Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prog T- shirts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Prog T- shirts

Ok, basically just a thread here discussing your favorite T-shirts, or any recommendations (or not) of some proggy shirts. I have been contemplating picking up a few new ones - namely a Henry Cow shirt on Amazon that is made by Old Skool Hooligans - but its hard to judge what type of quality these are?

If you have picked up some great shirts (either online or at shows), please tell us about it. A few of my most prized possessions shirt-wise are:

1) Anglagard - Black with a white mellotron in the middle. Classic - I love this thing. NF 2003.

2) Mike Keneally/Beer for Dolphins - Red with the upside down question mark/cat. Bought this on the Sluggo tour in NYC. A bit snug, but that's not the shirts fault.

3) NEARfest 2003 - neon green with the Roger Dean Lizard. I love this shirt and its just super quality - looks amazing still after 13 or so years.

4) Cardiacs - black with the classic 'Little Man' logo in white. Runs a bit small, but my favorite article of clothing, period.

What says thee?

Too many to list.

They seem to eventually wind up in that vortex that socks go into in the laundry though and vanish though! So any fave is only one for a few years and then, POOF!

I've reached a point too where I'd rather wear a thinner tee with no art on it rather than the concert tee, though I still wear them occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Too many to list.

They seem to eventually wind up in that vortex that socks go into in the laundry though and vanish though! So any fave is only one for a few years and then, POOF!

I've reached a point too where I'd rather wear a thinner tee with no art on it over the concert tee, though I still wear them occasionally....
    Don't put them on the dryer - EVER!!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Don't put them on the dryer - EVER!!
    Well, you have to get preshrunk and really find a size that fits you well and then you will be OK.

I sell screen printed tees for a living so I've seen and tried them all.

When I see them selling for 35+ bucks at a show I have to laugh. Also, I really don't dig shirts with a lot of layers of ink on them. When it feels like a sweaty patch on your chest it's way too much.

Jefferson James
    When I see them selling for 35+ bucks at a show I have to laugh.
    Sean, what are you laughing about, that the band needs to ask a fortune for apparel to make up for the loss of CD sales, touring costs, etc.?

Everyone knows bands make their money via touring and merch. What is a reasonable price for a medium quality band t-shirt? I would think $10-$15 but, like you, I have seen t-shirts priced ridiculously high and it's always the same reason: because no one is buying their musical offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Sean, what are you laughing about, that the band needs to ask a fortune for apparel to make up for the loss of CD sales, touring costs, etc.?

Everyone knows bands make their money via touring and merch. What is a reasonable price for a medium quality band t-shirt? I would think $10-$15 but, like you, I have seen t-shirts priced ridiculously high and it's always the same reason: because no one is buying their musical offerings.
    I'd say you are correct, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post

Don't forget, that at theater and arena shows and some clubs, the venue takes a 15% or 20% cut of merch sales for the privilege of letting the artist set up shop. If the artist is remitting sales tax, that is another factor in pricing. Also, here in Vancouver BC, when bands bring shirts over the border, they get hit with duty fees.
    I remember tomorrow

Too many to list.

Well, the "District 97 with John Wetton and The Music Of King Crimson" is the best t-shirt, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Well, the "District 97 with John Wetton and The Music Of King Crimson" is the best t-shirt, right?
    It gets my vote!

Oh man, I have tons.

Progfest '95 shirt

2 Landberks (same shirt)

2 label promo shirts for Nektar 'Recycled' that are fucking awesome, and 2 Nektar tour shirts

ELP 1st tour with a big hole in the front

10cc 1st album promo shirt

Rush Farewell To Kings tour shirt (yes, I bought at the show)

Kraftwerk Man Machine German promo shirt

echolyn 1st album, Suffocating, and ATW shirts

Numerous Progday shirts, including a "Security" one for one year....there's only like 5 of them

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Rush Farewell To Kings tour shirt (yes, I bought at the show)
    A nearly 40 year old t-shirt? You must have never worn it. Tell the truth, you bought it and had it vacuum sealed. Or maybe frozen in liquid nitrogen?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When I bought shirts years ago I should have anticipated middle age spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When I bought shirts years ago I should have anticipated middle age spread.
    I hear ya! I usually order a size up, BUT you can actually stretch them before you put them on and gain about a 1/2 a size. I do that with most of my Larges now. Don't get carried away and rip it though!

Too many to list.
    And how!

The last prog related shirt I bought was at ProgDay last year. It's not for a specific band. It just says in big letters PROG LIVES MATTER.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Current favorites

Univers Zero Heresie (Cuneiform)
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores (psychedelic cat)
    Secret Chiefs 3 (2013)
    Anglagard - Viljans Oga (from NF12)
    RIO Festival - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Cuneifest 2011
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Current favorites

Univers Zero Heresie (Cuneiform)
    Alec K Redfearn & The Eyesores (psychedelic cat)
    Secret Chiefs 3 (2013)
    Anglagard - Viljans Oga (from NF12)
    RIO Festival - Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Cuneifest 2011
    Sweet! You are the epitome of prognerd fashion

Oh, I got me old Camel Dust and Dreams t-shirt from 1992 still. Don't dare to wash it

I like the Hackett Genesis Revisited shirt I got a little over a year ago. It has the stock part of his Gibson Les Paul with his name on it. I don't particularly care for black t-shirts and most concert shirts are black so I skip them. This one isn't solid black so I grabbed it. I also quite liked the Tab in the Ocean shirt I was able to pick up at a Nektar concert (Nearfest 2002 or maybe the US tour they did a couple of years later).

Anyone know a good source for buying on-line prog shirts by more obscure bands like VdGG or older album cover-like shirts like Lamb or Court of Crimson King?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post

Anyone know a good source for buying on-line prog shirts by more obscure bands like VdGG or older album cover-like shirts like Lamb or Court of Crimson King?

http://www.oldskoolhooligans.com/cul...-t-shirts.html

Good quality, interesting selection, OK prices.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I like the Hackett Genesis Revisited shirt I got a little over a year ago. It has the stock part of his Gibson Les Paul with his name on it. I don't particularly care for black t-shirts and most concert shirts are black so I skip them. This one isn't solid black so I grabbed it. I also quite liked the Tab in the Ocean shirt I was able to pick up at a Nektar concert (Nearfest 2002 or maybe the US tour they did a couple of years later).

ITCOTCK is available from DGM:

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/t-shirts-c13.aspx

They were selling them at the concerts last year, but I went for the Red 'power meter' shirt instead, even my wife approves of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    S'alright, but I'd rather have the Hatfield shirt that Liam Magill from Syd Arthur often wears. It looks vintage but I read somewhere that it was homemade (it's his fave band apparently). You can half-glimpse it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87muzXnJkPw

I only wear tour / festival shirts of shows I have actually seen. I have a ton of them......

Last few purchases I've made. Ordered all in 2XL or 3XL size to allow for shrinkage:

Best Gentle Giant shirt I've seen. Made in Italy. Good quality: http://www.ebay.it/itm/Gentle-Giant-.../271782549187?

Spock's Beard: http://t4merch.com/spocks-beard-harley-black-tee/

Genesis: http://bestrocktshirts.com/site/inde...1890&Itemid=32

Marillion: http://bestrocktshirts.com/site/inde...=124&Itemid=32

Fish: http://shop.fishheads.club/product/f...t-shirt-black/