Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast

Thread: The RIP Thread

^

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    L.A. Lakers' Jerry West (1938-2024). Rest in peace.

Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    RIP Françoise Hardy
    Some years ago, when I read a couple if biographies on Nick Drake I discovered Françoise Hardy and Nick Drake met a few times. There was even talk about an album from Hardy with Nick Drake's songs.
    See also this UNCUT-interview with Françoise Hardy: https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/fra...-young-105862/

While she was working with Tuca, Hardy was also on the lookout for other musicians to collaborate with. One songwriter that interested her was Nick Drake. “He had read how enthusiastic I was about one of his albums,” Hardy explains, “and so he came to the studio where I was recording in London, and he sat in the corner, almost hidden, and he never said one word. I was so full of admiration for his work, so I didn’t dare to say anything, and he didn’t dare to say anything [laughs].”

“Joe Boyd came up with this brilliant idea that Nick was going to write an album of songs for Françoise,” says producer and arranger Tony Cox. “I was going to produce it. So we travelled over to Paris – it was all pretty weird because Nick was a painfully shy bloke. Françoise is incredibly neurotic. She won’t do things like shaking hands, because she’s scared of catching germs from people.”

The Drake collaboration never happened, but Cox was keen to work with Hardy regardless. So, in late 1971, the singer travelled once again to London, this time to Chelsea’s Sound Techniques, to record a full album with Cox and a crack team of British folk-rockers, including Richard Thompson and Pat Donaldson.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Some years ago, when I read a couple if biographies on Nick Drake I discovered Françoise Hardy and Nick Drake met a few times. There was even talk about an album from Hardy with Nick Drake's songs.
    See also this UNCUT-interview with Françoise Hardy: https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/fra...-young-105862/
    Unfortunately this never happened, but she did collaborated with Iggy Pop and they recorded a song together on her "Clair-Obscur" album.

RIP Jerry West.

Not a musician but a fellow prog fan, Kurt Matson (known as NorCal Kurt on the aural moon website) recently passed away. I knew him from Rosfest and aural moon. I didn't know him super well but he seemed like a good guy. RIP Kurt.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Knew him from ProgDay, was acgood guy. RIP
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Not a musician but a fellow prog fan, Kurt Matson (known as NorCal Kurt on the aural moon website) recently passed away. I knew him from Rosfest and aural moon. I didn't know him super well but he seemed like a good guy. RIP Kurt.
    He was real good friends with Rick Dashiell.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

He was a member here too, though I hadn't seen him post in a long time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I did not know him super well either, but had met him at various prog fests over the years. Really nice guy.

Big loss for rock, Suzi Quatro has passed. RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khgw6lJWupA

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

Funny that this is the only source of this info....posted weeks ago......Wikipedia still lists her as alive.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Funny that this is the only source of this info....posted weeks ago......Wikipedia still lists her as alive.
    I wonder about that as well.

I never met him, but I believe he lived in Vermont about a two-hour drive away from me if I'm thinking of the right person. By all accounts he was a really nice guy.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

Fake news. That’s a YT site devoted to creating celebrity death hoaxes.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I never met him, but I believe he lived in Vermont about a two-hour drive away from me if I'm thinking of the right person. By all accounts he was a really nice guy.
    He lived in California (hence the name) but later (in the past six years or so) moved somewhere in New England but I'm not sure exactly where (possibly Vermont) so that could be him.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Fake news. That’s a YT site devoted to creating celebrity death hoaxes.
    Yeah, there's at least one other YT channel that does that crap. Whoever creates these things are real scum imo.

He lived in California (hence the name) but later (in the past six years or so) moved somewhere in New England but I'm not sure exactly where (possibly Vermont) so that could be him.
    Yep, that's the guy. Kurt was a super nice guy and I missed him after he moved from CA to VT. RIP.

I did not know Kurt by name but if l saw a picture l am sure l would recognize him. I knew most of the Progday folks, and l am always sad to hear of the loss of a fellow Progday traveller.
    RIP Kurt.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    RIP to the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    RIP to the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays.
    Aw man, that sucks. I got to see him play once when l was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    I did not know Kurt by name but if l saw a picture l am sure l would recognize him. I knew most of the Progday folks, and l am always sad to hear of the loss of a fellow Progday traveller.
    RIP Kurt.
    Not sure how many times he attended ProgDay, but I know he was there for some of them. I am guessing you would recognize him.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    RIP Kurt.
    Here's a picture of Kurt. The shirt he is wearing is from a little festival he himself put together back in 2013 when he still lived in the Bay Area. He organized a few shows that I knew of.
    Kurt.jpg