Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: The RIP Thread

Announced on his Twitter account:

It is with sad and heavy hearts that we convey to you the loss of internationally renowned, 6 time Grammy Award-winning, saxophonist, David Sanborn. Mr. Sanborn passed Sunday afternoon, May 12th, after an extended battle with prostate cancer with complications.

R.I.P. David. I was a big fan of his, especially in the 80s when he was all over the smooth jazz scene. The album he released with Bob James is classic imho.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but I guess some folks will be interested that French guitarist Sylvain Luc died on March 13 this year at the young age of 58. Most people will know him from his work with Didier Lockwood.
    For a list of his work, see https://www.discogs.com/artist/575428-Sylvain-Luc

A article on his death: https://couleursjazz.fr/farewell-sylvain-luc/

Cyril Wecht died.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Cyril Wecht died.
    That sucks. He did a lot of great work debunking the Warren Commission report.

Also sad to hear about David Sanborn. I think he played at Woodstock with Paul Butterfield, in addition to his better-known performances.

Sorry to read about David Sanborn. One of the more prog-related tracks where he appeared was "Zen Archer" from Todd Rundgren's A Wizard/A True Star.

Having a dad who was always a pretty big jazz fan (especially of the more poppy and almost smooth jazz variety at times) there's no way I couldn't know about David Sanborn even at a younger age. He wasn't the only one doing what he did but I think he's more well known (and possibly better) than most of the others. RIP David Sanborn.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Johnny Barbata, drummer for The Turtles, CSN, Jefferson Starship, and others, passed at 79 on May 8. No cause given.

"He plays his ass off"!!! (CSNY - 4 Way Street)

RIP Johnny
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

RIP to Roger Corman, Barbata, & Sanborn
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Looks like Teddy Lasry (ex-Magma, etc.) has passed too
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Bummer. RIP Teddy.

The last surviving MC5 member, drummer Dennis Thompson, passed on May 9 "after a series of medical issues". He was 75.
    Article says he was looking forward to going home to recover with his kitty. Details like that really get me.
    RIP Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I had to look at my album by exmagma from 1974 just to make sure he wasn't on it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I had to look at my album by exmagma from 1974 just to make sure he wasn't on it.
    Yeah, Exmagma and ex-Magma are two different things.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Yeah, Exmagma and ex-Magma are two different things.
    I think Ed forgot to add a smiley

Teddy apparently wrote this one too

What a palette of great future actors in that clergy (Sereau, Bacri, Giraud) around the bishop, not to mention the guy in white Jean Yane
    Last edited by Trane; 05-15-2024 at 01:20 PM.

RIP Dabney Coleman 92yo.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    RIP Dabney Coleman 92yo.
    RIP. I remember him.

RIP John Hawken (Strawbs and Renaissance)

https://dmme.net/john-hawken-passed-away/
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    RIP John Hawken (Strawbs and Renaissance)

https://dmme.net/john-hawken-passed-away/
    Sad news. Didn't he also play with Illusion? That was basicly Renaissance Mark I with a different drummer, the original switched to guitar and percussion and an extra guitar-player.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sad news. Didn't he also play with Illusion? That was basicly Renaissance Mark I with a different drummer, the original switched to guitar and percussion and an extra guitar-player.
    Keith Relf (RIP in 75 from electrocution while playing for Armageddon) was also missing

Yup, Hawken played the better Renaissance (IMHO), Illusion and the lesser 70's era of Strawbs (not the Wakeman/Weaver era), plus a bunch of shorter adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    RIP Jimmy Hastings(1938-2024).Master of sax and flute,his playing graced numerous Canterbury and related musics.He also released albums of 'straight ahead' modern jazz.

Always tasteful and brimming with lyricism and ideas.He will be missed.
    This made me sad, I'm a couple of months late hearing this but I just happened to be enjoying Radiohead's Amnesiac this past week and that last track especially where Jimmy adds clarinet to great affect. Love his Canterbury work.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Ivan Boesky, inside trader and apparently the model for Gordon Gekko, has passed away at the age of 87.

In case anybody cared.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ivan Boesky, inside trader and apparently the model for Gordon Gekko, has passed away at the age of 87.

In case anybody cared.
    When I was in college in one of my business classes we had to watch the movie Wall Street and then write a paper on ethics in business. Gordon Gekko was somewhat based on Boesky.