Thread: Lightfoot/Chapin

Lightfoot/Chapin

Was listening to Taxi and Edmund Fitzgerald and I realized how much of an influence these two songs have had on me from a music and prog aspect. The subject matter in both songs aren't earth shaking but the musical environment they provide is stark. They seem related but not related at the same time. I'm thinking that for me at least, it seems to be the story telling feel of things. I'm sure that we all have a song or two that's separate from everything else we've heard. These two efforts do it for me. I sometimes wonder though how Gordon feels about the synth sections EM offers. Seems rather different for him. Anyone else care for these two songs and the artist in general?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Was listening to Taxi and Edmund Fitzgerald and I realized how much of an influence these two songs have had on me from a music and prog aspect. The subject matter in both songs aren't earth shaking but the musical environment they provide is stark. They seem related but not related at the same time. I'm thinking that for me at least, it seems to be the story telling feel of things. I'm sure that we all have a song or two that's separate from everything else we've heard. These two efforts do it for me. I sometimes wonder though how Gordon feels about the synth sections EM offers. Seems rather different for him. Anyone else care for these two songs and the artist in general?
    I am a casual fan of Lightfoot. Living in Michigan "Edmund Fitzgerald" was practically the state song here for a while. The own a couple of his late 60's folk albums and a "best of" album, and pull them out from time to time. Saw him a year or so ago too. Physically he does not look in very good shape, and his voice is a shadow of what it once was, but he put on an pleasing show.

Suspended
    I like both these guys, though I only own one Chapin album (Heads and Tales) and no Lightfoot. I used to have Endless Wire on vinyl.

A problem with Gordon is you are spoiled for choice. I'm not sure he had any dud albums.

Chapin could be kind of corny at times but his best songs are outstanding. for example the opening two tracks on Verities and Balderdash, "Cat's In the Cradle" and "I Wanna Learn a Love Song". (The rest of the album is not that great.) From Heads and tales there is the aforementioned "Taxi", "Greyhound", and the epic "Dogtown".

Both are/were huge talents. I'm more familiar with Chapin's work, but am a big fan of storytelling through song. The only complaint I have is some of his choices. I really don't like the middle part of "Taxi" with the female voice. But that line, "I fly soooo high ... when I'm stoned" is really effective.

My older brother actually gave Harry his very first light show. Back in the early 70s, my bro attended Indiana University of PA and Harry came to play. He gave him some subtle lights, which Harry liked so much, he offered him a job. My bro decided to stick to his schooling.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Both are/were huge talents. I'm more familiar with Chapin's work, but am a big fan of storytelling through song. The only complaint I have is some of his choices. I really don't like the middle part of "Taxi" with the female voice. But that line, "I fly soooo high ... when I'm stoned" is really effective.

My older brother actually gave Harry his very first light show. Back in the early 70s, my bro attended Indiana University of PA and Harry came to play. He gave him some subtle lights, which Harry liked so much, he offered him a job. My bro decided to stick to his schooling.
    Wow, that's a story in itself. Careers get started like that. I never knew that there was so much in fighting in the Chapin family as to who got the rights to his music. Taxi was always one of those, " hey mom, there's something wrong with this song. It doesn't sound like the rest of the music we play", different type things I couldn't get enough of.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am a casual fan of Lightfoot. Living in Michigan "Edmund Fitzgerald" was practically the state song here for a while. The own a couple of his late 60's folk albums and a "best of" album, and pull them out from time to time. Saw him a year or so ago too. Physically he does not look in very good shape, and his voice is a shadow of what it once was, but he put on an pleasing show.
    Ya, he was here not that long ago and everyone said the same thing. I just love the sound of his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I like both these guys, though I only own one Chapin album (Heads and Tales) and no Lightfoot. I used to have Endless Wire on vinyl.

A problem with Gordon is you are spoiled for choice. I'm not sure he had any dud albums.

Chapin could be kind of corny at times but his best songs are outstanding. for example the opening two tracks on Verities and Balderdash, "Cat's In the Cradle" and "I Wanna Learn a Love Song". (The rest of the album is not that great.) From Heads and tales there is the aforementioned "Taxi", "Greyhound", and the epic "Dogtown".
    Right. Heads and Tales is a fine album.

