Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Empire

Southern Empire

Huh.

http://www.gep.co.uk/index.php/news/...re-sign-to-gep

It's good news, but the YouTube video shows a song called "How Long"… which was Sean Timms' original name for what became "Intersection" on United Progressive Fraternity's Fall In Love With The World. The arrangement isn't markedly different, either.

I feel for Sean Timms and having an acrimonious band split isn't easy, but I'm not as excited now about Southern Empire's album if it's going to be slightly different versions of what we already got from United Progressive Fraternity. It just seems unprofessional to me not to have some kind of divorce settlement and say "You can have this material, and I'll take that material."

Other people may feel differently, I don't know. I'm listening to it now and it just feels redundant.

Usual caveats about "never criticize musicians who make no money with their CDs" apply here.

EDIT: Okay, this song is new, and pretty good as well. Nice chorus and arrangement, especially the guitar/keyboard call and response near the end. So we'll see.

Last edited by ThomasKDye; 10-30-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

yes we will see, i loved unitopia so i am curious to hear this album

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post

It's good news, but the YouTube video shows a song called "How Long"… which was Sean Timms' original name for what became "Intersection" on United Progressive Fraternity's Fall In Love With The World. The arrangement isn't markedly different, either.
    Yeah, "How Long" is ridiculously close to the UPF track: same melody, lyrics, music and arrangement. Pretty pointless considering it's virtually impossible to replace Mark Truck on vocals.
    The other track is certainly more indicative of where this band is heading. Based on this one it would seem that UPF is closer to the original Unitopia sound while Southern Empire is heading in a slightly heavier direction.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Yeah, "How Long" is ridiculously close to the UPF track: same melody, lyrics, music and arrangement. Pretty pointless considering it's virtually impossible to replace Mark Truck on vocals.
    The other track is certainly more indicative of where this band is heading. Based on this one it would seem that UPF is closer to the original Unitopia sound while Southern Empire is heading in a slightly heavier direction.
    Well, I heard twice this song and I don't think is "ridiculously" close to the UPF track. In fact, I considered this a better version of that song, which I didn't like too much in the UPF CD. The Southern Empire version has a more jazzier feel and the keyboards are much better. Even the voice of the SE singer seems to fit better in this song than the Trueck's version. That's my opinion.

I have to say this album has really grabbed me since I first heard it a couple of weeks ago. Pretty proud of the fact that they're from my hometown. I was never a fan of Unitopia - it just felt too derivative but this is something special. Great musicianship, awesome vocals (and harmonies) and catchy tunes with nice prog arrangements. If you haven't heard it and love stuff like Transatlantic, pick this up.
    I'll be looking forward to seeing them live on 22/05 here in Adelaide.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I know some people who LOVE this album, so I'll have to give it some listens.

Much like UPF, I'm finding this album quite ordinary.

It's much better than UPF in all sences.

Jefferson James
    "Forest Fire" is, for me, exactly what I love about "prog rock". Emphasis on "rock". It's just a great, catchy, helluva-lot-of-fun song to listen to. Hearing bits of Styx, City Boy, Saga, Spock's, the commercial side of prog-rock. Unitopia never grabbed me (too much pastoral, non-rockin' Genesis influence) and I've never heard UPF so I can't comment on the song "How Long". I will be honest and say "How Long" doesn't thrill me anywhere near as much as "Forest Fire" so I am still somewhat skeptical about the Southern Empire album.

All that aside, "Forest Fire" hooked me in big time, I love it! Great melodies and a cool lyric and YES, that key/guitar thing at the end -- when I first heard it I was just laughing and laughing, I absolutely love it. Very cool!!!!

Wishing Sean and Southern Empire all the best, keep 'em coming!

Jon Neudorf
    Picked this one up. Excellent melodic progessive rock. Agree about "Forest Fire". Stellar musicianship and vocal harmonies. Great track. The rest of the album is growing on me as well.

