Page 53 of 412 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 10290

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Ed, it was nice when your lame-ass, whiny, conspiracy bullshit was just limited to the NFL thread. How 'bout lets get back to that. Caps were undisciplined after the 2nd game...simple as that. There's a reason why the Rangers are the least penalized team in the NHL...it's because they don't take many penalties! Torts is notorious for sitting anyone, star or not, for taking stupid penalties.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

ok. Ovechkin is almost as big a draw as Crosby for ratings you dingbat. Caps/Pens in next round would have been MONSTROUS for ratings/revenue. Your team lost, played undisciplined hockey and your stars shit the bed. Take it like a man and quit sobbing.

Redwings looked great this afternoon. I honestly felt we would be coming back to Detroit down 0-2, but I am starting to believe. Monday night's game is going to be a blast.

Steve Sly

WeatherWiseCDC
    An NHL thread? Awesome. Hi, guys.

Before I say much else, I'd like to comment on Alex Ovechkin: what a nightmare he has had to deal with. After his resurgence this season, it seems he's been taking some major criticism for 'complaining,' though in actuality he hasn't said a word. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I feel he can never truly receive the fan support he deserves. When he's overly successful, fans turn against him at any given opportunity; they cheer when he scores, but criticize him when he falters even once. When he's struggling, people hope he can succeed but criticize him for playing uninspired hockey. It's great that Adam Oates has straightened him out, but I'm concerned about what he has to do now to have his critics shut their mouths. If he does not continue his streak of dominant play in next year's regular season, I think he'll find himself in a really difficult situation.

If you guys would like to ask me anything about Pavel Bure, I specialize in researching and understanding him, his game, his career, and his potential. I've done some major analysis over at another forum called HFBoards, if you guys are interested. I've also released a series of videos called "The Lost Shifts" on YouTube featuring shifts taken from randomly-selected games to analyze his game.

Here are the first two videos of the series, designed to prove he was a dominant player, and to explain why he is called the most electrifying player of all time alongside Bobby Orr. The footage shown in each video is from three games only, to give viewers an idea of what is meant when people say was lethal whenever he had the puck. He didn't necessary have to score goals to be exciting -- his electrifying coast-to-coast style and creativity brought fans to their seat every time he had the puck.

The third video, which you may find on my channel, demonstrates his two-way ability and playmaking, which I assert to be above average despite several misnomers about his game. He is one of the most misunderstood players of all time, his career marred by injuries, and his lack of adequate teammates to play with. In four of his five full, healthy seasons, he scored ~60 goals each year with only marginal linemates -- 50+ goals in all five seasons. Knee injuries ultimately led to his early retirement, and by the late 1990s he was virtually playing on one leg, though he continued to be the exciting, explosive player fans knew until his retirement in 2003.

Anyway, I'd like to say hi to everyone here. Enjoy the playoffs!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 05-19-2013 at 01:34 AM.

That early 3rd period goal by Boston took all the life out of the Rangers.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Yeah...that was it. Oh well, down 2-0...business as usual

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    An NHL thread? Awesome. Hi, guys.

Before I say much else, I'd like to comment on Alex Ovechkin: what a nightmare he has had to deal with. After his resurgence this season, it seems he's been taking some major criticism for 'complaining,' though in actuality he hasn't said a word. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I feel he can never truly receive the fan support he deserves. When he's overly successful, fans turn against him at any given opportunity; they cheer when he scores, but criticize him when he falters even once. When he's struggling, people hope he can succeed but criticize him for playing uninspired hockey. It's great that Adam Oates has straightened him out, but I'm concerned about what he has to do now to have his critics shut their mouths. If he does not continue his streak of dominant play in next year's regular season, I think he'll find himself in a really difficult situation.

If you guys would like to ask me anything about Pavel Bure, I specialize in researching and understanding him, his game, his career, and his potential. I've done some major analysis over at another forum called HFBoards, if you guys are interested. I've also released a series of videos called "The Lost Shifts" on YouTube featuring shifts taken from randomly-selected games to analyze his game.
    Regarding Ovechkin, I have zero sympathy. He's under a microscope because of his massive ego. Immense talent and had a great 2nd half of shortened season, but his two-way game is atrocious.

