Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1320

Thread: NBA Basketball Thread

Mr clutch, definitely a childhood hero. Only NBA player to ever win the MVP on a losing final team. RIP

what can you say, the man was a dedicated hater, passing away just days before Boston wins a championship
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Jerry West was my idol growing up. Dad was a big Celts fan and I was a Lakers fan. Bad call. The 1969 playoffs where West was MVP but they still lost to Boston, was devastating.

I always looked to see when LA was on TV. Had to be a Friday or Saturday night game east coast game or I couldn't stay up. Was so happy when they beat the Knicks to finally get the Championship. Some of those games were locally blocked, but I was able to barely pick it up on UHF TV! Told my teacher the following day and got some brownie points for that. I also wrote several book reports on Jerry and Elgin Baylor in elementary and middle school. His biography by Roland Lazenby "Jerry West The Life and Legend of a Basketball Icon" is a good read.

RIP, Mr Clutch
    Last edited by Tangram; 1 Week Ago at 06:42 PM.

My favorite player when I was a kid. His legacy will live as long as the game does.

Luka may actually be one of the best offensive players I've ever seen but his defense has been godawful all playoffs which I'm starting to think is because he just doesn't know how to play D without fouling. also him bitching at the refs on nearly every possession is really costing them, the Cs put up a lot of shots playing 4 on 5 because Luka wasn't getting back

no he doesn't play defense, and the Celtics are exploiting that. Something the Wolves should have been able to do, but failed to.
    Last edited by mnprogger2023; 1 Week Ago at 12:17 PM.

Caught bits of the game. Luka was being ripped on sports talk today. Yeah he's whining and flopping, and wasting time while the Celtics are already up the court slamming the ball in the hoop.

Luka is on fire tonight.

One of the things that makes Luka a scoring machine is that he's build like a power forward playing guard. He overpowers everyone. The thing that makes him a defensive liability is that he's build like a power forward playing guard. His footspeed gets him left behind. Would love to have him on my team.

I kinda got the feeling that the Celtics just took the night off. I hope the Florida Panthers don't take the night off tonight.

Imagine if the Mavs pulls off another win like that in Boston. I can't imagine it happening at all.

^ I can see why you'd say that, based on watching the series so far, but let's not forget that Dallas dispatched 3 very good teams almost easily, and advanced to the finals as a 6th seed.

Quoting a local sportscaster: while it's true no team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win the finals, it's also true no team blown out by more than 30 points in a game has won the finals.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

well that went the way we all expected

the last 2 Finals have been pretty lame - no real memorable moments and it never looked like the Heat or Mavs really had a chance in either. Celtics weren't just the best team they were the deepest and healthiest as well. they should be the overwhelming favorite to come out of the East next year as well. as for the Mavs, it appears that Luka is at that same crossroads that LeBron and Steph were at once upon a time - if he can add a couple more elements to his game he'll be an all-timer, if not he'll be basically a version of Harden who actually hits shots in the playoffs. as great as Luka is you can't just coast on talent once you get that deep. I don't think I've ever seen anyone play defense in the Finals as badly as he did - most players would be benched immediately after getting blown by so many times. also his mentality is pretty horrible, think of how many 5-on-4 possessions the Celtics got because Luka was on the other end yelling at the refs. these issues are fixable I think but ultimately he's gotta get better at playing off the ball

may not matter though, the Mavs team situation doesn't seem great and who knows if you'll get another year like that out of Kyrie. who by the way also played pretty awful in the Finals. maybe the Cs defense is just that good.

The Detroit Pistons just fired head coach Monty Williams after one year of a six-year $78M contract.

$65M is a lot of money to pay someone to go away!

^^ The Suns just fired Monty's replacement after only one season. The problem is team ownership. Making the team top heavy with 3 superstars, and nobody to support them. None of the "big three" are stepping up to lead the team, all deferring to the others. Leaving the team rudderless. By contrast when the Suns re-signed Steve Nash as a free agent, he did in fact lead the team. Not even a Phil Jackson could clean up the mess the team has become.

The Celtics won with defense and runs of 3 pt shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad 2 the Bone View Post
    The Detroit Pistons just fired head coach Monty Williams after one year of a six-year $78M contract.

$65M is a lot of money to pay someone to go away!
    This is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I watched a lot of Pistons basketball this winter and yes they were horrible, but they have a core of young talent and one year is not enough time to evaluate what a new coach might do. The only thing I can think of is there is something behind the scenes with Williams that prompted this. When he was fired from Pheonix it was also strange considering they were one of the best teams in the NBA at the time. It will be interesting to see where the Pistons go from here. Once again, they got screwed in the draft lottery and will only have pick #5 this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I watched a lot of Pistons basketball this winter and yes they were horrible, but they have a core of young talent and one year is not enough time to evaluate what a new coach might do. The only thing I can think of is there is something behind the scenes with Williams that prompted this. When he was fired from Pheonix it was also strange considering they were one of the best teams in the NBA at the time. It will be interesting to see where the Pistons go from here. Once again, they got screwed in the draft lottery and will only have pick #5 this time around.
    Particularly considering during his first season at the helm, Monty took the whipping boys of the NBA to the Finals. Local sports casters, who analyze for a living didn't know what to make of his firing. Topping it off, the Suns traded away a boat load of future draft picks to acquire the "big three." Who are now dragging down the team on multiple levels. The new team owner still thinks his "big three" strategy is a winning formula.

I know we have some west coast Warriors fans here...What was the opinion among the media and fans, if any, regarding Kenny Atkinson? He's the new Cavaliers head coach, and former Warriors assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Particularly considering during his first season at the helm, Monty took the whipping boys of the NBA to the Finals. Local sports casters, who analyze for a living didn't know what to make of his firing. Topping it off, the Suns traded away a boat load of future draft picks to acquire the "big three." Who are now dragging down the team on multiple levels. The new team owner still thinks his "big three" strategy is a winning formula.
    Exactly. Both situations are just strange. I don't know what to make of it. Meanwhile the draft is tomorrow. The Pistons have the #5 pick with no head coach. Dumpster fire in Motown.......