Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RIO 2015 reviews & thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    One of the reasons I prefer lyrics I don't understand, seems an advantage with PoiL.
    Me too. I dont really care what they call the album - what they sing or any other underlying motivation. The music is killer. Done. PoiL is great.

Does anyone remember the Art Zoyd set list, please??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The reasons why I lumped them in with Pryapisme is that they seem to focus on something else than the music/ they're in it for the chicks!! Besides their names hinting at their thingie constantly hard, most of their French-spoken banter was about being young sex-addicts and almost making fun of fat (or not so-lean) older guys.... That coupled with poor songwriting, (it's not because you have four virtuosi at their respective instruments that you're making music, this is a respected musician that told me this) there isn't much I'll save from their set.
    I can understand you don't like their music, but why do you say they only speak about sexuality ?
    The jokes between the songs were more about saying RIO's audience is known to be politically right wing oriented and telling name of liberal french politic personnalities, they did'nt say a single word about sex addictism.

They're not in it only for the chicks, they're in it for everyone who still have a chick inside, they remind me when I discovered Mr Bungle :-)

There were no tickets for Pryapisme only ,so maybe the "chicks" were in Art Zoyd, Rêve Général or matts And Morgan's concert , maybe the "chicks" were the 3 days long, maybe the "chicks" have good musical taste , maybe if these musics and this festival still exist, it's also thanks to the "chicks"

Quote Originally Posted by Van Manu View Post
    I can understand you don't like their music, but why do you say they only speak about sexuality ?
    The jokes between the songs were more about saying RIO's audience is known to be politically right wing oriented and telling name of liberal french politic personnalities, they did'nt say a single word about sex addictism.

They're not in it only for the chicks, they're in it for everyone who still have a chick inside, they remind me when I discovered Mr Bungle :-)

There were no tickets for Pryapisme only ,so maybe the "chicks" were in Art Zoyd, Rêve Général or matts And Morgan's concert , maybe the "chicks" were the 3 days long, maybe the "chicks" have good musical taste , maybe if these musics and this festival still exist, it's also thanks to the "chicks"
    Hang on... I might have mixed up POiL and Pryapisme (as I said I lumped them together) in my last intervention, so my VW screw up, here

As I said before, I walked out about a third into their gig, but I remember them making fun (wrongly at that) at older people, since if RIO is politically oriented, it's definitely left-winged/anarchist oriented (Art Zoyd and Henry Cow, not to mention Stormy Six). Apparently, you have the tapes of the concerts, so I can trust you they spoke of something else between the songs I missed, but when they were speaking of our "masse adipeuse" (or something to that effect), that hinted that only them young dudes (petits cons) could .... At least, that's how I took that particular banter

As for the "chicks" presence, it seems I was not the only one to remark (positively) there were a fair bit more than usual, and some younger ones as well. I'd have thought this old adipous pervert would've spotted them at other concerts during the w-e. And Yes, I'm all for many more women in RIO Fest.

===================

OK, please remind me the bands that you could buy tickets only for their concert, as I seem to remember three or four: Ukandanz, Art Zoyd and Secret Chiefs for (quasi) sure, but if you say so, not for Pryapisme, then??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ ^ ^

The bands you could buy separate tickets for were, iirc:

Present
    Secret Chiefs
    Art Zoyd
    and one other - maybe Mats/Morgan

definitely NOT Pryapisme.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

OK, thought I will find time to write a long review but time is always scarce so here is my short review:
    Friday
    Aquaserge – I loved them the first time I saw them in RIO, since then they had an excellent album and EP out which I even loved more than previous material,
    So this show had me with high expectations which were completely fulfiled - I really enjoyed the show, my only gripe was with the sound which was a bit harsh on the mids.

Ukandanz – Also a band I knew before, at least the full length album, and as a big fan of ethiopean music I had a blast. Was half surprised later to hear in the interview that they used to tour with The Ex which I also dig alot.

Present – Nothing to add to previous reviews, as always this band delivered the goods (again only gripe was with the sound - show started with low bass and high mids, this got better as the show progressed)

All in all fantastic day, onwards to day 2 -
    Saturday
    Reve General – Again as a big fan of Guigou Chenevier and all his projects, it was great fun to see and hear his unique sound on the drums for the first time.
    I bought the CD after the show and was a bit afraid that the drums magic would disappear in the studio, but from my first listen I am glad to say it is still there.

