Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adele

Adele

The discussion about her in the Grammy thread reminded me of something I said in another forum that was challenged recently. There was a big, dumb venting session about "today's music" & I said we could at least agree on Adele, who at least doesn't need to rely on AutoTune. One person disagreed & said that she in fact, does use it. Just not as blatantly was people like Kanye, for ex.

Who can shed some light?

I suspect most every pop singer these days uses at least a touch.

That's what I would've said of about 99% of today's pop. I was hoping she'd be one of the rare exceptions.

I didn't hear a lot of excessive auto-tuning last night. The performances seemed more 'real' over all to me.

Definitely real last night.

I'm not that much into straight pop music but I think she is the real deal. She has a great voice and knows how to project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Definitely real last night.
    Yeah, that was unfortunate.
    I thought Brittany from Alabama Shakes really brought it vocally. I'm hot and cold with the band, but she can sing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw Adele about 8 years ago, on Jimmy Fallon (before she broke), and she sang Hometown Glory. I now love that song and her voice was clear on its own.

In modern pop you cannot escape from auto-tune no matter if you can sing in tune or not. If you do not use it on albums you do not sound "modern". To contemporary listeners your voice would sound artificial, thin and flat without auto-tuning.

Here is my favourite quote I bring up from time to time:

If you’re of the generation raised on technology-enabled perfect pitch, does your brain get rewired to expect it? So-called “supertasters” are people who are genetically more sensitive to bitter flavors than the rest of us, and therefore can’t appreciate delicious bitter things like IPAs and arugula. Is the Auto-Tune generation likewise more sensitive to off key-ness, and thus less able to appreciate it? Some troubling signs point to ‘yes.’

“I was listening to some young people in a studio a few years ago, and they were like, ‘I don’t think The Beatles were so good,’” says producer Eric Drew Feldman. They were discussing the song “Paperback Writer.” “They’re going, ‘They were so sloppy! The harmonies are so flat!”
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/39...ered-pop-music

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I suspect most every pop singer these days uses at least a touch.
    Which is just as well, but why the fuck is still being used as an effect? It was old in 1999 when Cher did it. A few years ago, it had a disastrous renaissance via Dubstep. Just today, I went to get groceries (yes, I buy them myself) while the store’s PA was blasting some cookie-cutter chart fodder and most of the songs had that grating pitch-shifting autotune effect. Please!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    In modern pop you cannot escape from auto-tune no matter if you can sing in tune or not. If you do not use it on albums you do not sound "modern". To contemporary listeners your voice would sound artificial, thin and flat without auto-tuning.

Here is my favourite quote I bring up from time to time:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/39...ered-pop-music

I'll def' read later. Looks interesting. Well, then I guess contemporary listeners would also probably call people like Aretha Franklin, James Brown or Karen Carpenter "sloppy & flat". Sorry, but if that's how they're measuring good vocals, I think they're missing the point & I'll stick with my singers.

I hated it on that Cher record 'Believe'...but in retrospect, there was no deception involved there. It was obvious that it was meant to be artificial sounding. Now, it's being used all the time in more deceptive ways. I think there's a tell tale 'perfection' there. Hard to believe people want music with no human frailty whatsoever.

Sound issues that wreaked havoc on the Grammy's last night will bring out the industry supporters of lip sync/auto tune for future broadcasts, I would assume.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I finally knowingly saw/heard Adele last night on the Grammies. I really didn't think there was anything special about her singing.

As I said in the Grammies thread, I thought Lady Gaga's Bowie tribute was pretty bad, but I liked Hollywood Vampires and the BB King tribute.

Alice Cooper (I mean the guy from Alice Cooper, who they all seemed to think was actually named Alice Cooper) was pretty cool, and I wondered if the camera people actually knew who Johnny Depp was on stage - they sure didn't give him much camera time, but he seemed to not at all want to be a center of attention, so kudos to him - I think he's pretty cool, even though I do still think of him as the Hispanic kid from 21 Jump Street.

Who the F is Cardi B? She was the musical guest on SNL last night. Has anyone heard of her before? I had never seen or heard of the host either, though I soon found out he’s in Black Panther.

What kind of name is Cardi? Is B her full last name?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who the F is Cardi B? She was the musical guest on SNL last night. Has anyone heard of her before? I had never seen or heard of the host either, though I soon found out he’s in Black Panther.

....and to think, you were doing so well until this.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It seems, at least to my ears, many female singers who arrived on the scene after Adele sound like Adele. I guess that would be the mark of an influential figure.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Ok, I see Cardi B (Bacardi?) has only been around for three years. I’m sure the kids love her. Not my kids, but some kids. Serves me right for watching SNL. I shouldn’t pay attention to the musical guest or host, my bad.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-08-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I saw her, um, "performance" last night too. I also had never heard of her. I'm not sure if it was the worst live spot I've ever seen, but it's definitely a contender.

^ Apparently she revealed a “baby bump,” whatever the hell that is.

Ok, I kid! Congrats to Cardi and the father.

EDIT: Apparently it’s possible the father is the rapper “Offset.” Hey, that’s my favorite printing technique!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 04-08-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw her, um, "performance" last night too. I also had never heard of her. I'm not sure if it was the worst live spot I've ever seen, but it's definitely a contender.
    Yup, I am with Jud in that I was totally unfamiliar with her. The performance was pretty bad IMO.

Saw Adele two years ago, good show, good vocals, great special effects that I have never seen before.

Wow! But I'm not surprised because heard her before, she has a few great studio recordings (covers) already:

cover of an Adele song
    https://youtu.be/vXVB954r0EI

"Rumor Has It" is a huge guilty pleasure of mine...love her voice.