Page 151 of 412 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 10289

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Maybe they should skip picking goalies for the game and just use the targets from the skills competition.

And stop firing that damn cannon!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I didn't bother watching either the skills competition (actually, I forgot about it but typically enjoy it) and the game itself. Waste of my time--though I'm sure Bettman would love seeing EVERY game played in a way that results in 29 goals.

First hockey game I've ever seen where the score is higher than a lacrosse game. Actually, I didn't really watch it. It was on in the living room while I was doing stuff in the kitchen so I could hear the damn cannon go off every two minutes!

I didn't watch any either. Looking forward to watching a Habs game though!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    My brother made an interesting comment over the holidays. He said that he'd like to see Phaneuf get injured just to see how the team performs without him.
    Looks like Phaneuf is out with an upper body injury. Rumour is that he injured his hand in a fight against the Senators Milan Michalek last week. Dreams do come true.

^^^Life Lesson - never punch a turtle on his shell
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Looks like Phaneuf is out with an upper body injury. Rumour is that he injured his hand in a fight against the Senators Milan Michalek last week. Dreams do come true.
    Good to see he's still going after the other teams toughest!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Despite the slight whitening of roadways, tonight's Rangers @ Islanders game is ON. Yay!

Edit- They should've postponed this one............ppppppppffffffffffffffffftttttttttt tttttttt.
    Last edited by Obscured; 01-27-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

The eons are closing
    Okposo out 6-8 weeks with upper body injury....doh!
    Puck Daddy at yahoo just picked isles to win East....double doh!

And the ASG was a disgrace to hockey.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Round of applause for Marty Brodeur as he calls it a day. http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...fice/21135722/
    Truly, one of the greats.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Brodeur owns a few records for the ages. Congrats on a long and fruitful career!

Habs managed to steal another 2 points last night. However, this "we'll let the other team take twice as many shots as we do and hope Price steals the game for us" approach is going to get them in a lot of trouble.

Bring on the Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Round of applause for Marty Brodeur as he calls it a day. http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/2...fice/21135722/
    Truly, one of the greats.
    I hated those trapping Devils teams with a fiery passion - especially Scott Stevens - but always respected Brodeur. He was fantastic.

Got to witness in-person the Flyers' second consecutive shoot-out win last night. Yes, you read the correctly - not only two shoot-out wins this season, but two back-to-back!

The Flyers' public address announcer is a customer of my girlfriend's, so we visited him before the game and he allowed us to watch warm-ups from the penalty box - a very cool thrill.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

Why does this never occur in Toronto? One of the main reasons is that Toronto is not a really passionate city. It's a money city. They pay lip service to "passion" but that's about it. I was at Game 7 in 2012, outside the ACC. Aside from the people up really close to the giant screen, most of the people were there only because it was a happening. They were more concerned with taking selfies of themselves at the happening than paying attention to the reason for the happening. That's Toronto. Had this occurred here, all eyes would have been on the game. In the 50s, they suspended the Rocket during the playoffs and it resulted in a bomb scare at the Forum. That's Montreal. This difference is what makes Montreal a perennial contender and Toronto an eternal pretender. Leaf fans have to finally lay down the gauntlet and hit the organization where it hurts: the bottom line. But Corporate Toronto will keep shelling out for luxury boxes and the average fann will keep paying the highest face value ticket price in the league to keep Toronto Maple Leafs Inc in the black every year, regardless of the product.

Rant over.
    I could be wrong on this, but don't you think that Detroit draws away some of the sports market from Toronto. The Red Wings and Tigers especially have traditionally drawn a lot of folks from across the river, and it is only a couple hours drive from Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I could be wrong on this, but don't you think that Detroit draws away some of the sports market from Toronto. The Red Wings and Tigers especially have traditionally drawn a lot of folks from across the river, and it is only a couple hours drive from Toronto.
    Detroit is a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from Toronto. Buffalo is a 1.5 hour drive.

I know a lot of people who will drive to Buffalo to catch a hockey or football game (usually the opposing team is the attraction, not the home team... and the cheap alcohol ). You can drive to Buffalo, catch a game, and still be home and sleeping in your own bed at a decent hour.

I don't know anyone who goes to Detroit on a regular basis. It's too far.

Detroit is a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from Toronto. Buffalo is a 1.5 hour drive.

I know a lot of people who will drive to Buffalo to catch a hockey or football game (usually the opposing team is the attraction, not the home team... and the cheap alcohol ). You can drive to Buffalo, catch a game, and still be home and sleeping in your own bed at a decent hour.

I don't know anyone who goes to Detroit on a regular basis. It's too far.
    Yea, I guess you are right. I was thinking Toronto was closer than that. Detroit does draw a lot of fans from southwest Ontario though. I would think it might still be the same general market as Toronto would draw from a Canadian province perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yea, I guess you are right. I was thinking Toronto was closer than that. Detroit does draw a lot of fans from southwest Ontario though. I would think it might still be the same general market as Toronto would draw from a Canadian province perspective.
    If you look at it that way then I'm sure that you're right. There is quite a large population between Toronto and Detroit. As you get futher south I'm sure that there are lots of fans heading to Detroit over Toronto. So from that perspective Detroit probably is drawing fans away from the Toronto sports market. To be honest, I've really never thought about it.

In other news, the Leafs just lost to the Devils. That makes it only 3 wins in 18 games. Thanks god it's Lacrosse season!

Klonk! It's your favorite diving team tonight!

you'll never be as bad as Pitt though! Hopin for some fast back n forth hockey tonight. Hopefully get away from the clogged neutral zones of late!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    you'll never be as bad as Pitt though!
    NO ONE is as bad as Pitt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Klonk! It's your favorite diving team tonight!
    Plekanec got away with a dive during the anthems.

It was an entertaining 1-0 game . Uhh... scratch that... it was a 2-0 game. That first one was a goal. They were freezing the frame with the puck still touching the line but it was on it's way back out. When you watch it in real time you see a blur cross the line completely, hit Lundqvist just above the skate, then roll up his pad and out. That's the second time in a month the Habs get gipped out of a goal. But then again, the reviews DO take place in Toronto!

Aside from that, it was a fairly hard hitting game with both teams stealing the momentum from the other throughout, and both goalies making crazy stops. May we meet in the playoffs again this year!

The "real" Super Bowl Sunday is in DC at the Verizon Center for the Note vs the Caps

I'll be behind the net sporting a white Oshie, haven't seen my boys in person since my NY days at the Garden, it's been way too long

1PM start, so plenty of time to get back and prepare for the *other* game

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Habs have a tradition of playing back-to-back home games on SB weekend, both at 1:00PM. We'll mollify the Caps for you tomorrow...

Here's that disallowed goal. They called it no goal on the ice and the video was deemed inconclusive.... Maybe I'm just biased...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...737481&lang=en

Here's that disallowed goal. They called it no goal on the ice and the video was deemed inconclusive.... Maybe I'm just biased...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...737481&lang=en
    That's a tough one. When you can see the puck, it's on the line. But it does look like the puck shot past the line to hit his toe and roll back up his skate. If that's what happened then it's in. But it's hard to say for sure.

If I had to call it, based on the direction and trajectory of the puck on it's way into the net, I'd say it's a goal. But if you have to rely on what you can actually see then I'd say no goal.