Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Motorpsycho

^I.e., they really wanted to sound like a '60s garage rock, psychedelic band. And a '60s pastel pop band. And a '60s West Coast band. And a . . .

Motorpsycho are great synthesists. As Scrotum notes: it's not homage or pastiche or "wink wink" irony; it is something new made from the guts of the old. You can trace a whole bunch of threads. The garment is always Motorpsycho.

I love the band for that. (I'm guessing it's quite obvious that I love this band.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Now where did that thread with only two pages go?!

The 'psychos are so hyperactive at this point that it's almost futile to even -attempt- to keep track. They appear to urge at touring again as well, from what I understand (having worked extremely hard to consolidate a rep and experience at that) - but templates are far from resolved as to how the general market for established rock artists and live venues see fit to contain themselves in tandem after pandemic chaos. I know a couple of live/studio session musicians who've had practically their entire careers ruined due to alterations in adapting to norms of fairly abstract "newness"; somehow almost exclusively implying that rap/hiphop is the ground rule of frame and thus aschewing everything else second.

If Bent and Snah can't make a living from giving, then I can't see that future at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^It seems bad. Let Buzzo offer you some form of something resembling optimism: https://www.guitarworld.com/features...Mk0nRN4_yBSHP4

Just got a big stash of earlier Motorpsycho albums from Rune. Guess will start properly from the compilation Supersonic Scientists A Young Person's Guide to Motorpsycho ...
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Thanks for posting this, it was fun to read! And yeah, a lot of interesting info in there - I'll have to reread it tomorrow to further digest all that.

Motorpsycho’s new drummer is Ingvald Vassbø. I didn’t recognize the name either and just figured it was some hot shit kid drummer. And I suppose I’m not wrong because Vassbø is the drummer in Kanaan.

And then there’s Full Earth for which Vassbø is the drummer and main composer. Here’s the description from Stickman:

“Full Earth creates entrancing organ and synth-laden soundscapes anchored by tight rhythmic grooves. As arpeggiated keys pass and interlock with one another, a compelling and hypnotic picture reveals itself to the listener gradually. Full Earth is truly a unique band and we were hooked from the first listen, which is why we're so much more excited to be releasing their first record.”

Sounds good to me.

The entire new album is on Spotify today (might have appeared yesterday, I forget). Sounds pretty good!

Ingvald is the nicest, most down to earth guy ever. Check out his band Sex Magick Wizards if you dig high-octane jazz-rock.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The entire new album is on Spotify today (might have appeared yesterday, I forget). Sounds pretty good!
    I decided to order directly from Stickman Records. Hopefully it'll be at my door soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Check out his band Sex Magick Wizards if you dig high-octane jazz-rock.
    That's a fun name! Really enjoying the Kanaan album I picked up a few weeks back, so I guess I know what I should check out next.

Jeez, don't buy this on Bandcamp! The CD price is reasonable (about $16.50) but the shipping is over $20.00 !! WTF? On the Stickman site (where I just ordered it too, Polmico!) the shipping is about $9.50, which is a little high but pretty normal these days. So who the F is it that's charging a total of almost $40 to get ONE CD? Is it the band members themselves?

The brand new album, Yay, sees them moding a long mended decision to play out the "tune format" yet again, but way less perfectionist and more rough than either the trilogy (Cake/Panerothyme/Love Cult) or the Tussler and Barracuda sets. The new one's got something distantly Guided By Voices-like about it, interestingly as Rob Pollard (of the Voices) has often spoken favourably of the 'psychos.

But don't expect any lengthy jam-or-noise excursions from Yay.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yay! has made the long trek across the Atlantic and arrived at my home today. Looking forward to digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Jeez, don't buy this on Bandcamp! The CD price is reasonable (about $16.50) but the shipping is over $20.00 !! WTF? On the Stickman site (where I just ordered it too, Polmico!) the shipping is about $9.50, which is a little high but pretty normal these days. So who the F is it that's charging a total of almost $40 to get ONE CD? Is it the band members themselves?
    In America I buy my CD's from Syn-Phonic , Laser, and Wayside. Never pay more than $5 shipping.

^Same. Not all Stickman titles, however, are picked up by American distributers. Temple Fang, for example, have no American distribution (at least that I can find) and shipping through their Bandcamp page is astronomical. It's been years since I've ordered from Stickman, and I was pleasantly surprised by the cost and speed of their shipping.

I've given the album a couple of spins. Nothing immediately jumps out. Is it a grower or just too lightweight? I'm going to assume the former, but time will tell. It definitely has that It's a Love Cult-type vibe.

I'm going to assume, too, that this is the among the last "we made a COVID album" albums that will get released. (The music was recorded during the lockdowns.) A few songs actively reference the pandemic.

Curious as always to see where they go from here.

^Same. Not all Stickman titles, however, are picked up by American distributers. Temple Fang, for example, have no American distribution (at least that I can find) and shipping through their Bandcamp page is astronomical. It's been years since I've ordered from Stickman, and I was pleasantly surprised by the cost and speed of their shipping.

I've given the album a couple of spins. Nothing immediately jumps out. Is it a grower or just too lightweight? I'm going to assume the former, but time will tell. It definitely has that It's a Love Cult-type vibe.

I'm going to assume, too, that this is the among the last "we made a COVID album" albums that will get released. (The music was recorded during the lockdowns.) A few songs actively reference the pandemic.

Curious as always to see where they go from here.
    Listening to this band for the first time today. Many thanks to the forum. What a back catalog to pour over. Literally never heard of them before today. I must have skipped over old threads.

I got into them about 7 years ago. Their albums are so good and take so long to fully digest that by the time I felt "caught up" they had 5 new albums, including three doubles
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Listening to this band for the first time today. Many thanks to the forum. What a back catalog to pour over. Literally never heard of them before today. I must have skipped over old threads.
    They've got an impressively diverse back catalogue. I don't think there's a bad album in there. Enjoy exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I got into them about 7 years ago. Their albums are so good and take so long to fully digest that by the time I felt "caught up" they had 5 new albums, including three doubles
    It's an impressive pace they've been at for the past few years. Ryan and Saether clearly have a good thing going. I keep figuring they'll slow down at some point, right? (Hopefully not!)

^Same. Not all Stickman titles, however, are picked up by American distributers.
    Yes, sometimes they can take a while to wash up on these shores.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    In America I buy my CD's from Syn-Phonic , Laser, and Wayside. Never pay more than $5 shipping.
    While this is true for LaserCD media mail, at least has been until my account was blocked there, this is not necessarily true for Wayside and Syn-Phonic. It all depends how many items you buy from them and I write this from experience. Not that I am complaining here, since both are sometime the only places you can get some titles on this side of the "pond."
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

How about some ELP covers:

https://vimeo.com/759568061

How about some ELP covers:

https://vimeo.com/759568061
    Cool! They rock! "Ok, bring out the old stoner...!"

Motorpsycho have been releasing old singles and EPs digitally through Bandcamp.

Pretty sure Ulv Ulv contains the only music I haven't heard, but I've been picking these up as they come out all the same (unless I have the physical copy). Kinda nice to think about sequencing in a 15-minute "album."

In related-ish news, the Full Earth album is out.

The drummer is Ingvald Vassbø, and y'all should know him from Kanaan and, yes, Motorpsycho.

Hoping that a US distributer picks up the Full Earth album. If not, I guess I can throw some money Stickman Records' way. That new Iron Jinn live album is looking pretty tasty . . .