Art Zoyd – What can be said that wasnt said before? a historic show which I never thought I would get to witness, chills up and down my spine, one of the highlights for me.
    Also had fun after the show in the tent where the Ulule party was taking place, as one of the few non-french-speaking people there

Mats & Morgan – Not my cup of tea, never was, so didnt have high expectations. I actually enjoyed some of the antics (especially the silly "vintage" keyboard sounds) but overall probably slept most of the show.

Pryapisme – was so tired by this time that I went back to the hotel to sleep.

Sunday
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores – My first (and only) disapointment in the festival, as I knew and liked several albums beforehand. I dont know what didnt work for me in the show- it was too anemic for me, the songs were too samey, the distorted accordion shchtick works better in the studio I guess.

Happy Family – Never was a fan of the japanese high energy bands, (not even Yoshida projects :-P), so this band didnt do anything particular for me.
    It is fun to see all the chops and breaks so I did not suffer

Secret Chiefs 3 – This is the third time I see them, am not a huge fan of their studio albums but live they are great.
    Slightly less varied setlist than the previous show I saw (I prefer variance) but still a great show none-the-less.

The Really Big Experimental Toubifri Orchestra - I am actually one of the very few people in the audience that knew what to expect-
    I stumbled by chance to their CD release party in november, so was really looking forward to this show.
    Even though the show was exactly the same as what I saw (november show had a 20 minutes pre-show goofiness that was missing from the RIO), I still had a fantastic time even though nothing was new to me-
    These guys are so talented and funny and the show offers high theatricality but not in place of the music which was also great - a mix of big band jazz with hard rock with minimalistic with even slight doses of Zeuhl (accompanied by rants over Christian Vander`s inability to drum :-P)-
    Again my only gripe is that the studio CD does not convey the sheer madness of it all. (Still worth a good listen).

All in all this was one of the best RIO festivals for me, (second only to 2010 which was a dream come true), I think 3-4 first league bands a day is the best formula,
    Only sad I didnt have time to see all the interviews as I was busy talking to other festival goers (note for next festival - need to double myself or add more hours to the day )

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    OK, please remind me the bands that you could buy tickets only for their concert, as I seem to remember three or four: Ukandanz, Art Zoyd and Secret Chiefs for (quasi) sure, but if you say so, not for Pryapisme, then??
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^

The bands you could buy separate tickets for were, iirc:

Present
    Secret Chiefs
    Art Zoyd
    and one other - maybe Mats/Morgan

definitely NOT Pryapisme.
    It was Mats/Morgan

RIO15.JPG
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Hang on... I might have mixed up POiL and Pryapisme (as I said I lumped them together) in my last intervention, so my VW screw up, here

As I said before, I walked out about a third into their gig, but I remember them making fun (wrongly at that) at older people, since if RIO is politically oriented, it's definitely left-winged/anarchist oriented (Art Zoyd and Henry Cow, not to mention Stormy Six). Apparently, you have the tapes of the concerts, so I can trust you they spoke of something else between the songs I missed, but when they were speaking of our "masse adipeuse" (or something to that effect), that hinted that only them young dudes (petits cons) could .... At least, that's how I took that particular banter
    I think the guitarist use "masse adipeuse" for flesh or grease, it's not only for old people
    They perfectly know that RIO is extreme left oriented, it was a kind of humour to speak about Alain Madelin or Emmanuel Macron and liberal politicians .
    I personnaly announced them last year that they'll be playing at RIO and you cannot guess how honoured they felt