Regards,
    Jon

Well, I was disappointed. To much "Rock" and very little "Prog". I've considered Tim Simms the real "mastermind" behind Unitopia, but he went in direction of "Neo Prog". Nothing new to contribute to the Prog movement. Just some heavy guitars, and great "Synths" solos, but, besides that, nothing else. If you like the actual Spock's Beard, you will like it. But, sadly, for me, is just more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    I've considered Tim Simms the real "mastermind" behind Unitopia
    Sean Timms

Quote Originally Posted by gilawi View Post
    If you like the actual Spock's Beard, you will like it.
    I do, and I do. There are moments that are very Neal Morse-ian, but there were in the original Unitopia albums as well ("Journey's Friend" had a couple of bits that reminded me of "All of the Above"). "The Bridge that Binds" is very much like a Transatlantic epic, actually. I think the only really "prog" section, featuring musical showmanship, is the outro to "Forest Fire."

Jon Neudorf
    I hear more prog than that bit. It's not flashy but there nonetheless.

Regards,
    Jon

I first heard "How Long" on the "Prog" sampler, and was completely blown away.

I then sent a link to my best friends and my wife (yeah, I guess I should consider her on that list), and they were all blown away by it.

I purchased the album and love it.

For the past week, it has been in my CD changer, playing in the pool yard as we in New England enjoy our first heat wave of the year. Everyone who has visited us during that time has commented on how great the album is.

Yeah, it isn't King Crimson or VanDerGraf Generator or Genesis. It is great melodic prog with some great hooks and an occasional drift into AOR. I happen to love it. And my wife who likes AOR, is blown away by it.

It is a wonderful gateway drug to PROG.

GEP are delighted to announce the signing of Australian band Southern Empire. Formed by Sean Timms following the dissolution of his previous band Unitopia, Southern Empire claim influences from the likes of Dream Theater, IQ, Transatlantic, Karnivool and Steven Wilson, bringing a harder, more edgy sound to their music whilst displaying a knack for catchy songs and great melodic hooks.
    (This is just based on the video)
    Dream Theater? Nope.
    IQ? Not really.
    Transatlantic? Now that I can see.
    Don't know who Karnivool is.
    Steven Wilson? Are you joking?

They should have included Ambrosia in the list.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Thread necromancy.

I've rediscovered this album since I first got it. Sometimes albums take a while to really "click" -- in this case, five years. But man, it's really good. I like the vocalist a lot, the band plays with a lot of fire and passion, and Timms' arrangement skills are excellent. I've grown accustomed to the "How Long"/"Intersection" duplication -- I guess it's no worse than one band doing a cover version of another band, and the song IS really nice.

So I guess I rediscovered this just as Unitopia may be reuniting? What timing on my part!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Thread necromancy.

I've rediscovered this album since I first got it. Sometimes albums take a while to really "click" -- in this case, five years. But man, it's really good. I like the vocalist a lot, the band plays with a lot of fire and passion, and Timms' arrangement skills are excellent. I've grown accustomed to the "How Long"/"Intersection" duplication -- I guess it's no worse than one band doing a cover version of another band, and the song IS really nice.

So I guess I rediscovered this just as Unitopia may be reuniting? What timing on my part!
    If it clicked you might want to check out their second album Civilisation which is even better. It has another reworking of a track from the first UPF album, Travelling Man.

Jon Neudorf
    And the latest UPF disc was one of my my favourites of 2019. So good....

Jon Neudorf
    Yes, Civilization is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    If it clicked you might want to check out their second album Civilisation which is even better. It has another reworking of a track from the first UPF album, Travelling Man.
    Oh, I've had that for a while too! I like "Goliath's Moon" quite a bit. It's also excellent and I'm going to be putting that into heavy rotation once this one is done.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Yes, Civilization is very good.
    It is, indeed - excellent band, Sean Timms is supremely talented....

Orcopian
    Civilisation is a great album. I saw them when they toured the U.K. with Damanek, live they are sensational, really talented players and great showmanship. Danny the singer is a really good frontman and no slouch on guitar, but Cam the lead guitarist was brilliant, eclipsing Luke Machin on the night (albeit with more soloing opportunities).

Is this the only Southern Empire thread, it's short and 5 years old.
    I like them, they are a band that are ear friendly, musically gifted beyond the rock genre, adventurous, and modern. Not sure what think about the news concerning the return of Unitopia, a good band also, Yet S.E. Seems to have a great vibe🎸🎸🎸

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been listening to the first one because it's been highly recommended. There are some more typical modern elements that hit my ear the wrong way, but also a lot of good parts, so I'm giving it another try.