Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorpsycho

Awesome - haven't heard Vol. 3 yet. Vol. 5 is sure to be absolutely excellent. I think this would bring them up to what, 7 official live albums? 8 if you count the 2-disc concert on the Angels & Daemons reissue (which is awesome, of course)? It's still never enough...
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Preorder is live at Stickman for Roadwork volumes 1-5.

I had to get all 5....

No CD editions for live releases as usual. Those guys from Rune Grammofon are hopeless in their "vinyl only" zealotry.

These new editions come with a CD, but I don’t see a CD only option. Not cool.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    These new editions come with a CD, but I don’t see a CD only option. Not cool.
    And most probably it's just a silver disc in an anonymous paper envelope tossed in, not even a proper cardboard sleeve with some minimum info printed (band name, title, tracks, etc).

At least that's what I got with the "En Konsert for Folk Flest" vinyl set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    And most probably it's just a silver disc in an anonymous paper envelope tossed in, not even a proper cardboard sleeve with some minimum info printed (band name, title, tracks, etc).

At least that's what I got with the "En Konsert for Folk Flest" vinyl set.
    Yeah, I know. I bought that and the play soundtrack they put out. Both are good albums and worth having, and I was ok getting the vinyl because both felt like a special, non-main canon type of release.

Surely these will get cd only releases though, right? If not, I guess I’m adding to my pointless vinyl collection.

Another similar Norwegian band is "The Amazing". Consisting of Alexis Benson, Christoffer Gunrup, Fredrik Swahn, Johan Holmegard, Moussa Fadera, and Reine Fiske (who was on a few Motorpsycho releases). Their release "In Transit" features the same elements of thick guitar sounds, constrained arrangements, and a boatload of diversity. Is there any other connection between the bands?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

The Amazing are Swedish, as is Reine Fiske, better known for his work with Dungen and early 90s proggers Landberk.

Yep.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've recently been getting into this band in a big way. I love delving into bands with expansive discographies like this. Everything I've heard has been pretty awesome, but I especially like Heavy Metal Fruit and Still Life With Eggplant. I really want to get the deluxe editions of their early albums when I have the money - those seem like really good packages.

Got Roadworks Vol5 in the post today. First vinyl I have bought for 30 years. Looking forward to giving it a spin tonight. Looks excellent.

^ Let us know how it is.

I’ve held off in the (likely futile) hopes that a CD only release happens. The vinyl came with a CD, right?

^ Let us know how it is.

I’ve held off in the (likely futile) hopes that a CD only release happens. The vinyl came with a CD, right?
    Yes, there are 2 CDs alongside the 3 LPs.

All 5 arrived today. First up, Vol 5.

^ Let us know how it is.

I wouldn't hold your breath...Stickman posted on Facebook the other day in response to someone's question:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...22369868033940

Q: " Is there some stupid religious war I didn't manage to be aware of? Why is there no cd of Roadworks V?"

A: " There just isn't enough of a sales expectancy when it comes to manufacturing CDs. The CD is on it's way out and that's a fact."

^ Let us know how it is.
    First impressions after listening through it once: lot more ambient stretched-out passages than riffs or conventional songs. Building up to a great crescendo on side six. Need to hear it a few more times to appreciate it fully.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post
    A: " There just isn't enough of a sales expectancy when it comes to manufacturing CDs. The CD is on it's way out and that's a fact."
    Yet they manufacture them to include in their vinyl releases. If they put those CDs on sale separately the sales expectancy of the vinyl releases would decrease significantly and that's another fact.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 06-30-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_hunt View Post

I wouldn't hold your breath...
    Yeah, I know.

I have vol. 5 on pre-order with Amazon. I figure I'll cancel and order from Wayside whenever they pop up there. [Whoops. Check that. Amazon has vol. 3 only.]

Dammit. My ever-growing vinyl collection . . .

And another edit: Wayside has vol. 3 now, too.

I get there's no CD, but is there going to be a digital download at least?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I get there's no CD, but is there going to be a digital download at least?
    Apparently, there will be, in a few weeks.

Well, I bit the bullet. Volume 5 is here now, and I've given it (that is to say, the CDs) a few listens now. There's quite a lot to like here. "Manmower" gets stretched out from the original version on Blissard.

"Ship of Fools" is good to hear in this live setting, but doesn't quite match the studio version (my fav from the last album--really cool VdGG vibes on this tune). For a Roadwork inclusion, I expected a little more stretching out.

"Un Chien" is appropriately spacey.

"Taifun" builds and builds and builds just like you expect it to.

I don't know that I was ever really on the fence for getting this one, but I nevertheless remain annoyed at having to purchase more unneeded vinyl.

Vol. 3 is on its way. That just leaves Vol. 2 to track down.

I like their forays into Jazz.

I know I am a bit behind on this, but I just picked up "The Tower" album from last year and find it to be really really good. Wish I would get to see these guys play live sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Apparently, there will be, in a few weeks.
    It seems to be available on itunes now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ro...l-5/1401032007

awesome! I wound up finding a copy of Vol 3, which I was pretty interested in hearing b/c it hits their short-lived rootsy/psych period. the opening 12-minute version of "Stained Glass" is incredible. but they do quickly revert back to Motorpsycho as usual, ripping into a half-hour long version of "Hogwash" that absolutely rules. and "S.T.G.", of course. really great stuff.