Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bartok binge!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was gonna listen to Boulez's recordings of the Bartok piano concerti, but could find only the first one on my phone. Turns out, for whatever reason, each concerto is tagged to a different artist, that being the soloist (i.e. Boulez recorded each concerto with a different soloist), and hence, Windows Media Player had each one in a different place in the list of albums, or whatever. But I've got that big boxset that Deutsche Gramophone put out of all their Boulez recordings, something like 82 CD's or whatever, and that has all the Bartok stuff in it (among many other treasures). I'll have to listen a couple of them tomorrow maybe.
    The DG recordings of the 3 Bartok piano concerti with Géza Anda on piano and Ferenc Fricsay conducting were highly recommended to me and I can highly recommend them in return.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

The string quartets are fantastic. I think my favorite piece of music by Bartok is his second piano concerto. I just listened to Bluebeard Castle the other day for the first time in years and it’s a beautiful work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't listened to the piano concertos for a few years so I'm having some coffee and listening to the first Bartók CD I bought 30 years ago. Gyorgy Sandor with the Hungarian State Orchestra/ Adam Fischer. This CD is now part of a Sandor box set.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I haven't listened to the piano concertos for a few years so I'm having some coffee and listening to the first Bartók CD I bought 30 years ago. Gyorgy Sandor with the Hungarian State Orchestra/ Adam Fischer. This CD is now part of a Sandor box set.
    Nice....I don't know that recording...enjoy! I usually spin the Boulez CD with three different soloists: Krystian Zimerman, Leif Ove Andsnes, and Helene Grimaud. Sonically it is a total monster....just unbelievable, especially the concert bass drum! One of my fav sounding DG album, of which I have a yachtload. Three amazing "bands" too: Chicago, Berliner, LSO.

BTW, Reid have you heard Ivan Fischer/Budapest recording of The Miraculous Mandarin (Philips)? Another desert island Bartok cd for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

BTW, Reid have you heard Ivan Fischer/Budapest recording of The Miraculous Mandarin (Philips)? Another desert island Bartok cd for me.
    Yeah! It's another old CD I have. I listened to the entire disc in the car the other day and I really enjoyed the whole thing. Very soulful performances. I ordered a few used CDs this week including the Boulez Mandarin on DG, and a more recent piano concertos disc by Bavouzet on Chandos.

I listened to Bernstein's 1959 recording of C. for O. last night on YT with my headphones. That is a terrific performance! I just like the way Bernstein phrases everything, his tempos, and the way the orchestra sounds. Plenty of detail but without sounding too polished. I watched all of the Hurwitz (hello friends!) Bartok videos just see what's out there for recordings of the various works.

Listening to this one for the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta. It's the most exciting performance of the few I have in my small collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    The DG recordings of the 3 Bartok piano concerti with Géza Anda on piano and Ferenc Fricsay conducting were highly recommended to me and I can highly recommend them in return.
    I've got that around here someplace, as well, got that back in the late 90's. I seem to recall reading in the liner note sthat Anda and Fricsay were heavily involved in popularizing the Bartok piano concerti.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The string quartets are fantastic.....
    Particularly No. 3. Widely regarded as his pinnacle.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Got my Abbado/London Miraculous Mandarin playing now. Recommend.

Another lesser known good one is Schwarz/Seattle. Originally on Delos label coupled with some Kodaly works. Reissued on Naxos coupled with Concerto for Orchestra.

Toot toot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Got my Abbado/London Miraculous Mandarin playing now.
    Great recording.

Great recording.
    Yup. There's two CD issues. I have the CD that couples it with Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. There's another one that has Janacek's Sinfonietta on it.

Got the Schwarz Mandarin on now. Check it out. Or don't.

Last edited by Rick L.; 08-03-2023 at 05:39 PM.

Anybody listen to the violin concertos? I played no.2 by Henryk Szeryng / Royal Concertgebouw, this morning. It's on a Philips 2 disc set with the piano concertos by Stephen Kovacevich.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Yup. There's two CD issues. I have the CD that couples it with Prokofiev's Scythian Suite. There's another one that has Janacek's Sinfonietta on it.

Got the Schwarz Mandarin on now. Check it out. Or don't.
    I have the Prokofiev coupling cd too. I'll check out Schwarz, cheers mate.

Anybody listen to the violin concertos? I played no.2 by Henryk Szeryng / Royal Concertgebouw, this morning. It's on a Philips 2 disc set with the piano concertos by Stephen Kovacevich.
    Not super familiar but own em.

Not super familiar but own em.
    The Gil Shaham No.2 in the Boulez box is a beautiful recording. Right off the bat the simple harp motif followed by the violin melody will win you over pretty easily. It's a great piece!

The Gil Shaham No.2 in the Boulez box is a beautiful recording. Right off the bat the simple harp motif followed by the violin melody will win you over pretty easily. It's a great piece!
    Sweet....I own it and will check 'er out again. Never heard a bad Bartok. I do recall digging the Viola Concerto a bunch....same set.

Sweet....I own it and will check 'er out again. Never heard a bad Bartok. I do recall digging the Viola Concerto a bunch....same set.
    I need revisit that, and the first concerto. I have the single Boulez CD.

Inspired by this thread, I did my own Bartok binge today. I listened to the string quartets, the piano concerti, the viola concerto, the first violin concerto, the concerto for 2 pianos and orchestra, Cantata Profana, the Wooden Prince, Four Orchestral Pieces, and the Concerto For Orchestra. After that, I was getting tired of classical music, so I switched over to Uriah Heep.

I have a lot of catching up to do. Listening now for the first time to Boulez Chicago Cantata Profana and Wooden Prince. Probably I will have to listen to its end standing, from the relentless arse kicking I am receiving.

What a rip-off from Wagner is Wooden Prince's introduction! I told you they were all looting from Wagner, while at the same time renouncing him!

I'm doing the piano concertos by Ashkenazy/Solti/CSO. I bought both Double Decca Solti/Bartok sets but other than the Ashkenazy, I'd say you can find more exciting performances elsewhere. The other set doesn't have the complete Mandarin, but the suite.

Complete version.