Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: The RIP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    He was also on the dating game the year before in 1979 but he didn't win the date.
    I saw a clip of this, and someone in the comments mentioned that Pee Wee was on the show three times and actually did win once. (The other two bachelors were the epitome of late-'70s sleaze, all exposed chest hair and gold medallions, and kinda rapey answers. The bachelorette was wearing remarkably little: her bottom was something between neon green hot pants and a bikini bottom, which someone in the comments dubbed a "disco diaper.")
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    which someone in the comments dubbed a "disco diaper.")
    I wonder if Pee Wee had to change it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    RIP William Friedkin
    You win this round, Pazuzu
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I saw a clip of this, and someone in the comments mentioned that Pee Wee was on the show three times and actually did win once. (The other two bachelors were the epitome of late-'70s sleaze, all exposed chest hair and gold medallions, and kinda rapey answers. The bachelorette was wearing remarkably little: her bottom was something between neon green hot pants and a bikini bottom, which someone in the comments dubbed a "disco diaper.")
    The clip I saw of Pee Wee on that show had one guy with the open shirt like you mention(I call it the Larry from three's company look). I guess that was the thing back then. Anyway, somewhere around the same general time period on that show (late 70s) there was a guy who was convicted serial killer who was actually picked by the female contestant. She didn't go out with him because he seemed too creepy (I guess somehow his answers were clever enough though). So what you said makes sense considering this serial killer was actually on the show and was successful(up to a point). Weird.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

RIP William Friedkin. Wasn't Peter Gabriel supposed to collaborate with him at some point? I think while he was still with Genesis. I think it fell through though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    RIP William Friedkin. Wasn't Peter Gabriel supposed to collaborate with him at some point? I think while he was still with Genesis. I think it fell through though.
    Yes, that's been written on extensively.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    That's sad. He made a lot of great music.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    You win this round, Pazuzu
    [emoji106]
    RIP
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    RIP William Friedkin. The Exorcist was a fantastic movie as was many of his movies (French Connection 1 & 2, To Live And Die in LA, Rules of Engagement to name a few). So great was his direction and communication with his actors that he was able to get Linda Blair an Oscar nomination; that alone should speak for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    RIP William Friedkin. The Exorcist was a fantastic movie as was many of his movies (French Connection 1 & 2, To Live And Die in LA, Rules of Engagement to name a few). So great was his direction and communication with his actors that he was able to get Linda Blair an Oscar nomination; that alone should speak for itself.
    Agreed on all counts (except he didn't direct French Connection 2). I'll also throw in Sorcerer, one of his best films, and his remake of Twelve Angry Men.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP Friedkin! French Connection is easily a top 10 film for me. Exorcist is right up there too.

Ember
    https://bestclassicbands.com/david-l...ituary-8-8-23/

David LaFlamme, of It’s a Beautiful Day (“White Bird”), dies at age 82.

RIP.

I was in a band long ago that featured a great violinist, so of course we covered “White Bird” at nearly every gig. It’s burned into my brain. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

The singer-songwriter Sixto Rodriguez, who starred in the Oscar-winning documentary Searching for Sugarman, has died. Rodriguez was best known for his Dylanesque album Cold Fact, recorded in 1970. It bombed in the US and Europe and Rodriguez had to work on building sites around his home town of Detroit to make ends meet. Unknown to him, though, Cold Fact had gained cult status in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and tours there in the late 1990s were sell-outs. It’s a great movie.

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Jazz cellist Tristan Honsinger (ICP Orchestra, Cecil Taylor, etc.) died on Saturday, a couple months shy of his 74th birthday.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Seeing reports that Robbie Robertson has passed away.

https://variety.com/2023/music/news/...nd-1235692172/

Today we add Robbie Robertson to this list. Really sad day for the Canadian rock music.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This is worth of a thread on the main board. Done. Saddened.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post

Fyi, a really good fun cover of this song above was posted in main forum here a few years ago in its thread by someone else, hence my picking that particular song, since the forum "knew that song". Here's that old URL again fyi: (song sort of starts at 3:45) https://youtu.be/Hk7YLYOI7Ws

Figured should also point out that connection to the old post

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Agreed on all counts (except he didn't direct French Connection 2). I'll also throw in Sorcerer, one of his best films, and his remake of Twelve Angry Men.
    I'll second that, but I'll have to see Twelve Angry Men. Somehow I never got around to watching it. Big fan of Tangerine Dream's score for Sorcerer too. Friedkin had said if he knew of TD at the time, he would have had them score the Exorcist

RIP David LaFlamme; listened to the first 2 albums last night after seeing the news here. Every time I listen to that first album I like it more, and the second album is good, too.

RIP Bernie Marsden (Whitesnake)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    RIP to a very fine player
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Rest In Peace Bernie, I'll never forget that summer night at Hammersmith Odeon in 1981 with the Coverdale-Lord-Moody-Marsden-Murray-Paice line up - they took the roof off. And I missed the last train..