Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Motorpsycho

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Preorder is up on Rune Grammofon:

https://runegrammofon.com/products/m...FJswEzgvcNWbOQ

Hopefully some American retailers carry this.
    Hmmm...might go for the 2LP if this gets the good word or three.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just read a review on Amazon where the person seemed to be saying Motorpsycho was similar to Monster Magnet. Is this correct? Never heard Monster Magnet. They also said their other favorite band was Sonic Youth, although I don't know that they were saying they're at all similar; are they? I've heard a bit of Sonic Youth, but can't remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmmm...might go for the 2LP if this gets the good word or three.
    Supposedly this one is folkier than the previous albums. I get weirded out about missing out and will probably pre-order from Rune. There are a few other albums I’d like to pick up there, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just read a review on Amazon where the person seemed to be saying Motorpsycho was similar to Monster Magnet. Is this correct? Never heard Monster Magnet. They also said their other favorite band was Sonic Youth, although I don't know that they were saying they're at all similar; are they? I've heard a bit of Sonic Youth, but can't remember it.
    Sonic Youth are all sorts of awesome. Kraut-y and punky and shoe-gazer-y and jammy.

I wouldn’t say a Motorpsycho fan shouldn’t check out SY, but said fan shouldn’t expect any similarities.

Not sure I’ve ever heard Monster Magnet either. Not sure I have time either.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is a huge thread. So sorry if this has been mentioned. I highly recommend the album "Trust Us". Amazing Band.

The Motorpsycho albums I have don't sound like either of those bands IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Sonic Youth are all sorts of awesome. Kraut-y and punky and shoe-gazer-y and jammy.

I wouldn’t say a Motorpsycho fan shouldn’t check out SY, but said fan shouldn’t expect any similarities.

Not sure I’ve ever heard Monster Magnet either. Not sure I have time either.
    I hear you! I'm just asking for the purpose of future listening. My son has also recommended Sonic Youth, so I'll check them out when I have a chance. Monster Magnet I mentally put in a bucket called "Music my cousins used to listen to." These two closest cousins who used to listen to stuff like Garbage and Death Cab for Cutie - so I was a bit intrigued thinking Monster Magnet might be worth listening to. Well, one day I'll find out! Maybe.

Today I listened to Motorpsycho's "The Tower." Crosby, Stills, & Nash plus some psych weirdness, I like it.

I hear you! I'm just asking for the purpose of future listening. My son has also recommended Sonic Youth, so I'll check them out when I have a chance. Monster Magnet I mentally put in a bucket called "Music my cousins used to listen to." These two closest cousins who used to listen to stuff like Garbage and Death Cab for Cutie - so I was a bit intrigued thinking Monster Magnet might be worth listening to. Well, one day I'll find out! Maybe.

Today I listened to Motorpsycho's "The Tower." Crosby, Stills, & Nash plus some psych weirdness, I like it.
    I tried with Sonic Youth, but could never get into them even though I realize they are cited as an influence by many bands. Monster Magnet, I like a few of their songs, but have tried a few albums and not really been able to get into them that much.

^ Which SY albums did you try (or do you remember trying)?

Some of their skronkier moments are interesting but can get . . . well, skronky. I prefer their loose, jammy side. Murray Street, for that reason, is my favorite SY album though I will guess I'm alone in that (I have a feeling most "true" SY fans aren't fans of that one).

Not really digging “The Tower.” I like the rockier tracks, but not so much the folkier ones.

The Tower sounds very good but I don't like the compositions very much. A.S.F.E. is trash IMO.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com

Mood: headbanging

I am a fan of Monster Magnet. They are not a bit like Motorpsycho (another favorite of mine). They are "stoner rock" and if you like bands from that genre they are above average. The album run from "Dopes to Infinity" to "Monolithic Baby" are my favorites. However, the three albums after Monolithic Baby are very good. I haven't yet heard their latest.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Mood: headbanging

Thanks for posting this - I didn't know a single was released! I just read a review of the whole album, so I'm wondering if the whole album has leaked at all - I'd love to find it! I'll buy the CD as soon as it's available, but I'm having a hard time waiting even though it's only a couple of weeks.

My trouble with Monster Magnet was that one-dimentional direction of theirs, not necessarily in song/structure but in overall sound. When they hit it big worldwide with Dopes to Infinity in '94, I understood as much that this rather monomanic approach was in fact an asset that their most fanatical following relied on - as with fans of Ac/Dc or Motörhead or Status Quo or Iron Maiden or whatever.

Of course, together with Korn and the more rewarding Kyuss, MM were pioneers of the "stoner" affility, but there's little or nothing of Motorpsycho's vast arrays of eclecticism to be had. Artists hardly match each other simply due to the odd common influence; in this case Hawkwind, BÖC, MC5, Bloodrock.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Tower sounds very good but I don't like the compositions very much. A.S.F.E. is trash IMO.
    Ha ha I totally get it as I listen to a lot of crazy chamber music level bands (and compose for them myself) but A.S.F.E. is easily my favorite song on that album. Maybe because I love to bash along with it on drums.

Just goes to show...

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I am a fan of Monster Magnet. They are not a bit like Motorpsycho (another favorite of mine). They are "stoner rock" and if you like bands from that genre they are above average. The album run from "Dopes to Infinity" to "Monolithic Baby" are my favorites. However, the three albums after Monolithic Baby are very good. I haven't yet heard their latest.
    Best Monster Magnet albums came before Dopes to Infinity, in my opinion.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

New single sounds good but argh. I miss when they still had that jazz-rock edge. I don't think I'll ever get over Kapstad's departure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    Ha ha I totally get it as I listen to a lot of crazy chamber music level bands (and compose for them myself) but A.S.F.E. is easily my favorite song on that album. Maybe because I love to bash along with it on drums.

Just goes to show...

- Matt
    As we say it here in Brazil: blacksmiths prefer wooden skewers
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com

Did you folks know about this site? I guess it is official, or fan-organized but known by the band. One of those things.:

http://www.motorpsychodelicclips.com/

^awesome site! I’ve spent quite a bit of time watching shows there.

looks like some people have been getting their copy already. I'm still a few albums behind!! Thus far the consensus seems to be "yeah, about as good as their other 25 albums"
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Kingdom of Oblivion is on Spotify as of midnight! Sounds very good!

^ Papers here in Norway are complaining that they hardly even had the time to listen to and review the previous 'psycho before this new one. It still got rave recensions! Kingdoms, I mean.

The Crucible was the last one I got. I'm not sure I can or even feel a need to keep up with them anymore. I'm getting old now. I want a farewell Picchio dal Pozzo-disc instead.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Papers here in Norway are complaining that they hardly even had the time to listen to and review the previous 'psycho before this new one. It still got rave recensions! Kingdoms, I mean.

The Crucible was the last one I got. I'm not sure I can or even feel a need to keep up with them anymore. I'm getting old now. I want a farewell Picchio dal Pozzo-disc instead.
    What was the first Motorpsycho album you bought when it was first released? This one seems pretty good!

So far, my physical Motorpsycho collection consists of:

Still Life with Eggplant
    Behind the Sun
    Supersonic Scientists
    Here Be Monsters
    The Crucible
    The All Is One

Working my way backward...

What was the first Motorpsycho album you bought when it was first released?
    Lobotomizer back in very late 1991. It contained too much of their previous squatter-core approach to really make an impression. Honestly they didn't until I got Timothy's Monster on release back in '94. I still like that thing. And there was only faint residue of theor former noise/sludge-core sensibilities left, although what was there of it was awesome.

This is still one of my fave tunes by the band:

I agree! I mean they literally have a country/western album.