Page 121 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3283

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Interesting. I lost some taste for a few days when I had COVID and noticed it when drinking IPA's especially, although all seems back to normal now.
    Yes, I was drinking IPAs at the time as I noticed the altered taste. Didn’t lose taste, taste was different and this was Omicron which was much less likely to cause taste loss.

I've got a twelve of Hacker Pschorr Marzen and it's right on track. I'd say your sense of taste is still a little out of line. No worries, it will come back and hopefully in time for the holiday ales.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got a twelve of Hacker Pschorr Marzen and it's right on track. I'd say your sense of taste is still a little out of line. No worries, it will come back and hopefully in time for the holiday ales.
    I’m assuming you are tasting Oktoberfest by Hacker Pschorr. While it has a characteristic taste, it is does not taste as bad as the Paulaner.

Banned
    A BA comment on the Paulaner:
    A very nice Märzen-style Oktoberfest. This is one of the standard-bearers of the style and rightfully so. Things do change slightly year-to-year for this brew (not by much though). Some years I prefer this brew, other years I prefer Hacker-Pschorr's. The 2 are very similar and are owned, if not brewed, by the same company. Between the 2, Paulaner always seemed to tend to being more 'grassy' or even spicy.

I agree with this assessment and I think my taste is more sensitive after COVID. Maybe all of that phlegm I blew out helped clean out a layer of cells in the olfactory area which is important to taste. Draft versions of these beers don’t have that grassy taste to the same degree. Perhaps the carbonation added in bottling amplifies that taste.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Draft beers:

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing, California

Nelson Solo Pale Ale - The Brewing Lair, California

Ales For ALS - Revision Brewing, Sparks, Nevada
    Last edited by spellbound; 09-30-2022 at 03:34 PM.
    Frog in boiling water

Banned
    This one is hitting me just right. On the front end is a hint of sorghum molasses taste, then followed by lengthy dark chocolate and expresso ending[emoji122]

^ Great brew, that. Perfect for a chilly autumn night.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Found these at Costco. In 500 ml (~pint) cans. They are very good. A collaboration between Bitbuger (Deutschland) and Deschutes (Oregon). Bitburger Dry Hop'd Zwickl.

Read their beerpaganda here:

https://www.bitburger.com/beers/coll...y-hopd-zwickl/
    What does Gravity % mean? I was looking at the beer's "specs." Is it unusual that it has no sugar? Maybe that's what "dry hopped" means.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Total Wine is the big store for beer, and wine here and Loose Cannon is not in WA or Oregon. However, I did find Total Wine in WA, and:
    https://www.totalwine.com/beer/lager...kl/p/342797161
    Where I live, we don't really have any of those big beer and wine stores like Total Wine. CTTOI, I think all liquor stores are independently owned. No chains or anything more than one store, and most of them are pretty small. The only liquor stores that are at all big are the stores paired with Costco and Stew Leonard's (a small chain of big supermarkets). We have only one store, about a 20-minute drive away, that has a really good beer selection.

When we were visiting relatives in Arizona, we were amazed by the large supermarkets that sold liquor. Our supermarkets can't sell wine, only beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    This one is hitting me just right. On the front end is a hint of sorghum molasses taste, then followed by lengthy dark chocolate and expresso ending[emoji122]
    I am not a big Scotch Ale guy, but this is one that I like.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Love Founders DB.
    Another good Scotch Ale is Old Chub, by Oskar's Blues, 8% abv.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Love Founders DB.
    Another good Scotch Ale is Old Chub, by Oskar's Blues, 8% abv.
    Yes, great one as well. McEwans was always my first and fav Scotch ale since my undergrad years, but those two are fab too.

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Too funny not to share.
    My wife, Marty, is visiting her parents in California and they just rolled in at Pismo Beach. They’re having lunch and her father orders this;

P-Nut Butter Stout.

My wife is game and she gives it a try!

This happens;

LOL
    [emoji2957][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    P-Nut Butter Stout.

My wife is game and she gives it a try!

This happens;

A couple years ago, I found a peanut butter stout and thought, that sounds like a natural. I tried it and had the same reaction your wife did.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    A couple years ago, I found a peanut butter stout and thought, that sounds like a natural. I tried it and had the same reaction your wife did.
    We have a brewery here in Kalamazoo called One Well Brewing who makes a peanut ale called Professor Nutbutter's which is very popular and quite good. It is not something I can drink a lot of, but I do like a pint of it once in a while.

I tried peanut butter ice cream once! Bleek! Can’t imagine the stout variety!

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    I tried peanut butter ice cream once! Bleek! Can’t imagine the stout variety!

My favorite ice cream is Hudsonville Triple Peanut Butter Cup. Great stuff!

I like peanuts and peanut butter.

I like stout.

I see no reason to mix them together.

Not everything belongs in a beer.

I was in a brewpub not long ago where they had one menu on the wall for flavored beers and hazy style IPAs, and a second menu next to it for west coast style IPAs, of which they had many. My kind of place.

I don't object to all flavored beers, and will try one occasionally, when I'm in the mood.

Mammoth IPA 395, Mammoth Brewing, Mammoth Lakes, California - lightly flavored with desert sage and juniper berries, things you will see and smell on a drive along US Highway 395.

Assorted ales flavored with orange. Examples: Orange Blossom Amber and Orgasmic Orange Witbier, both from Indian Wells Brewing Co in Inyokern, California.

Assorted stouts flavored with coffee and/or chocolate. Everyplace seems to have one of these, at least some of the time.

The weirdest one I like is a seasonal gingerbread flavored ale at Shoe Tree Brewing Co in Carson City and Minden, Nevada. It beats the heck out of any pumpkin-spice flavored fall brew.
    Frog in boiling water

Banned
    This was my first peanut beer. Not bad occasionally.

^ That is a good one. So is this:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That is a good one. So is this:

Because if copyright’s, it costs too much to say Reese’s Porter However, I can call “Saul Goodman” and strike deal for 10% of sales, between the candy company and a brewer

^ It's surprising how many breweries ignore trademarks, copyrights, etc.

Had time for a couple drafts. I chose:

Great Basin Oktoberfest - Probably the same as last year's brew. A decent Oktoberfest. Especially good now that the local stores are sold out of Oktoberfest. This year all I had in bottles was Warsteiner and Bell's. Both very good. No complaints. Just bummed there isn't more variety around here. I never made it up to Total Wine, so had to stick with what I could get.

Stone 26th Anniversary Imperial IPA - If you get a chance to try this, you should.

Frog in boiling water

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Smooth, or Chunky style?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Would have be blowing chunks.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.