Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The RIP Thread

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Rick Dashiell passed today. Big friend of the prog scene. There's going to be a tribute event next Saturday at Orion Studios in Baltimore.
    Make sure the Orion details are posted somewhere, I will make time for that.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Frog in boiling water

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Make sure the Orion details are posted somewhere, I will make time for that.
    It's on Facebook but there's not an official event with much detail. Mike P posted initially:

"On Saturday night, January 21st, Orion Studios presents an evening celebrating the remarkable Mr. Dashiell!"

And this comment was added as well from Mike (obviously not from the last few days):

"In the 27 year history of the Orion Showcases there just has not been a bigger supporter of our shows as well as the progressive music scene in Baltimore other than Rick Dashiell. We'll have musical guests The Blacklight Orchestra on the stage (with possibility of an opening act), a table full of tasty if only marginally nutritious foods. As usual the Orion Fridge will be stocked full of stinky sock beers, and the backroom bubblers will be blazing. But absolutely most of all, the Rickster will be here to roast and toast! The show is absolutely free. If you know Rick and love and appreciate him as we do you will want to be here - hope you can make it!"

That's all I really know, but it's enough. Mostly going to pay tribute and respects.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Thanks John.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rick was a lovely guy and will be much missed, I had many chats with him at ProgDay over the years and at other events we both showed up at. RIP.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Rick was a lovely guy and will be much missed, I had many chats with him at ProgDay over the years and at other events we both showed up at. RIP.
    Agreed. He wasn't a member on here though was he? Or if he was he didn't post much.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Agreed. He wasn't a member on here though was he? Or if he was he didn't post much.
    Rick and Roll
    Last Activity
    08-14-2014
    -- Aristotle

I know he has his thread, as he should, but just to say I can't believe he's gone. It's like losing Chris Squire and David Bowie.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP actor Lance Kerwin!

How many after-school specials and other ‘70s shows did we see him in?! This came out of the blue.

https://ew.com/tv/lance-kerwin-dead-...edium=news_tab

Also, no cause of death given, and it seems as though it may have been suicide. That seems to be on the rise these days. Another thing, he apparently was a born-again Christian, and maybe a minister. Funny, because one of the episodes of “James at 15/16” I best remember was when he joins some generic cult, and is about to donate all his possessions to the cult. Someone talks sense to him.

The other one I remember is when some rich uncle hires a high-priced call-girl so James can lose his virginity. Of course, he does the right thing (?!) and lets her down gently. I’m pretty sure I would have done the wrong thing.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-26-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Dean Daughtry, original keyboard player for Atlanta Rhythm Section has died. He was the last original member touring with the band when I saw them about five years ago. Rodney Justo was out after a throat operation at the time. He was the original vocalist and still touring with ARS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RIP actor Lance Kerwin!

one of the episodes of “James at 15/16” I best remember was when he joins some generic cult, and is about to donate all his possessions to the cult.
    I guess a generic cult would be led by a messianic figure who demands that you hand over all of your brand-name possessions and buy only store brands from that point onward.

Not a musician but a facilitator of music.
    Gary Oelze , longtime owner of The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA died at age 80.
    The Birchmere got it's start and early fame as a Bluegrass focused club.
    Over the years they moved and expanded their artist base to pretty much all genres.
    Grew to a 500 seat spot with no bad seats and good sound.
    I saw Nektar, Caravan, Camel, King Crimson, Keith Emerson, Allan Holdsworth, Bruford Levin Upper Extremities, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, Laurie Anderson, Steve Morse, Dixie Dregs, Niacin, Gong, Todd Rundgren, Renaissance, The Musical Box and many more.
    So many great acts. And Gary was working the door almost every time. R.I.P.
    I hope that they can stay on track.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/obitu...ub-owner-dead/
    -- Aristotle

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Not a musician but a facilitator of music.
    Gary Oelze , longtime owner of The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA died at age 80.
    The Birchmere got it's start and early fame as a Bluegrass focused club.
    Over the years they moved and expanded their artist base to pretty much all genres.
    Grew to a 500 seat spot with no bad seats and good sound.
    I saw Nektar, Caravan, Camel, King Crimson, Keith Emerson, Allan Holdsworth, Bruford Levin Upper Extremities, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, Laurie Anderson, Steve Morse, Dixie Dregs, Niacin, Gong, Todd Rundgren, Renaissance, The Musical Box and many more.
    So many great acts. And Gary was working the door almost every time. R.I.P.
    I hope that they can stay on track.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/obitu...ub-owner-dead/
    That's an impressive list of bands!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's an impressive list of bands!
    I'm impressed by the people who played there when they could have filled another venue many times the size.
    They have a good rep in an area with no shortage of possible places to play.
    The prog bands, and jazz bands ( Hiromi, Pat Metheny ) that I have seen there and a huge number that I had to miss were the exception.
    It was still mostly bluegrass ( a lot of NewGrass ), country, R&B, Pop, comedy, and legacy rock.
    My go to place when ever possible.
    -- Aristotle

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    RIP Bobby Hull.

not a good day for these along with Lisa Loring and ^Bobby Hull

Cindy Williams, 75 (Laverne & Shirley)
    Annie Wersching, 45 (24, The Runaways, Star Trek)
    Last edited by mnprogger; 01-31-2023 at 12:19 AM.

Cindy Williams also played in the short lived ‘Normal Life’ sitcom with Moon & Dweezil Zappa in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    Cindy Williams, 75 (Laverne & Shirley)
    A good thing about Twitter is seeing real-time updates from those that worked with, or knew, some of these actors and musicians.

Michael McKean is the last surviving cast member from season 1.

The Lone Wolf.

RIP Phil Spalding, one of those musicians who may be in your collection whether you know it or not. Solid bass player and all 'round nice guy according to everyone who knew/met him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I just saw it. Sad news, but well, he lived longer than a lot of others.

Banned
    What's New Pussycat? Burt's dead so I Say a Little Prayer and Walk on By knowing that there will be One Less Bell to Answer. Damn, What the World Needs Now Is Love but Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head.

BTW I bought that 45 of Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head back in the day by B.J. as a 9 or 10 year old. I just loved that song for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Cat View Post

BTW I bought that 45 of Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head back in the day by B.J. as a 9 or 10 year old. I just loved that song for some reason.
    Yeah I had the 45 as well around the same age.