I like Chapin ("Taxi" & "Cradle" are stunning), but have loved GL since the 60s without interruption, and plan on seeing (a shell of, but still worth it for me) him again in May here. IMHO he qualifies as "they broke the mold" material. His beautiful voice (more then than now) has always been overshadowed by his writing, and even if he had never recorded an album (I think he's made close to 30) he would be making a living on the royalties from Peter, Paul & Mary, Anne Murray, Judy Collins, Ian & Sylvia, The King & countless others recording his songs.

Fanboy gush over.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Big fan of Lightfoot, and big fan of "Taxi". I would say that the quality of GL's albums dropped off after, say, "Cold on the Shoulder"; instead of seven or eight great tracks per LP, it was down to two or three with a lot of filler. There's a huge number of wonderful songs in his discography that were never hits. Agree that the voice is totally shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw him a year or so ago too. Physically he does not look in very good shape, and his voice is a shadow of what it once was, but he put on an pleasing show.
    Likewise.. saw him around the same time.... he's aged considerably.. voice wasn't very strong either..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Likewise.. saw him around the same time.... he's aged considerably.. voice wasn't very strong either..
    There was a rumour - maybe mentioned elsewhere on PE - that he wasn't very financial, maybe one of the many stories of artists being screwed by managers or executives, and that touring was something he was forced to do to pay the bills. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

I enjoy Lightfoot's music. As for Chapin, "Cat's In The Cradle" is nice but the few other songs of his I've heard were on the longwinded and preachy side so I haven't listened to more. Maybe I heard the wrong stuff.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I As for Chapin, "Cat's In The Cradle" is nice but the few other songs of his I've heard were on the longwinded and preachy side so I haven't listened to more. Maybe I heard the wrong stuff.
    Possibly. But you are right, he could be "preachy" at times. You do have to cherry-pick.

I really like Gordons deeper tracks (What some call filler) Having lived in Canada, I have a warm regard for the place, and Nothing says Canada like Gordon singing about railroads, and vast stretches of open space, or cold winter nights like he does. - Oh and getting drunk and gambling away your soul....

It's hit and miss with both of them for me but I've always liked Harry Chapin a bit more. I think Verities and Balderdash is an excellent album. Gordon Lightfoot's song "The Last Time I Saw Her" is just incredible, brings a lump to my throat every time I hear it.

I always loved GL, and TWotEF by is as close to prog as a folk rocker could get, IMO, and the pedal steel in this song is virtually orchestrated. I always liked Taxi by Chapin and think it's his high watermark, but very few songs by him that followed held my attention.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Chapin without question for me. Taxi si such a wonderfully sweet song. I love Chapin, saw him around cats in the cradle, a spectacular show. I have a lot of his vinyl Sorely missed. Not so much a fan of Lightfoot.

Suspended
    I never saw either artist perform, of course, but somehow I would expect Chapin to be the better experience live.

I recall long ago hearing a live rendition of "I Wanna Learn a Love Song", in which the words "lazy" and "crazy" were replaced, respectively, by "scrawny" and "horny". I often wondered if that was the original lyric, and if he changed it for the album version at the behest of the record company. "Scrawny" and "horny" fit much better with the rest of the verse.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've always been more of a fan of Lightfoot. Saw him in concert in 1979. I have nothing against Chapin. The few songs I heard by him seemed maudlin. But I'm sure he had better than the ones that oversaturated radio years ago. One day I will look into his work more thoroughly.
    Frog in boiling water

I am a bigger fan of Chapin than Lightfoot.

With Chapin, I enjoy so many songs. I have bullied my children into agreeing to sing Circle at my funeral. They agreed, but I am sure they won't. I know he gets a little pigeon holed with Taxi and Cats in the Cradle, but so many of his songs are so good. Circle, W.O.L.D., Six String Symphony (what the Smother's Brothers version of this and laugh!!!), 10,000 Pounds of Bananas, Story of a Life. A lot of great songs for a man who gave so much to the world with his World Hunger Year efforts.

For Lightfoot, he has a few songs I love, and I should probably give his other songs a listen to see if there are more. Edmund Fitzgerald, If You Could Read My Mind, Carefree Highway, Rainy Day People and even Sundown are excellent. My brother always love Lightfoot.