Page 106 of 160 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    There are a couple ways to do it:
    1. Follow Ron's instructions. Mine were too verbose.

2. The other way is to copy & paste the link into your post and then type these tags around it: [img] and [/img].

Attachment 13453
    Water looks cold. What is that from?

And a good one. I was totally stumped for the first few seconds. But knowing a little something about novelists working in Hollywood helped. I'll hide the rest: <<
    I never would have guess.

I don't recognize the actress. Who is it and what movie?

The costumes make me think it's either The Hunchback of Notre Dame or Robin Hood movie but the staging makes me think it's Joan of Arc.
    Are you fucking serious? That luscious brunette is Maureen O'Hara in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939).
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Ron, I see, Nosferatu, runs early tomorrow morning. Silent 1922.
    I saw that. What a great one. So creepy. A favorite.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Nosferatu, the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Metropolis - three all-time silent film masterpieces to me.

Any others rank up there not counting Chaplin, Keaton and the like?

Before one of you guys calls me out on it, Maureen O'Hara was a red head. I referred to her as a brunette.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Nosferatu, the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Metropolis - three all-time silent film masterpieces to me.

Metropolis blows me away every time I see it.

Are you asking for other silent horror films?

Here's a great site with reviews of silent movies:

http://silent-volume.blogspot.com

Another one:

http://www.silentera.com

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Water looks cold. What is that from?
    Are you fucking serious? That luscious redhead is Clara Bow in "Hula" (1927).

I never would have guess.
    You have seen that movie, right?

That luscious brunette is Maureen O'Hara in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (1939).
    Oh, well that explains it. I never recognize Maureen O'Hara when she's young. But, hey! I sorta got the movie right which, I'd like to point out, I haven't seen since I was like 8 or 9. Ya gotta give me props for that.

Two other silent classics that would fit on your list are The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with John Barrymore. I've seen both but it's been so long ago.

Chaney was also in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Haven't seen that version, tho.

But as for your list, I feel like there's another we're missing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Are you fucking serious? That luscious redhead is Clara Bow in "Hula" (1927).

You have seen that movie, right?

Oh, well that explains it. I never recognize Maureen O'Hara when she's young. But, hey! I sorta got the movie right which, I'd like to point out, I haven't seen since I was like 8 or 9. Ya gotta give me props for that.

Two other silent classics that would fit on your list are The Phantom of the Opera with Lon Chaney and Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with John Barrymore. I've seen both but it's been so long ago.

Chaney was also in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Haven't seen that version, tho.

But as for your list, I feel like there's another we're missing.
    Yes, those three are all great. Barrymore in "Jekyll & Hyde" is a trip. The 1932 one is still better.

Yes, I've seen "The Thin Man." But, I tried to keep myself under the 30-second Jeopardy constraint, but failed.

I've never seen 'Hula," but I guess I should have known that one.

Yes, those three are all great. Barrymore in "Jekyll & Hyde" is a trip. The 1932 one is still better.

Yes, I've seen "The Thin Man." But, I tried to keep myself under the 30-second Jeopardy constraint, but failed.

The Spencer Tracy/Ingrid Bergman B&W 1941 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a really good psychological thriller. Tracy is more brutal and abusive than March's ape-faced version, with less make up.

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Not necessarily. Besides, I was just bustin' your balls.

Truth is, I'd estimate I haven't seen 15 silent movies. I take that back. I forgot about Keaton & Chaplin. But it wouldn't be much more than that. So, maybe 2 dozen. I haven't seen any of D.W. Griffith's movies nor any of von Stroheim's. I've seen a couple of Chaney's, I'm pretty sure I've seen a Pickford movie (but I don't remember what), none of Fairbanks Sr's, none of Arbuckle's, one of Bow's, and none of Bara's. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a single Keystone Cops movie or short. I've seen the three classics Buddhabreath mentioned, of course. Not sure the number of Chaplin silent features but have seen quite a few 2 and 3 reelers; a local TV station back in the '70s used to show them on Sundays, I think. Went to a Keaton film festival at a theater in NYC when I was stationed on Gov's Island. Boy was that a long day. Not sure the number of movies we saw but we saw all the features Keaton produced himself, so, 7 or 8. And I've seen what are considered two of the greatest ever made: Battleship Potemkin and Nanook of the North, both in a film studies class. I can't think of anything else.

Keaton & Chaplin were in their element in the silent era. I never appreciated their talkies.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Der Golem, imo.

Banned
    Metropolis blows me away every time I see it.

Are you asking for other silent horror films?
    Not necessarily horror, just what are the best silent films that really stand the test of time despite the obvious limitations. I'll check out the links and I'll definitely look for Der Golem Joe, I think I've seen snippets or at least tantalizing still from that, thanks.

It really sucks that TCM is wasting every Friday in October with those shitty Godzilla movies.

It really sucks that TCM is wasting every Friday in October with those shitty Godzilla movies.
    My thoughts exactly
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The only genre I pay less attention to than Japenese monster movies is American super hero movies. Now if Godzilla wore his underwear outside his clothes...................

^^

Congrats Hal. *&^%)(*^%$#^%$)(_+Game!!
    The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry, buddy. I really thought UW would give us a better game. I just didn't realize what a god Chase Young is.

What movie are you guys talking about?

BTW, "Mad Love" (1935) with Peter Lorre and Colin Clive is on TCM tonight at 8:00, followed by one I've never seen, "The Most Dangerous Game" (1932) with Fay Wray and Joel McCrea.

An old B&W football movie with Red Grange.

An old B&W football movie with Red Grange.
    Red is a color.

lol. Yes it is. And a grange a country house with farm buildings attached.

I don't know about you two. Anyway boys, let the films begin. I'm going to open with two color movies, Legend of Hell House and Brides of Dracula and no, you can't sleep with the lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The only genre I pay less attention to than Japenese monster movies is American super hero movies. Now if Godzilla wore his underwear outside his clothes...................
    I agree with all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    You and Staun and me three.

There are only two Japanese monster movies I can think of off hand that I liked: The Manster and Attack of the Mushroom People.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.