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    The Really Big Experimental Toubifri Orchestra - I am actually one of the very few people in the audience that knew what to expect-
    I stumbled by chance to their CD release party in november, so was really looking forward to this show.
    At studio de l'ermitage ?
    I was there too !
    I tried then to bring them to Toulouse but never managed to find enough money to , when Michel spoke about a missing band for the RIO line up, I sent him a link to their music , that's the story
    By the way, I really had the feeling that the RIO gig was really better , better sound and better theatral performance (Just disappointed they did'nt do the "parade" at the beginning of the show as in Paris if you remember)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It was Mats/Morgan
    not senile yet!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I was there too !
    I tried then to bring them to Toulouse but never managed to find enough money to , when Michel spoke about a missing band for the RIO line up, I sent him a link to their music , that's the story
    By the way, I really had the feeling that the RIO gig was really better , better sound and better theatral performance (Just disappointed they did'nt do the "parade" at the beginning of the show as in Paris if you remember)
    Yes of course I remember, that was the 20 minute of missing goofiness I was talking about
    I went to see Lindsay Cooper memorial in London and then added Dedication Orchestra, and Magma in Paris in between - so had one day without any shows, this one looked the most promising (and it was way above my expectations).
    I enjoyed both RIO and l'ermitage shows equally, and since the l'ermitage had the advantage of being the first show of them that I saw and RIO was lacking the surprise element for me, I guess that means the RIO show was better

OK, thought I will find time to write a long review but time is always scarce so here is my short review:
    Friday
    Aquaserge – I loved them the first time I saw them in RIO, since then they had an excellent album and EP out which I even loved more than previous material,
    So this show had me with high expectations which were completely fulfiled - I really enjoyed the show, my only gripe was with the sound which was a bit harsh on the mids.

Ukandanz – Also a band I knew before, at least the full length album, and as a big fan of ethiopean music I had a blast. Was half surprised later to hear in the interview that they used to tour with The Ex which I also dig alot.

Present – Nothing to add to previous reviews, as always this band delivered the goods (again only gripe was with the sound - show started with low bass and high mids, this got better as the show progressed)

All in all fantastic day, onwards to day 2 -
    Saturday
    Reve General – Again as a big fan of Guigou Chenevier and all his projects, it was great fun to see and hear his unique sound on the drums for the first time.
    I bought the CD after the show and was a bit afraid that the drums magic would disappear in the studio, but from my first listen I am glad to say it is still there.

Art Zoyd – What can be said that wasnt said before? a historic show which I never thought I would get to witness, chills up and down my spine, one of the highlights for me.
    Also had fun after the show in the tent where the Ulule party was taking place, as one of the few non-french-speaking people there

Mats & Morgan – Not my cup of tea, never was, so didnt have high expectations. I actually enjoyed some of the antics (especially the silly "vintage" keyboard sounds) but overall probably slept most of the show.

Pryapisme – was so tired by this time that I went back to the hotel to sleep.

Sunday
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores – My first (and only) disapointment in the festival, as I knew and liked several albums beforehand. I dont know what didnt work for me in the show- it was too anemic for me, the songs were too samey, the distorted accordion shchtick works better in the studio I guess.

Happy Family – Never was a fan of the japanese high energy bands, (not even Yoshida projects :-P), so this band didnt do anything particular for me.
    It is fun to see all the chops and breaks so I did not suffer

Secret Chiefs 3 – This is the third time I see them, am not a huge fan of their studio albums but live they are great.
    Slightly less varied setlist than the previous show I saw (I prefer variance) but still a great show none-the-less.

Even though the show was exactly the same as what I saw (november show had a 20 minutes pre-show goofiness that was missing from the RIO), I still had a fantastic time even though nothing was new to me-
    These guys are so talented and funny and the show offers high theatricality but not in place of the music which was also great - a mix of big band jazz with hard rock with minimalistic with even slight doses of Zeuhl (accompanied by rants over Christian Vander`s inability to drum :-P)-
    Again my only gripe is that the studio CD does not convey the sheer madness of it all. (Still worth a good listen).

All in all this was one of the best RIO festivals for me, (second only to 2010 which was a dream come true), I think 3-4 first league bands a day is the best formula,
    Only sad I didnt have time to see all the interviews as I was busy talking to other festival goers (note for next festival - need to double myself or add more hours to the day )
    Mats/Morgan Band - I'm not sure what some of you mean about the "silly" and "Vintage" keyboard sounds? I hear Jan Hammer all over it. He wasnt silly with pitch bending Moog was he? I guess I love those guys too much to see what everyone else is not so keen on. I think they're every bit a RIO band as any others... just dont have the same sound - or fit a chamber vibe... or whatever box they're supposed to be in.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Mats/Morgan Band - I'm not sure what some of you mean about the "silly" and "Vintage" keyboard sounds? I hear Jan Hammer all over it. He wasnt silly with pitch bending Moog was he? I guess I love those guys too much to see what everyone else is not so keen on. I think they're every bit a RIO band as any others... just dont have the same sound - or fit a chamber vibe... or whatever box they're supposed to be in.
    Their music is more 'silly fun' and more 'dancey/modern' than some of the other stuff featured at the festival.

