Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remembering Queen

I just know every time one sees the words "based on a true story" attached to a movie, you have to take it with a grain of salt (
    I just read an article about this movie coming out about a search for a lost civilization in South America. It's based on a book that took a ridiculous amount of liberties/exaggerations with the real story and double-downs on it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

What Steve Sly said many posts ago.

Queen I gets the royal treatment.

https://www.queenonline.com/news/pre...out-october-25

This 6CD + vinyl release includes a remix, extra tracks, studio outtakes, instrumental mixes (!), the 1971-72 De Lane Lea demos, BBC sessions, an excerpt from Queen's first concert in 1970 (before John Deacon joined)...

The 2CD edition consists of the 2024 remix + outtakes.

Last edited by unclemeat; 4 Days Ago at 02:06 PM.

Cool. Nice video. They looked so rock 'n' roll with the long hair.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Greatest debut opening LP side ever?

Their debut might be their album I still like best, edging out by a hair their second album, and Jazz.
    Seems like every track on it was a classic.

Not sure I need either the 2 or 6 disc affair, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A question to those familiar with the sound of the first album : what is your gut reaction to this new mix ?
    There is much debate about it online, and I'd like to hear your opinion, provided you do not try to find out beforehand what the fuss is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Greatest debut opening LP side ever?
    Gotta go with Ambrosia's first there.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    A question to those familiar with the sound of the first album : what is your gut reaction to this new mix ?
    There is much debate about it online, and I'd like to hear your opinion, provided you do not try to find out beforehand what the fuss is all about.
    I listened to a bit of the single posed in the OP. It sounds very "clean," maybe too clean. I'd have to listen to more of the songs to really make up my mind, but this is a radical departure from the sound of the record as I've known it. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd listen to this a lot in preference to the version I already have in the Crown Jewels box. I'm curious about the additional material on the 2CD set, but I'd need to see a tracklist and maybe hear some samples to know if this is something I really need to own.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I listened to a bit of the single posed in the OP. It sounds very "clean," maybe too clean. I'd have to listen to more of the songs to really make up my mind, but this is a radical departure from the sound of the record as I've known it. It's interesting, but I'm not sure I'd listen to this a lot in preference to the version I already have in the Crown Jewels box. I'm curious about the additional material on the 2CD set, but I'd need to see a tracklist and maybe hear some samples to know if this is something I really need to own.

Bill

^This Too clean for me. That said, I'd like to hear Queen II. I can't find an excellent CD version of Queen II.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    ^This Too clean for me. That said, I'd like to hear Queen II. I can't find an excellent CD version of Queen II.
    I've always been really happy with the Crown Jewels box. Sounds great to me and I absolutely love the packaging. I'm not sure if that's still available at a reasonable price or if those mixes have been released on individual CDs.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    I can't find an excellent CD version of Queen II.
    The 2011 remasters are all fine. Regardless, Queen II can't sound ''good'' by today's standards because of it's inherent toomuchness.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 3 Days Ago at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    I don't like it at all. Polished to death and too loud. You can't make songs recorded 50 odd years ago sound 'modern' and not lose something. This proves it.

Some of Giles Martin's Beatles remixes are controversial, which is fair, but I'm also glad he's never done anything like this.

As for Queen II, the 2011 remaster was pretty good I thought. Never going to be 'audiophile' but it was somewhat clearer.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I've always been really happy with the Crown Jewels box. Sounds great to me and I absolutely love the packaging. I'm not sure if that's still available at a reasonable price or if those mixes have been released on individual CDs.

Bill

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    I have the Crown Jewels box as well and those discs sound great

Sent from my NE2217 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I have posted the single remix above (#78). I am sceptical about the use of delay on the voice - an anachronism, perhaps ? There seems to be a little too much fairy dust on it.
    But here's the album remix. It is noticeably drier. Queen has used this drum-heavy approach on ''She makes me'', back in 1974.

Last edited by unclemeat; 54 Minutes Ago at 06:41 AM.

I will enjoy hearing it and will just treat it as an alternative experience, not surpassing or replacing the original.

It's just the "this is the way we always wanted the album to sound " bollocks, sorry, hyperbole, which sees my eyebrows arching so far they virtually leave my head.

And using auto tune on Freddie, rewriting history like that? Much like the awful revisionism in their movie, there just isn't any need.

Question though.

Do the multitracks for Q2 still exist? Is it even possible to do anything with it? Would they gave to use Peter Jackson/Beatles style demixing?