Page 412 of 412 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412
Results 10,276 to 10,290 of 10290

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I guess I'm dumb, but why did TB have a leg up on trading for his rights? (I don't mean signing him to a contract, I mean getting him initially)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Stamkos, Skjei, and Marchessault to Nashville are now official.
    I didn't expect that!

Hey Brian, What was your opinion of Sam Carrick as an Oiler? He's a NYR now for 3 years. Will be our Goodrow replacement on the 4th line.

Also NYR sign Riley Smith for one year for a 2nd and 5th plus Pitt retains some salary. He's a great playoff performer so there's that, but not blown away by this one. He's a RW though and that's a necessity. We'll see...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

^ I share your assessment. Seems a bit knee jerk reaction after missing out on the bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching the celebration on TV. A player is carrying the Cup and people are falling all over themselves to touch the cup. Is that THE CUP, or a replica for celebration purposes?
    It hasn't been "The" Cup in more than 50 years. The original was permanently retired in 1967 and resides year-round in a vault in the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto. Technically everything since then has been a replica. In 1993 they created a second identical replica Cup so that one can remain on display on the Hall of Fame (not locked in a vault, but out in the open where you can touch it) while the other one is out on the road. The names of the players and management of the winning team are engraved on both copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    ^ I share your assessment. Seems a bit knee jerk reaction after missing out on the bigger fish.
    I think once the Trouba trade fell through (or was just rumors to begin with), Drury's hands were tied because of the salary cap. They didn't have a chance to sign any big names because they would be outbid by others with more money available. Smith at least is a quality playoff performer.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I guess I'm dumb, but why did TB have a leg up on trading for his rights? (I don't mean signing him to a contract, I mean getting him initially)
    Probably because they made the best offer to Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Hey Brian, What was your opinion of Sam Carrick as an Oiler? He's a NYR now for 3 years. Will be our Goodrow replacement on the 4th line.
    Originally kinda saw him as a throw-in as part of the Henrique deal--but there were games when I thought he outplayed Henrique in his own end. Physical forward who is effective at killing the forecheck and solid on the PK as well. Brought a little more sandpaper to the 4th line than Derek Ryan, who was usually a scratch when Carrick was in the lineup.

Originally kinda saw him as a throw-in as part of the Henrique deal--but there were games when I thought he outplayed Henrique in his own end. Physical forward who is effective at killing the forecheck and solid on the PK as well. Brought a little more sandpaper to the 4th line than Derek Ryan, who was usually a scratch when Carrick was in the lineup.
    As an Oilers fan what is your opinion of Jack Campbell? The Red Wings just signed him to a one year deal. Seems like a head scratcher to me, but I don't know that much about the guy other than at one time he was a starter and then he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As an Oilers fan what is your opinion of Jack Campbell? The Red Wings just signed him to a one year deal. Seems like a head scratcher to me, but I don't know that much about the guy other than at one time he was a starter and then he wasn't.
    He was awful in Edmonton. Improved with a stint in the AHL but never got to the point where he was playing well enough to surpass either Skinner or Pickard in Edmonton. A two-way contract makes sense as that's about where he has been the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I think once the Trouba trade fell through (or was just rumors to begin with), Drury's hands were tied because of the salary cap. They didn't have a chance to sign any big names because they would be outbid by others with more money available. Smith at least is a quality playoff performer.
    yeah, that is probably true(ba). Hopefully he works out better than Wheeler. Which I guess just goes to show where my expectations are at.

Probably because they made the best offer to Carolina.
    It seems I'm asking the wrong question. I'll try once more to articulate my point, so forgive me for belaboring a point that really isn't that important overall.

Yes I assume they did make the best offer to carolina, but how I interpreted your statement was they had the ability before the rest of the leauge to even offer carolina anything for him to begin with. I was inquiring why that was the case, assuming I did not misinterpret your statement.

Either way, a third round pick is a bargain IMO and it seems a little strange that no one else would have at least floated a second round pick or some other things/players in a compensation package.

It seems I'm asking the wrong question. I'll try once more to articulate my point, so forgive me for belaboring a point that really isn't that important overall.

Yes I assume they did make the best offer to carolina, but how I interpreted your statement was they had the ability before the rest of the leauge to even offer carolina anything for him to begin with. I was inquiring why that was the case, assuming I did not misinterpret your statement.

Either way, a third round pick is a bargain IMO and it seems a little strange that no one else would have at least floated a second round pick or some other things/players in a compensation package.
    Under the CBA, teams cannot negotiate directly with players if they are still under contract to another team (except for sign & trade deals which are allowed under the CBA). They can talk to an intermediary, such as an agent, but not the player themselves. By making the trade for rights, Tampa could talk directly to Guentzel about a deal while other teams could not. Doing so would be tampering. Now...is that worth a draft pick, since we're talking about 2-3 days prior to Guentzel becoming a free agent? My guess is that Tampa knew they were going to be able to sign him or else they wouldn't have made the trade. Toronto was probably in a similar situation with Tanev.

To clarify...they didn't have an advantage in making an offer to Carolina. They had an advantage in being able to negotiate with him directly after a deal was made. Other teams probably inquired--but why waste sending Carolina a pick if you had slim/no chance of signing Guentzel?

^ That clarifies it nicely.

To clarify...they didn't have an advantage in making an offer to Carolina.
    Ok thanks. This was the part I was confused about.

He was awful in Edmonton. Improved with a stint in the AHL but never got to the point where he was playing well enough to surpass either Skinner or Pickard in Edmonton. A two-way contract makes sense as that's about where he has been the past two years.
    The Red Wings goalie room is suddenly full. I would think the starting job would still be Lyon's to keep as he was pretty good last year, but it seems odd to be bringing in 2 new goalies. Speculation seems to be that Campbell will at least be starting the season in Grand Rapids (AHL).