Regarding Bure, even though he was briefly a Ranger before the knee did him in, my favorite moment involving him was in '94 Cup finals when Richter stopped his penalty shot. Changed the series. He was indeed an exciting and explosive player.

Regarding HFBoards...I'm a member, but hardly visit anymore. It's loaded with whiny, loud-mouth, keyboard meatheads who like to think they could coach any NHL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regarding HFBoards...I'm a member, but hardly visit anymore. It's loaded with whiny, loud-mouth, keyboard meatheads who like to think they could coach any NHL team.
    Whereas here at PE, we're all General Manager wannabees

Speaking of being down 0-2; Ottawa has their work cut out for them tonight. The good news is that Jason Spezza will play in Game 3. I don't have very high expectations for him tonight, but maybe he can elevate the skill level on the power-play. It has been pretty poor all season; not Rangers bad, but close. Coach MacLean is going to have work some magic tonight with his line changes. If he can't get some good matchups, Pens will sweep this series. Anderson is back in nets but if they lose tonight, I wouldn't be surprised to see Robin Lehner start Game 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Regarding Ovechkin, I have zero sympathy. He's under a microscope because of his massive ego. Immense talent and had a great 2nd half of shortened season, but his two-way game is atrocious.

Calling him a choke artist does a disservice to choke artists.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Speaking of being down 0-2; Ottawa has their work cut out for them tonight.
    Wicked s/h goal with 28.6 left to send game into ot.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

WeatherWiseCDC
    Ottawa with a tremendous comeback! Pittsburgh looked like they would take it in OT, but the Sens pulled through. Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, those two are my favorites. It would be tremendous if either could win the Stanley Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Ottawa with a tremendous comeback! Pittsburgh looked like they would take it in OT, but the Sens pulled through. Of the teams remaining in the playoffs, those two are my favorites. It would be tremendous if either could win the Stanley Cup.
    Nice goal by Rudolph....Ottawa has some spirits left in them...Go Ottawa, beat the NHL Yankees...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    When the refs call 3 1/2 times the penalties on your team, you don't get a chance to choke.
    Enoug about the refs!!! ...I did not watch all the games but the last 2 games the refs were calling game even...refs have no obligations to balance out number of penalties between the teams...if the player is out of position or slow he takes penalty...Caps were more skilled but slower than Rangers, Rangers were moving better and were more active and that is why Caps were taking more penalties

Really enough about the refs their calls weren't a big factor in the outcome of that series.

Way to go Sen's would love to see them knock off the Pen's!

Can't complain the Ranger played two pretty good games in Boston hopefully being back at MSG will give them the edge in the next two.

Interesting that the winners of each of the last five cup finals are still playing . . . . . . . . .
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

WeatherWiseCDC
    Since we've been talking about ELO in the other thread, I thought I'd bring this up for the Canadians in here. Many have had to endure listening to that sarcastic grump, Bob McCown, on Toronto radio for the past several years. Sometimes I think McCown is trying to look like 80s Jeff Lynne. Like Lynne, McCown wears his sunglasses everywhere, even in the studio.

My first NHL playoff live experience lived up to the hype tonight. We had seats way up in the nosebleeds, but it was still very cool. The place was electric, especially when the Wings really cranked it up in the 2nd period. The last 5 minutes of the game was like being at a rock concert. The crowd was extremely loud with almost the whole arena singing along with stuff being played over the P.A. It was definitely fun. 5 Octopi were thrown on to the ice at different points in the game, and I still can’t figure out how people get those things in the building without being caught. Of course each time it happened the crowd went nuts. At the beginning of this series I thought Chicago would take it in 5, but the Red Wings are really starting to look like contenders.

On the negative side, Joe Luis arena is an outdated barn and needs to be replaced. Back in the mid-70’s when the place was built, it was state of the art, but today it is an old rundown facility that is really showing its age. I have been to several NHL games when in Florida at the Tampa Bay Lightning’s stadium and it is a beautiful modern facility. Even the United Center in Chicago blows away the Joe. I realize there is something to be said for tradition, but the Tigers, Lions, and Pistons all play in beautiful arenas / stadiums when the most successful franchise in Detroit history, the Red Wings, play in by far the worst venue. Heck, the Red Wings AHL team plays in a nicer arena (Van Andel arena in Grand Rapids MI). It is time to replace The Joe.

