Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1281

Thread: New Zappa releases

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    You mean the Record Store Day thing? (Vinyl edition of Zappa for President.)
    "The Muffin Man Goes to College" - Zappa with Captain Beefheart, it popped up on Spotify on April 18th, anyway. I don't know anything about the release.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    In this day and age where AI generated album artwork is used for all kinds of releases all the time, no matter if indie, mainstream, low budget or big budget, seeing anything non-AI generated is a blessing!
    I don't know - I think with the right GenAI a talented Prompt Engineer could get some decent results.

(Just kidding - I found out that's now a real job title! ) I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "The Muffin Man Goes to College" - Zappa with Captain Beefheart, it popped up on Spotify on April 18th, anyway. I don't know anything about the release.
    That's one of those cheesy "radio broadcast" things.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    That's one of those cheesy "radio broadcast" things.
    Yes, a bootleg...has been around on CD for years.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Obsessed with Sheik Yerbouti all over again. Side four is one I can take to the grave with me ("Wild Love", "Yo Mama"). Been spinning the vinyl.

I don't know - I think with the right GenAI a talented Prompt Engineer could get some decent results.

(Just kidding - I found out that's now a real job title! ) I agree with you.
    It's a bit like the dark satirical short Fallen Art. The general represents the greedy corporations behind AI generators, and the soldiers' corpses represent the generators' datasets build upon artist's works acquired without their consent.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA
    “Pointing out the problem doesn't make it go away!” —Mr. Enter

''The world's worst movie''

The World’s Greatest Sinner

Directed by Timothy Carey • 1962 • United States
    Starring Timothy Carey, Gil Barreto, Betty Rowland

Timothy Carey—the unforgettable character actor whose weird, wiggy energy brought a manic edge to classics like THE KILLING and PATHS OF GLORY—wrote, produced, directed, and starred in this outrageous underground satire of all-American demagoguery, one of the great gonzo cult films of all time. He plays insurance salesman Clarence Hilliard, who, disenchanted with his ordinary life, transforms himself into a self-styled evangelist, declares himself God, and—using rock ’n’ roll and sex—builds a cultlike following that propels him up the political ladder. But first he’ll have to face the wrath of the real God. With a singularly crazed performance from Carey, unhinged camerawork, and a soundtrack by a young Frank Zappa, THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINNER is a truly independent, one-of-a-kind expression of its creator’s warped genius.

THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINNER was restored by the Academy Film Archive and The Film Foundation with funding provided by the Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation. With permission from the Timothy Carey Estate and Absolute Films.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the...reatest-sinner

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    ''The world's worst movie''

The World’s Greatest Sinner

Directed by Timothy Carey • 1962 • United States
    Starring Timothy Carey, Gil Barreto, Betty Rowland

Timothy Carey—the unforgettable character actor whose weird, wiggy energy brought a manic edge to classics like THE KILLING and PATHS OF GLORY—wrote, produced, directed, and starred in this outrageous underground satire of all-American demagoguery, one of the great gonzo cult films of all time. He plays insurance salesman Clarence Hilliard, who, disenchanted with his ordinary life, transforms himself into a self-styled evangelist, declares himself God, and—using rock ’n’ roll and sex—builds a cultlike following that propels him up the political ladder. But first he’ll have to face the wrath of the real God. With a singularly crazed performance from Carey, unhinged camerawork, and a soundtrack by a young Frank Zappa, THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINNER is a truly independent, one-of-a-kind expression of its creator’s warped genius.

THE WORLD’S GREATEST SINNER was restored by the Academy Film Archive and The Film Foundation with funding provided by the Hobson/Lucas Family Foundation. With permission from the Timothy Carey Estate and Absolute Films.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/the...reatest-sinner
    I saw that on TCM probably about 10 or 12 years ago. I remember recognizing a couple musical themes in the score, that Frank recycled in later pieces, but now that I think about it, I can't remember which ones.

Just listening to the 1973 Hollywood Palladium show that's included in the Overnite Sensation 50th Anniversary box set, and am wondering:

Was Jean-Luc Ponty known in the US at all before he played with Zappa? When I was a kid he was sort of a household-name, but I don't know if it's because of his time with Zappa, or something else, like being on the Mike Douglas show or something...

