Thread: Bookmark function

Bookmark function

I use bookmarks all the time in the old version. Use to scroll the titles of the first page an check the bookmark box for threads that sound interesting. Than I click "Bookmark threads" on the left of the screen and have a comprehensive list of threads that interest me.

I've tried to use the subscribe function in the new PE, but that's really a pain. It needs several clicks just to bookmark one thread. And there's no indication which threads I've bookmarked, as far as I can see.

Any chance this function can be adjusted to be more user friendly, like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by aplodon View Post
    And there's no indication which threads I've bookmarked, as far as I can see.
    At the top of the screen there is a menu bar that ends with Forum Actions and Quick Links. Click on the latter and you have the option to go directly to an overview of your subscribed threads. Another option can by found at the bottom of every page where there is a button on right called Quick Navigation which also gets you directly to that same overview.

Thanks Chris, but I have found out how to find my bookmarked threads. The problem is that when I'm, for example, on the front page of the main board, I can't see which threads I have already bookmarked.

With my bad memory I will not remember half of the threads I have bookmarked. This means, that when I see some thread titles that interest me, I have to:

scroll the Quick Links menu,
    click Subscribed Threads, which takes me to a new page where I have to look for the thread in question among the bookmarked threads,
    scroll down to the bottom of the page,
    click the Quick Navigation menu,
    find the page I want to go back to on the drop down menu (which may need some scrolling, if I'm unlucky)

Then, if the thread was not bookmarked and I want to do that, I have to:
    click the thread to open it,
    click the Thread Tools menu,
    click Subscribe to this Thread, which takes me to another page,
    click Add Subscription,
    wait a few seconds to be transferred back to the thread,
    click the link on top of page, to go back to the front page,
    and then possibly have to do the same thing a couple of more times.

The alternative is to open every thread of interest which I don't remember if I've already bookmarked, and then bookmark them again, just to be sure. That means I have to go through all the steps in the second part of the list above.

All this instead of just checking a box in no time on the main page on the old PE.

Or is there some short cut I have missed?

Why am I subscribed to threads to which I didn't subscribe? I've got threads in my subscription thingy that I merely posted in, not to which I subscribed
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just click on settings and it will show your subscribed threads
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Why am I subscribed to threads to which I didn't subscribe? I've got threads in my subscription thingy that I merely posted in, not to which I subscribed
    There is a setting in your Account which automatically subscribes you to a thread as soon as you have made a post in that thread. You probably have set it yourself as such as it is wasn't the default setting when I created my accuont. But, what I would like to know is how I can unsubscribe from a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Just click on settings and it will show your subscribed threads
    That makes it a little easier. I like when you can just click on a link like that, not having to go into a pull-down menu. I miss the frame on old PE with links to everything you needed. It was always available, without having to scroll or open a pull-down menu or go via another (or several other) page(s).

However, clicking on settings will only show subscribed threads with unread posts. Which is cool actually and quite useful, but doesn't solve the problem with seeing which threads are bookmarked.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    There is a setting in your Account which automatically subscribes you to a thread as soon as you have made a post in that thread. You probably have set it yourself as such as it is wasn't the default setting when I created my accuont. But, what I would like to know is how I can unsubscribe from a thread?
    Hmmm. I went searching through all my settings in my account and even reset them. No dice. I guess we're just rolling a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Hmmm. I went searching through all my settings in my account and even reset them. No dice. I guess we're just rolling a bit here.
    Aah, found it: go at the top of the page to Forum Actions and choose General Settings. There is saysefault Subscription Mode. That is the one you have to change.

Got it! Thanks, Chris. I guess I read that and thought "Well this won't let me subscribe to any thread." Not the case. Cheers, Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    But, what I would like to know is how I can unsubscribe from a thread?
    To UN-subscribe:

Click on "Quick Links"
    Click on "subscribed Threads"
    Note that there's a check-box at the roght-hand side of each sibscribed thread. Check the threads you want to unsubscribe
    Click the "Selected Threads" button.
    Unsubscribe...
    Regards,

Duncan

^^ Thanks Duncan. Takes a bit getting used to finding stuff but I have to say that in many ways it is an improvement over PE 2.0 ... good job :-)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That makes it a little easier. I like when you can just click on a link like that, not having to go into a pull-down menu. I miss the frame on old PE with links to everything you needed. It was always available, without having to scroll or open a pull-down menu or go via another (or several other) page(s).

However, clicking on settings will only show subscribed threads with unread posts. Which is cool actually and quite useful, but doesn't solve the problem with seeing which threads are bookmarked.
    In this case just go to Forum Action drop down and select subscribed threads
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    In this case just go to Forum Action drop down and select subscribed threads
    I've found that, but it doesn't solve the problem either. What I need is to be able to see which ones of all the threads, on for example the main board, are bookmarked and which are not. Like we can on PE2.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ...What I need is to be able to see which ones of all the threads, on for example the main board, are bookmarked and which are not. Like we can on PE2.
    I agree this would be a usefull site feature. You've likely noticed this already: one thing it will show is the threads you've posted in (denoted by a green circle with an arrow in it). I've got my settings to automatically subscribe to threads I post in, so this green circle will cover at least some of my "bookmarked" threads when I do a quick scan of the threads in any given forum / sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    To UN-subscribe:

Click on "Quick Links"
    Click on "subscribed Threads"
    Note that there's a check-box at the roght-hand side of each sibscribed thread. Check the threads you want to unsubscribe
    Click the "Selected Threads" button.
    Unsubscribe...
    Thanks, Duncan!

I was really losing my mind over this a few hours ago. I thought I looked everywhere for that function. For me, even though "Notifications" was something I recognized as associated with Subscriptions, it didn't connect that the boxes (simply saying "none" next to them) would be the hidden-right-out-in-the-open feature I was looking for. And I'll have to go back and read the FAQ again to see if the correct info is there.

In the meantime, my subscriptions are now busy receiving an enema...

There are a lot of snazzy functions that I haven't tried, and really have no interest in trying. I think one reason why some people are frustrated with the new board is because it's so granular. There are just too many things to learn. I just keep it simple. I don't join groups, clubs, whatever (I've yet to even start a thread), and I really only visit three forums (WOT, Off Topic Music, Site Matters, and the main board). Usually I just go to New Posts first.