If you like their albums, you would have liked their performance, I think. I dunno. I liked it just fine.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Their music is more 'silly fun' and more 'dancey/modern' than some of the other stuff featured at the festival.

If you like their albums, you would have liked their performance, I think. I dunno. I liked it just fine.
    I know if you watch Mats in any show - he's certainly silly and having fun. haha. Love to see that kind of thing. Joy!

OK, mabe silly is not the best word to describe it, but the exaggerated synthetic moog sound is perhaps... anachronistic?
    It is not a tasteful moog sound, sorry. It does not sound anything like analog moog nor does it try to sound like one, it sounds like a parody on the moog synth.
    Not that I mind- like I said I like it, and I am pretty sure it is an artistic decision to use these specific sounds, and I appreciate it.

I think the guitarist use "masse adipeuse" for flesh or grease, it's not only for old people
    They perfectly know that RIO is extreme left oriented, it was a kind of humour to speak about Alain Madelin or Emmanuel Macron and liberal politicians .
    I personnaly announced them last year that they'll be playing at RIO and you cannot guess how honoured they felt
    OK,, if their french internal politics joke didn't work on a non-french francophone attender, you can imagine how thart worked on non-french speakers. They might have concentrated more on other rthings

I was there too !

If you had seen themù before, then how come Michel was quite surprised about the circus-like visual part of the show?

well, I used "silly" first in this thread (in my second day review), so I could take part of the blame, but silly is a word I used more for their visual act (Devo and Kraftwerk-like acts) than their musical part, where I didn't like the 80's-Synclavier sonics (not sure if I'm close as to my guess if the instruments used are corerect, though)...

as an aside: Ok, I haven't heard a Hammer album in about a decade, especially not opther than his 70's stuff (if you'll except that Miami Slice TV serie soundtrack)... Let's just say that already by the time of his first few solo albums in the late 70's, I'm not really a fan of the synth-sounds he used (but he's not alone in that flaw >> not a big fan of Zawinul's later 70's synth sounds either). While I loved Hammer in Maha or Jeremy Steig early-70's albums, I'm not that big of a fan of his contributions in Beck's best albums (the Live album). So bringing Hammer's name in the context of M&M is not a plus in my eyes or ears.

If you had seen them before, then how come Michel was quite surprised about the circus-like visual part of the show?
    Well, because based on the above Michel had only *heard* some of their music (probably from their CD) and never attended one of their shows.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

OK,, if their french internal politics joke didn't work on a non-french francophone attender, you can imagine how thart worked on non-french speakers. They might have concentrated more on other rthings

If you had seen themù before, then how come Michel was quite surprised about the circus-like visual part of the show?

well, I used "silly" first in this thread (in my second day review), so I could take part of the blame, but silly is a word I used more for their visual act (Devo and Kraftwerk-like acts) than their musical part, where I didn't like the 80's-Synclavier sonics (not sure if I'm close as to my guess if the instruments used are corerect, though)...

as an aside: Ok, I haven't heard a Hammer album in about a decade, especially not opther than his 70's stuff (if you'll except that Miami Slice TV serie soundtrack)... Let's just say that already by the time of his first few solo albums in the late 70's, I'm not really a fan of the synth-sounds he used (but he's not alone in that flaw >> not a big fan of Zawinul's later 70's synth sounds either). While I loved Hammer in Maha or Jeremy Steig early-70's albums, I'm not that big of a fan of his contributions in Beck's best albums (the Live album). So bringing Hammer's name in the context of M&M is not a plus in my eyes or ears.
    I definitely see the silly end on the visuals with the reflective vests and the general Devo look. haha. I'll stand by my comparison with Hammer though... Mats has a ton of his flavor in his solos. Not sure how you cant put that context in there somewhere. Doesnt matter anyway. To each their own ears eh. BTW - I love his Miami Vice music. A loT! haha.