Was Jean-Luc Ponty known in the US at all before he played with Zappa?
    Not really. Bear in mind that Ponty's connection with Zappa goes back to 1969, very early in his career, when he appeared on Hot Rats and recorded the King Kong album. He had only released his first US album the year before, his few previous albums being on European labels. More than his time with Zappa, I think it was his stint with the Mahavishnu Orchestra that really brought him to the wider public's attention.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Doesn't the guitarist at 0:15 look like FZ ?

Doesn't the guitarist at 0:15 look like FZ ?
    Actually, both of them do.

"America Drinks and Goes Home"
    Though it doesn't obviously sound that way, the chord progression for this is absurdly complicated; it's like every jazz re-interpretation of every Great American Songbook tune mashed together. Even dedicated bebop players might find those changes tough to solo over without some preparation. One clue: When the second verse ("I don't regret having met up with a girl who....") begins, the music sounds like it has modulated up by at least a step. It hasn't. It's in exactly the same key, but - as in "The Song is You" by Jerome Kern - multiple modulations within the verse combine to create that illusion.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-17-2024 at 10:17 AM.

Just listening to the 1973 Hollywood Palladium show that's included in the Overnite Sensation 50th Anniversary box set, and am wondering:

Was Jean-Luc Ponty known in the US at all before he played with Zappa? When I was a kid he was sort of a household-name, but I don't know if it's because of his time with Zappa, or something else, like being on the Mike Douglas show or something...
    Ponty had already recorded in the mid 60s , his most "famous" record the Violin Sumitt record from 66...but then this would still be for a specialized Jazz public...from memory Zappa disliked Ponty's "Diva " attitude and General ingratitude
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

It looks like (at least as of now) there are 3 tracks from this album released on YouTube.

This one has a feature that is common to a lot of live albums on CD and is a pet annoyance of mine: putting the spoken intro to the next song as part of the track with the song before it.

I guess I can understand why a DJ, for example, might not want to start a track with a spoken intro but wants to "put the needle down" (so to speak) where the actual music begins, and then "lift the needle" when the music ends. But that makes no sense when the CD tracks are part of a playlist; who wants to hear "The next song is gonna be..." and then not hear the next song? A spoken intro belongs on the track with that song on it. It's just dumb otherwise.
    What we feel we have to solve is why the dregs have not dissolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Batchman View Post
    This one has a feature that is common to a lot of live albums on CD and is a pet annoyance of mine: putting the spoken intro to the next song as part of the track with the song before it.

I guess I can understand why a DJ, for example, might not want to start a track with a spoken intro but wants to "put the needle down" (so to speak) where the actual music begins, and then "lift the needle" when the music ends. But that makes no sense when the CD tracks are part of a playlist; who wants to hear "The next song is gonna be..." and then not hear the next song? A spoken intro belongs on the track with that song on it. It's just dumb otherwise.
    Totally agree.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Was Jean-Luc Ponty known in the US at all before he played with Zappa?
    If you mean when Ponty joined Zappa in 1973, I think he was getting a bit of attention from his solo records and had guested on Elton John's Honky Chateau in 1972. Elton mentioned in Rolling Stone that he had hopes of signing Ponty to the Rocket label he was starting then.

Listening to those 1973 Zappa tapes, it is interesting that in nearly every band intro Ian Underwood gets big applause, Ponty a moderate reaction and some recognition of George Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Ponty had already recorded in the mid 60s , his most "famous" record the Violin Sumitt record from 66...but then this would still be for a specialized Jazz public...from memory Zappa disliked Ponty's "Diva " attitude and General ingratitude
    The line I remember hearing was Ponty was the "only musician Zappa had nothing nice to say about". One story I heard was that Ponty wanted to be paid publishing for his solos, as if they were actual compositions.

/\/\/\
    Well, Zappa sure turned solos into compositions!

The 'art' and package on this new one is zzzzzzzzzz... oh well. Missed opportunity with that venue and that date. Jeeeesh.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    The 'art' and package on this new one is zzzzzzzzzz... oh well. Missed opportunity with that venue and that date. Jeeeesh.
    As long as it's not the size of vinyl, then I don't care