Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1331

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

The Cavaliers moved up to the 3rd pick, which will probably put them just out of the running for the guy I want. Evan Mobley of USC, who is likely to go 1 or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Cavaliers moved up to the 3rd pick, which will probably put them just out of the running for the guy I want. Evan Mobley of USC, who is likely to go 1 or 2.
    I think Rockets will get him. Christian Wood provides a safe environment for him to develop - and maybe they could play together, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I don't think Troy Weaver is going Darko on us. This should be a "do not overthink this" moment. Just pick Cade and call it a day.
    Yup, pretty much everyone is projecting Cade. I would be cool with that. The kid is a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I think Rockets will get him. Christian Wood provides a safe environment for him to develop - and maybe they could play together, who knows?
    If that does happen, (and I think it probably will,) then the Cavaliers should take Jalen Green at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    Minnesota found a taker for Andrew Wiggins with similar term remaining (4 years, $120M+) so anything is possible.
    Got a point there

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Would love to see a Suns/Hawks Finals.
    We here in the Phoenix area would love to see a Suns/Anyone final. The team's only been there twice before. Both times with Paul Westphal. The first time as a player, the second as head coach.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    We here in the Phoenix area would love to see a Suns/Anyone final. The team's only been there twice before. Both times with Paul Westphal. The first time as a player, the second as head coach.
    Yeah I'm rooting for the Suns. Not a "super team" or a "big market" team, just solid. I'm rooting for Atlanta because all their teams are snake bitten. That city needs a championship.

I saw on the crawl during Sportscenter, that Bahstin is close to naming a new Head Coach. I don't follow the Celts, what happened to Brad Stevens? He was one of the best young coaches in the league.

I saw on the crawl during Sportscenter, that Bahstin is close to naming a new Head Coach. I don't follow the Celts, what happened to Brad Stevens? He was one of the best young coaches in the league.
    Stevens moved up to VP of Basketball Operations I believe.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Stevens moved up to VP of Basketball Operations I believe.
    They thought he could be better utilized in the Front Office than courtside as the HC? That's insane. Is Ainge gone? Even if he is, that's insane.

Ainge retired, Stevens stepped up and is going to hire a coach.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/sport...ports/2395535/

They thought he could be better utilized in the Front Office than courtside as the HC? That's insane. Is Ainge gone? Even if he is, that's insane.
    I think it was his own decision. Stevens' I mean. Maybe he was just fed up with the whole coaching thing, because it is awkward to retire at such a young age. Who knows, maybe we'll see him back on the benches after some years time.

Ainge retired, Stevens stepped up and is going to hire a coach.
    I wonder which of them made the decision to trade Kemba Walker (and a first round pick) for Al Horford.

Yeah I'm rooting for the Suns. Not a "super team" or a "big market" team, just solid. I'm rooting for Atlanta because all their teams are snake bitten. That city needs a championship.
    In the beginning, the Suns were a small market team. At the time, Phoenix was similar to Portland OR population wise. Now that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, and the largest state capital, by all measures the Suns are now a big market team.

^ You're right, I guess I should have have said I root for them because they're not an LA or NY or Boston team (and no Lebron). Seems like all the super teams are aging themselves out. Thank goodness.

^^ The Celtics beat the Suns in 5 games during their first trip to the finals. The Suns were the 6 seed in the west, so making the finals was a classic Cinderella story.

Was Charles Barkley playing for them at that time? I remember they were in the Finals against the Bulls I think. Barkley never got a ring, but he's a legend.

In the beginning, the Suns were a small market team. At the time, Phoenix was similar to Portland OR population wise. Now that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the US, and the largest state capital, by all measures the Suns are now a big market team.
    In terms of small v. large market related to sports it's more about TV and Luxury Box revenue. In both Phoenix is mid at best. Phoenix doesn't crack the top 10 in largest TV markets and isn't on the list of cities with the most corporate headquarters.

^^ The Celtics beat the Suns in 5 games during their first trip to the finals. The Suns were the 6 seed in the west, so making the finals was a classic Cinderella story.
    That was the series with "The Heard Shot Round The World," wasn't it? Maybe 1978? I was rooting for PHX. Not a fan of Dave Cowbutt.

Was Charles Barkley playing for them at that time? I remember they were in the Finals against the Bulls I think. Barkley never got a ring, but he's a legend.
    That was their second trip to the finals. At the time, the Suns owned the best record in the league, thus had every right to be there. Unfortunately, MJ, Pippen and the Bulls were too much of a powerhouse to win it all.

In terms of small v. large market related to sports it's more about TV and Luxury Box revenue. In both Phoenix is mid at best. Phoenix doesn't crack the top 10 in largest TV markets and isn't on the list of cities with the most corporate headquarters.
    Yes, it's amazing the TV market hasn't grown with the population. We still have the same stations we had during the late 80s, early 90s. Our freeway system massively expanded during that time, but not the TV market.

EDIT: The reason our TV market hasn't grown with the population is during the same time frame, they've been losing market share to cable, satellite, and now streaming services. The Fox entertainment network's entire existence has been the same time frame. Their shrinking market share has prevented them from expanding their schedule beyond 2/3 of the prime time schedule, and sports on the weekend.

Another factor is more people are from elsewhere than here. They bring with them their loyalties to their hometown teams. Just this past week, there were more Dodgers jerseys at the D-Backs games than D-Backs jerseys.

That was the series with "The Heard Shot Round The World," wasn't it? Maybe 1978? I was rooting for PHX. Not a fan of Dave Cowbutt.
    I was 11 in 1976, so I don't remember all the details.
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-26-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Yes, it's amazing the TV market hasn't grown with the population. We still have the same stations we had during the late 80s, early 90s. Our freeway system massively expanded during that time, but not the TV market.

EDIT: The reason our TV market hasn't grown with the population is during the same time frame, they've been losing market share to cable, satellite, and now streaming services. The Fox entertainment network's entire existence has been the same time frame. Their shrinking market share has prevented them from expanding their schedule beyond 2/3 of the prime time schedule, and sports on the weekend.

Another factor is more people are from elsewhere than here. They bring with them their loyalties to their hometown teams. Just this past week, there were more Dodgers jerseys at the D-Backs games than D-Backs jerseys.
    And nearly all the big markets are metropolises, made of multiple big cities within proximity. Just in the Bay Area we have San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland/Berkeley, plus another 5 million in other close-by cities and counties. Sheesh, you'd think we'd get more cool concerts!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    I wonder which of them made the decision to trade Kemba Walker (and a first round pick) for Al Horford.
    It's Stevens' call. They definitely needed to get rid of Kemba, but it is questionable if they got the maximum they could out of it. This seems just like throwing his contract into the dustbin.

And nearly all the big markets are metropolises, made of multiple big cities within proximity. Just in the Bay Area we have San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland/Berkeley, plus another 5 million in other close-by cities and counties. Sheesh, you'd think we'd get more cool concerts!
    We also have big cities as suburbs: Mesa where I live, Tempe, Chandler, Scottsdale, Glendale, and others. Gilbert just south of me still calls itself a "town," but has grown into a city. What sets us back is we're a Johnny come lately. Taking public transport from Mesa to Glendale is literally a half day trip one way.

This is pretty cool:

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Congratulations Suns.