I think it's sad that at a festival dedicated to alternative thinking and music, the fact that a band dons reflective vests (one time - they've never done it before & I don't think they will do it again) for humorous effect is seen as hurting their entire performance in some way I really don't understand.

also: if those who don't like their keyboard sounds had attended the press conference, you would have heard Morgan talking about the fact that he creates all his own samples that the keyboards use. Nothing is pre-sets from the 80s or any other decade.

I think it's fine to not like them much. I think the reasons given for not liking them in this thread are - well - valid, of course, because any reason is a good reason to not personally like something, but still somehow a bit sad in the context of 'alternative thinking'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I think it's sad that at a festival dedicated to alternative thinking and music, the fact that a band dons reflective vests (one time - they've never done it before & I don't think they will do it again) for humorous effect is seen as hurting their entire performance in some way I really don't understand.

also: if those who don't like their keyboard sounds had attended the press conference, you would have heard Morgan talking about the fact that he creates all his own samples that the keyboards use. Nothing is pre-sets from the 80s or any other decade.

I think it's fine to not like them much. I think the reasons given for not liking them in this thread are - well - valid, of course, because any reason is a good reason to not personally like something, but still somehow a bit sad in the context of 'alternative thinking'...
    Thats what was buggin me about all of it... I think they are actually more to the extreme end of the music (visuals aside - which I think is really cool personally - and they've dressed that way all year in shows) --- a really fitting band for RIO. BUT--- thats me. The addition of some of Morgan's Batterie Deluxe songs is welcome too. I think that album is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Well, because based on the above Michel had only *heard* some of their music (probably from their CD) and never attended one of their shows.
    As I originally had written in my review, as you know...

But maybe I'm assuming than van manu is part of the RIO fest organization committee

Had I loved the music and the sonics, their visual parts most likely wouldn't have bothered me the slightest, since I haven't got the slightest problem with Secret Chiefs' monastic disuise (despite being an atheist) or the tutus and other tendabcies stage costumes of Toubifri. Hence, in M&M's case, their visual side only enhanced the early 80's sonics, which I'm no fan of...

Hi Steve,
    Dont know if you are reffering to my review too, but just in case-
    1) I didnt mind the vests at all (and would actually love to see Devo but thats another story)
    2) I did not say I did not like the keyboard sounds, I did call them silly but said I liked them - so that means I think they are silly good (like Toubifri, for that matter, which were extremely silly in a good way)
    3) However - I do not like their music so much, I do not think they are RIO or even close ( I would love to hear some opinions of people who do think they are - for me they are not Rock and definately not in opposition to anything - they are very apt and able fusion act and nothing more, why they are in the RIO fest for the second time is a real mystery to me)
    4) The "Alternative thinking" excuse is post modern crap, I`m sorry. Why not bring Kanye West to the festival in the name of "Alternative thinking"?

why they are in the RIO fest for the second time is a real mystery to me)
    I heard this at least 10 times (didn't actually count) during that Saturday and thae following Sunday.

4) The "Alternative thinking" excuse is post modern crap, I`m sorry. Why not bring Kanye West to the festival in the name of "Alternative thinking"?
    Great idea!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I think the negativity is being overstated a bit from my perspective, I just didn't enjoy their set as much as I did some of the other bands or as much as I expected. I didn't have an issue with the attire or the keys sound at all. My thing is I'm not a big fan of over noodly fusion and fusion in a live setting seems to often be over noodly. I has the same experience with RTF, every damn song had at least one solo and often more. In the case of M&M every track seemed to be a set up for a Morgan freakout. I like Morgan freakouts just not in ever track. There was a lack of structure to the tracks, they seemed to meander. That said I'll happily go and see them again and buy more stuff. They just weren't top 5 at the festival for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

just to clarify:

I'm not objecting to people not liking them or not liking them so much. You don't have to justify that - at least not to me.

I am a bit surprised that people think they 'don't belong at RIO' or 'don't deserve to be RIO'. That is what I am posting about.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com