Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Experience Hendrix: The Jimi Hendrix apprication thread.

The real question here is what other "apprication" societies are there? LOL!

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Coincidentally, this upcoming show is being advertised right now. It will be interesting to see what the attendances are like, and what the audience mix is.
    Am I the only one here who finds the whole idea silly?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Nope.

Inevitably you compare with the real thing and they flop.

Except Gil Evans big band.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised the foundation endorses this nonsense. (Then again, maybe not.)

I would much rather see a theatrical presentation of real, genuine concert footage.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Am I the only one here who finds the whole idea silly?
    Have you ever seen Randy Hansen in concert? He is much more than a Hendrix impersonator. He's an amazing guitarist and showman on his own merits.

There is only one Jimi Hendrix, and nobody can ever fill his shoes of course.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-04-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Have you ever seen Randy Hansen in concert? He is much more than a Hendrix impersonator. He's an amazing guitarist and showman on his own merits.
    You're joking, right? Sure, he certainly can play. But the guy even plays an upside-down Strat.

Now, maybe he does his own thing, when not impersonating Jimi, and should get credit for that. But, this is beyond silly.

Suspended
    I'm not enough of a Hendrix fan to want to attend this "tribute" show anyway, but some of you people's reactions puzzle me. Why is it OK, for example, for Steve Hackett or The Musical Box to play tributes to Genesis, but "silly" for this Hansen guy to perform Hendrix? It's not as if he's pretending to BE Hendrix, or competing with Hendrix - who, I believe, passed away some years ago. Or is there some rule that says only the great man himself was allowed to play his own music? That would be news to the Hendrix family, who apparently admire this guy and have endorsed him. Or doesn't their opinion count?

^You're really comparing Steve Hackett, a bona fide member of Genesis, to a tribute act?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^You're really comparing Steve Hackett, a bona fide member of Genesis, to a tribute act?
    So the rule is now that the performer has to be someone who was part of the original band? Is that it?

Obviously I am missing something here, but to me music is intended to be played and heard, not locked away in film vaults. If there is any criticism of Randy Hansen, surely it should be based on the quality of his musicianship, rather than the fact that he is not Jimi Hendrix.

^Steve Hackett was a part of the band he is 'paying tribute' to. I'm not judging tribute bands, but I think it's ludicrous and indeed somewhat offensive to compare Steve Hackett to them.

Hendrix never reproduced himself.
    Randy Hansen is good but he is here reproducing Machine Gun from the Band of Gypsys album almost to the letter.
    Nothing wrong with that as such - kudos - but this is not what Hendrix was about. He was an improviser / interpreter par excellence.
    The idea of copying his music is somehow a misunderstanding, and none of his 'interpreters' have ever reached the energy level he had when he was best.
    Thats why I think Gil Evans big band playing Hendrix is ok - its a different take.

^I did like the cover of 'Little Wing' by Sting, arranged by Gil Evans. I also thought the Derek and the Dominoes version was superb. Both are very different arrangements from the original.

Hendrix music happened in the moment.

Imagine someone wanting to copy Miles Davis: Live Evil or Agartha to the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    The real question here is what other "apprication" societies are there? LOL!

Bill
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Suspended
    appricate, v.t. to chemically treat a foodstuff in such a way as to make the flavour resemble that of apricots.
    apprication, n. such treatment.
    (from Cookipedia)

Cookipedia

I'm not enough of a Hendrix fan to want to attend this "tribute" show anyway, but some of you people's reactions puzzle me. Why is it OK, for example, for Steve Hackett or The Musical Box to play tributes to Genesis, but "silly" for this Hansen guy to perform Hendrix? It's not as if he's pretending to BE Hendrix, or competing with Hendrix - who, I believe, passed away some years ago. Or is there some rule that says only the great man himself was allowed to play his own music? That would be news to the Hendrix family, who apparently admire this guy and have endorsed him. Or doesn't their opinion count?
    Am I not entitled to my own opinion? Is anyone forcing you to agree with it? PERSONALLY, I find it silly that someone will go to the trouble of dressing like Jimi, singing like Jimi, playing the guitar upside-down like Jimi, and copying his playing note-for note. I would feel the same way if he were copying any other artist. I also don't get paying $100.00 to see Brit Floyd. Yes, they're incredibly talented. But, I, PERSONALLY, find it disingenuous and, in some way, selling their own talent short. And, it does seem TO ME like he's pretending to be Jimi on stage.

Get it?

And, I agree with the others that the comparison to Hackett is way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yum...appricate cookies!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Am I not entitled to my own opinion?
    Increasingly on here, it appears not.

^I did like the cover of 'Little Wing' by Sting, arranged by Gil Evans. I also thought the Derek and the Dominoes version was superb. Both are very different arrangements from the original.
    I never cared for the D&D version. I always found it to be over-dramatic. But, it certainly is original.

For several years the Randy Hansen Band featured Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding.

Edit: I guess it was a SHORT while, and it was Mitch Mitchell and Buddy Miles (two drummers? Must have been at different times). Although he has also played with Noel -- apparently also at a different time. Sorry.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-05-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Imagine someone wanting to copy Miles Davis: Live Evil or Agartha to the letter.
    It's happened.

You're joking, right? Sure, he certainly can play. But the guy even plays an upside-down Strat.

Now, maybe he does his own thing, when not impersonating Jimi, and should get credit for that. But, this is beyond silly.
    Hansen made his name around town as a Hendrix impersonator... I mean "tribute artist" ... but he eventually got tired of doing that and released an album of original stuff, only vaguely Hendrixesque.

It flopped of course

Randy Hansen, I've got three words for you: Frank Fuckin' Marino:

God, I've loved that version from the first time I heard it in the 70s.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

My favourite Hendrix blues recording is that filmed acoustic version of 'Hear My Train A Comin'...notable as he seldom if ever used acoustic guitar on his singles/albums.
    Hear My Train Coming is my fave Hendrix blues with Voodo Chile... Too bad the Rainbow Bridges film from which it's taken from is so disappointing

Well, I was always tempted to see Hansen in the 70's, but never got around to it, and I just saw him for the first time in this thread...

TBH, I'm very ill et ease after seeing ... TMB is already unsettling eough with their exploitation of Genesis all the way down to the little in-between tales ... But Hansen dressing up and doing everything to look like Jimi is yet another rung on the ladder... And the fact of his re-stringed left-handed Strat is almost laughable.... But he does quite a credible job, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Thats why I think Gil Evans big band playing Hendrix is ok - its a different take.
    Yeah, though I didn't think Evans did that good a job, I've got absolutely no uneasiness towards that project.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    For several years the Randy Hansen Band featured Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding.
    Was Hansen already all dressed up back when this happened?

I'm not surprised both Mitch and Noel agreed on this, but this doesn't make them "grander" in my yes

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Randy Hansen, I've got three words for you: Frank Fuckin' Marino:

God, I've loved that version from the first time I heard it in the 70s.
    absofuckinglutely
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.