. But it's not easy finding other musicians who are sensitive to the direction you want to take a song and will come up with the missing parts that take your song further than you could on your own.

I still write and record and it's long hours of work . A person who has a natural talent for composing is periodically in limbo. It's pretty logical to be in limbo until the idea comes to you. In several cases an idea will come to you overtime and it's better not to force it .

Recording is an on going process. It's easy to figure out your mix as you record. It's always a good idea to blend your instruments with the dynamics that the piece requires . Then it's easier to mix. It takes hours to get everything just right. It's so easy to never be satisfied with the end result. After taking Excedrin and drinking diet Coke I run the race until its complete. If I have solid ideas ready to go. If I don't I'll leave the piece alone .
    Sometimes mixing can be a lot of work, especially with layered parts. It's one reason why it took me more than a year to finish 'Annus horribilis'.
    Often after completing something I feel in limbo, but this time I started immediately with my next composition. At some point it didn't seem to work, so I saved it as version 1 and started all over again.
    My way of composing is a bit different, which makes it difficult to work with others. I don't play, I just compose.
    Perhaps someone should try to add a drum part to 'Annus horribilis'.

I have been vocalist on lots of releases, but none of them close to prog.

I did my own instrumental, ambient, darkwave thing called Vouhl, as well.

https://vouhl.bandcamp.com/album/v-uhl

a0405217070_10.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I have been vocalist on lots of releases, but none of them close to prog.

I did my own instrumental, ambient, darkwave thing called Vouhl, as well.

https://vouhl.bandcamp.com/album/v-uhl

a0405217070_10.jpg
    Sounds interesting.

Recording? Yep? Releasing what I record? I gotta work on that bit
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Recording? Yep? Releasing what I record? I gotta work on that bit
    But you have released at least one, after all, I bought it!!

Did you do others in the past?

Ha ha....yeah, I have several on Bandcamp from years past, plus an awkwardly-sizable amount of stuff that I did, don't hate, but couldn't convince myself to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds interesting.
    Thanks!

I know it's been years since this question was asked, and weeks since the last reply, but what the heck...I generally release 1-2 albums plus a single or two per year, with a variety of different projects. So far this year I released one collection of original folk/rock songs with my group The Green Swamp Collective, one brand new studio album by my prog rock band Farpoint, and in the process of releasing a live Farpoint show from 2008. (It's on BandCamp now, will hit the major streaming services this Friday.) Also plan to release a Farpoint Christmas song this November. (It's kind of the year of Farpoint since this is our 25th anniversary as a band.) So far I already have one, maybe two albums and at least one single on the schedule for next year as well. Anyone interested can check out everything I've put out in the past 20 years here:

https://kevinjarvis.bandcamp.com/
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    This has been a struggle for me for decades. I am now, in 2022, recording pieces with musical ideas that I came up with in 1987-1990. But it was always "Wow that would make a great intro" and I was never able to find something to put after it that I thought fit, or "Wow that's a cool ending" but I was never able to figure out what to put before it.

Another way out of this is to collaborate with fellow musicians. But you have to find the right ones. If you have an idea for an intro, or verse, or something, and they've got a chorus and a bridge that goes perfectly with it, it's amazing how much more quickly songs can happen. But it's not easy finding other musicians who are sensitive to the direction you want to take a song and will come up with the missing parts that take your song further than you could on your own.
    Yes it's a crazy struggle!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sometimes mixing can be a lot of work, especially with layered parts. It's one reason why it took me more than a year to finish 'Annus horribilis'.
    Often after completing something I feel in limbo, but this time I started immediately with my next composition. At some point it didn't seem to work, so I saved it as version 1 and started all over again.
    My way of composing is a bit different, which makes it difficult to work with others. I don't play, I just compose.
    Perhaps someone should try to add a drum part to 'Annus horribilis'.
    I would like to hear Annus horriblilis! I must check it out

I seem to get ideas from dreams and the idea comes from thinking about what occurred in that dream .

There are moments when I might recall something creepy happening in my life and then a piece will develop from that.

This is usually how I know what to title the piece , but not the album. I struggle with that . Usually when I'm ready to hire an artist to create the cover...I still don't have a title. Like now! I want to release something in early 2023, but can't come up with a title.

Music For Non Existent Films is taken. Music For Imaginary Films is taken. What do I title the album? Imaginary Themes? It's frustrating.

I've spent 12 to 15 hrs a day recording this album and I'm still not satisfied. I wonder if Todd Rundgren was correct to say that in the 70s when you recorded in the studio you were under pressure to finish and that being a healthier situation than what Laura Nyro often did which was ending up with 10 versions of a song and not being able to choose in the end. I do wonder if he's right about that?

In some situations I hear something playing in my head. I might decide to try a flute or trumpet to play specific lines. Signature lines or guiding lines may enter my head before a melody and I'll have to record that first and the melody later . This sometimes works out beautifully. Other times it can be a failure.

Sometimes I write a section for a piece that features guitar, keyboards, flute, and bass, but I discover afterwards that I can't play the drum part and so I may spend 3 days practicing the drum part. It's insane.

I would like to hear Annus horriblilis! I must check it out
    You can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/user-804295634/annus-horribilis
    I also did a next song, named 'Dezember', which is here: https://soundcloud.com/user-804295634/dezember
    Currently working on 'Dad' in which I use the sound of my dad's old tenor banjo. I can't say I can play it, but after tuning it, I just recorded all notes from every string and used them in Cubase to create chords and things. For chords I used 4 seperate tracks, each representing one string, because I couldn't layer the parts. I also have tracks where I have used a lot of effects on single banjo notes. One part has some octavider, to create lower notes.
    The tracks should become an album on Bandcamp.

Here's a link to a bunch of collaborations I played keys on.

https://www.bandlab.com/collections/...f-e42aac7a5303

And a direct link to my profile and solo stuff.

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsulting

Lots of great musicians on Bandlab that you can collaborate with in all genres.