Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Irish are coming

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Exactly Sputnik. Guinness Draught (keg, widget-can, bottle) and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US both come from Ireland,so they taste exactly the same as the Guinness in Ireland. Guinness Original the slightly bubbly stuff in bottles, however, is brewed in Canada, either by Labatt or Moosehead.
    Having been to Ireland, I concur, 'tis the same at both ends o' the Atlantic. Of course, it is heavenly coming directly from the St. James Gate brewery in Dublin. Somehow, it tasted better there, straight from the mother's teat. But then I think I was already drunk at the time.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Oh yes, and cheers to the immortal Irish playwright and noted sot Brendan Brehan for writing the greatest slogan for any product: "Guinness makes you drunk."
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Exactly Sputnik. Guinness Draught (keg, widget-can, bottle) and Guinness Foreign Extra Stout in the US both come from Ireland,so they taste exactly the same as the Guinness in Ireland. Guinness Original the slightly bubbly stuff in bottles, however, is brewed in Canada, either by Labatt or Moosehead.

The only Guinness that tastes noticeably different is the very strong (8%) pasteurised Special Export Stout, which is shipped to West and Southern Africa and further East to other very warm climates, I've drunk it in South Africa, and it's awful stuff. There is no pasteurised Guinness in North America.
    Mmm.....I have always been under the impression that all the Guinness we got here in Michigan was brewed across the border in Canada. Considering you can find Guinness in most bars here it just seems like it would be totally impractical to ship that volume of kegged beer across the ocean when they make it on this continent. Could be wrong on that though.

I've never liked stout, dark beers. I've had Guinness. Once I drank three pints and I barely got a buzz. All I got was bloated and gassy.

Burrrrrrrrp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've never liked stout, dark beers. I've had Guinness. Once I drank three pints and I barely got a buzz. All I got was bloated and gassy.
    Guinness is actually a very "light" beer. It's alcohol and calorie content is the equivalent of an American lite pilsner, which might explain the lack of buzz. It is actually the ultimate "session" beer in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Guinness is actually a very "light" beer. It's alcohol and calorie content is the equivalent of an American lite pilsner, which might explain the lack of buzz. It is actually the ultimate "session" beer in that regard.
    That is correct, Steve. Guinness is around 4% in alcoholic content, so you can drink a fair amount without getting loaded. It makes for such a dark, sinister-looking glass-full when all others around you are drinking their Bud Lights.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm.....I have always been under the impression that all the Guinness we got here in Michigan was brewed across the border in Canada. Considering you can find Guinness in most bars here it just seems like it would be totally impractical to ship that volume of kegged beer across the ocean when they make it on this continent. Could be wrong on that though.
    No, according to the official Guinness website and a US brewers site I visited, the only one brewed in Kanadia is Guiness Original.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That is correct, Steve. Guinness is around 4% in alcoholic content,
    Actually, there are many different types of Guinness which range from 2.5% all the way up to 8%

Actually, there are many different types of Guinness which range from 2.5% all the way up to 8%
    True. I was referring to the traditional Guinness Stout which can be found just about everywhere here. The other Guinness products are relatively new additions in the U.S.

No, according to the official Guinness website and a US brewers site I visited, the only one brewed in Kanadia is Guiness Original.
    Isn't Guinness original, Guinness Stout? For years it was the only Guinness I ever saw over here.

No, Guinness Original (a.k.a Extra Stout) is the stuff that has only ever been available in bottles in pubs and elsewhere, it differs from the nitrogen-powered barrel Guinnessin that it is lightly carbonated, like I said early, Guinness Original Extra Stout is the slightly fizzy stuff. Now, when you say the only stuff you saw for years I don't know if you mean the Original in bottles or the creamy stuff on tap in pubs.
    Guinness original is closer to a proper porter in that it is "thinner", more refreshing and stronger.

No, Guinness Original (a.k.a Extra Stout) is the stuff that has only ever been available in bottles in pubs and elsewhere, it differs from the nitrogen-powered barrel Guinnessin that it is lightly carbonated, like I said early, Guinness Original Extra Stout is the slightly fizzy stuff. Now, when you say the only stuff you saw for years I don't know if you mean the Original in bottles or the creamy stuff on tap in pubs.
    Guinness original is closer to a proper porter in that it is "thinner", more refreshing and stronger.
    Ok, I guess I am not even sure what I am referring to. The nitro that we find in bars everywhere here is what I was referring too. I did not realize the beer in bottles was something different to be honest. Once Guinness came out with the nitro can you don't see the bottle around much over here anymore.

Oh yes, the 3 different bottled versions are very different and are as much of an acquired taste as a pint of normal draught in a pub.

SPECIAL EXPORT STOUT 8% - with the original label, before they started renewing everything in the 90s.

FOREIGN EXTRA STOUT 7.5%

EXTRA STOUT 4.2% to 5% depending on country (This is the original bottled stuff that now has ORIGINAL written on the new labels)

My introduction to Guiness was by the woman who would shortly become my wife. She showed me how you could write your name in the foam with a felt-tip pen, and, by the time you finished the beverage, it would still be readable.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    When I was in college, they were only allowed to sell beer up to a certain percentage of alcohol (like 5% or something?), so I remember making road trips into Canada a couple of times to buy cases of Brador, which was slightly higher. But now you can easily buy beer with 10% or more even, so when did they change the law? Or in NY State anyway?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm an Englishman living in South Boston and have been to the parade the last couple of years and had no problems, it's a lot of fun, I just make sure not to wear my England rugby shirt. I have heard that the NYC parade is better. Have fun.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

We didn't come over because of a death in the family a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When I was in college, they were only allowed to sell beer up to a certain percentage of alcohol (like 5% or something?), so I remember making road trips into Canada a couple of times to buy cases of Brador, which was slightly higher. But now you can easily buy beer with 10% or more even, so when did they change the law? Or in NY State anyway?
    The microbrew boon is what changed things, but I don’t know when exactly it happened. There are actually some places where beer over a certain percentage is considered liquor. I don’t know if it is still this way, but I was in Tennessee a couple of years ago and you could only buy beer up to a certain percentage alcohol in grocery / convenient stores. Over a certain percent you had to go to a liquor store to buy it. I found it very strange, but apparently that was the law in that particular place.

Oh right, yesterday was St. Paddy's. I swear I don't have a stitch of green clothing. Seriously., nuthin green in my wardrobe.

We didn't come over because of a death in the family a few weeks ago.
    Sorry for your loss.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Sorry for your loss.
    Thanks. It was my mum's brother Seamas. He was over 80, so he'd had a good innings and a good life. Buried in Westport in Co. Mayo.

Condolences Peter.