Steve Sly

WeatherWiseCDC
    What a goal by Nyquist, eh? Then, right after, you guys picked up the second goal and the crowd erupted. It was loud even on television. Fortunately, you guys are building a new arena. As far as the worst building goes, at least you guys aren't watching the game at Nassau on Long Island. That place is one of the worst, and the Islanders can't wait to get out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    My first NHL playoff live experience lived up to the hype tonight. We had seats way up in the nosebleeds, but it was still very cool. The place was electric, especially when the Wings really cranked it up in the 2nd period. The last 5 minutes of the game was like being at a rock concert. The crowd was extremely loud with almost the whole arena singing along with stuff being played over the P.A. It was definitely fun. 5 Octopi were thrown on to the ice at different points in the game, and I still can’t figure out how people get those things in the building without being caught. Of course each time it happened the crowd went nuts. At the beginning of this series I thought Chicago would take it in 5, but the Red Wings are really starting to look like contenders.

On the negative side, Joe Luis arena is an outdated barn and needs to be replaced. Back in the mid-70’s when the place was built, it was state of the art, but today it is an old rundown facility that is really showing its age. I have been to several NHL games when in Florida at the Tampa Bay Lightning’s stadium and it is a beautiful modern facility. Even the United Center in Chicago blows away the Joe. I realize there is something to be said for tradition, but the Tigers, Lions, and Pistons all play in beautiful arenas / stadiums when the most successful franchise in Detroit history, the Red Wings, play in by far the worst venue. Heck, the Red Wings AHL team plays in a nicer arena (Van Andel arena in Grand Rapids MI). It is time to replace The Joe.

Steve Sly
    Yeah, but the Joe has got the best boards. Pucks bounce everywhere from them. Ouch that game hurt. The one pitfall for the Blackhawks I stated early in the year, is that come playoff time, the Blackhawks may not be tough enough to get the job done. Coach Q has mentioned it now for a few days, the players need to get in front of the net, take their beating, and good things would happen. They're just not hard-wired for that style of play, so we will see how they respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Yeah, but the Joe has got the best boards. Pucks bounce everywhere from them. Ouch that game hurt. The one pitfall for the Blackhawks I stated early in the year, is that come playoff time, the Blackhawks may not be tough enough to get the job done. Coach Q has mentioned it now for a few days, the players need to get in front of the net, take their beating, and good things would happen. They're just not hard-wired for that style of play, so we will see how they respond.
    too early to call...in hockey, more than other sport, the 2:1 lead in series means nothing...as Phill Jackson once said when Bulls lost and were 3:2 down on games...after playing 5 games someone has to be down...

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Way to go Sen's would love to see them knock off the Pen's!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Steve Sly
    Nothing more exciting than attending playoff hockey games. The rise of the energy level in the building is incredible. I was fortunate enough to see many of Ranger's games on their run to the cup in 94. That intensity and actions of the fans is a memorable as the games. Although my attendance has dropped off significantly since then last years 1st round game 7 against the Ottawa felt like I was brought back in time. Hoping the Rangers can come back in this current series as I have tickets to game 6.

I agree that arena in Tampa is beautiful probably one of the nicest I've ever been to also the Panthers arena in Sunrise is pretty nice as well. What surprised me the most in Tampa was how into it their fans were for a warm climate city really great atmosphere for hockey.
    As was mentioned the Nassau coliseum is the worst a complete dump and I don't blame the Islanders for leaving. The local government jerked the owner Charles Wang around for years and he even wanted to spend his own money but they denied all of his proposed projects for various reasons. That situation In Detroit doesn't seem right either if there is an organization that deserves a decent arena based on success I would say the Red Wings would top that list.

btw some horrible call on the "second" goal by Hawks...changed the utcome of the game...

Speaking of horrible calls - the Pens got some very favourable missed calls on Sunday night - Matt Cooke hitting Erik Karlsson in the face with his stick, Cooke slashing Karlsson's stick in the first minute, Colin Greening having fibreglass removed from his face after scoring the winning goal in double OT, ...

colin-greening.jpg

Things in Ottawa are nuts right now. Alfie could be mayor right now if he wanted. The team knows they dodged a very large bullet and it's giving them some hope against what everyone knows is a much better team. Spezza's return was big morale booster. Karlsson played almost 40 minutes which says it all about him regaining his confidence.

Can't wait for Game 4!